pinkgothic

The Release History Of Dragon Cave Spiral

On 1/21/2019 at 10:30 PM, pinkgothic said:

Welcome to the project - thanks for letting us know about your Duotones! ^_^ Would you be willing to rename either of those to something trivia-ish? Here's what we're trying to do with these spirals, taken from the first post:

In this case, since we already have a willing Duotone candidate to fall back on, the renaming is a little less optional than the post talks about, but if you say "I won't rename - but I really, really want to be part of this project, please!", or anything along those lines, realistically speaking, knowing my track record at insisting on things, I'm probably going to give in. XD

The process works like this:

• Dracaena is going to raise the bloodscale my dergs popped out.
  • Once it's grown, she can breed her release-date bloodscale to it.
  • Then she would contact you to get you the offspring, so you can continue the line with your release-date Duotone. ^_^

What do you say? Would you like to participate?

I can call one of them something else for you if you want. I am WAY too unreliable to "participate" on a regular basis, but I can keep a vague eye open for dergs you need. If you want it - I'll do this one....

What do I have to call it ? (I do kind of like my names - they are just Italian number pairs in series ! But I can collect me another to fill the space ! They are VERY trivial !)

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

What do I have to call it ?

Perhaps paradoxically, you have pretty free rein over this! The idea is to name the critters so they form some kind of trivia about either species. So for duotones you might add Duotone Dragons Were x Drafted In Dragon Requests, or something else you find noteworthy about them. Alternatively, if there's something you find noteworthy about bloodscales, you could name them after that.

Sometimes it can be worth looking for glitches and quirks in the release thread:

Although in this case, anything with the Duotones will have gotten completely overshadowed by how scarce the Two-Headed Lindwurms seemed when they were first release. 8D So it's probably not a fun past time. I found this trivia post by PieMaster on one of the pages I sampled, though:

So, you might try to something like Duotones Were Once Planned As x Separate Red And Purple Breeds. ^_^

Ahhh! Ok. Who knows? I was traveling.... I know both people (at least, recognize and have traded with both) so I may have messed it up too. 

Sending it over now!

10 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

Perhaps paradoxically, you have pretty free rein over this! The idea is to name the critters so they form some kind of trivia about either species. So for duotones you might add Duotone Dragons Were x Drafted In Dragon Requests, or something else you find noteworthy about them. Alternatively, if there's something you find noteworthy about bloodscales, you could name them after that.

Sometimes it can be worth looking for glitches and quirks in the release thread:

Although in this case, anything with the Duotones will have gotten completely overshadowed by how scarce the Two-Headed Lindwurms seemed when they were first release. 8D So it's probably not a fun past time. I found this trivia post by PieMaster on one of the pages I sampled, though:

So, you might try to something like Duotones Were Once Planned As x Separate Red And Purple Breeds. ^_^

OK - will think on. Tell me when I have to DO something (PM - as I say, vague does not begin....)

Wait - you need both named ? that would be Dracaena's and the one of mine I breed that with ? OK:

I crash through the trees if x One head is distracted.

Or does it need to be a RELEASE fact ?

I was once simply red x  I was once  simply purple.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Tell me when I have to DO something (PM - as I say, vague does not begin....)

^_^ Okay!

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Or does it need to be a RELEASE fact ?

Something relating to the game and the species, ideally (but not necessarily) some quirky/unique aspect of the species. I feel like the 'crash through the trees' line is more head-canon lore than relating to the game, but I wouldn't stop you if you want that name.

I do like the last suggestion you made, though! :D That said, for the CB male Duotone, the mate would be a Bloodscale, so those first-person names might be more useful for the next step (which would be CB female Duotone x spiral-descended Duotone). I did snoop through your scroll and saw you also have a CB female release-date Duotone, so we could line you up for that instead, if you'd like? ❤️

Whichever you like :) - just tell me what to do when. The crash through the trees is from their actual description, though.

