TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

I bet the gold dragon is gonna be very pretty when it grows up. I like the mane.

Edit: all the hatchies look great. I assume the forest one will be great too.

Edited by Jazeki

Wingless and apparently not a Wyrm. Very well...

Edited by Whirlaway

WE'VE GOT GENDERS.

I repeat, WE HAVE GOT GENDERS.

Though the "Slytherin" one is Amphiptere. If you click the image, the description says it has grown wings.

The "Griffindor" one is our first bipedal Wingless Western though! 

Aww, too bad the Slytherin wasn't a Wyrm. :( Otherwise the gendered hatchies seem nice! Just the Hufflepuff to go...

Why are parts of the hatchlings cut off? At first I thought it was just the gendered ones, but the ungendered ones also look cut off in spots.

1 minute ago, Nicola said:

Why are parts of the hatchlings cut off? At first I thought it was just the gendered ones, but the ungendered ones also look cut off in spots.

Which spots? All of their parts look accounted for to me. 😮

1 minute ago, Shajana said:

We already have wingless dragons in cave: Magma, Fell and Sweetling

I probably should have emphasized bipedal wingless western.

At least, the "Griffindor" hatchlings look bipedal. 

All the other wingless species look quadrupedal to me. 

14 minutes ago, hazeh said:

Which spots? All of their parts look accounted for to me. 😮

Look at the top of the head of the green one and it's tail for starters.

Maybe it's just because I zoomed in on the page, but they all have little areas that seem to be missing near the edges. Even if it's just a pixel or two. Or maybe I'm going blind. :blink:

Edited by Nicola

Stage two hatchie of the brown one has this for its added description: And look! It&rsqup;s gotten more colorful! It must be close to maturing.

Edited by Whirlaway

8 minutes ago, Shajana said:

We already have wingless dragons in cave: Magma, Fell and Sweetling

would Dorsal count since his "wings" don't allow him to fly? Also, Mint are not pigmies, therefore they sould be counted.

I would love a detailed list in the ecyclopedia, a nice looking page (just like World, Magic and Elements are now) that describes the main traits of each breed:

Western

Eastern

Amphitere

Wyvern

Wingless Dragons (Have to find a name, because the classical one is used for another category in dragon cave)

Sea Serpent

Wyrms

Lyndurms

Pigmies

Two Heads

Drakes

Am i forgetting someone?

Edited by Naruhina_94

The Alpine, Desert and Volcano hatchies gendered the exact type I figure they would. Disappointed that the Coast one isn’t a wyrm, though.

Happy Birthday Dragoncave! :) :) :) Very happy with the new features and the gorgeous new eggs! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Happy birthday DC! Also yay, market! I can finally finish getting my one pair of CB gold/silvers!

I can't say I'm... keen on these being Harry Potter references. I have zero interest anymore in HP so this is a shame.

I also love the new sprite updates. I hope we'll see one in the future for the Stones, Greens and Vines. In my opinion the Vines desperately need an update. People need to accept that change happens and whooping and wailing over it is silly. I actually like that DC has a consistent style for its sprites. If you want inconsistency might I suggest Magistream? 

Now finally, the market has given me more incentive to actually keep playing. I don't care how long it'll take me, I can finally get a CB gold at last. 

Edited by Seraphim

18 minutes ago, Nicola said:

You're right, the top of the green one's head and bottom are cut abruptly with straight lines.

Omg the blue ones look like chickens! XD 

And hooray for the green ones! Amphipteres are my absolute favorite type of dragon so I love that there’s finally more! Is it too much to hope the adult will look good paired with sunsongs??

Edited by AquaTart

12 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Unfortunately, legacy sprites are a bad idea in general. If you were here for frill/aria removal, or for the yearly alt sweetling drama, then you've witnessed people being upset they will never have x sprite regardless of the quality of it. This is after all a catch em all game at heart, and legacy sprites just don't jive with it if they're limited to folks who happened to be here. But if they all are optional, then they aren't legacy sprites but some kind of weird alt form. 

Whoa, whoa! Just to be clear, I was suggesting a Legacy View, not for old sprites to still be in-cave. In my mind, Legacy View would work like this:

There would be an extra link on any sprite that's been bred. You can click the normal "View Lineage" under the parent names, or, somewhere on the page, you could click "Legacy View" or "View Legacy" and see the lineage view with old sprites instead of new ones. Anyone can see Legacy View, so it's not exclusive to anyone, and either dragons in the view would be unclickable, or, if you click a part of the lineage, you go back to a current view with the option to click View Legacy Again. If art is no longer allowed to be even viewed on the Cave site, them's the breaks - the Legacy View would only show new sprites for that breed.

Below is a lineage I considered botched - the round bellies of the male summers matched well with the large wings on the swallowtails - I used the Summers to represent the South Beach setting of the movie and the Swallowtails for their bird likeness. I would have used another dragon, though, if I didn't like the Summer bellies with the Swallow wings. I'm imagining being able to see this lineage with the old summer sprites with a single click from a Legacy View link. Otherwise, everyone just sees the current lineage. If there was a Legacy view available, it might cut down on some of the angst and unhappiness that comes with new sprites. Nothing will make everyone happy, but I could live with being able to see my lines as I originally created them and I'm thinking others could as well.

Also, in the future, how about just some warning when a sprite is going to be updated? I would have taken screen shots of my original lines if I knew I was on deadline for an upcoming sprite update.

I am very well aware of how much work goes into spriting and how much MORE work and consideration goes into updating an existing sprite. I don't love seeing the artists knocked around by bitterness. But a little communication would lower the angst factor considerably. Just let people vent their spleens in a protest thread you can ignore, but those of us who know better will at least have a chance to save an image of our favorite lines. Far less coding than Legacy View with just a little communication. I know I'd trade the "surprise" factor for less ire upon the new sprite release if I were modding.

NerfedBirdcage.JPG

4 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I can't say I'm... keen on these being Harry Potter references. I have zero interest anymore in HP so this is a shame.

I just look at it as simply a new dragon on DC. The HP reference maybe a fun thing for those who are into HP, but that's it. I don't like Pokemon. I've played it, but it really couldn't hold my attention, wasn't interested in the creatures, etc. Doesn't mean I don't like the dragons (or eggs during the Easter event) that reference to Pokémon....... Don't judge a dragon on it's reference to another game, just look at it as something entirely new that happens to have the same colors as HP.

Just my two cents :)

Edited by Sheriziya

Looks like everybody is getting egglocked. The new eggs are sitting around on the front pages now.

8 minutes ago, Seraphim said:

I don't see why not having interest in HP would prevent you from enjoying new dragons, regardless if there is a thematic reference or not. They're still dragons for the website and should be judged on their own merits, too :) 

I guess I can see how the green hatchling's gendered sprite may look cut off on the top, but I think that's just how the head curve + the spines ended up in the constraints of the hatchling limits. I dunno for sure though. 

23 minutes ago, Nicola said:

Look at the top of the head of the green one and it's tail for starters.

Maybe it's just because I zoomed in on the page, but they all have little areas that seem to be missing near the edges. Even if it's just a pixel or two. Or maybe I'm going blind. :blink:

not blind! it's deffo cut off!

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 3.31.17 PM.png