Paradisiske

ANSWERED:bring back cb prizes

From what i've seen, it's extremely hard to get a Prize offspring from anything other than a holiday or rare dragon. So making them breed like CB golds/silvers would put even more of a hassle on anyone with a Prize, especially CB ones. (imagine trying to breed a gold from gold x common. It's not fun.)

It takes many attempts to get them and even then there's no guarantee. And with the limited amount of CB prizes originally intended for circulation would make it even harder to get 2Gs or 3Gs from them, not to mention prize owners would be swamped for requests.

Of course there's no guarantee that you'll get a prize from a common mate, but in my experience it's been significantly easier than from gold x common for example.

Here's a simpler comparison. I used to work a lot on a lineage with gold x heartseeker and gold x gold in later generations. It actually took a pretty long time to get offspring, even though there were no commons involved. If I breed a prize with a holiday, I generally have a much better chance at getting an egg. And I can count on one hand the times I've bred prize x prize and not gotten an egg.

Yes, I assume TJ did this on purpose so they'd be passed around at a decent rate. So that they wouldn't be extremely rare. So why keep the CBs extremely rare? Last time there was a situation like that, Hollies had to be reintroduced as HMs to even things out.

Also, prize owners were always swamped with requests anyway. wink.gif

Because cbs weren't meant to match the breeding population is the exact reason I personally think they should stay on the rarer side/not drop in the cave but be given through some manner of "earning" (though agree they do, at the very least, need to be made available in some manner...). Unfortunately - and this is a part of the... tense feeling of the thread at times imho - there's not really a good compromise between "cbs were meant to be rare so they should stay rare" and "they breed like commons so cbs should be available as commons" because there's just a fundamental and complete disagreement between the two sides. =x

Yeah I see the issue. I'm definitely not advocating for them being blockers, I just feel like things are too uneven at the moment. My preference is for a method of "earning" them as well, either through events or this store suggestion. I just don't understand the need to keep them at the top rarity tier. Uncommons are still not extremely easy to get on DC with how many breeds we have now.

Edited cause it's late and I repeat words too much.

Edited by MissK.

I was under the impression the reason that prizes bred so well was because they have no cbs in the cave to balance them out. A ratio thing, largely.

And I wholly understand - and agree - with the desire to keep them to some degree of rare. They were released as something ultra-rare, their appearance implies rarity, the description of Shimmerscales outright speaks of rarity if I remember correctly... why should they be a dime a dozen in every biome?

My complaint is that they're not obtainable, and were only ever obtainable by an extremely small pool of people that were selected almost purely by luck (barring the tree contest.) Obtainable but difficult to obtain is the preferred solution in my books. As long as they're something that somebody could achieve with enough time or effort.

My other complaint with prizes is that the way they currently are gives a tiny subset of users a permanent monopoly on highly valuable trading fodder, but any sort of prize rerelease can deal with that. Turning them into commons, though, just seems... oddly spiteful of the concept of prizes. "I don't want them to be anything remotely special anymore." That, or people just really want to be guaranteed them - which kind of misses the point.

I don't really get why the raffles stopped. I'd totally be happy if they came back.However, I think the idea of having either a shimmer or tinsel, every freakin' year, is pretty stale. If they get a release of a few hundred a year, they won't be rare anymore.

Every year, there should be a new raffle with a new breed of prize dragon. Or even every other year. That way, we have something special to look forward to. instead of the same-old same-old.

EDIT: Actually, I definitely see why raffles stopped. Even this thread has devolved into arguing and petty bickering, which is what happened with the prizes also, if I'm remembering correctly. However, why should everyone else's dreams of winning a prize be dashed because a subset of people are incapable of maturity? With prize raffles gone there's really not all that much to look forward to besides every-few-months drops, and the Christmas/holiday games are boring and pointless. A few years ago I played my heart out to earn raffle tickets (or however it worked - I don't remember exactly), and it paid off massively when I got my prize. Without that fun element, what's the point?

Edited by bob_jones

I was under the impression the reason that prizes bred so well was because they have no cbs in the cave to balance them out. A ratio thing, largely.

