Avalerion

Twins, Triplets, Quadruptles & More?!

If you choose not to breed, you miss out on the opportunity. The suggestion gives the possibility of multiclutching at 4% with the highest trophy possibility (or one breeding out of 25).

It's not a very large percentage unless you breed the pairing regularly and even then you're pushing it.

What they meant is notbambi's idea of adding a cool down to the ability to prevent multi clutching in a similar way that summoning has a cool down regardless of how many trios you have, all trios can only perform a summon every x amount of time.

I personally don't agree with this because this means it would only be available for one breeding and one breeding only and some might want to have this available for a few more than that or many more than that.

I like CNR's view of this better, a BSA that can be used similar to fertility where it must be applied to at least one dragon in a breeding pair for every single breeding pair with each individual dragon's cool down being every x amount of days. This leaves a much more flexible form of play while still making it a tedious task to go through if you really feel that you don't want to multi clutch those particular pairs.

Anano, I know what tishavara meant. My reply to that was "if you choose not to breed, you miss out on the opportunity." And, I was referring to the entire multiclutch suggestion as per the OP on the front page. It's such a small percentage rate* that a pairing would even multiclutch that a person would be missing out by choosing not to breed while waiting for a cooldown.

*(My percentage was for two eggs from a gold trophy scroll pairing as per OP)

Edited by Jazeki

No support, unless it's a BSA type thing that is applied to *get* a multi, not one that prevents it. There's plenty of variety and backlog in the AP, and I just don't see this as necessary. It also just smacks a little too much of "you've got pretties, you have to share them." What a player does with their scroll is their business.

If you choose not to breed, you miss out on the opportunity. The suggestion gives the possibility of multiclutching at 4% with the highest trophy possibility (or one breeding out of 25).

It's not a very large percentage unless you breed the pairing regularly and even then you're pushing it.

I much prefer the BSA option to turn it off even if it is such a small chance. Having a really long cooldown and if you can only select one dragon would be a bit too much IMO.

I much prefer the BSA option to turn it off even if it is such a small chance. Having a really long cooldown and if you can only select one dragon would be a bit too much IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. And, having thought about it for a couple of hours (while trying to find sleep), I realized I'd want to use it on one of my dragon pairs - the parents of this inbred pebble so I can breed it a marrow sibling to continue the inbreeding pattern without adding something "ugly" to the AP.

Yeah, I would like Multiclutch default with just a regular BSA to prevent unwanted multiclutches. No scroll based cooldown, no fail rate, just a simple (if tedious) way to keep control when it's absolutely necessary in the eyes of the owner. Some people want to see all their progeny get named; this would help keep that a feasible goal.

Yeah, I would like Multiclutch default with just a regular BSA to prevent unwanted multiclutches. No scroll based cooldown, no fail rate, just a simple (if tedious) way to keep control when it's absolutely necessary in the eyes of the owner. Some people want to see all their progeny get named; this would help keep that a feasible goal.

I agree - but I would like to see a fail rate. Small - but there.

I do have to wonder, though, how a return of multiclutching would affect egg production across the site as a whole. I get the impression, from occasional comments TJ has made, that the number of eggs generated (bred AND CB) is related to the number of active users/scrolls at any given time - one "pie" divided between bred and CB. And I'm guessing that he has no plans to radically change the size of that pie. So, will more bred eggs mean less dropped as CB? Probably. Will it mean more unsuccessful breedings or refusals in general? Maybe - and that's kind of what I worry about. Yes, it could mean I breed an extra 2G Gold from a Holiday pairing and it goes to the AP, but does that mean that someone else will struggle even longer to breed any Gold from a common or uncommon pairing? Or does it mean one less CB Gold in the biomes? I realise that the presumed increase in bred commons will help to off-set this to an extent, but any lineage breeder knows just how annoying not getting the needed egg is, whether it's a metal or a dirt-common. One person's multiclutch might be someone else's teeth-grinding frustration. And I'm not getting the impression that people are finding breeding a cake-walk at present anyway.

Note, I'm not necessarily arguing against multiclutching, just kind of.... thinking aloud.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I subscribe to CNR's idea of having "not multi-clutching"=PITA. That's the reason I suggested cool-down. Not married to the idea but sounded PITA enough.

By making the multiclutch-off option as much of a PITA as humanely possible, a choice is retained, but laziness of having to, for example, BSA every single pair every time they breed them to prevent multiclutching should drive most people to just use the BSA on something that they think they absolutely have to retain absolute control over. This is based on personal experience with Fertility, which I don't use unless I really, really and really want something from a particular pair because let's face it, it's really annoying to have to use it over the what, 20 pairs or something that I used to breed regularly?

Keep in mind that CNR described Fertility as a PITA. I don't think it needs to be any more or less annoying than Fertility to work out well.

