trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Good video.  

I'll keep newspapers in mind if I have anyone come into my home.

@Fuzzbucket Loved that vid. So did my daughter. :)

I just did the maths including the case numbers of today. There are 69 new cases. Combine that with the rest of the week, and we reach a whopping 219.6 new infections per week and 100 k population.

Edited by olympe

We had no update for Friday so I've had to do the math myself. :P (using the figures I posted here for Thursday!)

Friday's figures:

84 new cases (= 6,352), 63 on my island, and 2 additional deaths. :(

Saturday's figures:

58 new cases (= 6,410), 42 on my island.

Rain goes well with lockdowns. :P

Edited by Lagie
Updating

The cases are still on the rise here. As the NRW chart is pretty much all red, there is no real need to post it at the moment. The number of people needing to be hospitalised is markedly increasing, too.

-----------------

As of today, Sunday, October 25, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 294 (+45) active cases, while 671 (+7) people have recovered. All in all there have been 982 (+52) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 93.9 (+9.4).

Currently 22 (+5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 8 (+3) of them in intensive care, 3 (+3) of these needing artificial respiration. 17 persons sadly died. 652 (+28) persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 42 851 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: Stadt Oberhausen

at least where I live people are wearing their masks and face shields.

Although having to fill up contact tracing forms EVERY SINGLE TIME I enter the mall is... just... "don't you already HAVE my information from a few hours ago when I went in this morning to pick up groceries, why do you need it aGAIN?"

@Hanelli

Maybe one should order a stamp with all the information on it and then just stamp it on a sheet of paper? XD

VIsiting cards with an additional line to add date and time could be useful too. ^^

My doctor's office has a form with a bunch of questions and my phone number. Presumably my answers make it safe to enter, as the only person who looked at it was the guy manning the door. I carried it around inside from place to place and wondered what the point of it was.

56 cases yesterday (= 6,466), 34 on my island. No new deaths in two days. 

Sunday's case numbers are always lower but Saturday was, too. I hope that continues through the week.

Edited by Lagie
Fixing the math

Hm. Today's numbers almost look as if the Gesundheitsamt (Local Health Office) took a break on Sunday. ^^

-----------------

As of today, Monday, October 26, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 293 (-1) active cases, while 672 (+1) people have recovered. All in all there have been 982 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 93.0 (-0.9).

Currently 25 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 6 (-2) of them in intensive care, 3 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 17 persons sadly died. 644 (-8.) persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 42 851 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

@Astreya it would definitely save time filling out the same things over and over and over again because good grief it's just asking for the same information every single time... waste of paper too tbh ;;;

36 new cases yesterday (= 6,502), 27 on my island; and sadly, 4 additional deaths. :(

At least the case numbers seem to be down. Let's hope they stay that way.

Italy had a bad rise of cases, arriving at about 20.000 a day. On Sunday our Prime Minister issued a new law to have all pubs, restaurants and such close at 6:00 in the afternoon, closing gym, swimming pools and cinemas and asking schools to have part of the lessons via computer. Also people are suggested to limit visits to relatives and friends. Not a new lockdown yet, but sort of :(

@Hanelli

Actually I do have a stamp with name, address and phone number. I think I will put it into my bag and use it the next time I need to fill in such a form. The advantage is that it is much more legible than my handwriting, too. :D

-----------------------

So, now we smashed the 7-day-incidence per 100 000, too.

-----------------

As of today, Tuesday, October 27, 09:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 326 (+33) active cases, while 684 (+12) people have recovered. All in all there have been 1027 (+45) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 103.0 (+10.0).

Currently 26 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 6 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 3 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 17 persons sadly died. 702 (+48) persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 43 166 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

I just hate the politics of the country in which I live. They organize elections, where a huge number of people come, celebrate the holidays, not bothering too much with quarantine rules, and then blame people for all the troubles. In my city there are 461 new cases, in the country 6671 per day. There are not enough hospital beds, people with other diseases are not hospitalized. Difficult situation in the country.

Things are really accelerating here, and thus there will be very strict new measures ordered by the officials from next week on.

-----------------

As of today, Wednesday, October 28, 09:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 379 (+53) active cases, while 684 (+-0) people have recovered. All in all there have been 1080 (+53) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 123.4 (+20.4).

Currently 32 (+6) persons are treated in hospitals, with 6 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 3 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration. 17 persons sadly died. 755 (+53) persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 43 387 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

We continue as we have been on my island, nighttime curfews, but from 8 p.m. starting Friday rather than 7 p.m., and weekend lockdowns, and curbside at anything that's not a food store, but the beaches are open weekdays provided you stay in groups of 5 or fewer.  Should be interesting if tourists actually start arriving on the 1st of November...

67 new cases yesterday (= 6,569), 62 on my island.

Yesterday's number of new cases in Switzerland was 0.1% of the country's population. :huh: Not cool.

At least big events have been banned again (finally) and masks have been made mandatory in more situations.

My husband predicted this in spring. Humans are stupid, so they would first take too strict measures, then lift them too fast when things get better, then panic and go in the other direction again, and so on. Maybe it wasn't so hard to predict, but at that time I still thought our government was doing pretty good.

Of course it could have worked the way they planned if people had been (or stayed) more careful. But some probably felt like it was "corona is over" party time. Now it's "soap and masks for everybody" party time again.

image.png.3445255f4588ec579c62faf9c17baf9d.png

And of course they had to wait a bit too long until they turned the screw tighter again. Yes, there are people who think this infringes on their rights, but how can the right to party outweigh the right to live for others? The number of "vulnerable" people is too large to isolate them fully after all. Plus these irresponsible persons are the ones that ruin the livelihoods of the ones who are affected by the quarantine, not the poiticians who have to order the emergency break to try and save lives..