And I wholly understand - and agree - with the desire to keep them to some degree of rare. They were released as something ultra-rare, their appearance implies rarity, the description of Shimmerscales outright speaks of rarity if I remember correctly... why should they be a dime a dozen in every biome?

My complaint is that they're not obtainable, and were only ever obtainable by an extremely small pool of people that were selected almost purely by luck (barring the tree contest.) Obtainable but difficult to obtain is the preferred solution in my books. As long as they're something that somebody could achieve with enough time or effort.

My other complaint with prizes is that the way they currently are gives a tiny subset of users a permanent monopoly on highly valuable trading fodder, but any sort of prize rerelease can deal with that. Turning them into commons, though, just seems... oddly spiteful of the concept of prizes. "I don't want them to be anything remotely special anymore." That, or people just really want to be guaranteed them - which kind of misses the point.

I must agree with everything you said about the permanent monopoly of the tiny subset of users.

But I must disagree on something else. Turning them into commons, for what I'm concerned, has nothing to do with being spiteful. Let's assume that they start dropping in the biomes as rares. People with fast connections and skills will get them, exactly as they do with CB Metals. Drama and riots will follow. If they drop as commons, everybody and their sister will have a chance. Probably is not the best choice but is better than others.

"Hassle on anyone with a Prize"??? Are you kidding? Someone with a Prize got a license to print DC currency. With zero effort.

Frankly I do not want the  owners of CB Tinsel/Shimmers to be swamped. I want EVERYBODY that plays to be able to get something that a few got, due to dumb luck.

This was in response to why they breed like uncommons, NOT anything to do with the rest.

I don't want them to be "worth a messy hatching" or whatever you think the worth that I'm pinning on them is. I'd like them to be obtainable--not rare.  Regardless of if these things end up in store, the store price is not the same as their trading price or whatever price users value them at  Also, these may be available to 100 percent of users at some point, but not every user will have them.

I happened to be very excited over my first CB silver too. She took me four years of playing to get (and I didn't catch her. I traded for her). Also, I don't think any of the dragons guaranteed after 4 months of store activity.

I don't care if you support the store or not. My question had nothing to do with the store. It had to do with asking why you want them to be rare.

The discussion was why I do not want them IN the store.

I don't care if they become "nearly worthless," but I also never said I want them that way. Do you know how many people play DC? Far too many for these dragons to ever be "nearly worthless." I think the term you want is "priceless" AKA "you can't put a price on them." They become "worthless" when you or someone else stops deciding to trade for them.

Do not assume my intentions, especially considering you don't really seem to understand my point. And let's be honest, how many people are out there trading for 2Gs of Aeons or Coppers? There is a very large difference between "something that is slightly rare and has almost no value outside CB" and "priceless". The term you are looking for is valuable, not priceless.

I don't want them to be "worth a messy hatching" or whatever you think the worth that I'm pinning on them is. I'd like them to be obtainable--not rare.  Regardless of if these things end up in store, the store price is not the same as their trading price or whatever price users value them at  Also, these may be available to 100 percent of users at some point, but not every user will have them.

The reason I want them to be rare is because they ARE rare. How many times do I have to tell you this? My reasoning for wanting them to be rare and obtainable is because they were intended to be rares. They were not created for the purpose of being common.

Being available to 100% is very different than 100% having them. Not everyone HAS a CB silver, but everyone CAN get them. Comparatively, almost everyone has a CB Mint (unless they're new or don't want them, or just cba to get them) and everyone has free access to them with a few drops of hunting.

I happened to be very excited over my first CB silver too. She took me four years of playing to get (and I didn't catch her. I traded for her). Also, I don't think any of the dragons guaranteed after 4 months of store activity.

Taken directly from the store thread.

Prizes (all species, all colors) - 1:0.67 to 1:0.83 (from 4 to 5 months)

EDIT: Actually, I definitely see why raffles stopped. Even this thread has devolved into arguing and petty bickering, which is what happened with the prizes also, if I'm remembering correctly. However, why should everyone else's dreams of winning a prize be dashed because a subset of people are incapable of maturity? With prize raffles gone there's really not all that much to look forward to besides every-few-months drops, and the Christmas/holiday games are boring and pointless. A few years ago I played my heart out to earn raffle tickets (or however it worked - I don't remember exactly), and it paid off massively when I got my prize. Without that fun element, what's the point?

