Moonlight_Eevee

Make Eggs Visible in Biomes

I´m against showing the image of the egg

BUT

I would like to have correct desc for many eggs, like what got said with horse/frill: they only have one marking not markingS.

Not only to FINALLY have such 'markings' eggs have thier own description and not share it with like 4-5 others, but also to make it correct for the eggs itself.

Still think that eggs sharing description is not a bad thing, brings some randomness to it

(Unless you are a cheater like me and use the lineage page of mystery eggs to grab frills huehuehue)

2 hours ago, olympe said:

Not really. Because the adult dragon is still a far cry from the egg. In some cases, egg and adult don't even look that much alike. (See GoN, Black Tea, Sunstone, Sunrise/Sunset, Anagallis, Brimstone, Canopy, Vine, Diamondwing... it's a long list, really.)

I meant when you click on the egg in the cave, you don't know what it's going to look like as a new person until it takes you to it's view/code page. Obviously what the egg looks like and what the adult turns into are different. ( Off topic but I wish we could freeze eggs, as I love certain egg sprites)

10 hours ago, Yubelchen said:

horse/frill: they only have one marking not markingS.

You only see one side of the egg. It might as well have more on its other side.

Personally I think, with the encyclopedia, it would be interesting for every egg to be a ? at first, but then have the image become viable once you've raised enough of the egg.

That being said, TJ will probably veto that for the same reason he veto'd the 'marking things you've already picked up in the AP' suggestion- the page is universal so everyone sees the same thing.

20 hours ago, IVIandy said:

I meant when you click on the egg in the cave, you don't know what it's going to look like as a new person until it takes you to it's view/code page. Obviously what the egg looks like and what the adult turns into are different. ( Off topic but I wish we could freeze eggs, as I love certain egg sprites)

Well, that's why I wanted egg visibility linked to the encyclopedia. At first, everything is new. But, after a while, you're getting familiar with certain eggs...

(No, I don't have the encyclopedia unlocked completely. I never put in the effort, as it has no effect on the game. But I probably would if it benefited me in any way, even if it was only to make eggs visible in the biomes.)

Hmm, in my opinion, the eggs being invisible is a pivotal part of the game. You often see a stalemate in the AP with all the common cave-blockers being stuck there, and in the biomes this is often enough of a problem anyway, which I think would only be intensified were eggs to be visible. Personally I like the fact that you can fall back on the AP to look for easy rare-grabs but you have the consequence that it'll probably be bred. Like for instance, I already have plenty of Nexus', but grabbed one in the cave the other day because I thought its description was something like a Zyumorph. Needless to say, I was a little disappointed, but that's the fun of the game for me. I feel like, were all eggs visible, there wouldn't be nearly as much challenge to the game, and the egg descriptions would become somewhat redundant.

It might be a bit of fun at first, but after you've reflex-clicked the twenty-something-th Ember because you mistook the description for a Magma (again!), the fun factor is pretty much down to zero. XD 

I'd be okay with this, it's been a long time since the egg descriptions where a secret, you can simply google the description or Ctrl+f the wiki page.

Even new release's sprites are prominently shown in the news feed so what's the harm in letting people see the egg sprites?

Edited by blockEdragon

First let me say I have miss clicked like everyone else, and yes it can be disappointing or frustrating but that is an aspect of the game’s challenges. I also often see an egg in description I want but can never snag it, it seems I am not fast enough most of the time. So I get the frustration of not being fast enough to read that description, remember if that is what you want and so on.  At this point we are all talking about normal issues... Not so normal issues blind people are on the internet and play games, they need the descriptions so the computer can read it to them. People with memory disabilities play DC, people with physical disabilities such as motion control that make speed clicking a challenge play DC... I bring this up to help some of you all realize just how much more challenging the game is for some on top of any technological issues we all find annoying or that give some folks an edge. Some people actually find the descriptions better than the images where as others it is image over the words. Eyesite, color processing ability of the eye, even gender effects what we physically see, no we do not all see the same.

