TJ09

2017-12-18 - Holiday Event Schedule

DC Holiday to-do list (Pre-25th):

1) Breed all of my older holiday dragons (x)

2) Catch more of last year's holiday dragon from the AP (x)

3) Check out the Holidays biome (x)

4) Wish everyone luck hunting whatever CB holidays they need ( )

Good luck, everyone! May you have lots of luck catching that CB Holiday that you need.

I'll see everyone later, when the new holiday dragons are released.

While the hollies don't quite excite me as much as other things, I can't overstate my excitement over getting CB Snow Angels and Solstices to play with. Definitely pleased with this event, no doubt about that. ^_^ 

Was definitely happy to get CB Winter Magis and Snow Angels for sure. Ribbon Dancers and Hollies are whatever for me, but still grabbed them.

2 hours ago, Dianacat777 said:

You know... I've just gotten my first CB holly ever and I think I'm about done with this site.

I was appalled to see the old breeds released in October, and even though I knew this was coming, I'm crushed now - that the thing so many people pined over, considered the pinnacle of aspiration over the years and valued second-gen offspring like precious gems, drops like a common. I didn't sell my soul trading for those second-gens, but plenty of people did. I just... don't feel investment when I can get anything I want without work. There's no point to legacy anything anymore; I just feel like there's no real sense of accomplishment to anything unless you're among the artists and spriters, and that's a very exclusive cadre. No, the oldest and the luckiest users having all the trading fodder wasn't a healthy state for a game, but to me, opportunity-communism has even less value. Call me an elitist if you will, but I like when there's some goodies you get simply on account of having been somewhere a while. 

I mean. I just got a caveborn holly and I didn't feel the most remote flicker of excitement. It was like picking up any other holiday egg. I got the other breed I'd missed caveborns of, I got a cb wrapping-wing to replace one I'd released way back when in order to get a frozen hatchling. And I don't care at all. Most people are happy with this, and that's fine, but I think this is where I have to admit my experience is done.

It's kind of sad to see you post this for two reasons. One, that you're so upset that they're now "common" and that you don't see trying to catch them as an investment. There have been consistently 70-100 people in the biome. People don't go after commons like that. They've invested time and effort catching, trading, and working to gift these holidays to people without. I'm so happy that I've seen more hollies in the AP and more people happily commenting about hollies than ever. I did trade arms and legs for many of my holidays. I'm happy that I don't have to do it anymore. 

The second reason I'm sad is that you were so upset by the return of Halloweens, knew this was coming, and stuck around just long enough to catch your holidays and then post that you're ready to leave. I understand wanting to leave, but why not just quietly catch your holidays and leave the site without commenting? If you leave, you leave. But why even post? 

1 hour ago, Lurhstaap said:

Well, in my case it's just slow hands lol I have some small motor and visual-motor processing speed deficiencies. So it's physically easier to leave my hand in one spot pressing a key than it is to tap on a screen or the mousepad. Only slightly, but enough to make a difference. That said, I didn't know that just F5 would do a refresh. Very interesting. I picked all these keyboard commands up piecemeal over living half my life on the Internet. I imagine most other players did, too. Most of us probably think of CTL-F5 as 'refresh' and don't know there's a difference. Thanks for the education! Just sitting on F5 is even easier. No thumb stretch to CTL. :D

I will just say that I like having my finger on CTL so that when I click an egg it opens a new window instead of directing me away from the biome I'm hunting it. It makes it so much easier while I'm trying to catch things that multiple people are also after! But I use CTL+R, which I believe does the exact same job as F5. That is, not a hard refresh to clear my cache, just a normal refresh, and it lets me keep that finger on the CTL button like I said.

I'll also throw my two cents at the 'are re-released holidays valueless' debate. I think it decreases the value sure, but I don't think that's a bad thing. Also if you have 2nd gens from the original Hollies--or even the female Honorable Mention Hollies!--that's still worth being proud about. None of the Hollies released this year will be female, no matter how cool that would be. None of the Hollies released this year will have original dates. So, people who traded for those should still be proud to have them. That's what I think, anyway.

