spatio

ANSWERED:Vampire Sprite Update

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Some wing options! I personally prefer option 1 and 2.

I also slightly edited the elbow strut, but it's not that much of a difference.

+Oh but shouldn't the last wing finger(the most outward one) be longer than the second(excluding the elbow strut) wing finger? I didn't know the wing was folded at firsr because of their lengths.

Edited by SkyWolf25

I actually think that number 2 is the least realistic of the shown options. That topline lacks any indication of wing finger joints that should be visible. Such thin bones are unlikely to be ramrod straight, but they're still going to bulge at the knuckle and be more linear than a smooth curve. Of those, 1 and 4 look the most natural.

I prefer 4 myself. Yes a straight line is there but its not as obvious as it was before.

I actually think that number 2 is the least realistic of the shown options. That topline lacks any indication of wing finger joints that should be visible. Such thin bones are unlikely to be ramrod straight, but they're still going to bulge at the knuckle and be more linear than a smooth curve. Of those, 1 and 4 look the most natural.

Yep, that's why I made 2 first and then made option 1. I just personally like 2 because after I finished them I was like yay smoothest curves >w< Realistically speaking, 1 is my favourite.

I prefer 4. Straight-ish lines where they should be, plus hints of finger joints. Both good points. What makes 4 better than 1 and 2 is the fact that we see at least a hint of the membrane belonging to the far wing. With 1 and 2, we only see a bit of a far wing finger, which looks like the wing finger of the near wing is oddly thick at the base.

I agree that option #4 looks the best. The joints on the others seem too rounded? Idk.

#4 there is pretty much what I was thinking though seeing them lined up like that I'm tempted to say #1 looks best.

Option four is my fave for showing more of the far wing and making it CLEAR its a far wing. Also the straighter lines make it look more natural though my abstract side likes the smooth curves of 2 even if its not as natural. I support #4 though. :3

From these four, definitely 4th, the rest has exactly what I wanted to avoid at all cost - the unargueable impression of no joints and an impossibly bent bone... so yeah, 4th.

Edited by VixenDra

I backed to the 'straight line' sprite and re-tried following the direction SkyWolf25 took, I also tried to do sth to the back wing's 'fingertips':

user posted image[link]

looks pretty alike to option 4 I must admit:

user posted image (Skywolf25's edit)

It's a matter of very few pixels of difference actually; well, which top 'finger' should be the final? smile.gif Would be nice if those artists who wanted to give a go at shading could start shading soon (right after I remove the extras to make a female)^^

Edited by VixenDra

I prefer the first! The back wing doesn't look broken anymore.

(I made option 4 first so I forgot to try editing them after I made the other options. xP)

Awesome! When I get a chance I'll start shading it! (Might do it tonight 'cause shading white gives me a headache so my wip fem sprite is looking like a pain rn haha)

The male and female don't need different shading. One is just a modified recolor of the other. I don't understand why so many people are acting like they need to each be separately shaded from scratch (or even need separate drawings).

In fact, it's probably better to shade the female and then apply the male's coloring and markings (or shade in completely different colors and then apply the colors and markings to make the male and female). It can be difficult to shade markings without making the shading somewhat strange between the areas due to working with different colors. (not that it can't be done, but I'd hate to see the non marked female colors applied to the male sprite, only to find that the shading is wonky)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Ok, so the top one of the two then, I just needed to add 2 pixels to one of the wing fingers as relocolong into the female I just noticed I missed 2 pixels by accident^^;

So here are the final(as there's been no more crits about anything for a while already) male and female flats(outline colours are just for legibility; inner anatomy outlines are just suggestions followign my sketch):

user posted image[link] user posted image[link]

From now on anyone is permitted to do their own shading attempts for these 2 - the more the merrier(I mean the more to choose from) as shadings can be done SO DIFFERENTLY ^^

edit: I backed the permission for now because I still need to do some improvements to the lines and there is no point shading and copying the edits to it. I'm sorry for the inconvenience!

Edited by VixenDra

Just something minor - the tail seems to have a couple of oddly straight lines, and the connection to the end of the body seems off somehow. I don't really know how to explain it better. Would it be okay if I sent you a slightly different version of the tail lines?

(And before you ask why I haven't said anything before - it's not quite as obvious on the male, due to the white ventral coloring. The mono-colored female shows it in a more obvious way.)

Edited by olympe

I see what you mean about the tail, and it should definitely be fixed. (and I agree that it's much less noticeable on the male)

Basically the tail curve is made up of a lot of straight lines at different angles. It could be fixed by blending the angle where they meet. (I can do it a lot easier than I can describe how to do it, sorry)

Ok, I see what you mean, let's see if I can deal with it or I'll indeed need an actual spriting aid^^

a quick try (I'm going to sleep right now, I can't spend more on this at the very moment):

does it need much more changes to the tail positioning(/general curve)?

user posted image[link]

and a little reveal of the anatomy idea behind that tail going up(is that what looked weird?)

user posted image[link]

the orange line marks the crotch, the red marks where the dragon's 'butt' is:P but it's my general anatomy idea of a dragon and these vary, so I'll definitely understand if you'd prefer a different anatomy to this part.

I think what's bothering me, now that Olympe said something, is that the tail abruptly narrows right behind the back leg. I tend to base dragons' behinds on theropods, so the tail only gets thicker towards the body. I don't really have any tech at the moment but here's a quick tail edit (I erased the spine/wing hard line so I could see overall shape better, sorry)

(why is this post not letting me add attachments?)

user posted image

I really like the edited version - with Spatio's base-of-tail edit. (Although I'd probably shorten the first line of pixels on the outline by one pixel and elongate the second line by that same pixel to smooth out the line.)

user posted image

But I haven't given permission to line edits:( Just for shading the final version of the flats I make, with possible slight single pixel edits for the particular shading if it's bothering hte given shader during the process but I'd like to keep the flats-flats that are available for shading to anyone done all by myself^^;

I'd like to try having the flats done just by myself I think, with help of critique as I may have trouble seing some things myself.

my own edits (addressing a few of ther areas too):

user posted image[link]/user posted image[link]

following more of the dinosaur way, can remove that lower pixel though if you say it doesn't look fine and it would be better without the tail shaped like this

(Spatio, I'm constantly working on my own sprites SkyWolf didn't touch - I've done the similar wing edit independently, you hurried with updating the OP back then^^; )

Edited by VixenDra

Your fixed edit looks pretty good, fixed most of the issues I saw with it. About the only thing left that's really bugging me is there's a straight bit on the outer curve relatively near the rear end of the dragon that really could use more curve to it. The way it is right now especially makes a bit of a thickness consistency problem.

@VixenDra: My apologies! I can be a bit too hands-on sometimes as I'm not too good at explaining what I mean with words. TTuTT And I will update the first post asap~