Moonlight_Eevee

Make Eggs Visible in Biomes

There's a massive internet advantage anyway.

The mystery egg sprites are images anyway. Loading them does not require pulling down the whole image each time - the DC server says "this has not changed, you can use the version you have" (effectively) and it would also be this way for the actual egg sprites. The only difference is that there would possibly be slightly more bandwidth used (I don't know, actually) since it would perform this check on each displayed sprite (does it do this on each displayed mystery egg? like I said, I don't know) and also each time you viewed an egg for the first time the full sprite would be downloaded.

Even so this is not necessary for anyone, and would take the fun that some of us ENJOY out of it. So sometimes you get a purple dorsal when you hoped for a red and have to wait 5 hours to get rid. That is Not A Big Deal.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

8 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Even so this is not necessary for anyone, and would take the fun that some of us ENJOY out of it. So sometimes you get a purple dorsal when you hoped for a red and have to wait 5 hours to get rid. That is Not A Big Deal.

I'm not certain how the option to look at eggs would somehow ruin at all. If it's about the alts thing, what could be done is either showing the most common per-breed sprite, or showing grayscale versions for them.

8 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

And BTW I hadn't noticed the change on your sig, osmarks, but I for one am delighted that it's gone. It was rude and insulting.

Okaaaay...

I do not consider that a valid reason for moderators to edit your signature without any sort of advance notice, and it wasn't the reason given, and if you have further comments please just PM me instead.

Edited by osmarks

1 hour ago, Nagapie said:

After all, if you aren't willing to invest the bit of time required to memorize rare egg descriptions for hunting, I don't see why you'd even deserve to catch rare eggs in the first place.

I was content with my neutral stance...but that really irked me. Memorization isn't the only thing at play in rare-hunting. You can have the best memory on the planet but without the fast net and reflexes, you won't catch crud. But thank you for drawing the line with who "deserves" to catch rares. *slow clap*

After all, if you aren't willing to invest the bit of time required to memorize rare egg descriptions for hunting, I don't see why you'd even deserve to catch rare eggs in the first place.

That's actually not all there is to it. You not only need to know a description by heart and word-by-word, or you'll get confused the heck out of you. There are just way too many very similar descriptions around. So, in order to recognize a description quickly, you need to know where the lines break in an actual in-cave description. But, in order to find out about that, you need to see the egg you're looking for first... In some cases, that's really hard, especially if your internet is not state of the art.

1 hour ago, osmarks said:

There's a massive internet advantage anyway.

The mystery egg sprites are images anyway. Loading them does not require pulling down the whole image each time - the DC server says "this has not changed, you can use the version you have" (effectively) and it would also be this way for the actual egg sprites. The only difference is that there would possibly be slightly more bandwidth used (I don't know, actually) since it would perform this check on each displayed sprite (does it do this on each displayed mystery egg? like I said, I don't know) and also each time you viewed an egg for the first time the full sprite would be downloaded.

I know nothing about the coding/tech of DC, but I know what I've experienced. However the site works in order to show the images, it *does* cause lag when there are more images to show, regardless of if it's being viewed for the first time or not.. It causes *significant* lag on my phone when loading the AP, as opposed to loading the front page where there are relatively few separate images. If the site is loading the biome egg images as one repeated image (since it is infact the same mystery-egg image for all of them) I would logically assume that would load faster then if it's loading three separate images every single time. 

Regardless, I don't think this is really needed (and as fuzz mentioned, it's actually a lot easier for me to hone-in on a specific word in a description then remember what every single image is, especially since many eggs are pretty similar-looking) (I've already had issues in the AP with Ash eggs, they look pretty darn similar to Nocturnes and even to Storms on my screen.)

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

I know nothing about the coding/tech of DC, but I know what I've experienced. However the site works in order to show the images, it *does* cause lag when there are more images to show, regardless of if it's being viewed for the first time or not.. It causes *significant* lag on my phone when loading the AP, as opposed to loading the front page where there are relatively few separate images.

30 images is significantly more than 3.

True - but how fast do rares go? 1/10th of a second? Less? In that case, even a little lag is a little lag too much.

