trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

1 hour ago, RainDear said:

My opinion, just my opinion. Not intending to speak for anyone else.

It seems to me we are at war (WWIII?). Every country in the world is being invaded by an insidious enemy.  We can't fight this enemy with guns, or bombs. The military can't fight it for us. The Who, NIH, and medical experts are not the enemy. The people mandating the lockdowns are not the enemy. Those enforcing the lockdowns are not the enemy. Donald Trump, The governors, Prime Ministers or other officials are not the enemy. Nor are the Democrats or Republicans nor any other political party. COVID-19 is the enemy. The only way we have to fight it is to practice the protocols we have been given by the experts. Each one of us has to decide for ourselves "The buck stops here. This thing will not use me as a stepping stone to its next victim." Each of us has to do this.

If anyone thinks, "Well I'm young and strong. It only kills the sick, old or weak. Weeding them out will make everyone else stronger." Think about it...Are you sure there are no sick, weak or elderly persons in your life that you want to spend another Christmas or other holiday with?? We know now that many survivors come out of this with organ damage that could be permanent. Are you sure you are ready to risk that?  We have already had places where temporary shelters were erected for patients because the healthcare system was overloaded with COVID patients. If we don't reduce the numbers of new cases, we could have people dying from easily treated illnesses or injuries just because they can't get treatment in an over loaded healthcare system.

I may be wrong on some points, but the way I see this now, there are three possible outcomes in our future:

1. Most (all?) of us will take this threat seriously and begin to use the recommended protocols to the best of our ability and give COVID fewer and fewer victims until it has been contained and eventually fades back into the woodwork at least for a time. This will give our researchers a chance to develop a vaccine or treatment protocol to be ready if it comes back.

2. Enough of us will get serious enough about following the procedures to reduce the number of new cases so that our healthcare system will be able to cope. Again the scientists will be able to get a vaccine or treatment ready to help get it under control.

3. We'll keep on the way we are going now. The virus will keep spreading like wildfire and a lot more people will die than would have ever been necessary. We may still get a vaccine or treatment, but an awful lot of us will never be able to profit by it.

The enemy is real, even if you can't see, smell or taste it. Please don't wait for more deaths before you decide to fight back.

What "Auntie Raine" said.

👍

2 hours ago, RainDear said:

My opinion, just my opinion. Not intending to speak for anyone else.

It seems to me we are at war (WWIII?). Every country in the world is being invaded by an insidious enemy.  We can't fight this enemy with guns, or bombs. The military can't fight it for us. The Who, NIH, and medical experts are not the enemy. The people mandating the lockdowns are not the enemy. Those enforcing the lockdowns are not the enemy. Donald Trump, The governors, Prime Ministers or other officials are not the enemy. Nor are the Democrats or Republicans nor any other political party. COVID-19 is the enemy. The only way we have to fight it is to practice the protocols we have been given by the experts. Each one of us has to decide for ourselves "The buck stops here. This thing will not use me as a stepping stone to its next victim." Each of us has to do this.

This is pretty much exactly how our Prime Minister presented it. We are a Citizens Army at war against Covid-19. Unfortunately, with more testing, we now have more cases, so there is the possibility we may have to backstep from the very slight loosening of restrictions that started yesterday, but if it keeps us alive and healthy, I have no problem with that. I am very grateful to work for an essential service.

10 hours ago, olympe said:

Well, I don't. I may be a wimp, but I know it.

Oh I don't say everyone should go my route. I'm not saying it doesn't bloody hurt. But for ME (as RainDear would so wisely say, this is only me etc) the HORRIBLENESS of the numb jaw etc afterwards, leaving one drooling and unable to have a coffee is way worse than half an hour of pain.

Just that the pain from having your jaw drilled is way above the pain (if any) of a covid test, no matter how you cut it.

8 hours ago, purpledragonclaw said:

Thank you RainDear! As always, you know just what to say. 

On a chloroquine update, a whistleblower complaint came out today from someone who used to be part of BARDA. It's worth a read. And anti-vaxxers are already coming out against a coronavirus vaccine.

This kind of thing is what's so depressing to read. And this: 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-no-social-distancing-for-a-tactile-trump-desperate-for-his-churchillian-moment-11983765

WAY to go spreading the virus.

It has become obvious that Johnson was infected when he went round a hospital full of infected people and shook hands all over, saying look - I shake hands (yes, he SAID that - and was roundly ticked off afterwards by his advisors !). Three weeks later he was fighting for his life in ITU.  I am SO glad he had that experience; it has totally changed his attitude to it all.

