Erra

Snow Angel Breed

Well, of course you're free to come up with a solution to the dilemma of introducing all snow angel colors on one scroll without excluding anything and without making existing lineages impossible to continue/replicate. Personally, I can't think of any way to do that.

@olympe what if the Adopt BSA DID stick? That would make it an even more practical suggestion (although the being able to eventually influence eggs ourselves is, admittedly, already a nice bonus), as people wouldn't have to hatch, and then people could also drop eggs to the AP that others could get in those colors.

Although... I do have to say I wouldn't shoot down any idea on behalf of non-forum-users. They already miss out on a lot of opportunities by not being here (low gen prizes are hard to find in the AP, for starters), so while this would be another disadvantage, it's not anything new. If they notice scrolls start showing multiple colors they can poke around and find out how to get one if they really want. I mean, I get the being shy thing (despite being active on here, I'm pretty solitary in person), but trying to edit suggestions to please a bunch of people we can't communicate with seems counter-productive. The news thread is linked right in the forums, they could look without joining if they needed to, and then try to swap through dragon markets or other forums if they wanted. 

I'm not trying to be insensitive, but... I mean, they chose not to add their voice to discussions when they chose not to join the forums. 

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I'd completely support it if the Adopt BSA stuck with eggs through abandoning. Then my complaint completely goes away, because no one would have to rely on people taking their own precious time to hatch eggs just to abandon them for others. Breed, use BSA on egg, abandon, rinse repeat. Easy peasy.

12 minutes ago, fuzzbucket said:

Snow Angels are female only. So.... the misgendering thing won't be a problem.

I know that. I was referring to the Halloween ones. Picked up a lot of incorrect hatchlings for my frozen collection, but that was all they were good for. Granted, there are some people who would want them to be both genders (I don't really care either way on that).

I would prefer if the BSA did stick. Gives people more time in general if they can't be around the day an egg becomes incuhatchable or otherwise.
And I do have to wonder how many DC players do not speak english. It is an 'english' game, but there's very little important text (and I've figured out how to play games I can't read before).

3 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

I'd completely support it if the Adopt BSA stuck with eggs through abandoning. Then my complaint completely goes away, because no one would have to rely on people taking their own precious time to hatch eggs just to abandon them for others. Breed, use BSA on egg, abandon, rinse repeat. Easy peasy.

There is a problem with that, though.

Imagine you found a nice-lineaged snow angel in the AP that just happens to match your normal scroll color. You hatch the egg without extra influence (because, duh, it should hatch the normal way, right?) - and it turns out to be the wrong color. Because some mischievous/ignorant player actually influenced it wrong. 

And, just in case this pops up eventually: An egg "influenced" by a spriter's alt should hatch into a regular tri-colored variant on a non-spriter's scroll. Because, really, the tans shouldn't be passed around.

Simple solution to that would be to have a small indication (maybe on the egg's view page?) showing that it was influenced. Then if it was influenced wrong you just toss it back as soon as you get it, no harm no foul. I mean you may be disappointed that you can't continue that lineage, but there is no guarantee that you can *ever* continue a lineage you randomly pick up from the AP, so I don't see that as a huge issue.

@Marie19R Please don't twist my words or EVER accuse me of being selfish. I said "WILL they care?", not "they won't care". And if you personally know them, obviously they do have a community that just isn't the primary community and you can help them out. My point is that we can't know what people who play who don't interact with anyone else who plays at all might think of the whole thing, and we can't possibly know what percentage of users are like that. I see objecting on those unknowable, mysterious players' behalf as objecting for the sake of objecting.

Could go either way on the influence sticking. Olympe's points about the problems are valid - if there can be a note on these indications they've been influenced, why not gender-influenced why on our own scrolls? Why DOESN'T gender influence stick? It opens a whole can of worms.

Sorry @LibbyLishly , I wasn't addressing you specifically, I was addressing the general attitude I've seen around here that non-forum-goers can't possibly care about the game as much as those who are on the forum. It annoys me, that's all. I wasn't pointing to you specifically.

Honestly I've always wondered why gender-influence doesn't stick, I have no idea the reasoning behind that. But I wouldn't want to shoot down a new way of handling a BSA just because a different BSA doesn't work that way.

@Marie19R No worries, I should have known better than to take that personally from you. 

If the SA influence WAS implemented and DID stick, I'd definitely be in here calling for gender influence to stick, too. I would personally open that can of worms. XD

I like TCA's idea the most. I don't breed much and I like the idea of being able to obtain every version of the Snow Angel. Breeding true is also a fairly nice option.

Sorta mix of ideas- what if SAs bred true by default, but you could use that BSA to change an egg if you wanted to? Seems like the easier way to go.