10 hours ago, animatedrose said:

I was content with my neutral stance...but that really irked me. Memorization isn't the only thing at play in rare-hunting. You can have the best memory on the planet but without the fast net and reflexes, you won't catch crud. But thank you for drawing the line with who "deserves" to catch rares. *slow clap*

9 hours ago, olympe said:

That's actually not all there is to it. You not only need to know a description by heart and word-by-word, or you'll get confused the heck out of you. There are just way too many very similar descriptions around. So, in order to recognize a description quickly, you need to know where the lines break in an actual in-cave description. But, in order to find out about that, you need to see the egg you're looking for first... In some cases, that's really hard, especially if your internet is not state of the art.

Well, this backlash was a little surprising. I never claimed that memorization was the only thing at play when catching rare eggs. I just meant that for someone coming to the game as a new player, that's the bare minimal you need to learn to even have a chance at egg hunting in the current system. I think this is okay and should not be changed. If you aren't prepared to put even that small amount of effort into learning the game, I don't see why the game should reward you. At no point did I say "Oh just learn the descriptions and you'll catch all the rares, problem solved". Obviously, there are other things to it too. Part of the reason why I took this whole newbie perspective was to react to Luxrayx's comment before mine, especially this part.

11 hours ago, Luxrayx said:

I really like the idea of showing both text and sprites for people who have unlocked the encyclopedia. Memorizing egg descriptions isn't an issue for me personally, but it must be pretty daunting for newer users. Not to mention frills/horses and sun/moonstones. The randomness feels less like a fun challenge and more like an unnecessary layer of frustration. It's not that big of an issue though, so if loading more images is going to slow things down, then whatever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Please look at the sentence within the full context of what I said, instead of nitpicking the one line that sounded controversial to you and fattening that up to supposedly mean something completely different.

Edited by Nagapie

Well, this backlash was a little surprising. I never claimed that memorization was the only thing at play when catching rare eggs. I just meant that for someone coming to the game as a new player, that's the bare minimal you need to learn to even have a chance at egg hunting in the current system. I think this is okay and should not be changed. If you aren't prepared to put even that small amount of effort into learning the game, I don't see why the game should reward you. At no point did I say "Oh just learn the descriptions and you'll catch all the rares, problem solved". Obviously, there are other things to it too.

This. When you start, with hundreds of breeds out there, a few words are easier to REMEMBER than an image, till you get settled.

What I also don't get is why so many suggestions which would dramatically change a game many of us have played happily for many years, on the whole designed to make it More Dramatic and Easier, are coming from newer players. Why join in a game you (generic) don't actually seem to like much about, if it bothers enough right from the start that you want to change it all over ? What a lot of older players particularly LIKE about it is that it is nice and gentle, slow, as solitary as you want it to be, no bells and whistles, no grinding, leave it a few weeks and come back and it still works. There are no other games like it out there and I for one would like it to retain the appeal it has by being different and quieter. If people want Flight Rising and the rest - they can go play those. Those of us who loathe them LIKE it here just the way it is (with a few small tweaks, I admit, but nothing game changing like this and a few other suggestions lately have been.)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, especially given that quickly scrolling through suggestions hasn't shown me anything I think sounds very game changing.

Oh, we get these every once in a while. Battling and training, ability to trade adults, breeding across scroll (=>stud service), "more ways to interact with your dragons", hybrids for every combination... you get the idea.

12 minutes ago, olympe said:

Oh, we get these every once in a while. Battling and training, ability to trade adults, breeding across scroll (=>stud service), "more ways to interact with your dragons", hybrids for every combination... you get the idea.

Exactly - thanks olympe.

I think I forgot throwbacks and ascension, transgender dragons, (gay) adoption becoming an official part, the ability to breed and keep multi-clutches.. What else? 😛 

Constant requests for new sprites - not game changing, but not something a new player should be suggesting. Weather Influence (a REALLY game changing one which would be a pain for a "relaxed" player who builds lineages). Buying other people's eggs with shards - creating in game currency outside the market....

Edited by Fuzzbucket

14 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Exactly - sometimes I’ve seen Ridgewings sitting in the Alpine for ages, and when I’ve decided to click on one I’ve been super happy and shocked to find it was a tan one. If the images showed for everyone, there wouldn’t have been a chance in hell I’d have gotten that.

It’d give a disadvantage to people with slower internet, and probably a disadvantage to newer players too. A lot of older players would recognise the rarer egg images so much quicker than newbies, and it’d be a lot harder for new people to catch rarer stuff I think. I just really don’t support getting rid of the descriptions as they’d be completely useless then.