When considering the AP versus the Biomes I prefer to a big degree the descriptions over the pictures but in a perfect world of my fantasy I would get the description and a pretty picture in both areas. However part of the fun & frustration of the Biomes is the question marked egg... so I don’t think that should just go away. 

I like like the idea of the Encyclopedia being more useful towards game play, not just lore fun facts, which I enjoy... but it needs to also be useful towards playing the game. I like the fun lore, but honestly I think fully unlocking each dragon should include not just finally seeing their name of breed listed on your scroll or just lore.

* Egg description should at the very minimum appear over in the Encyclopedia.

* If the breed is a Hybrid that info should appear.

* It would be nice if the dragon breed is fully unlocked we could see the egg in the Biomes... but not sure how doable this is. 

I have clicked on the wrong eggs in both the AP and the Biomes, I don’t have to keep the AP eggs so the frustration is less sure but the miss click can happen in both areas.

I have mixed feelings on the dragons with exact same description on the one hand I don’t like not getting what I am hunting for but on the other I like that it is not just 100%, the challenge is real for some breeds and I think the game needs that.

The blacked out egg is there for a reason. Personally, I would just like an update to eggs that share descriptions much more than displaying the egg itself to replace the blacked out egg with a red question mark on it.

I agree with everyone who said it should be tied to the encyclopedia, to give a reason besides a slightly-worse-in-cave-wiki.

As it is, it's mostly just an annoyance (memorize the few rares that matter - and quickly ctrl+f => google everything else). However when I recently-ish returned from a hiatus it was pretty painful to relearn most of the descriptions - especially as the site just keeps getting bigger and adding more breeds. If I was new this would be a gigantic hump to get over to really get into the game

Honestly I'd be more in favour of a lot of the breed descriptions being revised but either way my gripe:

What about the ones that don't have IDENTICAL descriptions, but REALLY SIMILAR ONES?

There are SO MANY "this egg glows/shines/whatever" I can't keep them straight anymore. I refreshed past a CB silver (the only breed I need one more CB of, at that) because I was trying to remember which "glow" description it has. 

How many breeds are found in-cave again? I'm too lazy to subtract all of the holidays and hybrids from the just over 200 dragons we have now, but I don't think I've had to memorize over 100 phrases exactly and be able to recall them super quick for any of my college classes. 
(Then again, don't ask me, I'm just a liberal arts major! *giggle*/Malibu Stacey) 

Edited by DorkJulian

I am so not okay with the Encyclopedia helping to see eggs, because that will just make it even easier for the person whos caught several CB golds or silvers or other rares and very uncommons to be snagged up even faster compared to those who are new and trying to fill their scroll goals.

I am kinda okay with some of the descriptions being edited as that could make it a little less frustrating but again not something that I am really a big fan of.

I really don't want to be able to see the egg sprite, it will really make the cave clogging a lot worse as the more wanted eggs are snagged up more quickly as its a lot easier to react to an image than it is a description that you have to read.

6 hours ago, DorkJulian said:

Honestly I'd be more in favour of a lot of the breed descriptions being revised but either way my gripe:

What about the ones that don't have IDENTICAL descriptions, but REALLY SIMILAR ONES?

There are SO MANY "this egg glows/shines/whatever" I can't keep them straight anymore. I refreshed past a CB silver (the only breed I need one more CB of, at that) because I was trying to remember which "glow" description it has.

How many breeds are found in-cave again? I'm too lazy to subtract all of the holidays and hybrids from the just over 200 dragons we have now, but I don't think I've had to memorize over 100 phrases exactly and be able to recall them super quick for any of my college classes. 
(Then again, don't ask me, I'm just a liberal arts major! *giggle*/Malibu Stacey)

That's actually a really good point. A huge part of the reason I don't lab-hunt in GPX+ is because I don't have the time to memorize over 800 descriptions. DC isn't that bad yet, but it's going to get to a similar breaking point soon.

