spatio

ANSWERED:Vampire Sprite Update

But I haven't given permission to line edits:( Just for shading the final version of the flats I make, with possible slight single pixel edits for the particular shading if it's bothering hte given shader during the process but I'd like to keep the flats-flats that are available for shading to anyone done all by myself^^;

I'd like to try having the flats done just by myself I think, with help of critique as I may have trouble seing some things myself.

my own edits (addressing a few of ther areas too):

user posted image[link]/user posted image[link]

following more of the dinosaur way, can remove that lower pixel though if you say it doesn't look fine and it would be better without the tail shaped like this

(Spatio, I'm constantly working on my own sprites SkyWolf didn't touch - I've done the similar wing edit independently, you hurried with updating the OP back then^^; )

I actually like the one on the right better. It's an unusual design for DC - or so it seems - but it works for this sprite. (Dinosaur anatomy for the win! wink.gif )

-

Edited by SkyWolf25
not relevant anymore

Your fixed edit looks pretty good, fixed most of the issues I saw with it.  About the only thing left that's really bugging me is there's a straight bit on the outer curve relatively near the rear end of the dragon that really could use more curve to it.  The way it is right now especially makes a bit of a thickness consistency problem.

Is the tail curve better/good now? (for now the inner paler line needs to be ignored, I see it got a different angle relating to the tail's top outline, I'll fix it once the tail curve ir confirmed good:P)

user posted image[link]

and I think one more needed improvement in the tail(behid the near foot):

user posted image[link]

Edited by VixenDra

The latest looks really good to me.

(the inner line adjusted to the new shape, 2 pixels femoved from wing fingers, they were adding too much of a square in there, with the female's light colours)

user posted image[link]

Is there something else I should try to fix/improve?

Might have been asked before, but if this goes successfully would the spriters of the new vampire dragon consider working with the vampire expansion thread? Like with the zombies - expansions only really work if the same spriters do every version.

I went on to working on flats for S1:

user posted image[link]

with the far limbs added:

user posted image<a href='http://orig08.deviantart.net/7169/f/2016/236/6/4/vampire_s1_wip_by_vixendra-daf5jg6.png[llink' target='_blank'></a>

That s1 looks great! It definitely looks more anatomically correct than the existing one.

(Just an FYI: HTML doesn't work on the forum. You need to use BBCode.)

And the first version of the S2:

user posted image[link]

Crit, please:)

(please notice this is pretty wide already, it can't probably go even a pixel wider)

Edited by VixenDra

I wanted this to happen the first time I saw Vampire dragons-- they just don't live (heh) up to current DC sprite standards.

I have a question, though. I may be ill-informed, but something dead can still have an age.

@VixenDra: maybe arch the neck a bit more, so the tail can look less cramped? I rather like the pose the original hatchlings have where it looks like they're coughing/sick. I think the ribcage could be a bit thicker as well. Looks great overall tho!

@Deblob: If you're referencing the whole "vampires shouldn't show their age" thing, I was referencing how in most film/literature vampires appear to be in their 20s/30s but are actually hundreds of years old etc. x)

user posted image[link]

(please notice this is pretty wide already, it can't probably go even a pixel wider)

Do you think you could change the head to look upward like a howling wolf? Or, uh, like your avatar? xd.png That could give you some space.

user posted image[link]

I think it'll be better if the head was pulled a bit in and the hind legs were more crouched down, like the original. It looks a bit unbalanced rn.

better?

user posted image

if yes, what else?

I'd rather avoid the howling position for 2 reasons:

it'd be much different from the in-cave pose

I'm aftaid the horns may go into conflict with the wing/s

(it's a vixen though! xd.png but yeah, made out of a wolf drawing for me<3)

Edited by VixenDra

user posted image

and S2 male:

user posted image ->user posted image(+tail spikes)

Should I work on anything else with the flat set I made? or I can give a green light for artists to do their shadings?

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

BTW do we even need a new egg too?

Edited by VixenDra

I'll update the first post! Do you want me to note that anyone can submit a shading attempt?

I think that if someone shades the sprite set they should also reshade the egg, just so each set has a uniform style. If you wouldn't mind making a flat egg sprite for your set, Vixen, I'll put it with the rest. The egg doesn't need a design update or anything I just think if differing styles of shading are used in the adults than the egg, it'll look a bit funky.

I'll update the first post! Do you want me to note that anyone can submit a shading attempt?

I think that if someone shades the sprite set they should also reshade the egg, just so each set has a uniform style. If you wouldn't mind making a flat egg sprite for your set, Vixen, I'll put it with the rest. The egg doesn't need a design update or anything I just think if differing styles of shading are used in the adults than the egg, it'll look a bit funky.

I just updated the male with tail spikes, I forgot about them xd.png

well, if there's nothing else I should fix, then yes, you can add that note that it's open for shading for anyone who wishes to try:)

Yeah, the different colours that may be used for shading was what was bothering me...

I'll go with the egg, I'm just nto sure if can I reference very heavily from the original? I'm just worried that if I happen to redo the pattern on it pixel to pixel same as the original it would be a problem, I need to know If I should even try to keep it identical pr better not xd.png

Edited by VixenDra

As far as I'm aware the vampire egg uses the default egg shading featured on the majority of the eggs on-site. I don't believe that it needs to be redone for the sake of matching the adult shading.

I meant the colours used for shading the sprites may end up somehow different from those used for the egg, in such case the colours of the egg shading would probably need to change to match the dragon sprites? Or not?

Well, just in case, I think it may be useful if there was the marking done again, to be 'pasted' onto the defualt egg with more fitting shading colours?

Ok, so I made this 'just in case if the shading colours end up unmatching' new egg flats:

user posted image

and just the marking on with transparent surrounding:

user posted image

(I used the same dark red as for the wing's markings; can be changed to the paler red from the horns' filling)

Though there's nothing wrong with the original egg, if the shading colours end up different, the egg should probably share shading colours with the adult male's shading? unless we MAY tweak the original egg sprite like this?

Edited by VixenDra

I have not heard back from the original spriters, and it has not yet been 30 days, so edits using the original art is not yet allowed. I'll post your flat colored version of the egg and note that anyone may shade them. smile.gif

//and hopefully finish my set this millenia but my petrology class I fear will rob me of that luxury some know as "free time" :'D

The hatchies still don't look like they're crouched down to me, unless that's intentional?

And I don't think we need an egg reshade, I think it'll be best if the adult's shading colours are picked from the original sprites.