Y'know, I've been historically for keeping "limited edition" breeds limited, but I can't say I'm unhappy to have some CB Hollies of my own. Dunno if I'll release my frozen hatchlings in favor of adults... I'm attached to those little guys. :)

Also, anyone know if the CB Hollies or Mistletoes (i think?) can be influenced? Forgot to check before mine hatched... whoops.

1 minute ago, Stromboli said:

Also, anyone know if the CB Hollies or Mistletoes (i think?) can be influenced? Forgot to check before mine hatched... whoops.

They cannot be influenced. They'll be male and female (respectively) as their original releases were. :)

@Stromboli They can't.

Also, I'd assume TJ09 would change all of them to their original gender anyways as he would have done with Solstices and their wing colour.

2 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Y'know, I've been historically for keeping "limited edition" breeds limited, but I can't say I'm unhappy to have some CB Hollies of my own. Dunno if I'll release my frozen hatchlings in favor of adults... I'm attached to those little guys. :)

They can't. The text just says (Unavailable) instead of (Unavailable for this breed).

Yes, only the bred Holly and Mistletoe can be either gender. CB is male and female respectively always.

Just now, Condorflight said:

Yes, only the bred Holly and Mistletoe can be either gender. CB is male and female respectively always.

Technically female Hollies exist but they were Honorable Mentions from when the Christmas Raffles were a thing.

Okay, true, yes. Forgot about them.

Edited by Condorflight

*dances* My Christmas dragon collection is complete!!! Thanks to the wonderful generosity to two users that gifted me two CB Hollies OMG! *dances some more* Thank you times a million! :nyan:

It was a long hard fought battle. But I finally got my two Yule Bucks. I am happy. ^^

WB

Edited by Wolfs_Bane

45 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

The second reason I'm sad is that you were so upset by the return of Halloweens, knew this was coming, and stuck around just long enough to catch your holidays and then post that you're ready to leave. I understand wanting to leave, but why not just quietly catch your holidays and leave the site without commenting? If you leave, you leave. But why even post? 

Agreed. Or why even pick up the eggs at all if they're leaving? Sounds like they aren't really leaving.

Edited by BatPopsicle

43 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

If it were me, I'd hold off for a year on releasing the frozens - something TJ said in Suggestions today seemed to indicate he's actually considering allowing unfreezing in the future.

Edited by LibbyLishly

I'm crushed now - that the thing so many people pined over, considered the pinnacle of aspiration over the years and valued second-gen offspring like precious gems, drops like a common. I didn't sell my soul trading for those second-gens, but plenty of people did. I just... don't feel investment when I can get anything I want without work.

I spent all day the other day catching my hollies and yulebucks.  I prefer that to having to deal with people who were lucky enough to have been in the DC back when those dragons first came out.  I have no desire to lord it over people who just joined a few years ago, and so don't have the Holiday dragons that I caught then. 

The new egg will drop for 3 days, like past Christmases? So that means it will be in the cave until 11:59 PM on the 27th? Trying to time all my hatching XD I couldn't resist snagging a few eggs from the AP - which is really lagging for me incidentally.

12 minutes ago, LibbyLishly said:

If it were me, I'd hold off for a year on releasing the frozens - something TJ said in Suggestions today seemed to indicate he's actually considering allowing unfreezing in the future.

Well, that would just be my luck since I released my CB hatchies to get CB adults. Whatever decision I make always seems to be the wrong one - first I froze an original release, then when the limit on non-CBs was removed that seemed like a waste of a valuable CB slot. Now CBs are dropping again so I released my old hatchlings. It would figure if there was a way to unfreeze so that I could have kept them. I would not have minded the unfreeze, but if it is at all selective to holidays, then I (selfishly, I suppose) hope it doesn't happen just because that should have been done first or simultaneously with the reintroduction of older CB holidays. 

