morgianlefaye

Non-Namers

I try to name all my dragons (but I have kind of a large backlog at the moment, eek!) but it's not something I'm especially in to.

I DO strongly prefer named parents though, but within a certain length of name, because it makes the spacing on the lineage view look nicer than just the codes biggrin.gif Same goes to excessively long names... I don't like the way they stretch the lineage out.

I name only dragons with clean lineages or those I promised to name smile.gif Generally I don't care for names as long as they are short and don't stretch lineage boxes.

When I'm offered two dragons with the same lineage I usually choose the one with shorter names or no names at all. I do like seeing codes smile.gif When I have only one offer and with long names I don't decline it... however I usually don't accept it on spot but wait to see if I can find something nicer.

Of my 3967 dragons, only 2570 are named. That leaves about 1/3 of my dragons unnamed until I get around to name them. Shinies get their names quickly, caveborn commons get their name when I breed them - unless I forget. (Z codes currently need to wait a bit longer as I name them whenever I enter them to the z-code database.)

I generally don't name my dragons with markers like "CB" or numerics. However, if a dragon of mine is prefixed "Secundy" I know it's second gen (surprise xd.png), prefix "Terty" is third gen, and there are also "Quarty," "Quinty" and "Sixty" prefixes. Special lineages get their generation number in a different way: http://dragcave.net/lineage/mltXu or http://dragcave.net/lineage/6XBgZ

That's about as numerical as I get.

When getting bred eggs from others, I sometimes take parental names into consideration. Some of my earlier dragons that I named after their lineage names now seem to have them out of the blue - because apparently the scroll that bred them went inactive and lost all names: http://dragcave.net/lineage/myKH (now that looks ridiculous, doesn't it?)

Of my 3967 dragons, only 2570 are named. That leaves about 1/3 of my dragons unnamed until I get around to name them. Shinies get their names quickly, caveborn commons get their name when I breed them - unless I forget. (Z codes currently need to wait a bit longer as I name them whenever I enter them to the z-code database.)

I generally don't name my dragons with markers like "CB" or numerics. However, if a dragon of mine is prefixed "Secundy" I know it's second gen (surprise xd.png), prefix "Terty" is third gen, and there are also "Quarty," "Quinty" and "Sixty" prefixes. Special lineages get their generation number in a different way: http://dragcave.net/lineage/mltXu or http://dragcave.net/lineage/6XBgZ

That's about as numerical as I get.

When getting bred eggs from others, I sometimes take parental names into consideration. Some of my earlier dragons that I named after their lineage names now seem to have them out of the blue - because apparently the scroll that bred them went inactive and lost all names: http://dragcave.net/lineage/myKH (now that looks ridiculous, doesn't it?)

Haha, that's happened to me too. This one is my favorite... not only are the parents unnamed now, they are dead! Whenever I see this one I think "You used to be someone!!" tongue.gif

http://dragcave.net/lineage/6YUkv

So, knowing that can happen, I do try not to get too attached to that parent's names or be disappointed if some ancestor names disappear in a nice lineage.

Names can disappear at any time, so I agree, it's best not to get too attached to them.

That said, there are some cases to be made for the value and importance of names to some lineages. (This one is all on my scroll, of course, so I don't have to worry about the names disappearing. wink.gif )

There are also cases when not having names is more amusing, so there's that, too.

I think it's up to preference, really?

If there are names, I tend to prefer nicer ones, but it generally doesn't bother me whether or not the parents or named or what they are, EXCEPT that parents' names can help me pick names for MY dragons. tongue.gif

I do name my dragons, unless I really like their code. Sometimes I work the lack of name into the dragon's description, other times I just think it's a cool "name" in its own right. Dragons on my scroll above my growing eggs and hatchlings still need to be sorted into my scroll, and as such may or may not be named. Once they move below that point and appear with their own breeds, named or not, that's how I want them to stay.

