trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

3 hours ago, trystan said:

she was saying that everyone who gets it and is either really sick, or dies, or has long covid (well, she didn't use "long covid," everything got lumped together) is because they had underlying conditions and comorbidities

And who's gonna say that she or one of her loved ones wouldn't be one of those with hidden underlying conditions? I mean, nearly 8 million infected people mean even a hypothetical "only" 0,3% are 24 000 people. Can anyone really rely on their luck regarding this? I certainly won't.

I too cannot wait until there are adults back in the White House (and the Senate!) and the scientists are allowed to freely speak their mind and make proper recommendations.

Please let that happen!!! Otherwise we shall be in a sad way indeed, and not just from Covid-19.

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

I didn't doubt that Dr.Anthony Fauci would try to serve the people of the US as well as he can, but if he is sidelined by Mr.Trump and his cronies, they make things much more difficult for him.

agreed.  they've already edited a sound byte from Dr Fauci that makes it sound like he's praising trump's response to covid. icky.

1 hour ago, Classycal said:

Trystan, I voted, too, for said new president.  (I hope.)

woohoo!

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

And who's gonna say that she or one of her loved ones wouldn't be one of those with hidden underlying conditions? I mean, nearly 8 million infected people mean even a hypothetical "only" 0,3% are 24 000 people. Can anyone really rely on their luck regarding this? I certainly won't.

well, she's had cancer.... so i think that might count as an underlying condition.  and she's 59, her husband is in his late 60s, if not early 70s, so there's the age factor.  so there's that.  she didn't actually say the people who died was an acceptable amount, but honestly i was waiting for her to say that. 😮

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

I too cannot wait until there are adults back in the White House (and the Senate!) and the scientists are allowed to freely speak their mind and make proper recommendations.

Please let that happen!!! Otherwise we shall be in a sad way indeed, and not just from Covid-19.

yes yes yes and yes. science is important, and this is why!

1 hour ago, trystan said:

they've already edited a sound byte from Dr Fauci that makes it sound like he's praising trump's response to covid. icky.

Dr. Fauci is very upset about that one. I can't blame him. It is a typical Trump low, lying trick. All Trump can say is that he used Fauci's own words. Yeah, twisted and quoted completely out of context.

Have you seen the one that Biden's campaign did, turning that whole technique back on Trump?

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

Dr. Fauci is very upset about that one. I can't blame him. It is a typical Trump low, lying trick. All Trump can say is that he used Fauci's own words. Yeah, twisted and quoted completely out of context.

oh i don't blame him either! it was more like editing phrases together in just the right (wrong?) way.

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Have you seen the one that Biden's campaign did, turning that whole technique back on Trump?

erm... probably?  i've seen a few ads showing trump clips of him saying "it'll disappear" blah blah blah.... and overtop is the line graph of rising cases.

@purplehaze

That's a clip of genius (and I didn't mean the "stable one" XD)

----------------------------------

Even redder today... Source: n-tv

map.png

Edited by Astreya

Yeah, I saw that some regions already surpassed a 7-day incidence of 100 per 100 000:

map.png

Source: n-tv

-------------------------------------

As of today, Friday, October 16, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 107 (+14) active cases, while 618 (+2) people have recovered. All in all there have been 741 (+16) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 35.1 (+0.9).

Currently 11 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 1 (-1) of them in intensive care. 16 persons sadly died. 539 (-4) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 36 100 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Soon, they'll need to invent new colours ...

I've seen a dark burgundy used.

Your wee grey island in the middle of it all has gone colourful. :(

10 hours ago, Astreya said:

Yeah, I saw that some regions already surpassed a 7-day incidence of 100 per 100 000:

Yeah, us. We're at 102.something as of today. Solich, lot jonn! (Sorry, hometown dialect... and /sarcasm, of course.)

132 new cases yesterday, 103 of them on my island, and 2 additional deaths. :(

IMG-20201016-WA0008.thumb.jpg.7ea5ddc4e0a8bea887e40794c43df344.jpg

Going into weekend lockdown now. The shop today did almost as well curbside as it does inside! But we can't properly sell clothes and that's a large chunk of our inventory. Books are selling well! (Lockdown reading ... )

Things have been very bad here. Just yesterday 3,100 cases were confirmed. Everything has been locked down for months. It's very worrying.