I like the idea of a snow angel BSA sticking, but would also like if it could also be overrided (that is, if abandoned and someone else BSAs it to their preference that new one now sticks).

Possibly the snow angel you're using can tell what the egg grows up to be, and it shows up on the BSA page before use?

example:

Gold Snow Angel.gif

Dragon            Code                                  Type

(egg)               (code)                            Tri-colored

(egg)               (code)                         White and Gold

(egg)               (code)                                Gold (already matches your dragon)

12 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Sorta mix of ideas- what if SAs bred true by default, but you could use that BSA to change an egg if you wanted to? Seems like the easier way to go.

I like this, especially if influence doesn't stick. Or if it only sticks in trades and not abandoning eggs.

20 minutes ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I like this idea. Like @Marie19R said, DC is a pretty solitary game and it should stay that way. Trading should always be optional, not a requirement for getting a certain breed of dragon. I personally don't want to have to depend on others to hatch correctly colored SA hatchlings for me. I've been scammed over CB Halloween hatchlings enough in the past to be hesitant about accepting such a trade. I don't have CB SAs myself, so if CBs aren't brought back this year, TCA's suggestion would make obtaining all three variants pretty difficult for myself and anyone else who joined after their original release. 

As for players not on the forum, I agree with @angelicdragonpuppy. I'd also like to add that holiday event/release threads are always linked on the site itself. You don't need a forum account to view those threads. I'm pretty sure that TJ would make note of a change with how SAs color in that thread if it happens, so those players would have a way to stay informed. It's their own decision if they choose to ignore it.

2 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

As for players not on the forum, I agree with @angelicdragonpuppy. I'd also like to add that holiday event/release threads are always linked on the site itself. You don't need a forum account to view those threads. I'm pretty sure that TJ would make note of a change with how SAs color in that thread if it happens, so those players would have a way to stay informed. It's their own decision if they choose to ignore it.

Them being linked on the front page hasn't always been the case, but yeah, now that it is, it at least helps some.

Would it be possible to make Snow Angels breed true to their parent's color, but you could use the Adopt BSA to influence it a different way? We'd then be able to collect all the different varieties without needing to rely on outside help, and without losing the possibility of alternating lineages. 

Edit: Already been suggested. XD But yeah, I definitely agree with Dragon_Arbock's idea. 

Edited by Tehya Faye

^That was pretty much what I just suggested. Assuming this is a viable course of action, I think it would be the simplest and only requires trading if you want to,

2 hours ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

I'd like this in combination with @Shadowdrake's idea because it will help users who are just picking up their first possibly CB snow angels (if we get a Christmas biome), so they know what their default scroll color is. 

1 minute ago, Jazeki said:

I'd like this in combination with @Shadowdrake's idea because it will help users who are just picking up their first possibly CB snow angels (if we get a Christmas biome), so they know what their default scroll color is. 

Well, you would need a Snow Angel already to use that BSA that would tell you the color, so I don't see how you could use that without knowing what your default scroll color is at the moment.

1 minute ago, Dragon_Arbock said:

Well, you would need a Snow Angel already to use that BSA that would tell you the color, so I don't see how you could use that without knowing what your default scroll color is at the moment.

I blanked out that it was for snow angels, but people could have bred snow angels that keep their mom's colors grow up before the end of the week is up. 

I suppose. I said 'in the moment' cause I figured people wouldn't have a way to tell the first year, but could possibly have bred ones and no CB next year. The Halloweens I got grew up on the 31st, so I guess it's doable, but cutting it close.

Why not modify the Aeon's BSA to also tell us the wing color instead of just the gender?

And, yes, I like the idea of "breeding true" combined with "adopt".

Edited by olympe

On 14.11.2017 at 7:48 PM, Marie19R said:

Yup, it's been stated this will never happen. And it would kind of be complicated if it did happen... What about all those people who had scroll-coded Snow Angels before the change? Would they still be stuck with that same coloring, would any Snow Angels they got after the change be the scroll-coded color or a chosen color, would they be forced to release all the scroll-coded ones if they weren't the color they wanted, would there be some sort of option to change the color on old Snow Angels? Nah, way too complicated.

I think its simple - give Snow Angels BSA: Roll - give to dragon random wing pattern from three possibles - avilable only for NoN-Alts (or give Alt this three themes on wings) - 3-7 days cooldown? + mayby if you dont use in 30days, the color changes itself?

Idea from one game, there exist item what change color of pet (8 possibles or something)

@Erra Read the rest of the thread before commenting. That quote isn't even relevant anymore, TJ himself came in and said change is possible. And people have already mentioned giving Snow Angels the bsa to 'adopt' eggs to make them their own color.