Keep in mind that CNR described Fertility as a PITA. I don't think it needs to be any more or less annoying than Fertility to work out well.

Will do. I just went through a breeding exercise to be able to gift 2G PB Golds in the Departures thread. Even if I've quite a good number of CB Gold pairs, I failed to breed more than a very, very few offsprings. I wish multi-clutching was implement so I would not feel like a failure sad.gif

Will do. I just went through a breeding exercise to be able to gift 2G PB Golds in the Departures thread. Even if I've quite a good number of CB Gold pairs, I failed to breed more than a very, very few offsprings. I wish multi-clutching was implement so I would not feel like a failure sad.gif

Even with multi-clutching, Gold x Gold will still produce nothing almost all of the time, as they are rare. When multi-clutching was a thing, you usually got multiples of the common egg, and once in a very long while a Gold (you couldn't do Gold x Gold back then). The clutches with 2 rares were virtually unheard of... The only one I've ever heard of was during the metal glitch when they were far too common (per the ratios). And the breeder only gets to keep 1 egg, anyway. I highly doubt TJ will change that particular facet of multiclutches.

So, multi-clutch will not directly help your Gold x Gold efforts. But it might help indirectly by evening out the ratios (producing multiple of the commons).

Cheers!

C4.

I do have to wonder, though, how a return of multiclutching would affect egg production across the site as a whole. I get the impression, from occasional comments TJ has made, that the number of eggs generated (bred AND CB) is related to the number of active users/scrolls at any given time - one "pie" divided between bred and CB. And I'm guessing that he has no plans to radically change the size of that pie. So, will more bred eggs mean less dropped as CB? Probably. Will it mean more unsuccessful breedings or refusals in general? Maybe - and that's kind of what I worry about. Yes, it could mean I breed an extra 2G Gold from a Holiday pairing and it goes to the AP, but does that mean that someone else will struggle even longer to breed any Gold from a common or uncommon pairing? Or does it mean one less CB Gold in the biomes? I realise that the presumed increase in bred commons will help to off-set this to an extent, but any lineage breeder knows just how annoying not getting the needed egg is, whether it's a metal or a dirt-common. One person's multiclutch might be someone else's teeth-grinding frustration. And I'm not getting the impression that people are finding breeding a cake-walk at present anyway.

Note, I'm not necessarily arguing against multiclutching, just kind of.... thinking aloud.

Probably. For every reaction there is an equal, opposite reaction. As the likely recipients for said function would be rares. It's unknown if the common breedings could keep up with the other. As it is, it seems by breeding results we have too few commons being bred.

Even with multi-clutching, Gold x Gold will still produce nothing almost all of the time, as they are rare. When multi-clutching was a thing, you usually got multiples of the common egg, and once in a very long while a Gold (you couldn't do Gold x Gold back then). The clutches with 2 rares were virtually unheard of... The only one I've ever heard of was during the metal glitch when they were far too common (per the ratios). And the breeder only gets to keep 1 egg, anyway. I highly doubt TJ will change that particular facet of multiclutches.

So, multi-clutch will not directly help your Gold x Gold efforts. But it might help indirectly by evening out the ratios (producing multiple of the commons).

Cheers!

C4.

I know that. Or at least the rational part of me, the one that is sitting at my desk instead of under it, does. I just wish there was a BSA that would allow for a multi-clutch-gifting: i.e 4 eggs are produced and all of them go directly to the AP. Even if the rational part of me is barking that a BSA like that would be bad, mass breeding wise, but still...

As annoying as the current fertility would be more than a PITA mad.gif

PLEASE let us never have another page with Mr Flappy and a 2 minute load time, or if we do, please PLEASE let there be a javascript free alternative.

As annoying as the current fertility would be more than a PITA mad.gif

PLEASE let us never have another page with Mr Flappy and a 2 minute load time, or if we do, please PLEASE let there be a javascript free alternative.

Fuzz, I guess I've been away for too long, what the heck is Mr Flappy?

Oh, my Fertility loads basically instantly. That's what I mean, not a 2 minute wait time due to fancy interface. xd.png

Fuzz, I guess I've been away for too long, what the heck is Mr Flappy?

*rolls with laughter*

Mr. Flappy is the dragon flapping its wings that you see while the fertility page is loading. biggrin.gif

*rolls with laughter*

Mr. Flappy is the dragon flapping its wings that you see while the fertility page is loading. biggrin.gif

Hi olympe! Glad to know I could make you laugh biggrin.gif And I'll stop posting before I get a warning for chatting cool.gif

Probably. For every reaction there is an equal, opposite reaction. As the likely recipients for said function would be rares. It's unknown if the common breedings could keep up with the other. As it is, it seems by breeding results we have too few commons being bred.

