_Sin_

ANSWERED:Distributing New Prizes/Special/Limited Dragons

No, not at all.

Invoke, conjure, summon all have the same meanings used in this way. smile.gif

Thank you. I was not sure since in my main languages the sound is similar to conspiracy-related activities :-)

Thank you. I was not sure since in my main languages the sound is similar to conspiracy-related activities :-)

blink.gif what IS your native language?

blink.gif what IS your native language?

Oops... Since I'm a mutt... Portuguese, Italian and French...

In Italian "congiura" is a conspiracy. In Portuguese, "conjura" is still a conspiracy but "conjuro" is something magic :-) Don't get me started I can babble for hours about etymology

Oops... Since I'm a mutt... Portuguese, Italian and French...

In Italian "congiura" is a conspiracy. In Portuguese, "conjura" is still a conspiracy but "conjuro" is something magic :-) Don't get me started I can babble for hours about etymology

Yay, I love etymology, but I native speak english(well, American, people will tell you there is a difference.) and did French in high school.

What was our topic? Oh, words!

Conjured on: will probably give negative-magic vibes

Invoked on: will just confuse people because I estimate half won't know the word and half will go 'that's not what that means'

Called on: is somewhat vague but serviceable.

Summon is honestly the proper word, alas it is in use....

ETA: conjure and invoke both get negative marks from their (mostly proper) use by charletins, depending on how much one might know about the subject.

Edited by amthystfire

Yay, I love etymology, but I native speak english(well, American, people will tell you there is a difference.) and did French in high school.

What was our topic? Oh, words!

Conjured on: will probably give negative-magic vibes

Invoked on: will just confuse people because I estimate half won't know the word and half will go 'that's not what that means'

Called on: is somewhat vague but serviceable.

Summon is honestly the proper word, alas it is in use....

ETA: conjure and invoke both get negative marks from their (mostly proper) use by charletins, depending on how much one might know about the subject.

Luckily, we don't have these associations in English depending upon, I suppose, which novels you've read, lol.

And we do have online dictionaries to link to in order to illustrate the meanings of words, for those unaware of them.

(Just to mention, you invoke or conjure up something magically, there's no need for an 'on' following in any of these cases. smile.gif )

Edit: whoops, forgot to add also that the topic here isn't actually 'words' but the search for a suitable term for summoning, invoking, conjuring up or calling forth dragon eggs by magic.

If you can think of any more suitable, or of anything constructive to do with the suggestion-in-progress for which a name is being sought, please join the brainstorming. smile.gif

Edited by Syphoneira

"Entice"?

Nice one!

And the "on" is for the "egg obtained On" part of the discussion. Just to clarify. I don't personally have a problem with these words, but I am trying to more play devil's advocate...these may be genuine problems we encounter, I have encountered some issue IRL with such words.

Just how can you entice an egg?

-snip-

Basically, what Fuzzbucket already said.

Sorry, no matter how much you "praise" these suggestions - I do not like them for the most part. For the reasons I stated in my previous post(s) here or in the other threads.

To add an element of direct PVP competition is likely to negatively impact some players, however. One might argue that, just as in the non-competitive scenarios, no one has to participate; the trouble is that people may decide not to participate based on very different reasons, i.e. that they know they don't have a prayer of getting the high score when pitted against people who have far more time to dedicate to learning the minigame, or the points don't roll over, or whatever other reason. In the same way, the addition of another annual event increases pressure on players to plan around the event, do more balancing acts with real life vs. DC, or simply accept the fact that they can't participate due to schedules or some other reason and simply walk away with a negative feeling.

People deciding themselves that they do not participate for whatever reason is their own choice they made, the responsibility lies with them and not with the organisators. The base is: everyone is welcome to participate in the event and give their best for something they want. Taking all player's schedules into account just seems unreasonable. Because no matter what or how you plan something, not everybody around the globe can participate.

And to your last paragraph: thoughts are free. Even if I do not write them down here most of the time wink.gif

Basically, what Fuzzbucket already said.

Sorry, no matter how much you "praise" these suggestions - I do not like them for the most part. For the reasons I stated in my previous post(s) here or in the other threads.

People deciding themselves that they do not participate for whatever reason is their own choice they made, the responsibility lies with them and not with the organisators. The base is: everyone is welcome to participate in the event and give their best for something they want. Taking all player's schedules into account just seems unreasonable. Because no matter what or how you plan something, not everybody around the globe can participate.

And to your last paragraph: thoughts are free. Even if I do not write them down here most of the time wink.gif

The really cool thing about DC which has attracted many long-term players is that it's not a highly competitive game.

Those who weren't competitive were enticed in by the prospect of 'saving baby dragons', not that of beating other players, as on so many other game sites we'd never join.

Those who could not afford new/fast computers/connections or who had additional time to spend on DC because of ill health/disabilities, retirement or anything else also potentially related to reduced speed could play here and still eventually get virtually every dragon.

The Raffles were great because they were a means of distributing something special (the only CB Prize dragons available) within the community without regard to computer/connection speed, age, disability or anything other than the good fortune of the random toss of the Dragon Gods, lol.