As well, it makes sense to be able to see images in the AP because the parent dragons have abandoned them, meaning you can get a good look at them. In the biomes, the eggs are still with the parents so all you have to go on is a little glimpse when grabbing them, for fear of being eaten. It makes sense that when you could get killed for thieving you might only see a glimpse of gold and grab a Golden Wyvern thinking it’s a Gold Dragon (which I’ve... definitely never done... nope /s)

Thumbs up to the Bard :) 

To get a tan or a red dorsal  from the biomes, you have to take a small risk. Don't want to - watch the AP - they DO show up there occasionally.

It's not as if new players will immediately recognise anything. You have to have played for a day or two to know ANY description or image.

IF - god forbid - this were to happen, the alts should not show separate images - all dorsals should show purple and ridgies purple too.  You click to see which you get. Same with sun and moonstones - frustrating though they are. And then there's the small matter of firegems and lunar heralds where you have to make an effort to know which is dropping. And others I cannot remember just now. Purple and blue dinos. Horses and Frills. Stripes and Spitters (though you can tell those by biome).

As for pinks and flamingoes...

No - this would take FAR too much of the fun of surprises out of it all.

If you have one of the rotators immediately viewable - no. But lunar heralds go pretty fast. Not sure about firegems, as I don't need any just now.

Five hours if you get the wrong breed - what IS the big deal here ?

39 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Thumbs up to the Bard :) 

To get a tan or a red dorsal  from the biomes, you have to take a small risk. Don't want to - watch the AP - they DO show up there occasionally.

I lOVE grabbing dorsals and ridgewings.  common color I can either toss them later or freeze them.  "alt" color and I've got easy trade fodder for some of the last of my scroll goals.  Also, I like surprises/mystery box type things.  sometimes it not about what you get, it's the not knowing providing the anticipation.  Which is why I do not want to see the images in the biomes. 

I've been here for years, and we now have so many species that I often have no idea what dragon the description goes to.  sometimes I click on them just to find out.  It's part of the fun for me. I was here when they released I just don't remember all of them.  So what if newer member's have the same problem of not knowing?  we have a the wiki, which while not official tells you all the descriptions so you could easily learn your favorites and go from there.  (When I started for some reason you weren't allowed to tell people which description went to which egg you had to figure it out yourself.  Never understood that rule, but it's gone now so you (generic) have the advantage of being able to know all the descriptions right from the start)

5 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

I've been here for years, and we now have so many species that I often have no idea what dragon the description goes to.  sometimes I click on them just to find out.  It's part of the fun for me. I was here when they released I just don't remember all of them.  So what if newer member's have the same problem of not knowing?  we have a the wiki, which while not official tells you all the descriptions so you could easily learn your favorites and go from there.  (When I started for some reason you weren't allowed to tell people which description went to which egg you had to figure it out yourself.  Never understood that rule, but it's gone now so you (generic) have the advantage of being able to know all the descriptions right from the start)

Agreed. 

I would be really sad to see this aspect of DC changed after all these years. For me it is just part of the character of the game.

Yes, I often miss an egg that I would have wanted because someone was quicker at reading and understanding the description, but I doubt I would have any better chance of getting it if everyone could see the image and jump on it instantly. My reflexes just aren't that good.

I'm not really interested in this suggestion to be honest because 1) it gives older players/players with more time an advantage, 2) it doesn't really seem to improve the site in any way, and 3) I like the "risk" factor that comes with not knowing an egg's description. If I grab the wrong thing, I only need to wait 5 hours before I can abandon it. It makes learning the descriptions a fun priority. On the other hand, it's nice to be surprised with a Tan Ridgewing or Red Dorsal. It wouldn't be a surprise (or as easy) if the egg sprite was shown.

So no support from me. I like the cave as it is.

Edited by The Dragoness

7 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

Exactly - sometimes I’ve seen Ridgewings sitting in the Alpine for ages, and when I’ve decided to click on one I’ve been super happy and shocked to find it was a tan one. If the images showed for everyone, there wouldn’t have been a chance in hell I’d have gotten that.

This issue can easily be solved if the purple variant is what you always see - and only after taking the egg home you realize it's actually tan (or red, in case of dorsals).