For a while all new releases sat unnamed on my scroll. I just couldn't think of anything to name them. I have to have an idea and then I like to do a naming theme for a breed for project. And sometimes, like other people, I like the codes too much to name. smile.gif

I usually name my dragons, those I have unnamed is because I am purely lazy and rarely name hatchlings. So when I finally feel motivated to name them again, I have to go through my scroll to find them and name them xd.png

I am not the most creative person out there to name stuff dry.gif which means I often use things like 'CB', ' 2GPB', '3GL' or shimmerkin og tinselkin to keep just somewhat track of what I have got. If I feel utterly uninspired I sometimes look up the parents if they have names ^^

I usually name my dragons, those I have unnamed is because I am purely lazy and rarely name hatchlings. So when I finally feel motivated to name them again, I have to go through my scroll to find them and name them xd.png

I am not the most creative person out there to name stuff dry.gif which means I often use things like 'CB', ' 2GPB', '3GL' or shimmerkin og tinselkin to keep just somewhat track of what I have got. If I feel utterly uninspired I sometimes look up the parents if they have names ^^

If you're on your /dragons page, there is a drop-down menu just below your badges. You can use this to make your scroll only show unnamed dragons, which makes them easier to find. smile.gif

I try to name my dragons, but there are several in my scroll that haven't been named. Normally I try to come up with themes in naming. Like if I'm working on a specific lineage, I pick a name theme for dragons in that lineage. Or when I really like a certain breed, I find some sort of naming theme for that breed of dragons. And then I try to name the offspring something related to the parents' names. Sometimes though when I've just acquired random or messy eggs, or dragons right before I end up taking a couple months off DC...They just end up not being named =/. I also don't name dragons with funny or cool codes. It does get hard after a while to keep coming up with new names lol.

I know I've been slowly working on breeding Olive Dragons (just purebred, even gen lineage) and I name them all Oliver/Olivia and then like..an adjective-body part. So Oliver Bighead (not really, but you get the idea.) Then when I breed them, I combine the last name for the baby. So Oliver Bighead and Olivia Brighteye's child might be..Olivia Bigeye. I am starting to run out of body parts for my new CBs though.....

And just a reminder, please don't steal my naming theme, I just wanted to share and maybe help inspire people who are stuck on naming dragons

Another thing is, I used to kind of dislike when people put like, 3G in a dragon's name because I felt like it took away from the name itself. Recently though, to better keep track of which dragons I wanted to breed together, I've found myself putting those tags on the end of dragons' names myself...I still don't like it, but it does help keep things organized DX

I am so uncreative with names, that I came up with a system to name them.

Let's take the name Tidart Dranpleso'so and unpick it.

First we have the word Tidart. This is the dragon's family name. In a CB dragon, this name is based upon the code, but in a non CB dragon, it is based upon the parents' names. If the dragon is male, he will take the first syllable of his Father's name, and the last syllable of his Mother's name and vice versa. In Tidart Dranpleso'so's name, I don't really count "Dragon" as part of his Mother's name, so I took "dart" instead.

Next we have the word Dranpleso. This is the dragon's personal name. "Dran" is the prefix I use for all my Bright-Breasted Wyverns. "pleso" is what I added on the end to make the dragon unique. I have a Google Spreadsheet of all my dragon breed fixes (suffixes and prefixes).

Finally, we have the word 'so. This is the dragon's lineage. "so" means 2G, not purebred. I also have a spreadsheet with all of these lineage words.

And that's pretty much how I name my dragons. It works for me tongue.gif

I do a similar thing to Jascuty, but more streamlined (I planned out an almost identical system, but then decided it was to difficult to remember off the cuff haha).

I have multiple groups (Dooms) within my scrolls with different systems, but the main Doom is the Marble Cup Cavern (obscure reference, don't ask) and the naming system there is a substitution cipher for the first name then a surname based on lineage. So P'dor means caveborn, P'eng means 2G from my CB, P'engi means higher gen from my dragons, and so on. The P is a hangover from when all my dooms were going to use the cipher, and the P was the substitution for M (for Marble)

The rest of my scroll is different but simpler, and tbh there are too many Dooms to bother detailing them all. I do try to name them all but I still have several hundred unnamed and it's such a chore dry.gif

I've taken the naming oath, but I get uhhh... namer's block all the time. Right now I have about 30 dragons without names, and I hate that I have so many unnamed, but naming is hard. I don't really have a set naming scheme, either, which makes it harder. I try to fit each name to the dragon. Why, I have no idea. I could just give them title names, but meh. They would stand out. Occasionally I'll name a dragon after some fandom character, but for the most part, all of my names are original.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one out there. Even my more creatively named dragons have recently been either given a CB 2G etc addition to their names for ease of finding. It's always so interesting to me the many different ways people play DC

I used to name all my dragons, but as I get more and more I've run out of naming ideas. Every once in awhile inspiration strikes and I go on a naming spree.

At the moment I have 2,719 dragons and 1,762 are named.

