morgianlefaye

Non-Namers

One of the things I am a bit jealous of is people's ability to name their dragons such awesome names. Naming dragons is not my strong suit, and to keep my scroll and breeding organized, often they end up named CB Red I, CB Red II etc. Or 2G Sunstone. I never thought of this as being an issue until I started getting into trading and realized people don't like eggs from me because my dragons are either not named, or not nicely named.

Any other non-namers out there or quasi namers out there? Or people who just don't care about the parents' names?

That's awesome! I'm pregnant and finding coming up with names for the baby hard enough! Dragons are the last of my worries! biggrin.gif

At first, I didn't care about naming my dragons because I memorized their codes, and to me their code was their name. I still know a lot of my dragons by their code first. I don't know why I ever named my first dragon, but once I did, I couldn't stop. I think currently that all of my dragons are named, except eggs of course. I sometimes let it slip for a week or two but then I'll go through and name all of my new hatchlings.

My boyfriend does not name his dragons and it bugs me! The few he has named, he named because I coaxed him to.

I've been quasi-naming my Flamingos for the Holly Contest. Having caught 71 in about a month, giving them "proper" names is too much hassle for me.

They're all named "Aquifoliaceae #" with a bit of lineage information and their gender tacked onto the end.

Congratz on the baby, morgian. I wish both you and it good health.

Edited by Ansela Jonla

I like having my dragons named. It's a lot easier if you name them as the gender, rather than waiting and having a bunch to name. That gets overwhelming. I don't trade much as it never seems like people want what I have to offer. But I don't really care about the names in the lineages.

One way to name your dragons is too look at a list of baby names and picking out ones you like. You can make up a last name that you give to every dragon on your scroll, meaning you can give them any name you want and you add that to make it yours and unique, so you don't have to worry about the names already being taken, or you can give each of them a random surname so if the name is taken you can just change the last name.

Another way of naming them is just looking around at what you can see. For exampleI'm on a bus right now. If I look out the window I can see a car and a fence. So a name I could make from that is Carce Fenn. Now I can see a window and the ocean. Ocena Wind. Or just naming them after what you can see. Eg. My friend has a dragon called Beneful after a brand of dog food.

Another thing you can do is make up a code to name your dragons. Eg.

A= X

B= K

C = T

D = O

And so on.

This way you can name the dragons whatever you want and it's pretty much guaranteed that the name won't be taken. Although I tried this for a while and I found it was a bit tedious to change all the names into the code.

Another way I've seen people name dragons is to name them after their codes. For example my boyfriend has a dragon whose code is Osmar(I don't remember the caps) and his name is Osmar. So looking at the code is always a good way to draw inspiration for a name but I've only just discovered this so I don't know too much about this naming method yet.

I know that this isn't a help topic but you seem to want to be able to name your dragons so I hope I helped. smile.gif

Edited by AppleMango

I name most of my dragons, unless they have a cool code, in which case I just leave the code as the name. (usually something semi-pronounceable like VHaul [looks like U-Haul] or D1of4) Other times, I'm just lazy. But I LOVE when seasonal dragons come along, and I catch a set of twins or triplets from the same parents, in which case I will give them all a similar name with the breed abbreviation next to it. (Elorah RB, Elaine RB and Elyssa RB are a set from this V-day, all Rosebuds from the same parents.

Otherwise, my nomenclature is sporadic, at best. For a while I was looking at the code, and naming the dragons something similar to what that code might have sounded like. The names were never taken, as the word was completely made up. (AWLkR became Awlakara)

It seems many have different preference of naming, some exclude names that are too long, some exclude that are too short or no name. Thus I think you can do whatever you like about naming as long as it pleases you. :>

I don't care about the names/no names that are on other people's scroll. I usually name my dragons, but I'd like to place every information into their names thus makes them verbose... But it's easier for me to search a certain breed or certain dragon while breeding. It's just convenience. smile.gif

Edited by ishlia

I LIKE seeing names in the lineages, but I care more that my own dragons' offspring get named. I hate seeing unnamed dragons in their children's list. I won't turn down a trade just because a dragon is not named, but if I was given two equal trades, the one with the named parents would win.

When I first joined, names were permanent and couldn't be changed. I've named a handful of dragons over the years but was always intimidated by not being able to change them. What if I thought a name was dumb down the line? I'd be stuck! Not to mention I'm terrible at naming anything. So I just... never really did it.

