trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

I honestly haven't been to more than one Japanese restaurant yet, so I'm pretty much fine with anything. :) And aren't pretty much all of the Japanese restaurants in Düsseldorf about 5-10 minutes walk from the main station? The area isn't called "little Japan" for nothing...

Also, Solingen has reached 149.7 as of today, with 57 new infections since yesterday.

Edited by olympe

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

negative :D

yaay!

5 hours ago, olympe said:

Keep in mind the difference between Europeans and Americans, though. For you, 100 years is a long time ago, and for us, 100 km is far away. ;) 

this is so very true!

if i take the reeeeeallly long way to my inlaws, it's 63.4 miles, or 102 km. it's also about an hour and 13 minutes.  (whereas the short route is 51.8 mi/83.36 km, and a little more than an hour)

@olympe

I was at the Nippon-Kan once and it was absolutely cool, albeit not too cheap. Very Japanese, that. There was another one in a little byroad, but unfortunately I neither know the name nor am I sure I'd find it again (it's been a while). I think it could be this: http://yabase-ddf.com/location.html

Update: I just saw the Nippon-Kan is listed as "permanently closed". *sniff*

---------

As of today, Wednesday, October 21, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 166 (+7) active cases, while 638 (+9) people have recovered. All in all there have been 820 (+16) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 56.0 (+2.9).

Currently 20 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 4 (+-0) of them in intensive care, one of these needing a respirator. 16 persons sadly died. 590 (-3) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 41 396 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: Stadt Oberhausen

Edited by Astreya

5 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@olympe

I was at the Nippon-Kan once and it was absolutely cool,

I just googled that (I don't think I've ever been to a Japanese restaurant... Mongolian, yes, Chinese, of course, Japanese... no), and it says it's closed?

My place is still under 50 / 100,000, but we've been really close for a week now.

@Fly-by-Night

Yeah, I saw that too. I just remember it fondly from when I was there with my Japanese course at the university. Our lectors (who were from Japan) said it was the restaurant where they and their friends usually went, and it was really stylishly Japanese. Such a pity it's not there anymore :(

@Fly-by-Night According to what I could find, it's been closed for over a decade, so it's most likely not corona-related.

@olympe

Shows how often I go to restaurants in Düsseldorf :D  I really hoped I could have gone there again as the food was really yummy when we were there with my Japanese course.

Well, I've been to one exactly once, about two years ago. All by myself and only for the experience. B)

I've been to one, but I'm not sure how Japanese it was.  I didn't use the chop sticks.

@olympe

We were there for the experience, too. And we only got the original Japanese language menu. In the first year of Japanese XD

Edited by Astreya

@Astreya Oh boy!

I remember learning typical items on a French menu in my French class - I think it was the beginning of year 2, though. I can't imagine how tough it would be with a language like Japanese, where some things are written in unique signs you won't know unless you've learned them already. At least you had your lectors with you to help out. Or did you have to pick things at random? 😛 

There is also the Okinii, this one should still be working.

I recently got a message that went something like this (translated from memory):

I had a dream. It's the summer of 2021, a new diarrhea pandemic is running rampant. We're all sitting at the beach wearing diapers, and I think, "Well, 2020 being at the beach wearing a face mask wasn't all that bad."

Also, I recently started doing some "mathcrobatics", and I realized that, right now, Europe really is in a bad situation regarding corona. How, you may ask - well, I decided to compare the numbers of the worst-affected countries to the US' numbers. Of course, this means I have to put the numbers into perspective regarding the countries' population. And I did it like this:

Germany (population of 84 million) has about a fourth of the US population (332 million), so in order to compare numbers, I'd have to multiply Germany's new cases by 4. Simple, right?

The results are kinda frightening. Let's take todays number (roughly projected towards a population of 332 million). Let's call it the "US index" for short.

• US of A: currently 53 k new cases. (Will probably rise a little bit more.)
  • Russia: 35 k (US index)
  • Spain: 119 k
  • France: 135 k
  • UK: 132 k
  • Italy: 83 k
  • Germany: 41 k
  • Ukraine: 50 k (roughly)
  • Netherlands: 170 k
  • Belgium: 300 k (almost)
  • Czechia: 290 k
  • Poland: 87 k
  • Romania: 85 k
  • Portugal: 83 k
  • Switzerland: 214 k
  • Belarus: 25 k
  • Austria: 74 k
  • Ireland: 80 k
  • Luxembourg: 227 k

And so on. the numbers themselves are nothing short of terrifying.

For fellow German or those interested: I broaded the countries we share a border with. It's truly disheartening.

Edited by olympe
correction of a very stupid mistake

@Ruby Eyes

As you are in D'dorf, I shall follow your lead, restaurant-wise.