Honestly I really agree. The raffles disappearing was the fault of the users - a "this is why we can't have nice things".

But the flaming and pettiness is getting a bit far, even for my tolerance, just for having an "unpopular opinion". If you even SUGGEST anything SIMILAR to the raffles, around 20 people will immediately pick a fight and tell you about the drama they helped cause.

I'm honestly hitting my limit here. I'm really sick of this thread and the drama you seem so intent on having, so i'm going to go have some sushi and enjoy myself.

Edited by Robot Chimera

A few years ago I played my heart out to earn raffle tickets (or however it worked - I don't remember exactly), and it paid off massively when I got my prize. Without that fun element, what's the point?

And thousands of other users played their hearts out too and got nothing.

Time went by, owners of CB Tinsels/Shimmers got years of benefits and monopoly. Time to change.

Edited by SullenCat

The reason I want them to be rare is because they ARE rare. How many times do I have to tell you this? My reasoning for wanting them to be rare and obtainable is because they were intended to be rares.

Again... you can tell us hundreds of times that they were intended to be rares but there is no reason, looking at the breeding outcome, to take that seriously. Unless you are TJ.

And thousands of other users played their hearts out too and got nothing.

Time went by, owners of CB Tinsels/Shimmers got years of benefits and monopoly. Time to change.

Maybe I'm displaying my Prize Owner Privilege here, but somehow I don't think it's a good idea to get rid of everything special or exclusive just because people who don't win are left out. Or should the site automatically give everyone a free gold dragon just for joining, so they don't feel neglected? The reason rares and prizes are special is because not everyone has one.

I must agree with everything you said about the permanent monopoly of the tiny subset of users.

But I must disagree on something else. Turning them into commons, for what I'm concerned, has nothing to do with being spiteful. Let's assume that they start dropping in the biomes as rares. People with fast connections and skills will get them, exactly as they do with CB Metals. Drama and riots will follow. If they drop as commons, everybody and their sister will have a chance. Probably is not the best choice but is better than others.

I'm starting to think that drama's inevitable no matter what happens, and that includes both the current situation and your proposed 'drop as commons' approach.

But really, the 'only some users are catching them'... that's just the way it is with metallics. At least they still drop. At least you can still catch one, even if it means staying up late and wasting numerous hours of your life. Will it be easier for some people? Yes. And I really don't care. The possibility exists. It's not closed off.

This is a collecting game, but it's also a hunting game. It's not a 'you're-guaranteed-everything' game. I feel like people have lost sight of that.

I'd hope prizes wouldn't be metallic-rare, though. I'd hope they wouldn't drop in the cave at all, but whatever's going to happen is going to happen.

A few years ago I played my heart out to earn raffle tickets (or however it worked - I don't remember exactly), and it paid off massively when I got my prize. Without that fun element, what's the point?

Thing is, most people did the exact same as you did and got nada. I'm not saying I disagree with the core of your statement, but consider that. It was an effort-payout for you, but for the vast majority of users, it wasn't.

However, I agree entirely with the preceding statement.

Actually, I definitely see why raffles stopped. Even this thread has devolved into arguing and petty bickering, which is what happened with the prizes also, if I'm remembering correctly. However, why should everyone else's dreams of winning a prize be dashed because a subset of people are incapable of maturity? With prize raffles gone there's really not all that much to look forward to besides every-few-months drops

And you've hit the head on the nail with even this thread preserving the drama of the raffles. I don't particularly appreciate the prevailing attitude of 'everyone who wants prizes to remain rare is selfish and evil and elitist' in this thread. It's making me not want to post for fear of getting jumped on. And also the reason I'm not touching the 'rerelease cb holiday' threads with a ten-foot pole. Because like Sock said, this does come down to a fundamental disagreement over gameplay aspects, and I don't see people making friends across the aisle anytime soon.

Maybe I'm displaying my Prize Owner Privilege here, but somehow I don't think it's a good idea to get rid of everything special or exclusive just because people who don't win are left out. Or should the site automatically give everyone a free gold dragon just for joining, so they don't feel neglected? The reason rares and prizes are special is because not everyone has one.