I only name dragons I use for lineages if I really feel like continuing that lineage or not. I take naming requests when someone asks me for a certain combination in which I haven't named one of the parents. So basically, they get to pick the name smile.gif When I name I make sure I like the name so it has to be unique (whites are an exception) and I can't come up with 2,000+ unique names on the spot so that's the reason why I have so many unnamed dragons. xd.png It doesn't bother me if I pick up a dragon with unnamed ancestors, but I do prefer they have names. smile.gif Sometimes I even prefer a dragon not named at all when I see their names, tbh....... >___>;

I like it when people name my dragons' offspring but I don't really care about whether dragons in lineages I have are named or not |D

I don't try to trade dragons I've bred myself very much but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of my dragons' names would be considered off-putting because of their length (and also because a lot of them are strange and seemingly out of nowhere and also some of them are in all caps c': )

When I can't think of a name I usually just name them the first phrase that pops into my head

which uh

accounts for some of the weirder names c'':

Edited by Pika_Oi

One of the things I am a bit jealous of is people's ability to name their dragons such awesome names. Naming dragons is not my strong suit, and to keep my scroll and breeding organized, often they end up named CB Red I, CB Red II etc. Or 2G Sunstone. I never thought of this as being an issue until I started getting into trading and realized people don't like eggs from me because my dragons are either not named, or not nicely named.

Any other non-namers out there or quasi namers out there? Or people who just don't care about the parents' names?

Same here, I can't think of names for all my dragons so I basically give them classification names based on generation/CB and breed. I also number my mating pairs to prevent inbreeding (and it doesn't always work if I don't pay attention...). I'm realizing that my dragon names are probably a reason people often don't want my eggs even when I have reason to believe it's an interesting lineage, and that kind of irritates me, because I don't care what names are in anybody else's lineage and I don't see why it has to be an issue. They're adorable pixel arrangements, but they ARE just pixel arrangements. Don't take away from somebody else's fun for what amounts to a silly pride issue.

I LIKE seeing names in the lineages, but I care more that my own dragons' offspring get named. I hate seeing unnamed dragons in their children's list. I won't turn down a trade just because a dragon is not named, but if I was given two equal trades, the one with the named parents would win.

See, I don't care about this either. I care if it's inbred and I care if the lineage is clean. If you look at my scroll you'll see there are a few messies but when I first got back on DC after most of five years away, I was pulling eggs off the AP just to fill in breeds I didn't have. I've gotten a lot more finicky since then--but only about the lineage pattern, *not* the names. It'd have to be something pretty offensive before it bothered me. Generation designations don't bother me.

My dragons get names when they're darn good and ready to tell me what they should be named. xd.png I have a particular system for each breed/color/event. There are some complete breeds that I have yet to decide what their naming scheme will be, and until I do, they will remain nameless. There are some that I have to try and fit a name to the entire scheme, and so that dragon goes without one until I'm happy with my choice of their moniker. The only time I ever ask anyone else to name a particular egg, is when I drop Thuweds or D'Hennegels, and only then for obvious reasons. But that's a personal choice, and once that egg is off my scroll, it's really none of my business, nor do I offer on trades wherein it's demanded that the egg/hatchling be named.

Hmm, all of my dragons are named. Sometimes I take their name off their code, for example: I have a dragon with the code mjv21 (can't remember where the caps are) so the mj bit made me think of the YouTube name of a singer that I like, and the v21 made me think version 21. The dragons was named Memj V21. I also like to take the basic idea of a dragon, for example, a water dragon. And I come up with a few words that make me think of water, like "Gently Flowing River" and if that name is taken, I translate it to a different language, like Latin. *shrug*

Edited by shadowfighter

See, I don't care about this either. I care if it's inbred and I care if the lineage is clean. If you look at my scroll you'll see there are a few messies but when I first got back on DC after most of five years away, I was pulling eggs off the AP just to fill in breeds I didn't have. I've gotten a lot more finicky since then--but only about the lineage pattern, *not* the names. It'd have to be something pretty offensive before it bothered me. Generation designations don't bother me.

That's pretty much how I feel. Honestly, it would have to be an exactly identical trade (including time to hatch/grow up) for me to actually choose between two based on the parents being named or not. If it's what I am looking for, I'm not going to turn it down. First person to offer it to me, regardless of the names of parents, is going to get me to hit accept on the trade. xd.png

That being said, I can see why some people want a certain thing with the names. Some people (especially those working on common lineages and who can afford to be pickier) have started a lineage with short names and just want to keep the boxes all looking uniform, or they have long names and want to not have a tiny name look like it is lost in the vastness of space.