Ayup. And what I was trying to say, very poorly, is that approximately the same number of eggs spread around fewer total breedings (b'cos of multiclutch) may result in more no egg/no interest/refusals across the site as a whole, as well as possibly impacting CB drops (as is presumably the hope/intention).

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the monthly releases are helping, either. Last month's dragons have barely had time to settle in and spread before we're all looking down the track for the next new thing to appear on the horizon. And as soon as the New Hotness appears, we all drop everything and chase it wildly lest it pull a Copper/Almandine/Xeno on us. Before monthly releases were a Thing, it seemed that people spent more time collecting and breeding the existing breeds and that probably helped a lot to settle their numbers before something new came out. I speak from personal experience when I say that my lineage building has dropped to almost nothing since the monthly releases started - it's hard enough work keeping on top of collecting the CBs for my scroll goals, without breeding them into something interesting. I know the scroll goals are MY choice, I chose them when releases more more sparse, but going back... *twitch* ...probably not going to happen! When a new breed comes out, my first thought is often, "Ohai, a pretty new dragon that I will almost certainly not have room or time to make pretty lineages with." :/ Before monthly releases, I was working on several large EG lineages (6-8 gen and higher, mostly with commoner breeds), but now I feel like I've done really well if I can get to 4th gen with a lineage. I'm not sure I should even call myself a lineage breeder now. I'm not sure how my experience compares with others, but I'm feeling like I see fewer long lineages that don't revolve around shines/prizes/Holidays.

Oh, my Fertility loads basically instantly. That's what I mean, not a 2 minute wait time due to fancy interface. xd.png

LUCKY YOU - and this is not OT - as I find it CRITICALLY important that we not get another page like that where we who suffer cannot bypass javascript. I avoid using fertility unless I'm desperate, because of this.

I would die happy if TJ would set that up for fertility (and then he could put it back cuz I'd have to shut up about it !)

Well, let's just say I was speaking with pre-JS nightmare Fertility in mind when I posted that.

Well, let's just say I was speaking with pre-JS nightmare Fertility in mind when I posted that.

It really is WORSE now, don't you think ? and we do NOT need anything else like it, please please PLEASE TJ.

It really is WORSE now, don't you think ? and we do NOT need anything else like it, please please PLEASE TJ.

Yes, I agree that the forced JS on the current Fertility page is a bad move.

However, since fertility and the theoretical anti-multiclutch BSA are fundamentally similar, I think it is unavoidable that TJ will reuse whatever mechanism that is current for Fertility. So if you support the idea in general, your best chance would be keeping this thread visible.

It might be an unpopular opinion, but I don't think the monthly releases are helping, either.  Last month's dragons have barely had time to settle in and spread before we're all looking down the track for the next new thing to appear on the horizon.  And as soon as the New Hotness appears, we all drop everything and chase it wildly lest it pull a Copper/Almandine/Xeno on us.  Before monthly releases were a Thing, it seemed that people spent more time collecting and breeding the existing breeds and that probably helped a lot to settle their numbers before something new came out.  I speak from personal experience when I say that my lineage building has dropped to almost nothing since the monthly releases started - it's hard enough work keeping on top of collecting the CBs for my scroll goals, without breeding them into something interesting.  I know the scroll goals are MY choice, I chose them when releases more more sparse, but going back... *twitch* ...probably not going to happen!  When a new breed comes out, my first thought is often, "Ohai, a pretty new dragon that I will almost certainly not have room or time to make pretty lineages with."  :/  Before monthly releases, I was working on several large EG lineages (6-8 gen and higher, mostly with commoner breeds), but now I feel like I've done really well if I can get to 4th gen with a lineage.  I'm not sure I should even call myself a lineage breeder now.  I'm not sure how my experience compares with others, but I'm feeling like I see fewer long lineages that don't revolve around shines/prizes/Holidays.

Oh, I feel you - before I used to work on a ton of lineages, but since I missed the Xenowurm release (still kicking myself for it, because trying to gather them for my scrollgoals is a painful thing with them being so rare) I've been putting more and more of my projects on hold. There simply isn't an much time for them - the first week of the release goes to hoarding new, potentially rare dragons and two weeks later you already need to start prepping for the next release, lest you run out of scroll space.

Anyhow, with a multitude of eggs being available for grabs in the AP, Cave and on numerous forum gifting sites I don't really see a need to reintroduce multiclutching. I don't know how this would impact on breeding ratios or the Cave drops. Also, this would most likely not result in more rares floating around in the AP, since even with multiclutching the chance of a pair producing more then 1 rare is tiny, you'd probably just get a few fails - so I wouldn't expect an influx of 2nd gen Prizes or Metals here.

I suppose if this would not have a negative impact on the ratios I wouldn't mind, since I love to share my lineages with anyone who likes them and often breed my prettier lineages for the AP and I always breed my Holidays during their breeding windows so everyone can enjoy the holiday events.

Edited by stagazer_7