trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

@Classycal

Thx! But my hometown is still a grey spot. Olympe and Ruby Eyes are far worse off as they are in dark red marked hot spot cities. :(

Edited by Astreya

Oh hey Switzerland has 2823 new cases today. (The graph doesn't seem reflect that number exactly, maybe the 24-hour intervals are different there.)

image.png.76c34046e74a8c6b75b8764a40a26c32.png

So...

image.png.228cb33c071028510116029b358f7f4b.png

17 minutes ago, Confused Cat said:

maybe the 24-hour intervals are different there

Well, the Swiss do have a reputation of taking their time XD

(At least the coffee won't get cold.)

Now we left the grey, too:

map.png

I'm in the black-framed light orange spot on top, Ruby Eyes is in the left red one below it,and Olympe in the right one. Source: n-tv

-------------------------------------

As of today, Wednesday, October 14, 10:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 71 (+6) active cases, while 616 (+4) people have recovered. All in all there have been 702 (+10) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 28.5 (+1.9).

Currently 9 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2 (+-0) of them in intensive care. 15 persons sadly died. 503 (+3) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 35 692 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

9 hours ago, Astreya said:

Now we left the grey, too:

map.png

I'm in the black-framed light orange spot on top, Ruby Eyes is in the left red one below it,and Olympe in the right one. Source: n-tv

Im curious to know if you all have met in RL?

1 hour ago, Classycal said:

That would be cool! 

51 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@Classycal

No, I haven't met them IRL (yet?). And currently it's safer to meet virtually anyway ^^

Definitely! Stay safe, all three of you!

9 hours ago, Classycal said:

Since we only figured out that we live that close to each other once this Corona story started, it would not have been the best idea to meet now of all times ;)

Maybe once there is a solution to this in terms of vaccination or the virus suddenly disappearing all by itself ... XD

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Since we only figured out that we live that close to each other once this Corona story started, it would not have been the best idea to meet now of all times ;)

Maybe once there is a solution to this in terms of vaccination or the virus suddenly disappearing all by itself ... XD

That would be awesome.

That would be awesome, indeed.

Over the last two days, we have had 222 new cases (28 + 194), 199 of them on my island, and 4 additional deaths. :(

IMG-20201015-WA0000.thumb.jpg.d9ee1d6d64753b31d941f5bc0abee901.jpg

Our 'curbside' ended up being 'yardside' which is not strictly following the letter of the law (which says orders must be placed online and carried to the car), but it worked with numbers of people and shopping times limited, and masks and hand sanitising, and our shelter manager thinks we should be okay to continue like that. As long as it doesn't rain...

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

Our 'curbside' ended up being 'yardside' which is not strictly following the letter of the law (which says orders must be placed online and carried to the car), but it worked with numbers of people and shopping times limited, and masks and hand sanitising, and our shelter manager thinks we should be okay to continue like that. As long as it doesn't rain...

Good luck. I hope it works out for you, considering how essential your shop is to running the shelter. It sounds like you are using safe practices.

so, short story time.  i flipped many a mental coin before asking my boss about covid, but i had to: why do so many people think covid is a hoax? well, after a little bit, she did say the actual virus isn't the hoax, people are questioning the severity of it, is what they think is the hoax. i eventually did ask the rest of it - why do they think it'll end on election day? she said that has to to with the red states and blue states, and something about how it's the blue state's lockdowns and stuff that will end. i... what?

so then my boss (kinda concerningly) "yelled" at me to stop worrying myself and working myself up over covid (so now i don't think i need to mention which side of the political spectrum she's on!) - i have a 99.7% chance of surviving it if i get it! (:rolleyes:) and she was saying that everyone who gets it and is either really sick, or dies, or has long covid (well, she didn't use "long covid," everything got lumped together) is because they had underlying conditions and comorbidities. i said i don't think ALL of everyone did! she kinda said yeah, they had to have had something. she said if you keep up your vitamin D, C, immunity, you'll be fine.  and she told me i need to read more than what i do read. (she says NPR is left-leaning.  err... NPR is quite neutral, thanks.)  i asked her the survival rate about a 65-year old woman in north Florida, she said like 95.9%, i said "tell that to my mother-inlaw, who's sister died in september from covid." she again told me to calm myself down a bit.

i put a lot of her mumbo-jumbo stuff after that back here.... it's my opinion on her opinion, but i thought it was better back here~

Spoiler

so in the interest of "sure, i'll read outside my bubble," she'll be bringing in two little pamphlets she got from Amazon - a guy named Alex Berenson wrote "Unreported Truths about COVID-19 and Lockdowns" in two parts - if you look it up on amazon and read the 1 and 2 star reviews, they're much more accurate than the 5 star reviews from his believers. (but the reviews are all pretty funny one way or the other.) one thing i told my boss is that i look at the dates for everything posted - these little pamphlets were published at the beginning of June and the beginning of August - and i'm sure the information still keeps changing as well. (she didn't object to that though.)

even better, she forwarded me one of her emails that has a quiz you can take at the end of it to tell me my risk.  because i (a) eat fast food (b) have too long of a food window between my first meal and my last meal and (c) don't get out in the sun enough between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.- i have a high risk of getting it.  i also have high blood pressure, i'm still a little heavier than i'd llike to be, and i have type A blood.... which means i'm also at high risk.  however, i'm a woman, so i can deal with it better XD 

BUT - the main article that she'd linked tells it all - in the email, the link is "The Tools They Use to Keep You in Fear About COVID-19" and when you click on it, the title on the page is  "How Medical Technocracy Made the Plandemic Possible" (https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2020/09/05/medical-technocracy.aspx) :huh:  so - i went to the bottom of the page where all the disclaimer info is, just to confirm a few things:  "The entire contents of this website are based upon the opinions of Dr. Mercola, unless otherwise noted." yep, got that. and i get that mercola.com is "a portal for natural health information and resources," but it also "It also strives to expose corporate, government and mass media hype that diverts people from what is truly best for their health and often toward a path that leads straight into an early grave."  wait, whut? :huh:

and that was how MY morning went.