I name all of mine because I enjoy naming them. It also makes it so much easier to find them when I need them! O_O I'm up to 8 pages now and constantly growing. I put generation/lineage designations in the names of anything above CB, too, for ease of finding them. If that bothers people, it's yet to be an issue that I've actually noticed yet. I've never not gotten trade offers unless it was just something people weren't very interested in to begin with.

I used to take forever naming my dragons because names WERE forever back then and I wanted something that I liked and felt suited them.

I still take forever, despite being a lot less fussy now, in part because too-often anything I can think of has been used in any spelling variations I can think of.

With breds, I try to name off parents or other ancestors, or off codes, where possible, or sometimes after gifters, but I have a massive number of dragons going by 'hey, you!' until something finally pops into mind or I breed them and want to slap a name of at least some sort on the parents of what will be someone else's dragon - and hope I come up with something better down the road.

I really hate lineage identification in, or as, names, but have wound up doing that anyway, due to a memory which sucks, and searching though my scroll to see if I've a possible mate for a new acquisition is a lot easier if that ugly 'name' along the the lines of 3G Old Pink Whatever base/checker is marked, as I've previously missed out and wrongly Influenced a potential mate which may have been waiting years for Mr/Ms. right, only to find out long afterward that was an 'ooooops' only to spend eternity kicking myself over it, since various of such matches are typically all-too-impossible to find.

That and the hazard of mistaking one dragon for another when breeding while too tired to bring up more pages and search, since we still don't have lineage links on the breeding page. (Hint, lol. ninja.gif )

But in that case, IF a dragon is unnamed, at least it's easy enough to take the code for checking and make a simple substitution on a lineage link.

I go in spurts, but I think I'm getting further and further behind. It's hard to be creative when your scroll starts bloating faster than you can keep up with it.  tongue.gif

This, very much. Way back when we had the old limits of 4 (+1) eggs or 4 hatchlings, it was much easier to keep up with naming.

I still tend to name special lineages (holidays, rares, trades) - but not everything I find and raise.

Edited by olympe

I have a surname system based on breed that I mostly stick to. The first names tend to come from the dragon's code if possible, so some of the names look a bit odd. I personally think it works out okay for fantasy creatures, but if this was a cat raising game I probably would work out some better system for names. tongue.gif

I'll usually break the system for AP catches with named parents. I like to match the other person's system if I can, and it can be a fun little challenge.

I (in theory) name all of my dragons. That said, I have never caught up with my naming backlog... but I'm still trying. It is especially difficult for me because I don't name my dragons just to name my dragons. I only name my dragons with names that are meaningful to me, so coming up with thousands upon thousands of names is more difficult than going to online name generators or mashing random syllables together.

In both lineages and progeny of my dragons, I like seeing nice names (i.e. "Feogowith Ataxa"). Nice names with gen markers or scroll/lineage tag/surname (i.e. "CB Alceste" or "Sunset Shimmer V" or "Cela's Winter Wonderland") are also good although slightly less preferred. I am also perfectly okay with unnamed dragons. The code-naming schemes that people come up with to notate what lineage each dragon is (i.e. "Belodon Grafica CK4" to indicate a fourth gen checker) I don't really like but tolerate. I am only sometimes okay with super long names, usually if the names are particularly inventive/amusing or if the entire lineage has consistently long names. One long name in the middle of a lineage can really mess up how it looks.

Several of my friends only like super short names (~8 characters or less) because they like the look of lineages which are densely packed. I don't like the look of very densely packed lineages, although I do have certain CBs/2gs named with very short names in order to accommodate breeding requests from them.

I don't put in my trade posts that I require nicely named dragons in lineages, because I'm really not that picky. I don't have to like the names in the lineage in order to like the lineage. However, occasionally really terrible names are so off-putting that I will reject or not offer on a trade on that basis alone. An example of what I think is a terrible name is "F EG4 CK Swallowtail Copper MIMI" at the fourth gen of a checker which otherwise has short-ish and untagged names. Between tags for gender, gen, lineage type, and scroll and the non-tagged portion of the name being only the dragon types used in the lineage, I find such names to be not something that I want in the lineages of my dragons. Luckily, I see off-putting names very rarely.

Disclaimer: all example names in this post have been made up by me on the spot, but not checked to see if they have been taken, any overlap with existing dragon names is unintentional.