Yet offspring of these could be spread throughout the community so that everyone could ultimately gain access to the sprites.

DC forms a rare and very special niche among game sites for a large pool of potential players often having little other option, unlike more competitive others preferring sites among the common run with high rarities/unobtainable/limited sprites.

It also has a community, consisting (I suspect) largely of people who care about that community and prefer that DC works as well as possible to make everyone as happy as possible within the framework of the DC world, even though no large disparate group is ever going to agree on everything.

Not everyone likes the Raffle, and some choose not to participate in that either.

But for most of us, it's fun, win or not, even if we regret some of the attendant issues, hopefully now in the process of being reduced. smile.gif

A lot of us are here to relax and have fun collecting/breeding/gifting/trading dragons in our leisure time, not to have a hard time and no hope of getting dragons we want/need.

As LibbyLishy so eloquently said: '... To ask for a non-competitive scenario is to continue to allow everyone to carry on in their chosen play style, simply offering a new option for those who are interested, with the greatest likelihood of maintaining a positive experience for the player base at large by giving them the satisfaction of earning their way to a coveted prize if that's what they desire or ignoring the existence of such an element and carrying on with hunting and trading as usual. ...'

That's the aim, at any rate. smile.gif

Choice is a marvelous thing.

I am not in favor of using "invoked" or "enticed." If etymology is such a problem, consider using "discovered" or "obtained." (As Fuzz noted.) The magical feel may be lost, but these words work within context.

Edited by Jazeki

I am not in favor of using "invoked" or "enticed." If etymology is such a problem, consider using "discovered" or "obtained." (As Fuzz noted.) The magical feel may be lost, but these words work within context.

Ooooops!

Guess I'm posting in the wrong thread - sorry, I thought the mana/magic thing was under consideration! laugh.gif

I should probably stop posting until I feel a little better/less groggy - seem to be chronically confoozled lately, lol.

...What is this even supposed to mean, especially with reference to my post? I was asking you not to judge the overall motives of people who support and make suggestions like the current minigame-prize threads, at least not in text form, because I am sick to death of people looking down their nose at me and at others who have discussed and are supporting them. Fortunately, some of the people who don't support are still being pleasant and acting with the impression that people are suggesting such things with the best of intentions. You don't have to support the ideas. But don't use "the motives behind it" as your reason for not liking it. This is what I said in the paragraph you purport to be addressing:

And finally, I'd ask that you not judge the motives of all those who support suggestions like the store or the rewards plan. Though I'm not saying that this IS what you in particular are saying, I have grown very tired of people deciding that everyone who wants to obtain eggs in ways that are not cave-hunting are greedy or lazy or just wanting to change things to their own advantage. I would like to correct that impression. I, as are many of the others who support such suggestions, am content with the way things are. I accept the way they are and continue to try to operate based on how the game is currently played. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to improve it where I believe it could be improved. Your mileage may vary as to what improvement looks like - I know you and I have had some disagreements in other suggestions on that. But please don't assume that my interest, and others' interest, in the suggestions currently under discussion is based on "wrong" motives.

I made no reference as to thought not being free, or you not being free to think what you want - in fact, I stated quite plainly that what looks like improvement to me might not look like improvement to you, and vice versa. I do not think yet another annual event will improve things for the site. You do not think a minigame will, either. We can leave it at that. But when you said:

...people seem eager to add elements that might affect everybody else in their scroll goals/gameplay so "everybody can be a winner with effort". Even if, as in my case, people do not want to be winners all the time. Even if, as in my case, people do not want to be winners all the time...  it's just the "dimensions" and motives behind these suggestions which concern me as well.

...well, that's offensive to me.

Think what you want. But know that when you claim to know the motives of people supporting (or opposing) a suggestion, you will offend and you will misunderstand those people.

-snip-

As long as I stay polite and do not use names I can state whatever reason I want, thank you. Even if you do not like what I say. We all have the same rights here and are entitled to an opinion. Posting my own suggestions certainly taught me a few things. If you think somebody said something offensive you can push the "report" button. Moving on is also an option - that´s what I learnt from another user here and it was an awesome advice for me personally. Because nobody here is forced to reply.

I really do not think that stating "how much you are sick of something here" leads to anything. If I were another person you might just have offended me by telling me indirectly, or by assuming, that I am one of these people doing what you are sick of ("motives behind the suggestions" can mean anything, really). And I guess the other people you are addressing in particular do not take such comments well either.

-snip-

I agree with what you say. I am all for chilling and having fun, that's exactly why I am against such elements tongue.gif

However (in my opinion):

a.) DC might lose it's individuality by implementing a permanent store/game.

b.) Knowing that I could earn the caveborns of several dragons would most likely affect me and my scroll goals => I would have to use the new element(s) (affecting my gameplay). Old CB Holidays? Well, what am I doing with the non-caveborns on my scroll which I raised the past DC holidays? (Not sure. Releasing?) And judging from my past experiences, I do not do well with such elements or sites which have them - frankly speaking, I would hate to see them here. I love DC enough to try to accept these things if they get implemented, but the first reaction will most likely be "D:".

c.) While non-competitive scenarios do have their positive sites, they have one particular downside: they might get tedious rather fast. Everyone having the same whatever is not "spicy". I personally also do not think that "saving" up for a reward/prize is very interesting. I already have to pay my monthly bills for our house etc., do I see these things as prizes? Rather not.

d.) Insert something else I wanted to write but forgot, maybe later...