So much this.

If everyone can easily get everything, pray tell, what is the point?

Edited by Dianacat777

This is one of those situations where I don't feel the need to add anything since the other person just ensured that everybody understands where they are coming from.

This is one of those situations where I don't feel the need to add anything since the other person just ensured that everybody understands where they are coming from.

I never won a raffle and I agree entirely with what he just said, so try again.

And was that really necessary to post?

Please don't be passive-aggressive. It doesn't help anything. What exactly are you trying to say?

My reasoning for wanting them to be rare and obtainable is because they were intended  to be rares.

The problem, which is the point that I was trying to make with my big post earlier, is that there is no such thing as rare but obtainable, with the assumed 2nd gen trading value that you seem want so badly. Giving one out each year to anyone who finished a holiday event will not make them common, but they won't exactly be rare either because everyone will have one. In the overall scheme of things, there will probably be fewer CB prizes handed out that first year than CB golds exist in the site, but it could very well be more than CB golds dropped that year. And that way of handing them out is about as close to "rare but obtainable" as there can be. Because dropping them in the cave as rares does not make them obtainable, at least not to the average player, and neither does starting up the raffles again without making the giveaways massive.

The trading situation I foresee after the first prizes are earned is people swapping for 2nd gens of the ones they don't have to start building lineages. Since almost everyone would be able to breed a 2nd gen for someone who missed out, either by not earning the prize when they had the chance or joining right after, I don't see any way that that 2nd gen egg would be traded for more than an uncommon. Future trading values would drop further as in future years people get more CB prizes.

You seem to be trying for a perfect balance of preserving 2nd gen trade value and making CB prizes available to everyone. But if they're available to everyone, the 2nd gens won't be worth much. It's simple supply and demand.

And nobody is bashing you. We're trying to understand your position and possibly convince you otherwise.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I know that things haven gotten tense in here and I see some people getting tense again, so let me say...

Honestly, even looking through with really strict mod glasses on, I really haven't seen any rudeness towards each other. What I see is two sides with a disagreement where they're trying to convince each other to agree with their side, which is very different from the other. Nobody's really going for a compromise, and neither side is budging, so of course things are going to get tense. What a great time to go take a break and do something more fun! The discussion looks perfectly fine to me, it's just that nobody wants to back down because it's natural to want to be heard. If you're getting frustrated, just take a break from this thread or even the forum because when we argue when we're frustrated, that's when we're more likely to snip and snipe at each other. If you're feeling tense, upset, frustrated, or angry, go de-stress and come back to this later, okay?

However, I think the idea of having either a shimmer or tinsel, every freakin' year, is pretty stale. If they get a release of a few hundred a year, they won't be rare anymore.

A few hundred a year is a drop in the bucket- you have no concept of just how many users this site has. There's 78,000 on the forum alone- a few hundred isn't even 1% of the users here, let alone on the whole site.

I'm not arguing with anybody personally, I just think the raffles were a bad idea to being with. If the Prize dragons couldn't breed it would have been one thing, but because they can and only a microscopic percentage of people own them, demand for second gens way outstrips supply. Their rarity is artificial.

If everyone could earn one of each, they would still be rare, and would still be traded for lineage projects, but it would also be fair. A few people having the keys to the kingdom is not fair, and as someone who has only caught one CB Silver in 7-8 years I'm not about to be able to have enough rares on hand to trade for a second gen otherwise.

Please don't be passive-aggressive.

Unless you got a PsyD at 18 and I'm your patient, you have no idea what you are talking about. Please refrain.

Despite my comments about wanting to topple the Shimmers and Tinsels from the place they sit in the trade threads, I definitely don't hold any ill will toward prize owners. If I'd been lucky enough to win one of course I would take advantage of that very same trade advantage, because I could. I would be lying if I said otherwise. You guys were very lucky and pf course I'm jealous of your luck, but not resentful of it.

