Avalerion

Twins, Triplets, Quadruptles & More?!

Hello, Avalerion here. I was brainstorming ideas for a topic to create in the suggestions post and then I thought of this and when I did a search to see if this idea had been put forward previously, I couldn't find much on the topic. My idea is that we add a rare chance for multiple eggs to be laid when breeding dragons.

Many people may say that this is quite overpowered but I think it could work very efficiently if it done in just the right way. I think it would work best if the chances of having twin dragons increases depending on whether you have a bronze, silver or gold trophy etc.

[No Trophy]

Probability of twins - 1/100

Probability of triplets - 1/250

Probability of quadruplets - 1/500

user posted image

[bronze]

Probability of twins - 1/75

Probability of triplets - 1/100

Probability of quadruplets - 1/250

user posted image

[silver Trophy]

Probability of twins - 1/50

Probability of triplets - 1/75

Probability of quadruplets - 1/100

user posted image

[Gold Trophy]

Probability of twins - 1/25

Probability of triplets - 1/50

Probability of quadruplets - 1/75

This would be one way of doing things. It would also work if you did it depending on the age of the female dragon. As with humans I believe that the chance of twins increases with age so that would be another cool way to work things. If it was to be done in this alternate way I would suggest decreasing the chance of regular fertility.

My other suggestion would be that the BSA of the Purple Dragon, 'Fertility' would be included in this. Depending on what dragon you use the BSA on that particular dragon should have the Gold Trophy level of producing multiple eggs or perhaps even more of a probability so users with the Gold Trophy already have a use for Fertility.

Here are some sample images I made of what it would look like to acquire multiple eggs:

user posted image

Twins

user posted image

Triplets

user posted image

Quadruplets

Let me know what you think of this idea. ~Ava <3

We had multi clutches years ago; now it only happens on holidays, for holiday dragons. The AP used to get flooded with leftovers.

TJ himself made the suggestion that Fertility could be changed to allow use to try for them again.

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=130166

and there is already at least one thread about this:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=16573

I can't say I'd welcome it, to put it mildly, unless as something you CHOOSE to try, as with TJ's idea.

Here you are ready to breed those two whites together, with one available slot, and you get quads and the rest auto (well, the extras DO auto with holiday multiclutches anyway - you do know that ? I don't know what used to happen in the old days, when it was always a possibility.)

Edited by fuzzbucket

Dragons used to be able to breed up to 4 eggs per clutch outside of holidays on their respective holiday. When was this changed?

Dragons used to be able to breed up to 4 eggs per clutch outside of holidays on their respective holiday. When was this changed?

Before 2010. Because it has never been the case since I joined. Except on holidays.

Edited by fuzzbucket

If there was a way to make this optional then I have no issue with this. I know some people would refuse to breed their dragons because they want to control their offspring, make sure who gets it or they just want to keep everything on their scroll.

Edited by RecycledHeart

Here you are ready to breed those two whites together, with one available slot, and you get quads and the rest auto (well, the extras DO auto with holiday multiclutches anyway - you do know that ? I don't know what used to happen in the old days, when it was always a possibility.)
It was just like with holidays: You could choose to keep one, the other went to the AP.

However, one question remains: What's the purpose of re-introducing multi-clutches? There are enough eggs for us to pick up, for neither the AP nor the biomes are ever truly empty. (Unless there's a new release, in which case you cannot breed the sought-after new breeds anyway.)

I don't know what used to happen in the old days, when it was always a possibility.

Just the same as happens now with holidays: you had x minutes to choose an egg, and as soon as you did so, the others would be dropped to the AP. If you didn't choose any on time, all of them went to the AP. If you bred 4 eggs with only 1 slot, you still got to choose the one you wanted.

ninja.gif

Edited by Ruby Eyes

It used to be a common thing to have multiclutches for commons. It never happened for rares though as far as I know, either that or I was never lucky enough. But regardless, you still couldn't keep all the eggs no matter how many egg slots you had available, which means you'd only get to keep a single egg. This sorta defeats the purpose of having multiples, no? I guess if you're in the mood to share babies with everyone else it'd be ok, but I can see a lot of angst and drama if it were possible to, say, breed 4 gold shimmer eggs from your CB shimmer and having 3 of them given out for free when you'd rather trade them for nice things instead. People with hollies already have to go through that, and it's caused no little resentment.

It was just like with holidays: You could choose to keep one, the other went to the AP.

However, one question remains: What's the purpose of re-introducing multi-clutches? There are enough eggs for us to pick up, for neither the AP nor the biomes are ever truly empty. (Unless there's a new release, in which case you cannot breed the sought-after new breeds anyway.)

Yeah - I agree. I can't see a need for this at all.

And thanks for the info about Ye Olden Dayes !

It used to be a common thing to have multiclutches for commons. It never happened for rares though as far as I know, either that or I was never lucky enough.

Back in early 2009, I did breed 2 silvers and 1 water from a pair. That was the only time I got 2 metals from one breeding though. But whether you bred multiple rares or commons, it is not something i would want. There are quite enough eggs available as is.