Global Covid 19 Coronavirus Updates as of May 6, 2020

Ecuador indigenous community fears extinction from virus

Members of one of Ecuador's indigenous communities have fled into the Amazon rainforest for shelter after fears that it could be wiped out as coronavirus infections rise in its territory.

With about 744 members, the Siekopai nation, along the border between Ecuador and Peru, has 15 confirmed cases of the virus.

Philippine patients to undergo COVID-19 treatment trial

At least 100 coronavirus patients in the Philippines will be given the anti-flu drug Avigan from Japan, as part of a clinical trial in treating the highly contagious disease, the Health Department said. 

The department was preparing a protocol to choose the patients to be included, said Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire.

Shanghai Disneyland to reopen next week

The Disneyland theme park in Shanghai will reopen on May 11 under "enhanced health and safety measures," the company said.

Only limited attendance will be allowed initially, and visitors will need to book tickets and make reservations in advance.

Social distancing will be maintained in lines for amenities, in restaurants, on rides and other facilities and sanitization and disinfection will be boosted, the company said in a news release.

Germany to reopen shops and schools in May: draft agreement

Germany will fully reopen shops and schools in May after weeks of shutdown imposed to control the spread of the coronavirus, according to a draft agreement between Chancellor Angela Merkel and regional premiers. 

"Even after initial steps to open up were introduced from April 20, the number of new infections remained low," the document read, with "no new wave of infection" so far detected - justifying the new measures.

Top UK scientific adviser resigns after breaking lockdown rules

Neil Ferguson, the Imperial College epidemiologist whose modelling of the outbreak helped shape the British government's response to the coronavirus, has resigned after it was revealed he breached lockdown guidelines.

Ferguson stepped down after The Daily Telegraph reported that he had broken the rules a month ago to meet his partner.

The professor was a member of the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE).

"I accept I made an error of judgement and took the wrong course of action," Ferguson said in a statement. "I have therefore stepped back from my involvement in SAGE."

Daily update for Oberhausen, NRW, Germany:

As of today, Wednesday, May 6, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 56 active cases, while 169 people have recovered. All in all there have been 227 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic..9 persons are treated in hospitals, no one of them currently needs intensive care. 2* persons sadly died. 269 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 5745 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

*) The second death is a citizen of Oberhausen who died in a hospice in a neighbour town, but just as the death of a woman from Duisburg who died in a hospital in Oberhausen wasn't added to the tally for Oberhausen, this person is listed here and not in the town where s/he died. According to the Infektionsschutzgesetz (=Infection Protection Act in Germany), a person is listed a Covid-19 casualty also when s/he didn't die from Covid-19 directly, but was infected with the virus at the time of the death. The RKI doesn't make a difference between these cases.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Covid 19 Coronavirus Global Updates

Putin warns agianst hurrying to lift coronavirus restrictions

President Vladimir Putin said Russia should not rush to lift coronavirus-related restrictions, warning that any haste in removing preventative measures could undo their work so far.

Putin said governors would have the responsibility of deciding how to proceed in their own regions.

The country's coronavirus crisis response centre said that the number of cases had risen by more than 10,000 for a fourth consecutive day and now stood at 165,929. Russia has recorded 1,537 coronavirus-related deaths.

Yemen reports first three coronavirus cases, one death in Lahaj

Yemen reported the first three cases of the novel coronavirus in the southern province of Lahaj, one of whom has died, and another infection in the southern port of Aden.

The emergency coronavirus committee of Yemen's Saudi-backed government also said one COVID-19 patient diagnosed earlier in Taiz province had died. This takes the total count in areas under control of the internationally recognised government to 25 infections with five deaths.

The Houthi movement, which controls the capital Sanaa and most big urban centres, has so far reported one infection, a Somali national who was found dead in a hotel.

Iran warns of 'rising trend' as virus cases top 100,00

Iran warned of a "rising trend" in its coronavirus outbreak as it said 1,680 new infections took its overall caseload beyond the 100,000 mark.

The Islamic republic has struggled to contain the Middle East's deadliest COVID-19 outbreak since announcing its first cases in mid-February.

"We are witnessing a rising trend in the past three or four days, which is significant," health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour told a televised news conference.

Qatar announces 830 more cases

Qatar's Ministry of Public Health said there were 830 infected cases of coronavirus in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of active cases to 15,890. The total number of people recovered is 2,070.