I just did a 'find' on the 'which egg is which' page of the wiki, and apparently *nine* normal biome-dropping breeds have 'glow' or 'glowing' in their description (the 10th is a holiday). There are also *ten* biome-dropping breeds with 'shine' or 'shiny' in the description. Many of those are different enough other then that one word that if you take the time to read the whole thing it'd be fine, but you can't really do that when you are trying to be the first one to click it, can you? That really seems like entirely too many breeds with the same keyword. 

I do not support seeing the eggs in the biomes, not at all, but I *definitely* support tweaking egg descriptions so they aren't so similar.

Man, I don't know why, but my mind likes to just lump "shine" and "glow" together. Bleeding Moons are out of the glow/shine eggs that I actually distinguish easily (emphasis simply so people don't mis-read), but I popped in the Alpine because there's almost always one there to re-read its description and it turns out it says "shine." I could've sworn it said glow. 

(If we do go back and edit the descriptions, if the silver one is changed some of the people who worked on the new sprites may feel like pulling their hair out-- I do remember there was a bit of confusion in the thread on how to render a silver egg that realistically looks like silver when the metal doesn't actually glow, per se.)

Main reason I'm replying though is that I would also be in favour of the encylopedia having the descriptions. In fact, I've often checked out the pages thinking they would be there-- I fully admit I'm a scatterbrain that suffers from brain fog regularly, but it also just seems so intuitive, y'know? Also it would just be more convenient to have somewhere to go in-page that has the descriptions, and while the Wikia is great, it is simply easier for me to find the dragon I want either by clicking one I own on my scroll or clicking the picture on the encyclopedia instead of scrolling through the long egg identification pages or text listing of dragon names via the Wikia. 

50 minutes ago, DorkJulian said:

-snip-

Main reason I'm replying though is that I would also be in favour of the encylopedia having the descriptions. In fact, I've often checked out the pages thinking they would be there-- I fully admit I'm a scatterbrain that suffers from brain fog regularly, but it also just seems so intuitive, y'know? Also it would just be more convenient to have somewhere to go in-page that has the descriptions, and while the Wikia is great, it is simply easier for me to find the dragon I want either by clicking one I own on my scroll or clicking the picture on the encyclopedia instead of scrolling through the long egg identification pages or text listing of dragon names via the Wikia. 

THISSSS

It's so annoying that an offsite resource is SO MUCH more helpful than the "encyclopedia" we have onsite.

Make the egg/hatchling descriptions come when you unlock that phase of the breed, or when you've unlocked all of the IMAGE (egg/s1/s2/adult). (not the actual stuff because some of them require owning/looking at some hundred dragons...)

8 hours ago, Marie19R said:

I do not support seeing the eggs in the biomes, not at all, but I *definitely* support tweaking egg descriptions so they aren't so similar.

This, a bit (Not that worried about the descriptions actually - my verbal memory is better than a lot of the other bots of my brain :lol: but yea.

Yes, please! :)

To me it's just a matter of personal gameplay. Maybe someone has already said or experienced this, so, in my case... I don't go cave hunting that much, I'm only, mostly, interested in 3 species right now, all year long, aside from those 3 species whenever there's a new release I try to grab 8-16 (if I like the new species that much) of those new eggs and then bye-bye, then I go back for more of those 3 species.

I'm not much of a breeder either.

Anyway, what I'd like to say is (in general) you go hunting for something specific and suddenly you see a CB Silver dropping (miracles happen from time to time). I froze reading the Silver egg description a couple of days ago (besides, I wasn't looking for one) and you can guess the rest :P. Maybe this could be helpful for people who rarely see valuable eggs and might catch them and trade those valuable eggs for something else they'd like.

Or just keep them.

I'm fine if the mystery eggs stay, but I support this idea :) 

Edited by Kegluneq

Well, I personally like it they way it is.

Of course you can be confused with flamingos/pinks, horses/frills, sunstone/moonstone and the two versions of ridgewings and dorsals.