I suspect this will be my last foray into this one... ;) Just saying XD

21 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The crash through the trees is from their actual description, though.

Yeah. I guess "head-canon" isn't the right term. "Fluff"? Seems wrong, too, though. I imagine some fluff is surely entirely reasonable to mention, though I can't think of an example I'd be in favour of right now.

Anyway, I'm going to stop bugging you with response notifications now. Thanks for poking your head in! :D

The bloodscale I got from pinkgothic has grown up and likes his lady.  We have an egg! EMt60  I think I am sending this to Fuzzbucket?  (want to make sure before I confuse the situation).

Also look over the names I came up with and see what you think.  I have no problem changing them.  Long Years Splits Waited x Bloodscales Were Unable To Breed

Side note on the pygmy line, are pumpkins going to be included?  I wouldn't be able to help on the current set as I joined the cave in July 2011 and missed the birthday pygmy release that year.  I'm also quirky on what I keep, I punted all the mimic pygmys I had as undead wannabes, my scroll is undead free.

Another edit.  I've been waffling about mentioning this gal, I have a 2nd gen Thuwed crimson flare from Sept. 1, 2012.  MZhpH   Not sure if I want to change her name if included in the project.  Though I had an unexpected surprise when I checked the saurian translater to see what I did name her.  Seems I had misspelled the name. :o  I had left the first r out when I put in treasured.  When I put the letter where it should be that name was taken so I added a space to make it work, (dragon holding the name is younger than mine, *kicks self*).

Edited by Dracaena

4 hours ago, Dracaena said:

The bloodscale I got from pinkgothic has grown up and likes his lady.  We have an egg! EMt60  I think I am sending this to Fuzzbucket?  (want to make sure before I confuse the situation).

Yes, and thank you so much for helping out! Definitely contact Fuzzbucket in PM, at least. ^_^ You might also keep the egg and then contact Fuzzbucket once you have a Duotone descendent of that bebbie, letting her use the "I was once red" x "I was once purple" (or something like that) name combo.

(Edit: I'll update first posts with progress probably-tomorrow, I am only here on flyby, believe it or not, what with my waffling.)

Also look over the names I came up with and see what you think.  I have no problem changing them.  Long Years Splits Waited x Bloodscales Were Unable To Breed

That works! ^_^❤️

Side note on the pygmy line, are pumpkins going to be included?

Hmm, drat, I guess the answer is 'no', since that was 2009. Not sure why I decided that, honestly - possibly in the hope we'd manage to progress better? (I remember how hard it was to catch event dragons roughly up until the method dispersing them changed, which I believe was for the Ribbon Dancers.) I feel like I missed a chance to discuss that in this thread with y'all. Sorry about that.

(Event dragons are definitely planned for the main line, though, but never to breed true (or only when coincidence of timing allows it anyway).)

I've been waffling about mentioning this gal, I have a 2nd gen Thuwed crimson flare from Sept. 1, 2012.  MZhpH   Not sure if I want to change her name if included in the project.  Though I had an unexpected surprise when I checked the saurian translater to see what I did name her.  Seems I had misspelled the name. :o  I had left the first r out when I put in treasured.  When I put the letter where it should be that name was taken so I added a space to make it work, (dragon holding the name is younger than mine, *kicks self*).

Since we do have the starter pair generously donated by surevesta, don't feel like you need to sell your Thuwed kidney to this project. XD Even if you did, 2G Thuweds are so rare I definitely file them into the category where I'd be slightly shocked if someone did rename theirs (I mean, I won't lie, I'd love it, but I would also be slightly shocked). We could definitely start a second pygmy spiral with offspring from your lady, though, even if it wasn't going to be chronologically ordered. Up to you!

Also, extreme congrats on the Thuwed! Nice! ^_^

Edited by pinkgothic

On 1/21/2019 at 10:24 PM, pinkgothic said:

Pygmy Lineage

Sethiss' starter pair hasn't popped out an egg yet on first attempted breeding.