Slovakia reopens businesses as cases ease

Slovakia reopened restaurant terraces, hotels, all shops outside large malls and other businesses, expediting plans to revive the economy thanks to better-than-expected progress in containing the coronavirus pandemic.

The government, which opened small shops on April 22, also gave the green light for religious services and weddings to take place with a limited number of guests.

Slovakia's coronavirus lockdown loosened further as the government on Wednesday merged the second and third stages of its reopening plan, after tests showed 11 consecutive days of single-digit growth in new infections.

Czech study shows low COVID-19 incidence in population

A Czech "collective immunity study" testing the presence of COVID-19 antibodies in people without symptoms has shown a very low incidence of the disease, health authorities said.

The Czech Republic tested 26,549 people - some randomly selected - in four localities using antibody tests and found 107 new cases within the study that ended on May 1.

India plans airlift for 400,000 stranded overseas

India will begin special flights on Thursday to bring home some 400,000 citizens stranded overseas by travel restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic, prompting some worries over the risk that imported infections could fuel contagion in the country.

Responding to the distress among India's huge diaspora, the government has asked national carrier Air India to provide aircraft to bring back Indians who want to return from the Middle East, Singapore, the United Kingdom and the United States.

The Indian navy has also been asked to help by sending two ships to evacuate citizens from the Maldives, in the Indian Ocean.

I just don't get how stupid some people can be:

‘It’s irresponsible’: Washington state sees sudden rise in Covid parties -  Gatherings held with the intent of catching, and overcoming, coronavirus are jeopardizing public health says state official

You can call them BYOC parties. That’s bring your own Covid-19.

Health officials in Walla Walla, Washington, are admonishing the sudden rise in so-called “Covid-19 parties” where non-infected guests mingle with those who have tested positive for the virus, ostensibly in hopes of speeding up the process of catching, and overcoming, the virus.

“Walla Walla County health officials are receiving reports of Covid-19 parties occurring in our community, where non-infected people mingle with an infected person in an effort to catch the virus,” the county said in a press release Tuesday.

Source:  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/06/its-irresponsible-washington-state-sees-sudden-rise-in-covid-parties

I just stumbled over a highly interesting (and pretty long) read about the science of SARS-CoV-2:

Profile of a killer: the complex biology powering the coronavirus pandemic - Scientists are piecing together how SARS-CoV-2 operates, where it came from and what it might do next — but pressing questions remain about the source of COVID-19.

Source:  https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01315-7

Edited by Astreya

On 5/2/2020 at 10:12 PM, AngelsSin said:

@StormBirdRising 

And saying you are safe at the beach is not true in the least. All you have to do is look at Spring Break in my state Florida. Many got sick and died. So that WARPED Logic is not even close to being true or accurate. It is extremely selfish and arrogant and Entitled to think you have the Right to put others at risk just so you can go hang out at the beach. You don't know that those who are asymptomatic won't show up there. Or even those who actually know they are sick will stay away.  It shows a Callous Disregard for the Well Being of those around you. My opinion is it shows a Warped sense of reality and morality. I'm sure a lot of the cases we are seeing now in other areas are from those who traveled to my state because they could.  Just because you can doesn't mean you Should!

The U.S. has the highest Death Date for the Entire World.  You can almost Combine the next 3 countries with the next highest death rates to get to the U.S.'s death rate and you should find that Extremely DisturbingWe are supposed to be Leading the World to be better, not Be the Leader in Deaths Worldwide. And until we can stop this Virus we All  need to do our parts to Protect each other.  And that means sacrificing some Privileges,  because going to hang out at the beach, I hate to break it to you, is a Privilege not a right. I can understand how that might confuse you. Living in the U.S. grants us many Privileges as well as rights. I don't remember it being in the constitution that being able to go to the beach is a Right.

You might feel you have the right to take that risk and if it was only those who think as you do who would be at risk I'd say have at it, but it's not just You or Those who Think Like You who would be put at risk. It's callous and spoiled.

I am as safe at the beach as I am at a grocery store that is open, or at a hardware store that is open or at a park that is open. I don't know what happened in Florida, or who actually got sick from going to the beach or who died from going to the beach. The beaches here in the OC were OPEN from day one, they had never closed down. I was still going to the beach and enjoying the fresh sea air and the sunshine and the sand under my feet. I don't care who showed up. Everyone has a right to go there. You tell me how it shows "a Callous Disregard for the Well Being of those around you". I go to work every day, I come home, I go to the beach as often as I can, my gym is closed, my pool club is closed. Give me a break. I think one of the reasons we in the OC have the lowest death rate is because we choose to be healthy and physically fit. We live at the beach, we live at the gym, we live at our pool clubs. When we are not at work we are active. I don't come in contact with anyone that I haven't been coming in contact with, other than the people I come in contact with every day. So you tell me who all these masses of people are that I am infecting by going to the beach.