@trystan

Maybe tell her you read the studies from other countries, too - particularly those that do much better in dealing with the pandemic?

Tell her about the results from German research - she can't say this is US partisan, plus Germany so far has had a much better on the pandemic than the US has so far.

E.g. here's an English language article on a Germany study about long Covid:  https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/german-studies-indicate-long-term-covid-19-health-issues-1.4318036

Here's about the original investigation:  https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2768916

Or here's the most current risk evaluation of the RKI (it's in German, but you can try to run and online translation tool over it): https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikobewertung.html

---------------------------

As for Germany (and Oberhausen)...

Red zone Covid hotspot, here we come, too (probably tomorrow), with 23 new infections and one more death (this time a 67 year old man).

Germany-wide we now have 2.48% positive cases among the tested persons (up from 1.66% last week), which clearly shows the increasing spread of the virus.

map.png

Source: n-tv

-------------------------------------

As of today, Thursday, October 15, 11:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 93 (+22) active cases, while 616 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 725 (+23) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 34.2 (+5.7).

Currently 10 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 2 (+-0) of them in intensive care. 16 persons sadly died. 543 (+40) persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 35 970 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: https://www.oberhausen.de/de/index/rathaus/verwaltung/umwelt-gesundheit-und-mobilitat/gesundheit/aktuelle_informationen/informationen_zum_coronavirus/aktuelle_meldungen.php

Edited by Astreya

13 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@trystan

Maybe tell her you read the studies from other countries, too - particularly those that do much better in dealing with the pandemic?

maybe on monday, when i've had the weekend. but then she'll say "see? the death rate is only .03% of the population. no need to worry!" and i'll want to smack some sense into her.  (and .03% of what google says is the US population (328.2 million people) is 98,460, and the number of americans who died from it is more than that... i used 217,000 and 328.2 million and got 6.6% 😮)  also, she'll tell me to stop worrying about it.

Edited by trystan

@trystan

Well, the RKI compared influenza and covid-19 in their epidemiological bulletin here (German, too):

https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/Infekt/EpidBull/Archiv/2020/Ausgaben/41_20.pdf?__blob=publicationFile

This study gives that Covid-19 patients (there shortened as SARI-COVID) that were admitted to the hospital were more likely to die and have worse illness compared with flu (SARI-GW) patients. E.g. 18.8% of flu patients needed more than 14 days artificial respiration, but 35.5 Covid patients. If you look at those who needed more than 28 says artificial respiration, it was 6.6% of the flu patients, but 12.3% of the Covid patients.

Plus from the hospitalized flu patients, "only" 12% died, while of the Covid patients, 21% died.

You could print out the bulletin and show it to her (of course I realise she won't speak German), but you could try to "impress" her with it.

If she wants to know what SARI-COVID or SARI-GW means - SARI is short for "schwere akute respiratorische Erkrankung (or Infektion)" ("severe acute respiratory disease") and GW is short for "Grippewelle", that is, "influenza wave", meaning patients suffering from the flu according to the study.

Edited by Astreya

while anyone else would be impressed (and she just might be....) dollars to donuts she'll say something along the lines of "that's not here, i care about what happens here.  not there." (she said this about earlier this year when i said something about the fires in Australia. and how the entire world is part of the climate and such... and she said that wasn't here.  she doesn't care about it cause it's there.  so, she's firmly entrenched in her bubble and it won't pop until it affects her directly.

@trystan

And if she says *that* you can tell her "Well, here the number of deaths is much higher than in Germany, so it is obviously even more risky to contract Covid-19 here. So if the Germans are already very concerned despite their much lower deaths and infections, shouldn't we be even more concerned?"

Edited by Astreya

@Astreya - it's really not worth the can of worms.  i've already opened it, i don't need them all over the place. it's why we've had like 3 political discussions and now this covid one since 2016.  she's still going to say that's there.  it's of no concern to her, so it's not an issue.  her t-cells are up, as are her vitamin D and C levels, so it's not an issue to her.  this is who i work with.  and she pays me, so there's that.

@Astreya - thanks. i'll feel better when President Biden institutes a mask mandate (covering yr noses too!) and follows the science, and our case count goes back down. :)

(my wishful thinking coming out in my post?)

Edited by trystan

@trystan

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that soon there will be adults in the White House again who will not sideline Dr.Anthony Fauci or the CDC (as soon as there the proper scientists are put in charge again, too, that is).

@Astreya - thanks :)

i've already voted for said adults.  i saw or read a bit from Dr. Fauci, who said he would always serve whoever is in the White House.  and yes, proper scientists need to be back in charge again.

@trystan

I didn't doubt that Dr.Anthony Fauci would try to serve the people of the US as well as he can, but if he is sidelined by Mr.Trump and his cronies, they make things much more difficult for him.

6 hours ago, Lagie said:

Over the last two days, we have had 222 new cases (28 + 194), 199 of them on my island, and 4 additional deaths. :(

That's a lot Lagie!  Be safe.

I hope the "curbside" works out and that it doesn't rain.

Trystan, I voted, too, for said new president.  (I hope.)

Edited by Classycal