But honestly this is a kind of unpredictable fun of this game, isn't it?

I like the feeling when for example a ridgewing egg turns out to be a tan colored one.

And this would totally be gone if the egg image would have been visible before.

On the one hand, I see the sentiment and support some sort of ease-of-use adjustment. Coming back after a hiatus, having forgotten half the descriptions and with a whole new stack to learn, was daunting, as well as just exasperating for the first month. I'm STILL misclicking Kingcrownes when I'm hunting Zyus.

On the other hand, though, I JUST got all of these descriptions figured out, and now you want to change them on me? XD I go hunting with two or three specific descriptions in mind so I'm not having to process every single one. I'm sure most other people do this. Even if you change the matching descriptions/different breeds, you'll have people misclicking for months and months - and raging about it - because they thought it was a new breed, and they went a caught a Horse. And I don't love the idea of making the eggs visible. I don't really have good reasons aside from vague worries about everyone clicking faster on shines like they do in the AP, but I don't know that that's a worthwhile concern. So meh to all of it, I guess.

38 minutes ago, Seriva Senkalora said:

I like the feeling when for example a ridgewing egg turns out to be a tan colored one.

Now  THAT should not go. The descriptions are something else.

Might help to memorize two words instead of one. There's only 1 egg in the cave with a "beautiful glow" (the other one is breed-only)

Really in favour of revising descriptions also - as well as some of them being the exact same/too similar, I feel like some descriptions don't really accurately fit the species/appearance of the egg very well.

On 11 January 2018 at 12:30 PM, Seriva Senkalora said:

Well, I personally like it they way it is.

Of course you can be confused with flamingos/pinks, horses/frills, sunstone/moonstone and the two versions of ridgewings and dorsals.

But honestly this is a kind of unpredictable fun of this game, isn't it?

Also strongly agree with everything said here.

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare

On 1/10/2018 at 7:45 PM, Marie19R said:

I just did a 'find' on the 'which egg is which' page of the wiki, and apparently *nine* normal biome-dropping breeds have 'glow' or 'glowing' in their description (the 10th is a holiday). There are also *ten* biome-dropping breeds with 'shine' or 'shiny' in the description. Many of those are different enough other then that one word that if you take the time to read the whole thing it'd be fine, but you can't really do that when you are trying to be the first one to click it, can you? That really seems like entirely too many breeds with the same keyword. 

^^This

I remember waaaaayyyyyy back when I first started, I was hunting for... horse eggs(this was back when there was only the one cave, no biomes lol), and I got so many frills, skywings, and ochredrakes that I couldn't dump for 5+hrs. Adding in the images, as people have mentioned before, puts those with slower internet/browsers/computers at a disadvantage. As it stands, there's only one image to load(besides the ads) for eggs, and texts always load way faster, putting us all on a more or less even playing field. But, I've always disliked getting the wrong eggs because they have the same description as another egg, and then I can't get rid of the unwanted egg for 5+hrs, depending on when I might be able to get back on. Granted, this has gotten easier since biomes were added, but at the same time, there are still a couple of eggs that have either the same or incredibly similar descriptions. If anything is changed, I would support tweaking the egg descriptions. A word here or there would make a huge difference, and as the biomes refresh every... 5 minutes I think? It's not that hard to wait a little bit to see if it refreshes and brings up something you're more interested in. I nabbed a Zyu yesterday while Nebula hunting because my keyword was "radiance", but I mistook "radiate" for "radiance". That wasn't that big of a deal, because I was able to trade the Zyu for something I wanted lol But for horse/frill eggs? That's incredibly frustrating for people(like I used to be) who only want one or the other.

TL;DR: For technical and in-favor-of-fairness reasons, I don't support adding in images, even if you have the encyclopedia entries(though it is an interesting idea, I'm leaning slightly more towards 'it gives an unfair advantage to older players/those who specialize in a breed even if it makes sense game-wise'), but I do support tweaking some of the very similar egg descriptions.