The OC is leading the State of Caifornia and the nation in containing the virus. And our beaches have been open since the beginning. Out of 3,300,000 million residents we have had 3004 cases as of 2100 hours on May 6. We have had 65 coronavirus deaths, which means we had 2939 recoveries.

Your assertion that " going to hang out at the beach, I hate to break it to you, is a Privilege not a right" is WRONG. Freedom of movement in the United States is a right, not a privilege, it is a Constitutional right, it is unalienable. And no, the Constitution does not say with specificity that going to the beach is a right; if it delineated every right that Americans have the document would be a thousand pages long, saying that we have freedom of movement encompasses the beach and all other places in the United States.

I'm not confused by the Constitution like you are. It gives me unalienable rights that no one and no government can take away. If you choose to give up your freedoms then knock yourself out, I choose to keep mine.

"It's callous and spoiled." I put no one's life at risk when I am at the beach, not even my own. Look at the totality of circumstances before you choose to get on your soap box, misquote the Constitution, and attempt to impose your will on other people. If you don't think it is safe to go to the beach, or anywhere else, stay home. No one is telling you do go there. If you think you will catch the Covid 19 coronavirus from someone who has been at the beach, stay home.

Edited by StormBirdRising
clean up text

4 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

Your assertion that " going to hang out at the beach, I hate to break it to you, is a Privilege not a right" is WRONG. Freedom of movement in the United States is a right, not a privilege, it is a Constitutional right, it is unalienable. And no, the Constitution does not say with specificity that going to the beach is a right; if it delineated every right that Americans have the document would be a thousand pages long, saying that we have freedom of movement encompasses the beach and all other places in the United States.

I'm not confused by the Constitution like you are. It gives me unalienable rights that no one and no government can take away. If you choose to give up your freedoms then knock yourself out, I choose to keep mine.

Seems as though the Supreme Court has previously said otherwise.

Article in the Sacramento Bee: https://www.sacbee.com/article241629376.html?fbclid=IwAR2RQ1K7Digai82yQQzpqMBNmJMDT0QLuWGGMqfaQFV619ryqP9bTL_Latk

Salient bits for those of us who don't want to either subscribe or shut off our adblockers: "Stay-at-home orders to fight coronavirus are protected by the US Constitution" - The Sacramento Bee. "The law is clear: the government has broad power in a public health emergency to take the steps needed to stop the spread of a communicable disease." "In 1905, the Supreme Court declared: 'Upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members,' they added."

As of today, Thursday, May 7, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 60 active cases, while 170 people have recovered. All in all there have been 233 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic..9 persons are treated in hospitals, no one of them currently needs intensive care. 3 persons sadly died. 339 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6161 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

7 minutes ago, catstaff said:

Seems as though the Supreme Court has previously said otherwise.

Article in the Sacramento Bee: https://www.sacbee.com/article241629376.html?fbclid=IwAR2RQ1K7Digai82yQQzpqMBNmJMDT0QLuWGGMqfaQFV619ryqP9bTL_Latk

Salient bits for those of us who don't want to either subscribe or shut off our adblockers: "Stay-at-home orders to fight coronavirus are protected by the US Constitution" - The Sacramento Bee. "The law is clear: the government has broad power in a public health emergency to take the steps needed to stop the spread of a communicable disease." "In 1905, the Supreme Court declared: 'Upon the principle of self-defense, of paramount necessity, a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members,' they added."

This is just the opinion of the Sacramento Bee. They were referencing Supreme Court cases regarding smallpox and other vaccines regarding a community's right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease. It was narrowly construed, which means the decision was confined to vaccines, and non pandemic scenarios, and as we know, when it was challenged, US citizens cannot be forced to have vaccinations or give their children vaccinations. All the government can do is prevent the Anti Vaxxers from sending their children to public schools.

