Moonlight_Eevee

Make Eggs Visible in Biomes

8 hours ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

It’d give a disadvantage to people with slower internet, and probably a disadvantage to newer players too. A lot of older players would recognise the rarer egg images so much quicker than newbies, and it’d be a lot harder for new people to catch rarer stuff I think. I just really don’t support getting rid of the descriptions as they’d be completely useless then.

This is a great point. I see a lot of suggestions being touted as 'helping newer players', like they don't know the descriptions or whatever... But I don't see this actually helping at all. People who know what breed an egg is right away will still have the advantage, and who are those people? Older players. Players who've played long enough to know which egg is which. Not having to memorize description keywords still leaves having to memorize *images*, it's really not a huge difference unless you actually have a serious reading issue. 

8 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

IF - god forbid - this were to happen, the alts should not show separate images - all dorsals should show purple and ridgies purple too.  You click to see which you get. Same with sun and moonstones - frustrating though they are. And then there's the small matter of firegems and lunar heralds where you have to make an effort to know which is dropping. And others I cannot remember just now. Purple and blue dinos. Horses and Frills. Stripes and Spitters (though you can tell those by biome).

As for pinks and flamingoes...

No - this would take FAR too much of the fun of surprises out of it all.

This too. There are really a lot of variables here. Anything with alts would need to show the more common variant. Anything that shares a description, how would that be managed? Because they *do* share descriptions on purpose, it's certainly not an accident. I feel like there are a lot of different *reasons* why eggs are not visible in the biomes, reasons that maybe shouldn't be changed just to hypothetically make it 'easier' on some people.

Ehh... I'm not in favor of displaying the common variant and then being surprised with what you actually get. Nor am I in favor of displaying either Sunstone or Moonstone at random and not getting what you thought you were clicking, if I'm reading that correctly?

I'd rather it display the actual egg you're about to pick up or keep mystery eggs. For alts, for shared descriptions, and for time-based differences. Right now with mystery eggs, I know that the click is a gamble when hunting for alts or shared descrip breeds. If you actually present one egg to me, then give me a different one, particularly a different breed altogether, that's a special level annoying.

6 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Ehh... I'm not in favor of displaying the common variant and then being surprised with what you actually get. Nor am I in favor of displaying either Sunstone or Moonstone at random and not getting what you thought you were clicking, if I'm reading that correctly?

I'd rather it display the actual egg you're about to pick up or keep mystery eggs. For alts, for shared descriptions, and for time-based differences. Right now with mystery eggs, I know that the click is a gamble when hunting for alts or shared descrip breeds. If you actually present one egg to me, then give me a different one, particularly a different breed altogether, that's a special level annoying.

Yeah, me too. If it is going to be pictures of the egg, then it should be the actual egg. It should show what you are getting.

I must admit I'm still not sure which way would be the better one. Yes, there's the potential for lag. But we have no way to say how much lag it would cause - and how much more on generally laggy days. Plus, there are people who have an easier time memorizing images (like me) than words - and I'm usually a capable reader. And, while many people may be the same, there are those who will, without a doubt, have more trouble discerning images than words. People who're color blind, or at least blind for either red, green or blue (or two out of the three). And some eggs are still very easy to mix up - especially if you cannot discern shades properly. (Pebble, Mint and Canopy are awful that way.)

I know that, for me at least, being able to see the actual eggs would be a benefit, so I want to support this suggestion. But I'm not sure whether it's a good thing for DC overall. :( 

I just don't see a compelling reason to change this. It might make it easier for some people to hunt the biomes, but for various reasons already stated, that may be cancelled out by the people who will find it harder. I am not really against change if there is a good reason for it, but so far I am not convinced about this change.

If descriptions and sprites were visible, and alt-able eggs displayed as mystery eggs/grayscale/the common variant, then the only wholly negative issue would be the possibility of a bit more lag.

The only negative IN YOUR OPINION. Many of us have said we don't like the idea in any shape or form. It doesn't  need fixing (except in your view) and as they say - if it is not necessary to change, it is necessary not to change.

You don't seem to like so many things here - what other games DO you enjoy ?

Honestly I think the site functions perfectly well as it is. I’ve never heard of a case where people genuinely struggle with the way things are now - some people may have more difficulty reading than others, but as somebody pointed out, some people are colour-blind and may actually rely on the descriptions in order to have a somewhat fair chance.

Seeing as the biomes function absolutely fine as is, I see no reason to change it other than wanting to see a change.

I'd forgotten about the colour blind thing - there was a LONG thread here a few years ago by someone who couldn't tell the eggs in the AP apart for that reason... You're so right RWS. Someone said at the time that there was a programme that could read out loud, but lord knows how that would work.

