trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

7 minutes ago, trystan said:

so for those of us (i mean me) who just drives their kid 6 hours across the state for college when that's a thing, how far apart, travel-time wise, are all of y'all?

Well, without traffic, from north (Oberhausen) to southern (Bonn), it's about 70-90 minutes. Since that's usually a heavy-traffic route though, it's most of the time more like 2-3 hours, by car.

Between east and west (Solingen and Düsseldorf), it's maybe between half an hour and a full hour, depending on how deep inside each city you are or want to get to, due to traffic. By train, that part might even be a bit faster, since there is a direct line (S1) going between these two cities.

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Well, without traffic, from north (Oberhausen) to southern (Bonn), it's about 70-90 minutes. Since that's usually a heavy-traffic route though, it's most of the time more like 2-3 hours, by car.

Between east and west (Solingen and Düsseldorf), it's maybe between half an hour and a full hour, depending on how deep inside each city you are or want to get to, due to traffic. By train, that part might even be a bit faster, since there is a direct line (S1) going between these two cities.

Seriously. When you guys can socialize again, you all need to meet! :D

150 (!) new cases yesterday ( = 5,923), 81 on my island, and one additional death. :(

1 hour ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Well, since I live in Solingen and used to travel to Düsseldorf on a regular basis, I can tell you this: Yes, it does - to some extent - depend on where, exactly, in Düsseldorf or Solingen you are. Solingen alone can easily add 20 minutes, and it's probably even more for Düsseldorf (which is much larger), even without heavy traffic. Worse than the area, though, is traffic. Seriously, during rush hour, you sometimes need an extra hour just because of traffic. You're better off with the train - if it doesn't stop and turn around on the way, usually in Hilden main station. (This, btw, happens way too often during rush hours.) If it drives, the time from Solingen main station to Düsseldorf  main station is a little less than half an hour, I think it's closer to 25 minutes. Unless, of course, there's a jam on the rails because, during rush hour, most trains have their intervals halved. Which means that the railways get congested starting at Düsseldorf Oberbilk. (Yes, I'm speaking from year-long experience. *sigh*).

The same train that connects Solingen to Düsseldorf also happens to continue to Oberhausen, which takes around 1 hour from Solingen to Oberhausen.

Bonn is a little harder to reach via train, though, as you need to change trains in Cologne. Whichever way you go, you need to pay for a different ticket than in our area. But that's a whole different can of worms.

@olympe

But at least we have the VRR ticket-wise. I remember when I was a kid and went by bus from Oberhausen to Essen, I first had to get a ticket for the StOAG (Oberhausen), then when reaching the "border" to Mülheim a second ticket by the MVG, and finally for the Essen part a ticket by the EVAG. Which reminds me - nowadays there is an NRW-Tarif, IIRC...

Edited by Astreya

Forgot about the latter, tbh. However, we're still in different districts as Bonn is in VRS, as is Cologne... For me, this isn't much of a problem because Solingen is right at the border and, starting from the main station, I can just buy the VRS ticket, but the rest of you would be better off with the NRW-Tarif. If we met in Bonn, that is. But I suppose that either Düsseldorf or Köln would be the ideal middle ground. *shrugs*

I think I'd prefer D'dorf. There are some good Chinese and Japanese restaurants, IIRC.

Also French.

So theoretically, since yesterday, doctors would be allowed to give you that slip for "sick leave" if you tell them on the phone that you have a cold (you know, sneezing, coughing etc).

Except that not all doctors do that - mine insisted on me getting tested. Will probably get news tomorrow.

@Ruby Eyes

Or that!

I hope you are negative then. (The few things where being negative is actually positive ^^)

23 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Also French.

So theoretically, since yesterday, doctors would be allowed to give you that slip for "sick leave" if you tell them on the phone that you have a cold (you know, sneezing, coughing etc).

Except that not all doctors do that - mine insisted on me getting tested. Will probably get news tomorrow.

*crosses fingers* I hope it's negative!

6 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Also French.

Also crossing my fingers for you, @Ruby Eyes.

And just a completely random question, where is Wacken in relation to you all? I keep thinking that I'd like to go to Wacken Open Air festival one of these centuries, before I'm entirely too old to put up with the crowds - and if I'm going to travel overseas, I'd just as soon plan the trip to include meeting as many European DCers as possible! (Covid aside, it's still just a dream at this point. The husband has some health issues that may mean I can't leave him alone for as long as I'd like the trip to be and I don't know that he'd want to - or be able to - come with me. Still, dreams for 2022 or 2023!)

30 minutes ago, catstaff said:

Also crossing my fingers for you, @Ruby Eyes.

And just a completely random question, where is Wacken in relation to you all? I

Wacken is in the very North of Germany. It's almost a 4 hours' drive from my place, and I'm closest, I think (at least closer than Astreya and those from the Ruhr area). Still, you'd be more than welcome here.

30 minutes ago, Fly-by-Night said:

Wacken is in the very North of Germany. It's almost a 4 hours' drive from my place, and I'm closest, I think (at least closer than Astreya and those from the Ruhr area). Still, you'd be more than welcome here.

Figures. Still, it would make for a really fun trip. Meet everyone, hit the festival - yes, in that order, because I'm sure my hearing will be messed up for a few days following the festival. 😄 And then maybe go play tourist in another couple of countries before heading back across the pond once more.

It's a dream, anyway. Covid needs to go away before I'm even going to consider a trip like that, let alone plan one.

8 hours ago, catstaff said:

And just a completely random question, where is Wacken in relation to you all?

As a picture says more than thousand words:

Spoiler

germany.png

And here's today's view at NRW with the numbers from n-tv:

Spoiler

map.png

Edited by Astreya

@Ruby Eyes Keeping my fingers crossed, too. May I suggest Japanese, though, instead of French? At least it'll be fun to be fumbling with chopsticks. XD (Yes, some, if not all of them, have Western cutlery, too.)

@catstaff Keep in mind the difference between Europeans and Americans, though. For you, 100 years is a long time ago, and for us, 100 km is far away. ;) 

4 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

negative :D

Yeah!

A friend of mine got her negative result today, too - which is great for her and for me, because I'd have had to go into quarantine had she been infected.

30 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Yay!

One of our Board members has it, a mild case apparently. Good thing she hadn't been around the shelter in a while.

45 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Congrats! :) 

1 hour ago, olympe said:

@catstaff Keep in mind the difference between Europeans and Americans, though. For you, 100 years is a long time ago, and for us, 100 km is far away. ;) 

Very true! It will be a fun trip if I ever get to make it, though. Only been to Europe once, as a teen on a package tour, and Germany sadly wasn't on the itinerary. I'd really like to see it and a few other countries before my middle-aged body gets too creaky to enjoy the stuff my refuses-to-leave-my-20s brain wants to do.

@Astreya thank you for the map!

@Ruby Eyes glad to hear you're negative! Of course Wacken is in the middle of nowhere - if it wasn't, they wouldn't have space for all the cattle, or for W.O.A. to happen! But being from the US, I'm also used to a lot more "nowhere" to travel through to get to the middle of nowhere. 😄

2 hours ago, olympe said:

May I suggest Japanese, though, instead of French? At least it'll be fun to be fumbling with chopsticks. XD (Yes, some, if not all of them, have Western cutlery, too.)

What about the Nippon-Kan on the Immermannstraße? It's just five minutes walk from the main station.

@Ruby Eyes

Yay!!!

@catstaff

You might want to plan for at least 2-3 weeks for Germany as there are so many things to see!

Edited by Astreya