This has has changed, and we have an egg. Now would be a good time to double-check your Dark Myst Pygmies for male Dark Myst Pygmies from the 21st of May, 2011.

darkmyst_f.png

Like the right idiot I am, I've apparently forgotten to update the first post with Sethiss' (only) male Dark Myst pygmy from the release date (though I think I know why - we were stressing about Win10 activation watermarks when she brought it up!). So that one is our best candidate at the moment. ^_^

But as usual, part of the idea of these lines is to spread the love around, so if you also have a candidate male Dark Myst pygmy, feel free to chat up @Sethiss directly to get that the crimson flare egg, PM me, or let us know in this thread!

Also, if you have a female Dark Myst Pygmy from the 21st of May, 2011, that's the next critter in line, and we totally want to hear about it!

darkmyst_m.png

Two-Headed Lineage

Fuzzbucket and Dracaena coordinated a bit in PM. Current plans are that Dracaena will breeding the first Duotone into the spiral and Fuzzbucket the second. ^_^ That means we're no longer looking for Duotones. Instead, we're looking for a Male Two-Headed Lindwurm (Purple / Blue / Grey / Alpine variant) caught on the 4th of August, 2013.

two-headed_lindwurm_m.png

Or, I suppose, the Forest / Green variant, from the same date:

two-headed_lindwurm_(alt)_m.png

But given this was intended as the spriter's alt back when this was a Halloween concept, it feels more natural to start with the Alpine variant. ^_^ That said, I'm not fussy! If you want to start the Two-Headed Lindwurm addition with the Forest variant, I'm game.

Either way, if you can and want to help out, chat me up in PM, or post in this thread. ❤️

Regular / Main Lineage

General update: Dirtytabs is raising the mate for the CB female Green of his/hers at the moment. (And I notice I don't actually know what pronouns to refer to Dirtytabs with.)

Next in line is a male Mint Dragon caught before the fog. Since this is one heck of a criterion, we're still in the phase where we instead try to get the oldest dragons of this kind we possibly can. If you can beat (or match) Dirtytab's CB male from 2008-09-03, we want to hear about it! ^_^

mint.png

Otherwise s/he's going to continue the line alone for a little longer. 8D

14 hours ago, TempestSea said:

Have these you can use if you want...

https://dragcave.net/view/cyFn magi from aug 08

https://dragcave.net/view/THQO pink from sept 08

https://dragcave.net/view/JOzn purple from nov 08

Oh snap, awesome! Those are all keepers so far, current thread record for all three species! ❤️ Would you be willing to rename them with trivia? (It's not a hard rule for anything but starter pairs, but it makes the spiral way more awesome, which is why I keep pestering people about it.)

I went ahead and added those links to the first post for a better overview. Hope that's all right!

11 hours ago, aphroditesky said:

I have these if they are of any use:

Pink/Aria (f) from 30 Nov 2008 https://dragcave.net/view/KDtg

Storm (m) from 29 Nov 2008 https://dragcave.net/view/b72i

At the moment, TempestSea's Aria/Bright Pink is older and would get precedence, but your Storm is the oldest on record in this thread at the moment! ^_^ I notice both your dragons have descriptions - would you nonetheless consider renaming them with trivia for the project?

("No" is an acceptable answer, it just means we'll probably only use the dragon as an emergency fallback if we don't find a more suitable candidate - although with the note that "not finding a more suitable candidate" is actually pretty likely! So don't necessarily let that discourage you.)

As above, I went ahead and added those links to the first post. Let me know if you'd rather they weren't there! ❤️

Edited by pinkgothic

I joined in 2010, and often miss releases by a day or two. Still, I would like to participate; I didn't miss EVERY release!