In order for the Federal Government or for a State Government or a County or Jurisdiction to restrict the movement of its citizens because of the Covid 19 coronavirus they would have to prove that it was necessary to contain the Covid 19 and there was no other legal remedy. Additionally, the respective Government entities would have to prove that the restrictions were not done in an arbitrary and capricious manner. They will be unable to do that. The standard of proof is very high. They cannot use media hype, or doctor's opinions, or what the CDC or the WHO think "might" happen. They need conclusive proof to deny an American citizen of their Constitutional rights, and they don't have it. They also have to prove that each citizen was denied that right in the same manner or it will not withstand scrutiny.

I didn't invent this system. That's what the system is and that is what the standards of proof are. I believe the thresh hold to be insurmountable.

Furthermore, when President Trump allowed the "state of emergency" order and Federal restrictions to expire, all bets were off so to speak. The Supremacy Clause is the most important guarantee of individual liberties in the Constitution. It assures that the Constitution and Federal laws take precedence over state law. It binds all judges to adhere to that principle. Sure, a Governor can order his State locked down, or close businesses, but there must be a compelling reason that he can prove in a court of law. I don't find that to be the case with the Covid 19 coronavirus.

They are only guessing that closing beaches down has prevented its spread. And in California, Governor Newsom made a grave mistake in ordering OC beaches that had previously been open, during the duration of the pandemic, without incident, to be closed for no reason, while he allowed neighboring beaches.in areas with a higher amount of infections and deaths to reopen.

@StormBirdRising you've had 65 deaths out of 3004 confirmed cases. That doesn't mean you've had 2959 recoveries because most of those cases are still occurring. As in, people are still sick with the virus. Just because they haven't died doesn't automatically mean they have recovered. 

18 minutes ago, ValidEmotions said:

@StormBirdRising you've had 65 deaths out of 3004 confirmed cases. That doesn't mean you've had 2959 recoveries because most of those cases are still occurring. As in, people are still sick with the virus. Just because they haven't died doesn't automatically mean they have recovered. 

County Supervisors are saying that there have been 2939 recoveries. We have never had more than  25 Covid 19 coronavirus cases in our hospitals at any given time. So, currently if the Supervisors, Doctors, and Nurses are wrong then there could still be 25 in limbo. Our hospitals and emergency rooms are empty. Some nurses and medical personnel have been furloughed.

Global Covid 19 Coronavirus Updates

Singapore reports 741 new cases, taking total to 20,939

Singapore reported 741 new coronavirus cases, its health ministry said, bringing the total number of cases to 20,939.

The vast majority of the new cases are migrant workers living in dormitories, the health ministry said in a statement. Five are permanent residents.

Bank of England forecasts a real wakeup call: UK minister

Bank of England forecasts that the UK could be facing the biggest economic slump for 300 years are a "real wake up call", Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis said.

In what it called an illustrative scenario, the BoE said it saw a plunge of 14 percent in UK's economy in 2020 followed by 15 percent bounce-back in 2021.

Lewis also said the public should be cautious over media articles that the government's stay at home message to curb the spread of the coronavirus would be significantly changed in a review of the lockdown over the next few days.

"I would just say to people to not get too carried away with what we may be reading and just wait until the government guidelines and the prime minister’s statement," Lewis told BBC TV.

Merkel's chief of staff: Pandemic to last at least for rest of year

The pandemic will last for at least the rest of this year, German Chancellor Angela Merkel's chief of staff told Deutschlandfunk radio.

"We are not living after the pandemic now - rather we are living in the middle of a pandemic, one that will be with us for a while - at least for this year and that's being very optimistic," Helge Braun said.

Merkel announced steps on Wednesday to ease the lockdown in Germany but at the same time launched an "emergency brake" mechanism allowing for renewed restrictions in case infections pick up again.

Thailand records three new cases, no new deaths

Thailand reported three new coronavirus cases, bringing its total to 2,992, a senior official said.

Of the new cases, two were Thai men who had returned from Kazakhstan and have been in state quarantine, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, a spokesman of the government's Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration.

The third case was a 59-year-old Thai woman in the southern province of Yala, he said.

Edited by StormBirdRising
Added new info

8 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

The OC is leading the State of Caifornia and the nation in containing the virus. And our beaches have been open since the beginning. Out of 3,300,000 million residents we have had 3004 cases as of 2100 hours on May 6. We have had 65 coronavirus deaths, which means we had 2939 recoveries.

"It's callous and spoiled." I put no one's life at risk when I am at the beach, not even my own. Look at the totality of circumstances before you choose to get on your soap box, misquote the Constitution, and attempt to impose your will on other people. If you don't think it is safe to go to the beach, or anywhere else, stay home. No one is telling you do go there. If you think you will catch the Covid 19 coronavirus from someone who has been at the beach, stay home.