But do you see that's exactly why I want one? Not to take advantage of the trade threads, because I imagine that if I am ever lucky enough to get one, then the trade value will be greatly diminished if not gone. No, I want one--several ones, actually--because as others have said, this is a collecting game and my person scroll goals dictate that I get 10 CBs of each dragon sprite if possible. Does that mean I value them any less? Goodness no. I would treasue each and every Shimmer and Tinsel on my scroll, no matter how easy they were to get. The long hard slog getting the darn things just annoys me rather than making me appreciate them more, which might surprise some of you but I am a creature of instant gratification, I admit it.

Plus having every dragon I want on my scroll would make new releases much easier to keep up with xd.png

A few hundred a year is a drop in the bucket- you have no concept of just how many users this site has. There's 78,000 on the forum alone- a few hundred isn't even 1% of the users here, let alone on the whole site.

I would just like to add that none of us can really say anything about numbers except TJ. Just because 78k people have joined the forum doesn't mean they are all still active. ETA: Not only does that number include inactive users, it also includes spammers who join the forum! Using the full number of registered forum users really isn't helpful to judging how many people are active on the cave. xP

Unless you got a PsyD at 18 and I'm your patient, you have no idea what you are talking about. Please refrain.

Then please explain what the heck your post meant because I'll be the third person to say your post was vague and confusing but I definitely got a sarcastic tone from it. If you don't want to explain, that's fine, but please don't drag us off-topic. Prize owners are allowed an opinion - even if you disagree with it.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Despite my comments about wanting to topple the Shimmers and Tinsels from the place they sit in the trade threads, I definitely don't hold any ill will toward prize owners. If I'd been lucky enough to win one of course I would take advantage of that very same trade advantage, because I could. I would be lying if I said otherwise. You guys were very lucky and pf course I'm jealous of your luck, but not resentful of it.

But do you see that's exactly why I want one? Not to take advantage of the trade threads, because I imagine that if I am ever lucky enough to get one, then the trade value will be greatly diminished if not gone. No, I want one--several ones, actually--because as others have said, this is a collecting game and my person scroll goals dictate that I get 10 CBs of each dragon sprite if possible. Does that mean I value them any less? Goodness no. I would treasue each and every Shimmer and Tinsel on my scroll, no matter how easy they were to get. The long hard slog getting the darn things just annoys me rather than making me appreciate them more, which might surprise some of you but I am a creature of instant gratification, I admit it.

Plus having every dragon I want on my scroll would make new releases much easier to keep up with xd.png

I've no problems with prize owners either. I traded with several and, with rare exceptions that I assume responsibility for (for example, trusting IOUs) the experience was positive.

But I collect CBs. 2Gs are nothing but an alternative that I must accept when I can't do otherwise. That's why I would want a chance to get CBs of Tinsel, Shimmers, Hollies and Holidays. Not for trade-related reasons.

I would just like to add that none of us can really say anything about numbers except TJ. Just because 78k people have joined the forum doesn't mean they are all still active

A day ago I did actually go through and count how many registered users on the forums had 10 posts or less- that was about 58000.

But even so, 1% of the 'more active' 20000 is still in the low hundreds. But point I was making by that is the activity on here isn't a good indication of anything, and that it's not a useful nunber since forum registration isn't mandatory.

And what Sullen said. I also collect a certain amount of dragons I like, and tend to like to make my own themed lineages- you can't tell other people you trade with what to name the parents.

You're still failing to address his argument beyond snipes and jabs, which a non-prize-owner has supported, so clearly there is some merit to it beyond 'I got a prize so I want them to stay rare, nyah."

Let me bring up a little anecdote. There was an MMO I played for a few years, one where becoming a remotely competitive player was a tedious slog and cash-shoppers had an insane advantage over free-to-play users in that regard. You could max your level and still be pitifully weak compared to people that shelled out loads of money for the game itself. You could still get the things they got, but it took a mad amount of grinding to do so. You could never catch up with them, feasibly, even with the slow rate new content was released. Getting the amount of boosts embedded in your armor and weapon took an ungodly amount of in-game currency and was compounded by a huge failure rate that could outright destroy your items unless you had (cash shop) item protection.

Anyway, somebody went and copied the game's code and created a private server. And in this server, you basically had root access to the system. All those rare and impossible to get things - you could instantly give it to yourself. Create the character of your dreams, built in a heartbeat. No money or effort required - just start out with exactly what you wanted, if that's what you wanted to do. Equal playing field for everyone.