23 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I didn't get any blue ones on the release, but green Lindies: https://dragcave.net/view/lq614

Maybe someone else was luckier :)

...what the heck, sweet, looks like I got one! https://dragcave.net/view/b080X XD

I've added your boy to the cache posts, we'll definitely hit you up for the male green Two-headed Lindwurm! ❤️

I guess I'm claiming a niche in the line. XD Whoo!

22 hours ago, Princess Kiara said:

I joined in 2010, and often miss releases by a day or two. Still, I would like to participate; I didn't miss EVERY release!

No worries, I am in a similar boat when it comes to often missing releases by a day or two. XD As you see, the likes of us occasionally get lucky. Welcome to the project! Do you want to call dibs on any particular release / sprite update? :D And/or try your hand at researching some sprite changes?

8 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

No worries, I am in a similar boat when it comes to often missing releases by a day or two. XD As you see, the likes of us occasionally get lucky. Welcome to the project! Do you want to call dibs on any particular release / sprite update? :D And/or try your hand at researching some sprite changes?

I need to see first which dragons I have, other than holidays, that I caught on release day xD

Any particular rules with whoopsies? We don't have to keep them, do we? Not fond of project threads that Big Brother every dragon involved.

To clarify, If a pair produces the CB's breed or anything else undesired occurs with it, may we abandon it?

Double edit: vamping is an option. As is undeadifying. :D

Edited by Dirtytabs

On 1/6/2019 at 2:57 PM, pinkgothic said:
  • When was the orange Summer Seasonal sprite replaced?

It must've been really soon after the release because mine grew up on the 27th of September and I can't recall him ever being orange.

• When did Whiptails receive their (fairly subtle) sprite update? (We're down to "2013-ish", but any help to narrow it down further would be appreciated!)

May 5, 2013? That's what it says on the wiki under Trivia. In the edit history, the updated sprite was added the day after.

• When did the Common Pygmies look like their 'Old Sprite' (wiki)?

In the edit history, images for male and female common pygmies were added on September 30, 2009. So around or a little before then? Whatever image occupied the article is now broken/deleted, so I presume that's the "old sprite".

• When did the "female" Neotropical sprite receive a touch-up?

An edit on the wiki on September 5, 2009 differentiates between the old sprite and the touched-up one. So around then?

• Sunsets used to be darker and flatter. When did they get touched up?

Wiki edit on January 2, 2012 moved some now-broken images to the old sprites section. So around then?

• The "female" Horse sprite got a shading update at some point. Was that simultaneous to when they got dimorphism in 2015?

You mean the update that made latest?cb=20090905182318 obsolete? Because that one definitely did not last until 2015. Latest revision date on the pictured sprite says 2009-09-05... so around then?

On 1/31/2019 at 7:31 PM, Dirtytabs said:

Any particular rules with whoopsies? We don't have to keep them, do we? Not fond of project threads that Big Brother every dragon involved.

To clarify, If a pair produces the CB's breed or anything else undesired occurs with it, may we abandon it?

Double edit: vamping is an option. As is undeadifying. :D

Vamping (for the main line), neglecting and undeadifying are super fantastic options that I endorse 100%ly.

On 1/31/2019 at 9:03 PM, Dirtytabs said:

It must've been really soon after the release because [my Summer Seasonal] grew up on the 27th of September and I can't recall him ever being orange.

Hmm. Possibly another one of those "was never actually in the cave with that sprite" situations? I'm going to assume that unless someone hops in and says otherwise. Thanks for the information! ❤️

May 5, 2013? That's what it says on the wiki under Trivia. In the edit history, the updated [Whiptail] sprite was added the day after.

Aaah! Excellent find, thank you! ❤️ ...no clue how I managed to miss that while compiling my notes. Shame on me!

In the edit history, images for male and female common pygmies were added on September 30, 2009. So around or a little before then? Whatever image occupied the article is now broken/deleted, so I presume that's the "old sprite".

On the https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Common_Pygmy page there's a section "Sprites No Longer In-Use". If you unfold that, you can see this sprite in the row labelled "Old Sprite":

latest?cb=20140806151646

I cannot remember them ever looking like this, but that doesn't need to mean anything.

