Pixxelation

Holiday Rereleases

Implement the shop and unlimited CBs of Holidays in it then. All problems solved, no playstyles, skills and goals discriminated.

Works perfectly well e.g. in Tales of Ostlea, the only thing standing on the way for this on DC is the attitude...

Edited by VixenDra

Valentine and Christmas dragons that should have limit of 2 CBs per scroll still - Valentine 09, Rosebud, Heartseeker, Arsani, Radiant Angel, Heartstealing, Mutamore, Soulstone; Yulebuck, Ribbon Dancer, Winter Magis, Wrapping Wing, Snow

Valentine and Christmas dragons that should have limit of 4 CBs per scroll - Sweetling (2 Pinks, 2 Blacks), Holly (2 Males, 2 Females), *Solstice (2 Colored, 2 Pale), *Mistletoe (2 Males, 2 Females), Aegis (2 Pacified, 2 Enraged)

* If chosen to make the other sprite version/gender CB

Christmas dragons that should have limit of 6 CBs per scroll - Snow Angel (2 White, 2 Gold, 2 tri-colored)

And Halloweens ~ as much as the scroll limit allows you to get ☺

I don't actually agree with trying to split them up like this - but there will never be CB black sweetlings again, nor should there be. Erasing history is Not OK. and they came about on one day, end of. And I speak as one who wishes she had got them. I still feel very strongly that they need to remain as they are for CB, though I could live with black hatchlings staying black when teleported to a pink scroll. The black holding up after hatching in the same way as influence only holds up after hatching.

I do not think upping the number of CBs to cover variations is OK, either. 2 CB snow angels is - 2 CB snow angels. I'd like all holidays upped to 4 CBs if we ever get CB old holidays, but not complex mechanisms like this suggestion. Nor do I live in hope that single sex holidays will stop being single sex. It's a mechanic that has worked fine for years; there's nothing wrong with it smile.gif So hit me !

And Hallowe'ens already are unlimited.

Implement the shop and unlimited CBs of Holidays in it then. All problems solved, no playstyles, skills and goals discriminated.

Works perfectly well e.g. in Tales of Ostlea, the only thing standing on the way for this on DC is the attitude...

If I wanted to play Tales of Ostlea I would. There is nothing wrong with a game being different from other games.

Edited by fuzzbucket

If I wanted to play Tales of Ostlea I would. There is nothing wrong with a game being different from other games.

That was NOT the point.

It's a mechanic that has worked fine for years; there's nothing wrong with it

I beg to differ. It hasn't for variety of players.

Edited by VixenDra

Valentine and Christmas dragons that should have limit of 2 CBs per scroll still - Valentine 09, Rosebud, Heartseeker, Arsani, Radiant Angel, Heartstealing, Mutamore, Soulstone; Yulebuck, Ribbon Dancer, Winter Magis, Wrapping Wing, Snow

Valentine and Christmas dragons that should have limit of 4 CBs per scroll - Sweetling (2 Pinks, 2 Blacks), Holly (2 Males, 2 Females), *Solstice (2 Colored, 2 Pale), *Mistletoe (2 Males, 2 Females), Aegis (2 Pacified, 2 Enraged)

* If chosen to make the other sprite version/gender CB

Christmas dragons that should have limit of 6 CBs per scroll - Snow Angel (2 White, 2 Gold, 2 tri-colored)

This seems really convoluted. I don't think we should implement new limits on the different holidays. If holidays were rereleased, I'd be in favor of increasing the overall limit to 4 CBs, but I don't think changing it so much is necessary.

I don't understand why some players who are active now can't think about the future for a moment... If old Holidays and all variations don't get re-released at some point there won't be any to get 2nd gen offsprings from at some point.

Old players who own them will leave/stop playing and last but not least as cruel as the life is die in real life with no one to access their scroll.

How will you get 2nd gens from Black Sweetlings or direct offsrping from 2008 Vamps then?

I only listed Mistletoes for 2v2 gender because we have both genders of CB Hollies thanks to raffles and the Spriter of Mistletoes said she created them to correspond to Hollies.

For other same sprite different variations I'm open minded.

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

I still feel the mechanic is fine as is since it rewards players active during the time.

I was inactive for 6 years but honestly, too bad for me. It's what I get for leaving.

The system we currently have serves a certain purpose-- you can't have your cake and eat it too. Holiday dragons are desireable not only because they're pretty, but also because if their rarity. Take away their rarity and you have a dozen dragons that appear every year in the cave and then what. The new releases (and old) would be undervalued and the bred holiday dragons would likely just die.

I know it's not suited to everyone's playstyle, but a person's playstyle should be dictated by the game they play. Not the other way around.

Althought in the future I wouldn't mind the xmas/valentine limit to go up to 4CBs.

If this were to be implemented, I would prefer Mistletoe CBs remain female-only (note that I have not talked about this with Tiki, so it is possible this may change, but that is my current stance).