Since I've started actually caring about lineages and whatnot I've had to start naming dragons. I started off just naming new dragons I acquired from trades or gifts, using a certain name scheme for all of the CBs and the parent names for PBs. Last night I went through and named all my CBs that don't have really cool codes. I went from over 550 unnamed to 484. A chunk of them have pretty awful names though xd.png

I'm not really picky about names in lineages. But on some long organized ones it can be a little weird having it switch randomly between named and unnamed so I can understand people not being a fan of those.

My naming comes in phases lol I didnt name my dragons for a long time, then all of a sudden I'm getting ideas. Its still like that haha I only started naming and renaming again, but still got plenty that are non-namers, mainly cos I cant think of a name for them...all in due time I suppose.

PS I just had a baby, too --- took me ages till I found the perfect name for her, but like with my dragons...one day it just came to me x

Err... I've had no real trouble trading my metals, and this is what they typically look like:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/4SKDj

I do name some stuff, but the rest is very unimaginative and follows a simple numbering pattern. smile.gif

I do have some Lineage names, but they also just include numbers, like Cool Cassis XIV (14th cassare dragon I got) or Brutum Fulmen XLIX (49th Brute)

About the baby: grats, and don't worry. whatever name you pick, it will grow on you. I wasn't 100% happy with our firstborns name, and now I can't imagine it any other way.

I LIKE seeing names in the lineages, but I care more that my own dragons' offspring get named. I hate seeing unnamed dragons in their children's list. I won't turn down a trade just because a dragon is not named, but if I was given two equal trades, the one with the named parents would win.

Same with the part I bolded. If there's two of the same offer (same lineage, same time), I'll go for the egg with the better named parents. I prefer nicely named/coded parents over parents named "CB name" or "PB 3rd gen name"

Before I joined the forums and got into trading, I really didn't give a damn about lineages or names, to me all that mattered was that the dragon grew up (I didn't know about click sites either rolleyes.gif). I named all of my dragons though, tried to give them the prettiest names possible.

I still do that, but now I usually add their lineage number and what sort of lineage they have at the end, it makes breeding much easier but doesn't look that good, in my opinion. unsure.gif I often do decline trades where the parents aren't named, even if the trade is wonderful :1

But baby names are much harder than dragon names tongue.gif I wish you luck in finding that perfect name!

My daughter mostly stopped naming hers years ago, because all the 'good names' were taken. It doesn't really matter much I guess since she rarely breeds or trades.

I go in spurts, but I think I'm getting further and further behind. It's hard to be creative when your scroll starts bloating faster than you can keep up with it. tongue.gif

Put CB/PB/AP and generations in names helps keeping track of the origin of the dragons, put certain words to separate breeds or mark certain lineages helps search through all the dragons while breeding, I still prefer longer detailed names. tongue.gif

I try to name all my Papers. Dragons of other types I don't name most of the time, unless I feel like it because of the lineage/code/sudden burst of inspiration.

I'm cool with any names/lack thereof in lineages. ^^

Oh wow! Responses! Good to see some of the various opinions out here! Sometimes that's missing when all you see is the want section for trades.

Glad to see what preferences are. And to know there are people out there who will still take my long detailed named dragons! Keep enjoying the hunt everyone!

I name my common/semi common CBs usually when they're bred for some special lineage.

All bred Dragons get named after they grew up.

I generally name mine based on their code. Example: CPujo = Cipujo.

For most dragons I also give them a sirname that is descriptive of their breed based on Japanese. Example: Kichiku means 'Brute' and it's the sirname for my Brute dragons (note: many, if not most of the sirnames are only part of the Japanese word it is taken from).

If they have Thuweds or Dorkface in their lineage, those are part of their full name as well.

Sometimes I can make funny names/phrases out of the codes:

8WH0Y = Ate Who You

607yd = 607 yard girl

*offers some ideas* You could do [insert name here] Le Faye(or Lefaye), use BehindtheName, or random name generator of any kinds.

As for me... I name my dragons mix of song lyrics, random hilarious things, Behind the name, random name generator, and just random stuff. laugh.gif

And you can count me as someone who doesn't mind the parents name if it's a dragon I want. smile.gif

I am incredibly lazy when it comes to name my beasts. Most of the time I name based on the code, but I don't have a specific naming theme. I have several reds with the lyrics from Eclipse (Pink Floyd), some golden wyverns with Steelers players, some blacks with Torchwood names... but most of my dragons are unnamed. Sue me laugh.gif

Edit: When I breed an egg for a specific trade, I try to name the dragons I own in the lineage.

Edited by Naughtrish

I do name all my dragons, but there is very little rhyme or reason to it xd.png I'm trying to get caught up on all the common breeds after an extensive hiatus, so I have lots of CBs at the moment... When I /do/ get a lined dragon, I take the parent's names into consideration when I can :>