1. This is totally, verifiably false. Orange County is neither leading the state of California or the nation in containing this virus. Not even close. 

2. During a pandemic, freedom of movement is a privilege. The Constitution wasn't written with a pandemic in mind. 

Well, if freedom of movement is the ultimate right that may not be limited in any way, why can't you just waltz into the Oval Office? After all, you're a free citizen with the guaranteed right of free movement. Why can't you just walk into any secret lab, highly restricted military base or wherever you like? Why can a mother-in-law be banned from the delivery room her daughter-in-law gives birth in? How is it possible for you to sue someone who freely walks into your home uninvited? Why do hospitals, malls and clubs often have security who make people leave? After all, it's a free country, and you're free to go wherever you please.

Or maybe there are some restrictions in place, and for good reason? Maybe keeping people from dying from a new disease is another good reason, too?

Edited by olympe

One person's freedom ends where another person's freedom begins.

People tend to forget that.

As of today, Friday, May 8, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 67 active cases, while 170 people have recovered. All in all there have been 240 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic..9 persons are treated in hospitals, no one of them currently needs intensive care. 3 persons sadly died. 348 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6300 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Great... Just when they decide to ease the lockdown measure, the case number is rising (probably still some fallout of the care home outbreak last week, though).  Additionally they really want to allow visits in the care homes again (albeit after registration). I have a bad feeling about this.

3 hours ago, Astreya said:

As of today, Friday, May 8, 10:00 GMT+2,  my home town (population 211 000) has 67 active cases, while 170 people have recovered. All in all there have been 240 people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic..9 persons are treated in hospitals, no one of them currently needs intensive care. 3 persons sadly died. 348 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6300 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen so far.

Great... Just when they decide to ease the lockdown measure, the case number is rising (probably still some fallout of the care home outbreak last week, though).  Additionally they really want to allow visits in the care homes again (albeit after registration). I have a bad feeling about this.

You're not alone with your bad feeling. As a matter of fact, I have a bad feeling about easing the lockdown measures at all right now. The case numbers are already rising from the first easing measures - and they were pretty light to begin with. I also don't think that enforcing a lockdown in cities or district towns that have more than 50 cases per 100,000 population in a week. If we look at the same rate for all of Germany, we'd get to (almost) 6000 cases per day - that's what we had on our worst days. Maybe 15 to 20 per 100,000 would have been acceptable, but 50? *facepalm*

I also feel like the cities that have to go back into lockdown mode should be isolated as much as possible to stop the spread of Covid-19.

That being said, congratulations to the US for reaching 1,000,000 active cases today.

Just wanted to say as a biochemist, this 'Plandemic' documentary being passed around is really aggravating to see. IMO, it's blatantly obvious it's full of crap after only a minute. Somehow, it being deleted for false information strengthens the idea that they're telling the truth. What a world we live in!

10 minutes ago, olympe said:

That being said, congratulations to the US for reaching 1,000,000 active cases today.

*sigh*

And apparently that is totally acceptable to this administration. :angry: As long as we can "open up" so the economy improves and Mr. Trump can get re-elected.

Edited by purplehaze

18 minutes ago, olympe said:

are we great again? :dry: *sigh*

33 minutes ago, olympe said:

You're a few days late with this congratulations, we passed this milestone earlier in the week. I just didn't feel like posting it.

25 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

And apparently that is totally acceptable to this administration. :angry: As long as we can "open up" so the economy improves and Mr. Trump can get re-elected.

The gears of capitalism must turn no matter how many people have to be sacrificed to the machine! 

As a heads-up to anyone who may be in Ohio, Ohio is allowing employers to report employees who don't return to work for fear of catching coronavirus. Being fearful of getting coronavirus is not enough of a reason to keep collecting unemployment, it seems. Ohio is also considering cutting off unemployment benefits to people who have been reported. Other states are already considering following suit, including North Carolina and Alabama. 

George Orwell is prescient once again.

Indeed - most people infected are apparently asymptomatic. As I have said before - I am fairly sure I had it early on - and there was nothing significant enough for me to do anything about it except get a scrip for eye antibiotics... On the other hand my daughter, with symptoms, tested negative. It all seems alarmingly random.

2 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

You're a few days late with this congratulations, we passed this milestone earlier in the week. I just didn't feel like posting it.

I believe he's referring to active cases (excluding cases in which the patient either died or recovered already) surpassing the million milestone today, and not the overall cases, which includes dead and recovered.