Invites were sent out, and soon, all the cool and famous users were playing on this private server. Word got out, people found the server, more joined until it was at the limits of its capacity. This private server was really popular to play for... about two weeks, before people completely lost interest in it. In the end, all anyone used it for was to test out maxed character builds they were going to strive for in the real game.

Because it turns out, having absolutely no challenge to a game, having nothing to strive for, being able to immediately get anything you want? Really isn't all that fun or interesting. The mainstay of the game was hardly perfect, as unbalanced and grindy as it was, but it was a hell of a lot more fun for everyone than the little microcosm where everyone could instantly become as special and accomplished as they wanted to be.

And the moral of this story is the reason why I want some things to stay hard to get.

The problem as I see it here is that different users have different ideas of what constitutes the point, or challenge, of Dragon Cave. To some, it's lineage-building, and these people seem to primarily want prizes to become some degree of common. To some, it's scroll completion and obtaining rare dragons, and those generally want them to stay rare.

Edited by Dianacat777

I'm with silver_chan and SullenCat here. No ill will towards prize owners. I would just like to have access to CB shimmers and tinsels to complete my own scroll goals and to work on my own lineages.

I'm not arguing with anybody personally, I just think the raffles were a bad idea to being with. If the Prize dragons couldn't breed it would have been one thing, but because they can and only a microscopic percentage of people own them, demand for second gens way outstrips supply. Their rarity is artificial.

If everyone could earn one of each, they would still be rare, and would still be traded for lineage projects, but it would also be fair. A few people having the keys to the kingdom is not fair, and as someone who has only caught one CB Silver in 7-8 years I'm not about to be able to have enough rares on hand to trade for a second gen otherwise.

Thank you for that slightly patronizing response, but I don't think you have a concept of the massive popularity of these dragons. They practically exist for breeding.

Let's break down the numbers. A few hundred prizes, breeding once a week, producing one shimmer approximately every, let's say, four weeks... That's 13 shimmer offspring, per dragon, per year. Let's say 250 dragons (rough estimate - couldn't find an exact count) are given out. Let's say 200 of those are bred regularly, since some will inevitably be given to users who are inactive or couldn't care less. Two hundred x thirteen = 2600.

Let's imagine about 2000 of those are bred as often as their parents. In a year, they could produce 26000 offspring. And it just keeps growing exponentially from there until it's in the millions. And that's estimating conservatively.

So, yeah, I think my statement that different prizes should be given out each year to preserve rarity might still stand.

A day ago I did actually go through and count how many registered users on the forums had 10 posts or less- that was about 58000.

But even so, 1% of the 'more active' 20000 is still in the low hundreds. But point I was making by that is the activity on here isn't a good indication of anything, and that it's not a useful nunber since forum registration isn't mandatory.

My point really is that we have no clue, even based on forum numbers, how many active users there are on DC. The only way I can think of to estimate is use the stats from the tree decorating contest, where 24k trees were decorated. I think we can assume that the majority of users who were active participated in the event, so that number was close to the amount of active users there were, but that was five years ago now, and we don't really have a way to judge if activity has dropped, stayed steady, or risen since then.

Sooooo... Let's just none of us focus on trying to pinpoint numbers. If you wanted to say something like "1 in 100 users should get a prize every year" or whatever some kinda general stat, I suppose that would be fine. But sitting here trying to pinpoint any kind of reasonable numbers (whether a number on how many prizes should be given out or the number of active users) doesn't seem too conducive to the topic. =p I just don't want to see us get bogged down in something like this when it's really beside the point. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

My definition of scroll completion is currently impossible- that would be, 1 CB (or two if gender differences) of every breed.

Putting everyone on a level playing field will not remove the challenge of the game, it will just make it possible. The problem with your server example is they removed all of the mechanics of the game.

If Prizes are made obtainable you're still going to have to earn it in some way- you won't just be handed a fully grown, matching set.

Edit, and ah, if our only usable number from the main stie itself is 5 years old, yeah.. not going to get anything useful out of that.

Edited by Dragon_Arbock