38 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'd forgotten about the colour blind thing - there was a LONG thread here a few years ago by someone who couldn't tell the eggs in the AP apart for that reason... You're so right RWS. Someone said at the time that there was a programme that could read out loud, but lord knows how that would work.

Too slow to catch anything but commons, that's how. 

4 hours ago, osmarks said:

If descriptions and sprites were visible, and alt-able eggs displayed as mystery eggs/grayscale/the common variant, then the only wholly negative issue would be the possibility of a bit more lag.

In your opinion maybe. Some of us see plenty of other negatives in this suggestion. As has been mentioned, it wouldn't actually *help* newer players in any real way and in fact would most likely *disadvantage* them because the people who recognize what the rarer eggs look like the fastest would be older experienced players. Rare eggs would become even harder to get, picked up even faster, if the image was instantly visible and no one needed to take a second to register the description. Some people have already spoken against the idea of altable eggs showing as the common variant as well. Just because you don't agree with the negative issues doesn't mean they aren't there.

4 hours ago, osmarks said:

That's a great idea: the description would stay there as it is now and the egg image would be there also.

14 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

In your opinion maybe. Some of us see plenty of other negatives in this suggestion. As has been mentioned, it wouldn't actually *help* newer players in any real way and in fact would most likely *disadvantage* them because the people who recognize what the rarer eggs look like the fastest would be older experienced players. Rare eggs would become even harder to get, picked up even faster, if the image was instantly visible and no one needed to take a second to register the description. Some people have already spoken against the idea of altable eggs showing as the common variant as well. Just because you don't agree with the negative issues doesn't mean they aren't there.

Absolutely. This is a change that is not needed, which WOULD have some negative effects on the game as a whole, and is only asked for to make things "easier" for people who don't like to be surprised and have to wait a shocking 5 hours to dump that surprise.

Edited by Fuzzbucket
typo

Semi-support. I think it should only show the sprite for eggs unlocked in your Encyclopedia.

Nah, no support. Would give botters/scripters another leg to stand on and it's just kinda... part of the hunt.

I'd support if it was like previously suggested- you can see eggs after you unlock them in the encyclopedia. But otherwise, I wouldn't support.

3 hours ago, Keileon said:

Nah, no support. Would give botters/scripters another leg to stand on and it's just kinda... part of the hunt.

What Keileon said. It really isn't needed. And a lot of the people who say they can't manage the descriptions and need to see the eggs are the same ones who say they snagged the wrong egg in the AP and the eggs need to look more different from one another. So - what would be the point anyway ? (and we  need to keep the randomness for ridgies and dorsals, too.)

I don't really support this idea either. I think being a bit challenging makes the biomes more interesting (although at times frustrating too, but that's okay) and the visibility of eggs in biomes would end up making them feel too much like a second AP. I like the variety between those.

While I don't really want to see this happen, if it did ridgewing/dorsals could do the same as the market: always show the more common varient and you have to pick it up to see if you got the other.

I really really don't like the idea of eggs being shown in the biomes but then showing the common variant for the alt-types.... That feels a lot like drama waiting to happen. I've said it before, there *will* be a lot of people complaining about that, why is the egg I got different then the one I grabbed, I saw an egg and I clicked it and I got a different egg?! It also doesn't really make sense with the suggestion, honestly... If there is going to be a huge change to make eggs visible in the biomes to 'help' with hunting, why add a completely new complication where you *still* don't know what variant you are picking up? Kind of defeats the point of 'see what's in the biomes'. 

I don't really support the suggestion in the first place, I think the 'mystery eggs in biomes' is kind of a core part of what DC is and has always been and I'd prefer to keep that aspect of the game.

6 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I don't really support the suggestion in the first place, I think the 'mystery eggs in biomes' is kind of a core part of what DC is and has always been and I'd prefer to keep that aspect of the game.

This. I would really not like to see this change. To me, that mystery egg is a vital part of the game. At its heart, DC is a very easy game to play. Having that little challenge of having to remember the egg description of what you are hunting makes it more interesting.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

This. I would really not like to see this change. To me, that mystery egg is a vital part of the game. At its heart, DC is a very easy game to play. Having that little challenge of having to remember the egg description of what you are hunting makes it more interesting.

Especially if you can easily find them here to look them up whenever. /sarcasm

7 hours ago, olympe said:

Especially if you can easily find them here to look them up whenever. /sarcasm

And risk losing that Xenowyrm or Copper or Zyumorph because you took a minute to go make sure the description was for that rare/uncommon.

Before they were safely burned into my brain, I had that chart on my desktop as a word document. But mostly I find I'd be looking for something specific.,