An edit on the wiki on September 5, 2009 differentiates between the old [Neotropical Dragon] sprite and the touched-up one. So around then?

Close enough for me (especially since there's nothing too close by as far as releases go that would make a fine-grained differentiation necessary). ❤️ Thank you very much!

Wiki edit on January 2, 2012 moved some now-broken images to the old sprites section [for Sunsets]. So around then?

Aah! The Golds got their touch-up complete resprite on January 1st, 2012, so I'm actually guessing the Sunsets were updated at the same time. Thank you for sleuthing!

You mean the update that made latest?cb=20090905182318 obsolete? Because that one definitely did not last until 2015. Latest revision date on the pictured sprite says 2009-09-05... so around then?

Hmm. That's about two weeks after the release, I don't think it happened that soon. I did find this revision, though: https://dragcave.fandom.com/index.php?title=Horse_Dragon&diff=25938&oldid=25857 - which would put it around the time the Golds and Sunsets got their updates, which sounds right to me. Thanks for giving me the nudge in the right direction, though! ❤️

Edited by pinkgothic

12 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

On the https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Common_Pygmy page there's a section "Sprites No Longer In-Use". If you unfold that, you can see this sprite in the row labelled "Old Sprite":

latest?cb=20140806151646

I cannot remember them ever looking like this, but that doesn't need to mean anything.

The image in the table was added in 2014, years after the "old sprite" was replaced (because if it hadn't been years, we would all remember it). So what I meant was that the red linked image that was edited out on Sept. 30, 2009 may have been that old sprite, if indeed it was ever used, meaning the sprite replacement was on or a little before that date. The current sprites have remained on the page to this day, and in 2014, the "old sprite" image was then uploaded and added to the table when someone on the wiki noticed it was missing.

To make the project easier, we could ignore art updates, since they really aren't releases. 😀

16 minutes ago, Dirtytabs said:

To make the project easier, we could ignore art updates, since they really aren't releases. 😀

They do blur the line... and I'm happy to work with that blurriness! The minor updates I'm fine just glossing over, especially if the date is too hard to find, but on the extreme end, as an example, I wouldn't want to not include the Gold dragon sprite update. That one felt a lot like a release; as did the Arias, or the Silvers, the Splits or the Reds, to name some examples.

10 minutes ago, TCA said:

If any of these pre-fog CBs can help, let me know.

https://dragcave.net/lineage/TgpI - f Purple from Mar 02 2008

https://dragcave.net/lineage/ZSrM - m White from Mar 08 2008

https://dragcave.net/lineage/FPUb - m Red from Mar 11 2008

https://dragcave.net/lineage/I4hx - m Silver from Mar 13 2008

Oh my goodness! Those definitely break the records we have so far for oldest dragons. XD Which makes them valuable in their own right. Wasn't the Fog in February 2008, though? codyne's history document at least puts it in that month. Either way, I tip my hat to your awesome veteranness!

Purely by my notes so far, m White, f Purple and m Silver would be exactly right for the spiral, too! 😍 Unfortunately, m Red would not match my pre-Fog spiral notes (initial Red release is on number #12 and would attach to a CB female part of the spiral), but m Red happens to pop up for the Fog resprite section of the spiral (#25), so would still be extremely excellent, if a bit later on!

m White is our #5, so not too far to go, even. Shall we reach out to you when we get there? ❤️

For now, I've added your dragons to the second post, to the cache section~. If you'd like them to be taken back out, let me know!

No, no, I definitely joined before the Fog and those dragons were the ones I raised before I went on a short hiatus until after the Fog. At that time, there were no female dragons of any breed except Purple, Pink (later becoming Bright Pink and then Aria), Silver, and maybe Splits, I'm not 100% sure on that one, but there are NO female Reds from back then. But yeah, I can definitely breed them for this~

Edited by TCA