It used to be a common thing to have multiclutches for commons. It never happened for rares though as far as I know

It did happen for rares. In fact, there was a brief period while there was a glitch where more than one person had clutches of 3 or 4 golds or silvers. That was before rare x rare breeding so it was particularly noteworthy.

If multi-clutches came back I'm sure there would be safeguards in place to protect against skewing the ratios. If it comes back I'd prefer it to be enabled through a BSA so those who don't want multi-clutches from certain pairings wouldn't have to worry about it.

I don't think there needs to be any other criteria or limitations. It doesn't need to have higher chances for higher trophies or older dragons. I don't think those are a good idea. After all, a newer player may be as thrilled with a multi-clutch from one of their dragons as a gold trophy user, and maybe the dragon you'd be happiest about getting a multi-clutch from is that cb water walker that grew up today. Why should that be limited?

This is kind of a neat way to bring back multi-clutches. I think actions that allow users to specifically choose whether or not their dragons multi- will probably go over better, though. I don't mind this or one of those proposed actions, personally, however.

Multi's can be useful for some lineages when you don't mind abandoning eggs but are looking for a specific species.

While I personally don't see a need for the return of multi-clutches, I would not be opposed to it either. However, I would NOT want it to be a BSA.. just go back to the old way; it was possible with every breeding and you had 1 hr to decide which egg you wanted to keep.

Multi-clutching was originally introduced to make more eggs available for adoption. Eventually tho, it led to a very overcrowded AP so TJ removed it. But back then, the AP could block the cave too, but since that is no longer the case more eggs in the AP is not a big deal.

In summary, do we need it? No, but I wouldn't oppose the idea either. It could be very useful if you do a lot of inbreeding projects. Or you could become a collector of twin/triplet/quad dragons and have fun trading for siblings and such.

While I personally don't see a need for the return of multi-clutches, I would not be opposed to it either. However, I would NOT want it to be a BSA.. just go back to the old way; it was possible with every breeding and you had 1 hr to decide which egg you wanted to keep.

Multi-clutching was originally introduced to make more eggs available for adoption. Eventually tho, it led to a very overcrowded AP so TJ removed it. But back then, the AP could block the cave too, but since that is no longer the case more eggs in the AP is not a big deal.

In summary, do we need it? No, but I wouldn't oppose the idea either. It could be very useful if you do a lot of inbreeding projects. Or you could become a collector of twin/triplet/quad dragons and have fun trading for siblings and such.

I'd rather it were something one had a choice over (as in BSA) simply because there are already a significant number of players already who don't breed Christmas dragons, especially Hollies, because they can't control all their offspring. If that started also to apply to metals, when many of us rely on other players for help with lineages...

I would definitely want it to be optional.

Some lineages such as Breast Cancer Hope have very strict rules for lineage dragons. I would hate to see multiples produced for a lineage like that and have the eggs fall in to the hands of people who have no idea of the significance of that egg.

I would like it if it were a selection; it certainly would help with breeding projects and innocent hoarding

I'm against this if its not optional, it would ruin a lot of my lineages and projects

I would prefer TJ's idea for the Purple Dragons

I'm with everyone else about this being optional or no go. I personally say that for my prize, not because I want to be "greedy" and not share but because I want to know specifically who it goes to, make sure they follow the naming scheme as closely as possible, and ensure its to people who either don't have one, or have very few. Also because I want to work on some lineages and I don't want those lineages going to the AP without my deliberate decision or because I was dumb enough to breed whilst either egg locked or scroll locked.

So I would be all for this if there was an option for it. If its just random without my control then I would have to say no. As is breeding kind of sucks, I don't need anything else added on to that.

I don't really see a *need* for this, it's not like the AP is ever empty! But as long as it's an *optional choice*, I could go for it.

how about instead of the optional part being a BSA its just a simple setting you can change so that if you want triplets you can turn on "Allow multiple eggs" or if you don't then just turn it off

and if that's to op there could be a cool-down or something

What if there was a slim chance of having twins hatch from one egg? There won't be as many AP leftovers...?

If the egg hatched with 2 hatchlings, and you were scroll locked, the other hatchling would be auto-abandoned. Hatchlings in the AP are gone within seconds and thus won't clog the AP.

Make them like other similar animals.

Give like half of the dragon species 30 egg clutches and have the deep seas lay a few hundred thousand eggs at a time.

how about instead of the optional part being a BSA its just a simple setting you can change so that if you want triplets you can turn on "Allow multiple eggs" or if you don't then just turn it off

and if that's to op there could be a cool-down or something

I actually like this idea.

The thing is that, some people massbreed specifically to "fix" the ratios. Imagine having to use a BSA on some 200 or so dragons every week just to contribute better. That's be so much of a hassle (as if massbreeding, in itself, is timetaking already).

On the other hand, I'd want to keep my lineage eggs min euntil they're finished, so I'd really HATE having to abandon siblings of them somewhere in the AP.

To me, having an option to turn multiclutches on and off would be infinitesimally convenient. This has my support. :3