My thoughts on the economics of dragon cave... I have been trying and trying to get CB holidays... and yes I have gotten some, but it goes slow, just like it did on Halloween. I am not doing bad but not great like some folks. Some folks can hunt for eggs when they drop better than others, and then there are those times one gets maxed and the holiday area gots eggs finally and sad face I can’t even try (we all know that pain). Or maybe some folks have no internet of their own so can’t hover online all day. So even though the opportunity is there and with shear persistence for all to get at least 1 CB each breed they may also not get that. That’s right despite everyone’s efforts some of us will not end up with 2 CBS of each breed, let alone 1 CB Of each breed. Those with 24 hour service, fast internet and better access via their computer type will consistently out do others. Some foIks like myself who do not have all the CBs could dump the bred eggs I have and only keep CB but why? The bred eggs mainly from the AP will prove useful in breedings latter. I know I have dragons others would not keep as they don’t fit into their breeding schemes, just as I have released some adults or returned to the AP some eggs that others probably think are awesome but don’t work with my goals... so this brings us to economics.

A thing has value if you value it sure, but only in so much as others do as well. Thus it is interactive. So the fear is suddenly there will be a flood of 2E Christmas Dragons? First off some folks hardly ever release to the AP or trade or even breed so if those people suddenly get CBs in each breed it is probably a non effect, secondly the addition of new lines to breeding programs is usually valued except for folks working on inbred lines thus a few more 2E lines will have value still, thirdly some folks like to step breed, so sure now there are a few more lines possible but in the end depending on what a player is doing I very much doubt it will drastically skew things as each of us have slightly different goals.

The eggs will have value still is my conclusion. 

4 minutes ago, Twimm said:

The new egg will drop for 3 days, like past Christmases? So that means it will be in the cave until 11:59 PM on the 27th? Trying to time all my hatching XD I couldn't resist snagging a few eggs from the AP - which is really lagging for me incidentally.

That's what I understand, yes. Also I noticed the lag in the AP earlier on my phone, which is much faster than my laptop/internet when I actually have a signal, and I did have a signal so it shouldn't have been so slow.

I’m usually only around for the Christmas holiday season, but unfortunately wasn’t able to come online before Christmas day for me. Still, I’m always appalled at the greed and selfishness of some users here. It’s been 10 years since Hollies were released and some of you actually wish that only those users who were old enough (at least 23 yrs old now—I’m sure dozens of DC users are between 13-23 now) could get CBs (Plus, “I grabbed a CB Holly as if it was any other CB holiday” good for you, not everyone has your internet or reflexes and not everyone should be withheld something just because it’s easy for you, lol). Unbelievable. Good luck the rest of the year, TJ09.

I am really happy we are able to get CBs and I hope this allows us to do more of what we actually enjoy: making lineages! Thank you very much TJ09!

1 minute ago, dragonstar said:

I am really happy we are able to get CBs and I hope this allows us to do more of what we actually enjoy: making lineages! Thank you very much TJ09!

I'm not one for making lineages and such, but... I'm really excited about playing around with all the CB Holidays I didn't have before. :D

I see people all the time that want CB Vampires bitten only by original CB Vampires. So I am sure that people will now want a 2nd gen Holly in trade only from the original 2007 Hollys or only from an HM Female Holly. So I see nothing has changed except that now a lot of people that have my same playstyle are very excited to finally have their scroll goal completed and have "ALL" CBs it is possible to get, including those Hollys and other Xmas CBs they might have missed. For me Holly was the only thing I was missing, and I was so glad we got the Holiday Biome back for Xmas....cause....WOOT...I have CB Hollys now. I also dont care that they are not from 2007...just that they are CB Hollys and they are mine! I can bred any lineage I want now and bred mates and trade for mates for mine. This is a awesome Christmas!

Merry Christmas to all and *hugs*

Zylara