trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

Actually, I recently read that covid usually shows after around 5 days, although I have to admit it must be easy to mistake for a simple cold at first.

I fear quite some people will probably consider a little sore throat or a little cough not too threatening and probably continue to run around for the first days until the symptoms will become more severe. And of course this will likely be the time they are most infectious.

From what I read, people become infectious around day 3 after catching the virus. Which means they run around for two days spreading it before the first symptoms turn up. 

Yeah, and then add to that probably the first 1-3 days when they already have light symptoms and don't take them seriously. There is ample time to spread the bug then.

On 10/21/2020 at 6:16 PM, olympe said:

Also, I recently started doing some "mathcrobatics", and I realized that, right now, Europe really is in a bad situation regarding corona. How, you may ask - well, I decided to compare the numbers of the worst-affected countries to the US' numbers. Of course, this means I have to put the numbers into perspective regarding the countries' population. And I did it like this:

Germany (population of 84 million) has about a third of the US population (332 million), so in order to compare numbers, I'd have to multiply Germany's new cases by 3. Simple, right?

The results are kinda frightening. Let's take todays number (roughly projected towards a population of 332 million). Let's call it the "US index" for short.

• US of A: currently 53 k new cases. (Will probably rise a little bit more.)
  • Russia: 35 k (US index)
  • Spain: 119 k
  • France: 135 k
  • UK: 132 k
  • Italy: 83 k
  • Germany: 31 k
  • Ukraine: 50 k (roughly)
  • Netherlands: 170 k
  • Belgium: 300 k (almost)
  • Czechia: 290 k
  • Poland: 87 k
  • Romania: 85 k
  • Portugal: 83 k
  • Switzerland: 214 k
  • Belarus: 25 k
  • Austria: 74 k
  • Ireland: 80 k
  • Luxembourg: 227 k

And so on. the numbers themselves are nothing short of terrifying.

For fellow German or those interested: I broaded the countries we share a border with. It's truly disheartening.

That's scary Olympe.

Edited by Classycal
Added info

Sorry for the double post.  Edit was being cantankerous.  

For my county, there have been 595 cases, 10 deaths, 476 recovered, active 108, and 5 new cases today - most in their 40's.  

Yahoo! On n-tv they just said we have about 11200 new infections in Germany... At least no increase compared with yesterday when there were about 11300 new infections. I guess nowadays one has to be happy if the increase isn't increasing, too...

@Classycal

What's the population size in your county? *curious*

@Classycal

Then that's quite a lot of cases in your place! Please take care and stay safe!

Map from n-tv (slightly edited as usual):

map.png

-----------------

As of today, Friday, October 23, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 212 (+18.) active cases, while 658 (+12) people have recovered. All in all there have been 887 (+30) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 69.3 (+6.7).

Currently 18 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 3 (+1) of them in intensive care, none of these needing a respirator. 17 persons sadly died. 631 (+19) persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 42 630 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: Stadt Oberhausen

Edited by Astreya

@Classycal That's quite a lot. If we presume that half of your active cases got found in the last week (it might be a little less, to be honest), then we arrive at an incidence of 100,000/35,098*54=153.9, so roughly the same order of magnitude as my hometown. As I said before, it might be a little less since not everyone recovers after 2 weeks, so maybe around the 120s to 130s? Still a lot.

On 10/22/2020 at 12:16 AM, olympe said:

Germany (population of 84 million) has about a third of the US population (332 million),

I'm really bad at Maths, but isn't it more like 1/4 than 1/3?

As of today, we're a "red area" (high risk), too. Perfect :unsure:, the school holidays end today, and school reopens on Monday... I've bought myself FFP2 masks for my classes now.

5 minutes ago, Fly-by-Night said:

I'm really bad at Maths, but isn't it more like 1/4 than 1/3?

As of today, we're a "red area" (high risk), too. Perfect :unsure:, the school holidays end today, and school reopens on Monday... I've bought myself FFP2 masks for my classes now.

You're right. My bad. Somehow, things must have gone wrong in that weird brain of mine. Which means I need to correct something else, too. XD 

3 hours ago, olympe said:

@Classycal That's quite a lot. If we presume that half of your active cases got found in the last week (it might be a little less, to be honest), then we arrive at an incidence of 100,000/35,098*54=153.9, so roughly the same order of magnitude as my hometown. As I said before, it might be a little less since not everyone recovers after 2 weeks, so maybe around the 120s to 130s? Still a lot.

I hadn't realized it was so much until I put the numbers in.  Our local hospital which is in another county has a COVID  floor which is full, and the hospital in general is full.  I imagine part of that is COVID overflow from the designated floor.  Yes, I'm very careful.  

Woohoo, 98 new cases in Solingen today! /sarcasm Okay, so I'm not sure whether to react sarcastically or with black humor right now. I guess I don't deal well with that. 

Oh, and my coworkers and I need to get tested for covid again, just because of our job/clientele. Well then.

