TJ09

2015-03-13 - Site Redesign Launch

Can we have the old default as a site skin choice? The moving background is making me seasick and I've never liked the other skins. It's really nice art, don't get me wrong, but I can't deal with the moving background.

sane here, I prefered the old layout.

The new background art is absolutely beautiful, but as someone who suffers from migraines that are triggered especially by visual movement and contrasts (such as the dark/light on one side of the screen now) may I humbly ask that a plainer background like the old default be made an option for those of us who have difficulty with too much going on visually?

I've had to switch to one of the other skins for now, but none of them are as easy for my eyes to process as the old default. It would be much appreciated if it was still available as an option.

Edited by caffkitty

Make sure you're not using a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5 / Ctrl+Shift+R) to load the cave. If you aren't, then your browser will keep things like the background in cache, so it adds no extra time to page load.

That in itself is not what's causing many problems with the site loading.

dc just consists of so many different bits and parts, that all need to be processed and the browser can only handle so many at once.

Your Background-Image? Only takes 250b to check from Server as 304, its not loaded newly. Same applies for the other 34 cached items displayed. But imagine that with an older browser and high latency?

loading only a few items at once, each taking 500ms just to determine that it is unchanged, and your site loading times for those poor fellows will be at around 4-5s. if they did not use a hard-refresh, that is.

Edited by whitebaron

That in itself is not what's causing many problems with the site loading.

dc just consists of so many different bits and parts, that all need to be processed and the browser can only handle so many at once.

Your Background-Image? Only takes 250b to check from Server as 304, its not loaded newly. Same applies for the other 34 cached items displayed. But imagine that with an older browser and high latency?

loading only a few items at once, each taking 500ms just to determine that it is unchanged, and your site loading times for those poor fellows will be at around 4-5s. if they did not use a hard-refresh, that is.

To add to this:

Most static files you get from a webserver have a caching time attached to them - the browser can skip asking the server anything if the local copy hasn't 'expired' yet. For example, the site background on the Portal 2 skin has this meta-data attached to it if I force it to load again now:

Expires:Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:21:53 GMT

That being said, it's up to the browser whether it'll check for changes anyway or not, and a reload command does often bypass parts of the cache even if it's not a hard reload. Browser caching in general is frustrating to work with - forcing a browser not to cache your page at all, for example, as high-security sites would want, is an exercise in pure frustration even though the various HTTP headers should in theory totally give you full control.

Because of this, I'd recommend never reloading the page, but clicking on a link instead, wherever possible. I reload my scroll page by clicking on the 'dragons' link, for example, when I'm waiting for something to hatch. That makes optimal use of the cache.

Reloading the page on Portal 2 in Chrome with a link click gives me the vast majority of assets from cache without even a header check. smile.gif

Edited by pinkgothic

Problem is that there is simply no link to click for the biome you are currently in. You have to *swap* biomes all the time to make use of the cache - not very efficient for hunting either.

Oh what a nice surprise when I went to have a look at my dragons and I caught a CB Blusang.

Totally love it. happy.gif

I also love the time stamp on the top.... This helps me a lot which means no more doing sums to figure out what time its in the cave xd.png

I don't have a problem with the background at all (mostly because I adjust quickly to new things) but I can understand some of the others complaints towards it. I know some people's epilepsy might be triggered by it. So I think there should be an option for the old look... but I would still l like the clock thingy and stuff to be still there.

Hmm, I only just noticed that the background moved as well. I usually just hit the space bar to scroll down very quickly, so I think my eyes were focused too much on where I was on my scroll to notice the background. I tried scrolling with my trackpad, and I can see how that would make people a bit dizzy.

laugh.gif *Facepalm* I just noticed that scrolling down moves the background too. I was wondering, "Where's that pile of eggs that was in the preview?"

Having a slow internet (3G stick), I've also noticed a lot of lag. Sometimes nothing's loading for mi utes. And as this is the only change I know of, this mist be the reason. Love the look, but not the loading time.

As I feared, scrolling for the custom sort I use is VERY laggy. I sorted about five dragons today, but it's too slow for me to do any others.

Everything else works great, and I love the new background and layout, except for the effect it has on sorting. I guess I have to change skins whenever I'm going to sort for now? Hopefully the lag in this portion can be corrected at some point, so I can keep this beautiful new update all the time...

As I feared, scrolling for the custom sort I use is VERY laggy. I sorted about five dragons today, but it's too slow for me to do any others.

Everything else works great, and I love the new background and layout, except for the effect it has on sorting. I guess I have to change skins whenever I'm going to sort for now? Hopefully the lag in this portion can be corrected at some point, so I can keep this beautiful new update all the time...

I'd have to change for hunting too. But I've had to run with St Patrick's anyway - the new thing makes me dizzy, and is too slow... I even tried hunting with style turned off - and for some reason even doing that is laggier than wearing the green.

I'd have to change for hunting too. But I've had to run with St Patrick's anyway - the new thing makes me dizzy, and is too slow... I even tried hunting with style turned off - and for some reason even doing that is laggier than wearing the green.

I switched to the green until I'm done with my sorting and such. It's even faster than the old default! So that's a plus for me...

I'd use it more often if I liked the color scheme. It's quick to respond, no lag, and even faster to load and scroll my sort pages than the old default had been.

I switched to the green until I'm done with my sorting and such. It's even faster than the old default! So that's a plus for me...

I'd use it more often if I liked the color scheme. It's quick to respond, no lag, and even faster to load and scroll my sort pages than the old default had been.

Quite. I almost wish I had found it sooner smile.gif

Did something just change with the font? I had the e's that looked like c's in my username at the top of the page and now they actually look like e's. I'm usually not too observant about slight changes, but something looks different.

Did something just change with the font? I had the e's that looked like c's in my username at the top of the page and now they actually look like e's. I'm usually not too observant about slight changes, but something looks different.

I reconverted the font shortly after the layout was released to make it render better in certain cases (IE8 was the main one I tested), but browser caching does its job, so it probably took a while to actually update for most people.

It's much better now! thanks TJ smile.gif

Font yes; moving background/dizziness/sort options - no. Sorry, but...

I still have to reload the page after opening the Alt custom sort page before I can move anything. And it's still slow and jerky.

Font yes; moving background/dizziness/sort options - no. Sorry, but...

I still have to reload the page after opening the Alt custom sort page before I can move anything. And it's still slow and jerky.

I'm also having that issue with custom sort. Thought it might be my browser or connection or something, but if it's something related to the update, guess I should let you know, TJ.

The site looks amazing, by the way. The addition of the clock was absolutely brilliant. smile.gif

I've always used the St.Patricks day layout, so I didn't notice until today and I went to login. It looks good but I still like my Shamrocks ^-^

I've always used the St.Patricks day layout, so I didn't notice until today and I went to login. ^-^

Same here! But I like it!

Ah! It appears the background is now stationary on long pages! I can actually use the new default and not be sick from the movement!

Thank you TJ very much!

I do still experience lag, but I'll just have to change to a different skin when I feel like hunting. The St. Paddy's grew on me over the few days I used it.

I thought I could get used to this, but I don't think I will. It's... it's giving me a headache. The contrast is so extreme now that I can't even browse for eggs.

I liked the scrolling, and it's gone! So I only get part of the artwork, and not the part I really loved sad.gif

dagnabit xd.png

Edited by daba555