-----------------

As of today, Thursday, October 29, 12:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 310 (-69) active cases, while 790 (-106) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 1117 (+37) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 119.6 (+3.8).

Currently 28 (-4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 6 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 2 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 17 persons sadly died. 755 persons are currently quarantined (the quarantine data can't be updated at the moment due to a new system being implemented).

All in all there have been 43 733 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-----------------

As of today, Friday, October 30, 12:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 310 (+-0) active cases, while 820 (+30) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 1147 (+30) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 103.0 (-16.6).

Currently 34 (+6) persons are treated in hospitals, with 6 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 3 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration. 17 persons sadly died. 755 persons are currently quarantined (the quarantine data can't be updated at the moment due to a new system being implemented).

All in all there have been 44 018 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

-----------------

As of today, Saturday, October 31, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 300 (-10) active cases, while 840 (+20) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 1157 (+10) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 85.4 (-17.6).

Currently 35 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 5 (-1) of them in intensive care, 2 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration. 17 persons sadly died. 601 (-154) persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 44 380 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

Edited by Astreya

New month, new post. ^^

If you look at today's Germany chart by n-tv, you can see that things look not only red anymore, but now also dark red:

Spoiler

map.png

From tomorrow on, Germany will be under a new part-lockdown to try and get the numbers down again. Last month, Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel warned that there might be 20 000 cases per day by Christmas, but then she was ridiculed as being "alarmist". Now nobody is laughing  anymore....

Wow! That is really red and dark now. Stay safe, @Astreya!

Our numbers went down for two days, but only because the number of tests went down those two days. We were at 70 again the next day when they did the usual testing numbers. Sadly 148 people have now died. :(

And our borders reopen today... I wouldn't choose to travel here.

It appears that things are so out-of-control in the US that contact tracing is now all but impossible. :o

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/31/us/coronavirus-transmission-everywhere.html?

I have quoted a small portion of the article, but there is much more, even scarier, stuff if you read the whole article. People who thought they were being careful coming down with Covid with no idea how they got it. "It's just out there."

As the coronavirus soars across the country, charting

a single-day record of 99,155 new cases on Friday and surpassing nine million cases nationwide, tracing the path of the pandemic in the United States is no longer simply challenging. It has become nearly impossible.

Gone are the days when Americans could easily understand the virus by tracking rising case numbers back to discrete sources — the crowded factory, the troubled nursing home, the rowdy bar. Now, there are so many cases, in so many places, that many people are coming to a frightening conclusion: They have no idea where the virus is spreading.

“It’s just kind of everywhere,” said Crystal Watson, a senior scholar at the Center for Health Security at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, who estimated that tracing coronavirus cases becomes difficult once the virus spreads to more than 10 cases per 100,000 people. In some of the hardest-hit spots in the United States, the virus is spreading at 10 to 20 times that rate, and even health officials have all but given up trying to figure out who is giving the virus to whom.

@Lagie

I'm doing my best, thanks. But you should try to stay safe, too!

I'm just listening to CNN - they said one shouldn't call Trump's rallies "rallies", but super spreader events, and they estimated that due to these there were about 30 000 extra infections and about 600 extra deaths in the US. o_O

Edited by Astreya

2 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

I'm doing my best, thanks. But you should try to stay safe, too!

I'm just listening to CNN - they said one shouldn't call Trump's rallies "rallies", but super spreader events, and they estimated that due to these there were about 30 000 extra infections and about 600 extra deaths in the US. o_O

I will try my best to! I am actually enjoying the lockdown weekends. They give me a day to work at home instead of slogging curbside in the heat. (The curbside is doing remarkably well, much better than I'd expected!)

MSNBC does just that, calls them superspreader events instead of rallies.

Finally my town managed to solve the technical problems they had, and now they could publish the current numbers again. They look really shocking, I have to say. I give the difference to the last numbers I had from October 31.

-----------------

As of today, Wednesday, November 4, 11:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 486 (+186) active cases, while 960 (+120) people are considered to have recovered. All in all there have been 1467 (+306) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 134.3 (+48.9).

Currently 44(+9) persons are treated in hospitals, with 5 (+-) of them in intensive care, 5 (+5) of these needing artificial respiration. 17 persons sadly died. There is no current number of persons who are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 45 601 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

On 11/4/2020 at 5:02 PM, Astreya said:

-----------------

As of today, Wednesday, November 4, 11:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 486 (+186) active cases,

We're at over 700 here. Then again, we're an area, not a city. Cities in these parts simply aren't big enough to enter the stats. The number of newly infected people per 100,000 citizens in the last 7 days is slightly higher than yours, though. We're just under 140. :unsure:

I bought myself some FFP2 masks, as for teachers, the main protection is simply "open the windows every 20 minutes" (which I do, make no mistake about that!). Luckily, my school really has large windows in almost all our rooms. The safety catches of at least one window per classroom have been disabled, so we can now open them fully. As our students are old enough to NOT throw themselves or each other out of the window and mostly old enough to refrain from throwing heavy stuff out (apart from the VERY first class I taught as a newly qualified teacher, but that's another story...), that seems sensible.

Looks like the vast majority of my classes will be online again next semester. 😕 Everything except labs.  This is getting so frustrating...  So much tragedy right now, and not to sound like my problems are worse than others by any means but I was supposed to have moved out of my family's house and to my college months ago.  Seems like I will just be commuting again.  The whole year is shot

I am grateful to be in a somewhat rural area though. My hometown has not been hit particularly hard.

Since the beginning my whole county has had 2513 cases, and my county includes a much larger town next to my town.  We don't have much going on thankfully.

Edited by Dekka