@olympe

LOL at the diapers XD

And the menu fortunately had "furigana" with the kanji, that is, tiny little syllable-symbols that are normally used for kids when they still learn or to denote how foreign names are pronounced. We settled on the menu recommendation of the lectors anyway, though. :D

128 new cases yesterday ( = 6,051), 104 on my island, and three additional deaths. :(

haven't checked my county dashboard for a while....

Total Confirmed Cases: 9,024

Recoveries: 8,077

Deaths: 534

Updated October 20, 2020 
Case numbers will be updated every Tuesday and Friday.

(https://covid19-bucksgis.hub.arcgis.com/)

19 active cases in my township/municipality

(https://bucksgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Media/index.html?appid=89e673a583fc4f44a8139205346a0ab6)

@olympe

With nine land borders, it is really astonishing that we don't have many more cases in Germany.

I just hope that the stricter measures employed in the corona hotspots will get this under control again. I just fear the measures were set up about one or two weeks too late.

Edited by Astreya

2 hours ago, olympe said:

I recently got a message that went something like this (translated from memory):

I had a dream. It's the summer of 2021, a new diarrhea pandemic is running rampant. We're all sitting at the beach wearing diapers, and I think, "Well, 2020 being at the beach wearing a face mask wasn't all that bad."

Also, I recently started doing some "mathcrobatics", and I realized that, right now, Europe really is in a bad situation regarding corona. How, you may ask - well, I decided to compare the numbers of the worst-affected countries to the US' numbers. Of course, this means I have to put the numbers into perspective regarding the countries' population. And I did it like this:

Germany (population of 84 million) has about a third of the US population (332 million), so in order to compare numbers, I'd have to multiply Germany's new cases by 3. Simple, right?

The results are kinda frightening. Let's take todays number (roughly projected towards a population of 332 million). Let's call it the "US index" for short.

• US of A: currently 53 k new cases. (Will probably rise a little bit more.)
  • Russia: 35 k (US index)
  • Spain: 119 k
  • France: 135 k
  • UK: 132 k
  • Italy: 83 k
  • Germany: 31 k
  • Ukraine: 50 k (roughly)
  • Netherlands: 170 k
  • Belgium: 300 k (almost)
  • Czechia: 290 k
  • Poland: 87 k
  • Romania: 85 k
  • Portugal: 83 k
  • Switzerland: 214 k
  • Belarus: 25 k
  • Austria: 74 k
  • Ireland: 80 k
  • Luxembourg: 227 k

And so on. the numbers themselves are nothing short of terrifying.

For fellow German or those interested: I broaded the countries we share a border with. It's truly disheartening.

Oh gosh, I hope you all stay safe :( this is very disheartening...and worrisome. 

Meep. The RKI reported that now 11 287 people were newly infected with SARS-CoV-2 within a day, the most ever in Germany since the beginning of the pandemic. The day before we had 7830. This really seems to get out of hand now.

The RKI will hold a press conference in 4 hours at 10:00 GMT+2. I definitely have to watch this.

Today from n-tv:

map.png

Edited by Astreya

10 hours ago, Astreya said:

@olympe

With nine land borders, it is really astonishing that we don't have many more cases in Germany.

I just hope that the stricter measures employed in the corona hotspots will get this under control again. I just fear the measures were set up about one or two weeks too late.

The stricter measures are a joke. Oh, you now must wear a mask in highly frequented areas outside - like a market or a pedestrian zone. Oh, you now cannot meet with more than (I think it was) 10 people in public (restaurants and the like). You know how people circumvent that rule? By just ordering two separate tables. :( Not to mention by driving to a different town where these measures aren't in effect just yet.

And, no, no real lockdown in sight. Business as usual, and our politicians are twiddling their thumbs waiting for the vaccine.

Btw, the Netherlands are already so badly affected that Germany took a number of their sick people, probably those in need of an ICU.

Spain has had a significant increase, too, I heard.

84 new cases yesterday ( = 6,135), 77 on my island, and 3 additional deaths. :(

Well, I guess we can only see if any new measures here work within 1-2 weeks anyway. In Oberhausen one more person died from/with Covid-19, a 90 year old man with pre-existing conditions.

---------

As of today, Thursday, October 22, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 194 (+28.) active cases, while 646 (+8.) people have recovered. All in all there have been 857 (+28.) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 62.6 (+6.6).

Currently 21 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2 (-2) of them in intensive care, none of these needing a respirator. 17 (+1) persons sadly died. 612 (+22) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 42 408 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: Stadt Oberhausen

Have you seen the new numbers from France? Over 40 k new cases today! Over 20 k for Spain and the UK each... I think I'm starting to get panicky. :(

@olympe

The numbers indeed look alarming world-wide. The problem is that these are infections from 1-2 weeks ago, and we will not see any results of the new measures before 1-2 weeks. The only thing we can do is try to protect us as much as we can. Please stay safe as your job makes you much more exposed!