I guess it just depends to what TJ would like to have, after thinking about everything. As with all suggestions. We can talk all what we want, it might happen. Or it will never happen.

In my opinion, as an HM winner, I feel like this and similar ideas would really detract from raffles and it would also put a damper on some people's play styles and trade in a way. I like having something to strive for when it comes to trading for prizes, it's something hard for me to obtain and I like that. I like the fact that not everyone has everything, it makes it interesting and it makes trading fun. Raffles would no longer be fun because you would just be winning something you can get by just playing the game and it wouldn't be special anymore really.

If special dragons like prizes and CB hollies and things are incorporated into things like this they will cease to be special is really how I feel summed up.

Edited by mo7

I'm with Mondat and Mo7 and agree with them. I don't like this idea either. I'm against any idea that allows Prize dragons/past CB Holiday dragons to be gotten by the masses through any means other than the raffle or being there when they were released. Period.

Edited by MedievalMystic

In my opinion, as an HM winner, I feel like this and similar ideas would really detract from raffles and it would also put a damper on some people's play styles and trade in a way. I like having something to strive for when it comes to trading for prizes, it's something hard for me to obtain and I like that. I like the fact that not everyone has everything, it makes it interesting and it makes trading fun. Raffles would no longer be fun because you would just be winning something you can get by just playing the game and it wouldn't be special anymore really.

If special dragons like prizes and CB hollies and things are incorporated into things like this they will cease to be special is really how I feel summed up.

HMs are (this year anyway) no longer available in the raffle. What's wrong with being able to get them in another way ?

I am a mite devil's advocate-y here, as as long as there is nothing in there (other than HM style eggs) that cannot be got in the cave, I don't mind either way. If there WERE - then I would be agin it as it would be forcing people to change play style to get every sprite there is.

As another HM winner, I don't mind seeing originally-HM-listed dragons on other scrolls, too, even though my chosen dragon brought me plenty of pretty things that I couldn't have acquired otherwise. However, my playstyle doesn't depend on that ONE time I got lucky.

Well, there are still many "special" things you cannot obtain easily - like 2nd gens from spriter's alts, all available prize lines, 2nd gens from frills or old pinks, all 2nd gen thuweds, a 2nd gen dorkface...

Last but not least, I think that trading can hardly get worse than it already is. Pretty much all active threads are overshadowed by offers of prizes / 2nd gen prizekins in exchange for CB shinies or the other way around. I hope that, with the arrival of 600 new prize dragons, we'll see a lessened demand on prizes and a return of interest in other things. In essence, the existence of prizes has put a dampener on many people's play styles that has lasted for four years now.

If you mean that special = exclusive, then you're very right.

I'm against any idea that allows Prize dragons/past CB Holiday dragons to be gotten by the masses through any means other than the raffle or being there when they were released. Period.
You couldn't have worded this in a less condescending manner, could you? Edited by olympe

There was nothing 'condescending' about my reply and that certainly wasn't how I meant it.

mass

noun

the majority of.

"the great mass of the population had little interest in the project"

synonyms: majority, greater part/number, best/better part, major part, bulk, main body, lion's share; most

"the mass of our students are licensed drivers"

the ordinary people.

plural noun: the masses

synonyms: common people, populace, public, people, rank and file, crowd, proletariat; More

Edited by MedievalMystic

synonyms: common people, populace, public, people, rank and file, crowd, proletariat; More

"common" people as in "not the special ones who won"

"proletariat" as in "have-nots"

Also compare to this, under 4.

the masses [PLURAL] ordinary people who are not rich or famous. This word usually shows that you think ordinary people are not important or intelligent

Your reply sure shows me that you don't consider "the masses" to be intelligent enough to even realize they're being insulted.

Edited by olympe

Olympe, I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over my reply. Pick it apart till Armageddon gets here if you like. I said what I had to say and as far as I'm concerned, that's the end of it. If you take exception to what I had to say, report it.

Your reply sure shows me that you don't consider "the masses" to be intelligent enough to even realize they're being insulted.

Don't put freaking words in my mouth or presume to know what I meant better than I do, thanks. You're seeing monsters under the bed that don't exist.

Edited by MedievalMystic

As another HM winner, I don't mind seeing originally-HM-listed dragons on other scrolls, too, even though my chosen dragon brought me plenty of pretty things that I couldn't have acquired otherwise. However, my playstyle doesn't depend on that ONE time I got lucky.

No indeed. But it would have to change if - as some have suggested - actual breeds NOT obtainable in cave were available through this or the points through activity system (which I MUCH prefer) suggested in another thread.

Of course, availability of things changes how people are acting. However, complete lack of availability is not a huge help for activity at all.