As for the 2 CBs-per-year idea, that is one that has been shot down by TJ before, and is not one that this thread exists to entertain. This suggestion is about increasing accessibility to CB holidays to account for decreasing numbers of older players alongside the steady influx of new players, and is not about finding a way for people to hoard CB holidays.

If this were to be implemented, I would prefer Mistletoe CBs remain female-only (note that I have not talked about this with Tiki, so it is possible this may change, but that is my current stance).

As for the 2 CBs-per-year idea, that is one that has been shot down by TJ before, and is not one that this thread exists to entertain. This suggestion is about increasing accessibility to CB holidays to account for decreasing numbers of older players alongside the steady influx of new players, and is not about finding a way for people to hoard CB holidays.

I like your attitude about this better. Thanks for clearing things up purpose-wise. thumbs_up.png

What if the holidays a decade apart from the new ones (eg. 2018 and 2008) dropped along side eachother?

Edited by irrelevantindigo

I still feel the mechanic is fine as is since it rewards players active during the time.

I was inactive for 6 years but honestly, too bad for me. It's what I get for leaving.

Old members do still have an advantage, though, in that they don't have to worry about getting old CBs -- getting every breed was very easy for them.

If people can only obtain re-released CB holidays during the breeding week, new players have to juggle bred holiday spots and that year's release and collecting CBs for the years they missed. That's a lot, especially for new people who might have fewer egg slots. By choosing to hunt for re-releases, they'd be sacrificing precious egg slots that could be used for lineage projects they only get the chance to work on once a year.

Agreed. Simple is best.

The system we currently have serves a certain purpose-- you can't have your cake and eat it too.

It also discriminates new players and makes it less desirable to even join this game in such case, or at least to stay once the new players find out how much they are disregarded while coming to undersand how much CBs matter. It's really discouraging and feels like the game makers didn't care for their playerbase to grow and were focusing on old/veteran ones only by providing them and only them with exclusive stuff, which kinda still feels true to some extend despite some of the rather current changes, but we'll see...

To get rewarded for being active we have the badges and if you're not there you have to wait to get any sprite of the new breed at all.

Edited by VixenDra

CBs are not that important to a LOT of players actually.

CB holidays aren't worth anything - unless you happen to have a CB holly or CB alt sweetling. Or a spriter's alt, but that's an entirely different thing altogether. Everything else can easily be traded for. (Sure, 2nd gen golds/silvers from holidays are a little harder to get, as they're a PITA to breed in the first place - but that doesn't have anything to do with them being holiday kin.) Truth to be told, many of us are willing to breed our CB holidays for free, me included. There's a whole gifting thread about holiday kin. And 2nd gen holidays aren't that hard to get during their respective season, either. (And even then, I'd breed most of my holiday dragons on request.)

And, regarding badges: They were a later addition to the game, going back as far as 2010. Exclusive holiday dragons have been there since December 2007.

I still think rereleasing 1 old holiday dragon along side the holiday releases would really help with the issue at hand: old players becoming inactive and old holiday dragons becoming inaccessable.

Being able to get all the holiday CBs is trivial compared to the long term issue of dragons ceasing to be in circulation that Pie brought up.

It also discriminates new players and makes it less desirable to even join this game in such case, or at least to stay once the new players find out how much they are disregarded while coming to undersand how much CBs matter.

I disagree with this. I missed the Arsanis, Black Marrows, Cavern Lurkers, Desipises, Graves, Heartstealers, Heartseekers, Mistletoes, Radiant Angels, Ribbon Dancers, Rosebuds, Pumpkins, Shadow Walkers, Snow Angels, Solstices, Sweetlings, Winter Magis, Wrapping Wings, and Yulebucks. That's a lot of CB holidays to miss. I've been here for two years now and plan to stick around for a while despite how few CB holidays I have. I doubt that I'm the only one.

However, I can see how having fewer older CB holidays could make continuing lineages harder and affect the trade value of 2Gs.

No support from me, for the many reasons already stated. Just want to put my vote up here.

If you were not here for an event, you don't get the exclusive Dragon. IRL doesn't work like that, many other video games don't work like that. That's how it is. Heck, I even missed one Holiday. It sucks, but I wasn't here. So I moved on.

No support from me, for the many reasons already stated. Just want to put my vote up here.

If you were not here for an event, you don't get the exclusive Dragon. IRL doesn't work like that, many other video games don't work like that. That's how it is. Heck, I even missed one Holiday. It sucks, but I wasn't here. So I moved on.

I don't think this was the goal of the thread.

This suggestion is about increasing accessibility to CB holidays to account for decreasing numbers of older players alongside the steady influx of new players, and is not about finding a way for people to hoard CB holidays.

I think if that's the true purpose of this thread, derailing it would really hinder it's purpose of addressing a real issue and having something done about it.