And, from (I think) next Monday on, we need to fill out sheets where we need to check/cross out all kinds of symptoms we experience that might be related to covid - cough, trouble with breathing, fever, unusual tiredness, sore throat and sniffles/congested nose (or something along those lines). Personally, I always have a congested nose, so, well, no idea how well that's going to be received. 😛 Oh well, we'll see.

2 hours ago, Lagie said:
Spoiler

20056716_Maskdog.thumb.jpg.29d2b0caf6036758adb8a8f9878d8419.jpg

my fave is the pic with it IN the dog's mouth! XD 

28 minutes ago, Fly-by-Night said:

@Lagie: I'm melting. Is that your dog?

I wish, but no. Found it at Facebook.

133 new cases yesterday (= 6,268), 109 on my island, and two additional deaths. :(

21 hours ago, olympe said:

And, from (I think) next Monday on, we need to fill out sheets where we need to check/cross out all kinds of symptoms we experience that might be related to covid - cough, trouble with breathing, fever, unusual tiredness, sore throat and sniffles/congested nose (or something along those lines). Personally, I always have a congested nose, so, well, no idea how well that's going to be received. 😛 Oh well, we'll see.

I have most of those symptoms most of the time, so I'd be worrying, too.  I always get asked if I've been short of breath, and I just say no instead of explaining that I'm short of breath a lot of times.  I'm also tired and have a congested nose.

I love that pic Lagie.  The dog is so cute.  

1 new death in my county - 86 years old.  12 new cases - 2 in the hospital, both in their 80's.  

Edited by Classycal

Congrats Ruby Eyes on your negative test!

I am alarmed at all the new cases in Europe. I will keep all of you there in my thoughts, I've seen Germany getting hit particularly hard. Your posts and graphs are disheartening, Germany had done so well with getting it under control.

America is still setting daily records with new cases, and Texas has officially passed California with the most cases in the country. I've already gotten my flu shot, and took my mother with me to get hers. My father got his a couple of weeks ago.

@purpledragonclaw

Actually Germany still appears to be doing better than many other countries. In fact, our warning thresholds are quite a bit lower than in other countries, but this also helps us to act a bit sooner and hopefully trying to curb the spread even though we have many irresponsible people around, too.

One thing that is a bit worrisome (although in a way it is good, too, as it shows that the checks and balances do work here) is that some courts struck down some of the protective measures as they think they are too intrusive. In these cases one can but hope that the majority of people might have sufficient common sense to head the advice of the government(s) anyway.

I'm curious what numbers will be published today. I just fear they will still increase for a while.

Anyway, NRW is almost all red by now:

map.png

Source: n-tv

-----------------

As of today, Saturday, October 24, 08:00 GMT+2, my home town (population 211 000) has 249 (+37) active cases, while 664 (+6) people have recovered. All in all there have been 930 (+43) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic. The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 84.5 (+15.2).

Currently 17 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 5 (+2) of them in intensive care, none of these needing a respirator. 17 persons sadly died. 624 (-7) persons are currently quarantined.

All in all there have been 42 851 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

Source: Stadt Oberhausen

Edited by Astreya

3 hours ago, Astreya said:

Actually Germany still appears to be doing better than many other countries.

Better than Switzerland, for example, which is now on Germany's list of risk countries, so people coming from Switzerland have to self-quarantaine for two weeks (?) in Germany.

Delivery times for online grocery orders are getting longer again. Stores are still open, but I guess people are starting to worry about another lockdown. Or they just don't want to wear masks for shopping. (Masks are now mandatory in public indoors spaces, finally.)

Current personal annoyance: on Monday some electricity expert will have to examine every single power outlet in our house for some bureaucratic reason. I hope he'll arrive wearing a mask, otherwise I'll have to ask him to put one on. And I guess I'll run around disinfecting things afterwards. Fun! :P

And apparently, some people (I forgot where I read it, but I think it was a doctor or something saying it) now believe the virus will never disappear, not even when/if there's a vaccine?

And we'll have to "learn to live with it"? What kind of plan is that? :blink: I'd rather not spend the rest of my life trying to prevent a virus from eating my lungs.

@Confused Cat

I had a heating system tech resetting our heating counters (?) two weeks ago, and the guy did indeed wear a mask. I was so paranoid that I used some old newspapers (we get two free local papers per week and I don't throw them away right away) to lay onto the floor so that he could walk on them and I could put them into the paper recycling bin afterwards. ^^

2 hours ago, Astreya said:

@Confused Cat

I had a heating system tech resetting our heating counters (?) two weeks ago, and the guy did indeed wear a mask. I was so paranoid that I used some old newspapers (we get two free local papers per week and I don't throw them away right away) to lay onto the floor so that he could walk on them and I could put them into the paper recycling bin afterwards. ^^

I didn't think about newspapers! My friend and I both had the plumber and his assistant remove their shoes as they came in to our homes for plumbing issues. Both had masks, but it is law here you have to.

Love that video, Fuzz! (Shared it at FB a couple of days ago.) :)