@Lagie

I hope you can make enough money for your needs! *fingers crossed*

@thalassophobic

Stay safe! (May I ask where you live?)

And the colours become more intense, although two or three areas seem to have managed to get the numbers down a little:

map.png

-------------------------------------

As of today, Saturday, October 17, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 115 (+8) active cases, while 621 (+3) people have recovered. All in all there have been 752 (+11) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 35.6 (+0.4).

Currently 13 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with none (-1) of them in intensive care. 16 persons sadly died. 516 (-23) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 36 371 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

@Astreya Thanks for the kind words! Sending love to y'all from the Philippines! 🥰 I hope you and your loved ones are all safe. It's quite difficult to see so many people around the world deeply affected by this pandemic, even knowing that one is doing their part by staying home and taking the necessary precautions.

Stay safe!! All of you!

@thalassophobic

Oh, the Philippines! I still have quite some stamps from the Philippines as many years ago my grandfather was a gatekeeper in a hospital that had many nurses who came from the Philippines - and when he told them that I collected stamps, they always gave him the ones they got on the letters from home. ^^

I really hope you will manage to squash the virus in the Philippines ASAP! According to Worldmeter, both Germany and the Philippines seem to have about the same number of overall cases at the moment: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I hope you'll manage not to let the new cases spike as much as they do here at the moment!

@Astreya Ah, what a wholesome story! I'm so glad you've had nice experiences (even if indirect) with us! It's very heartwarming to hear. Hopefully both of our countries can flatten the curve, as they say, and hopefully sooner rather than later!

Well, the crew at the Ministry of Health have decided to do away with the lovely dashboard graphic that made everything nice and clear and in one place. :( Now you have to scan through several pages of a pdf file and do your own math to figure out how many new cases for your particular island. If it wasn't broke, why 'fix' it???

111 new cases yesterday, 92 on my island, and 2 additional deaths. :(

And my friend's mum's neighbour has five people from outside the complex partying with him poolside today. In a lockdown. Grrr. And she won't report it because she is sure he will know it was her (I am SOOO tempted...).

Maybe somebody's nephew who always used to do the dashboard got sick ...

20 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Maybe somebody's nephew who always used to do the dashboard got sick ...

Nah, they decided to fix something that wasn't broken... but they have added back the island by island breakdown part to the pdf.

75 new cases yesterday (= 5,703), 61 on my island, and sadly, 6 additional deaths. :(

The crisis management team of my city have been too no-nonsense to bother with cool graphics in the first place, hence my text-updates. But the numbers are really rocketing up here, too. I guess tomorrow we are a Covid-19 hotspot with > 50, too.

map.png

-------------

As of today, Sunday, October 18, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 142 (+27) active cases, while 626 (+5) people have recovered. All in all there have been 784 (+32) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 46.0 (+10.4).

Currently 16 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with one (+1) of them in intensive care. 16 persons sadly died. 553 (+37) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 36 371 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: Stadt Oberhausen

Edited by Astreya

Update for Solingen: We're at 109.8 as of today. Things are really looking "up". 😕 

Oh, and people are, once again, hoarding. Especially yeast (sold out unless you're lucky and go to a store just after they restocked), toilet paper (sold out), paper towels (as good as sold out), pasta (the favored brands are pretty much gone, but the others are still available) and flour ("normal" and cheaper flour is pretty much gone, special or expensive stuff not quite yet). Also, canned foods are... way rarer than usual.

I warned my colleages about this panic buying/hoarding trend on Monday and got a reply asking me incredulously where I'm shopping and that I shouldn't panic. I'm not panicking, just observing. I think it was Thursday when the news reported on the panic buying... Well, dear colleagues, you were warned.

Otherwise, I have two weeks of vacation coming up starting tomorrow, and I intend to spend it at home.

I am going to have to tackle the food store tomorrow. I am not looking forward to it. With the weekend lockdowns and 7 p.m. curfew, the lines are now always long during the week.