To be honest, people can not support this all they want. But the issue with older players leaving is really going to continue putting pressure on holiday re-releases. It's pretty much inevitable that holidays are going to have to be re-released.

We can't focus the points of people who have a strong, childish desire to feel special. We can't focus on the points of people who want to say "suck it up, new players" as they attempt to establishing a little elitist group of older players. People who don't support this don't seem to understand that the decreasing amount of older players with CB holidays is an actual problem that will only get worse as time goes on. And naturally, we find solutions to problems.

Edited by Ultra

Agreed. And that increased accessibility could be achieved while sticking to the 2 CBs limit.

I don't understand why some players who are active now can't think about the future for a moment... If old Holidays and all variations don't get re-released at some point there won't be any to get 2nd gen offsprings from at some point.

Old players who own them will leave/stop playing and last but not least as cruel as the life is die in real life with no one to access their scroll.

How will you get 2nd gens from Black Sweetlings or direct offsrping from 2008 Vamps then?

I only listed Mistletoes for 2v2 gender because we have both genders of CB Hollies thanks to raffles and the Spriter of Mistletoes said she created them to correspond to Hollies.

For other same sprite different variations I'm open minded.

As people with black Sweetlings leave or die, then the dragon will disappear. It wasn't meant to be a release. It was meant to be the Spriter's alt and was graciously given up as an apology. I don't feel that should ever be released again because of the conditions surrounding it.

As far as not being about to get offspring directly from original vampires, I don't see why that should be an issue. Vamps are in no short supply and I seriously doubt they ever will be. Since they aren't capable of being worked into standard lineages, I don't see a reason for their re-release.

I would like to see old breeds re-released to the tune of one or two a year along side the new release and have the breeds swap out over time. That way everyone would get a chance at what they missed and CB's will remain in the population. However, I don't see a reason to raise the 2 CB limits.

While I support potentially breeding black sweets for non-black scrolls, I have to agree on never re-releasing cb black sweets.

Honestly, the longer DC goes on and the more holidays we go through, I would find some store-like way of obtaining cb holidays (during their holiday) much less messy than re-releasing them in cave during their holiday. (And I'm not even a huge fan of the store. D| )

I think the store would be an ideal answer since it gives everyone an equal opportunity to earn what they desire, but I've seen many against it.

I wholeheartedly agree with Sir Barton. Store is ideal, because it's your choice which holiday(s) you get and which you don't. It would also be a blessing for those people who froze a Cb holiday hatchling way back when there was the ultimate limit of 2/scroll in effect.

I'm not too fond of in-cave re-releases, mostly because I still see issues with Halloweens and their no-limit policy. If that can be addressed in some manner, then I'm fine with it.

Another issue of in-cave re-releases is the question of rarity. Just how rare/common are those old holidays supposed to be? Super-common, common, uncommon, rare? This ties in with another issue that needs to be agreed upon: Just when should the re-release happen? During the holiday release? (Pro: Works amazingly well for Halloween, as egg limits are always in place. Con: The old eggs will have the potential to drown out the new eggs, or vice versa. Maybe spread the various breeds over different biomes?) During the breeding period? (Pro: Players have to decide whether they prefer new CB eggs or lineaged eggs. Con: Quite a few players might not breed their gorgeous lineages any more...) Directly following the new holiday release => 2-3 days new holiday release, followed by 2 - 3 days of the re-release? (Pro: We can have our cake and eat it. Con: What about the players who are not into the holiday breeds? Many of them already have nothing to do during the breeding week, the new release and for several days thereafter.)

Overall, I think that an in-cave re-release has the potential to cause way more issues than it solves. Which is why I'm strongly in favor of the store. Alternately, allowing every player to pick one old holiday dragon per holiday, regardless of any limits, if they participate in the event (like Sock's storyline suggestion, really) is also a very nice idea that will give newer players a chance to catch up, albeit slowly. I could even see the appeal of allowing players to choose a pair of old release dragons for Halloween, as those always come in both genders, and most breeds are dimorphic. Third option would be a lottery, similar to the current prize lotteries. So, we'd either have 3 extra lotteries for old holidays (pick your favorite), or we'd have to replace 3 prize lotteries with old holiday lotteries. (However, we'd need many more "prizes" for those than for the actual prize lotteries to have a noticeable effect.)

I still feel my suggestion of rereleasing holidays that are a decade apart from the current year's release simultaneously is currently the simplest suggested solution so far. (eg. xmas 2017 and 2007 drop together.) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It will allow the oldest holidays to reenter circulation without totally messing with the site and its current mechanisms.

Especially with the current 2CB limit-- that's only 4 dragons and even the newest of players could potentially catch those.

It's also quite a good year to consider such a thing.

That might work for now, but what happens in another decade, when we'll see the new Winter holiday release, the Holly re-re-release and the Winter 2017 re-release? That would be 6 eggs - 2 more than a new player can catch.