_Sin_

ANSWERED:Distributing New Prizes/Special/Limited Dragons

No indeed. But it would have to change if - as some have suggested - actual breeds NOT obtainable in cave were available through this or the points through activity system (which I MUCH prefer) suggested in another thread.

Fuzz, I don't think it would have to change. If people want to experience the "special" dragons by way of raffle only, they're certainly welcome to only try their luck by entering the raffle to get them as opposed to playing a mini-game or doing random DC activities to get them. The offspring (2nd gen +) sprites would be able to be received as gifts, traded for, or found in the AP. It's really up to the user to decide how much they want the "special" dragons to affect their playing style.

To everyone in general, if you win a raffle prize, your prize is still special in that you won it during the actual raffle. You get a cool code (if you want) and yet, many of your dragons are going to be the same as other users. There are CB Christmases already in the cave (hollies, even). There is a non-HM CB alt black. There are many other winners with CB prizes (hundreds now). There will be many more. Your prize is going to be special to your scroll, you. It can only cease to be special if you no longer feel that it is special anymore.

These suggestions will probably not result in an explosion of prizes and HMs on people's scrolls and people will still probably be ready and willing to trade for or ask for offspring. They will still feel that people who have these dragons when they do not are lucky.

(Also, I'm not for doing pre-releases or retiring breeds and making them available through mini games or anything like that with these suggestions).

Raffle prizes - sure, raffle only. I am actually all for that. But I don't mind if they are also available in other ways.

But there have been suggestions that we use this idea to clear some of the list of completed dragons by releasing them only for people who play some game or other,. That is NOT OK with me, and it WOULD mean the game had to change,

Raffle prizes - sure, raffle only. I am actually all for that. But I don't mind if they are also available in other ways.

But there have been suggestions that we use this idea to clear some of the list of completed dragons by releasing them only for people who play some game or other,. That is NOT OK with me, and it WOULD mean the game had to change,

I don't agree with that either. I think that those dragons should be released as TJ sees fit.

Agreed.

I think that those dragons should be released as TJ sees fit.

Agreed.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I don't think any of us should be trying to add ways to get more dragons released to these suggestions, not as exclusive ways to obtain them at least. As for the Completed List, I'm going to oppose any suggestion that would require TJ to go through and use a whole bunch of dragons from there to make it work.

If he wants to make something like the Remote Biomes suggestion he can make it work separate from this. Requiring using a mini-game or points or anything to gain access smacks of exclusivity. No, I don't support that at all. I may have liked the idea at one time a bit, but no longer. If it's going to be in-cave it needs to be accessible to everyone, including people who are just picking up their first egg.

As for mini-game suggestions, people keep asking for ways to be able to redesign their trees and wreaths, their gingerbread house, and so forth. I think it would be a rather nice thing if those were considered mini-games and could be re-played to earn some points. I counted at least 6 that would work if TJ were ok with it. And just because there's no "win point" to redecorating things doesn't mean people wouldn't enjoy doing them.

As for mini-game suggestions, people keep asking for ways to be able to redesign their trees and wreaths, their gingerbread house, and so forth. I think it would be a rather nice thing if those were considered mini-games and could be re-played to earn some points. I counted at least 6 that would work if TJ were ok with it. And just because there's no "win point" to redecorating things doesn't mean people wouldn't enjoy doing them.

I would love this, even without "points"!

Especially my wreath. I am so glad I put up a "placeholder decoration" to it, rather than leaving it empty, because I missed the final day to redesign it.

Attack the topic not each other, everyone is allowed an opinion.

It is not acceptable for members to call any member out on the forum. Use the report tool that is what its for. Derailing a topic to debate whether a member insulted or not is pointless, it's also less then enjoyable to read.

I love this, points or no points. This is a great idea. Personally, I would totally enjoy being able to play around with gingerbread house, wreath, etc, again, just for fun. Those things as mini games would be fantastic. smile.gif

Edited by MedievalMystic

I love this, points or no points. This is a great idea. Personally, I would totally enjoy being able to play around with gingerbread house, wreath, etc, again, just for fun. Those things as mini games would be fantastic. smile.gif

Coming back here to add, as much as I would enjoy it, I think it the past it was turned down because only those there for the event have each of these items.

That said, so many people are sad about exclusive badges and all already. Why not bring these events back, and for those who weren't here for the event, simply clicking to view someone else's would give them the option to add that badge (or a recolored after-the-fact version) and activity to their scroll?

Just a thought.

Why not bring these events back, and for those who weren't here for the event, simply clicking to view someone else's would give them the option to add that badge (or a recolored after-the-fact version) and activity to their scroll?

Sounds good to me. I like the idea of a recolored version of the badges for newer players.

Edited by MedievalMystic

I was assuming that Brilliant Coder TJ would be able to make it so those who weren't here could have all the stuff to use. Even those who were here but weren't able to log in to receive all the stuff at that time could have all the stuff. All the people who experienced that weird bug that messed up their trees could fix them.

the artwork for all these exist already, so no new artwork needed except possibly recoloring the badges. I assume that TJ still has the code laying around somewhere too. (unless he's not like the coders I'm related to, who never delete anything code related)

Maybe we can get back on topic? blink.gif

Fuzz, I don't think it would have to change. If people want to experience the "special" dragons by way of raffle only, they're certainly welcome to only try their luck by entering the raffle to get them as opposed to playing a mini-game or doing random DC activities to get them. The offspring (2nd gen +) sprites would be able to be received as gifts, traded for, or found in the AP.  It's really up to the user to decide how much they want the "special" dragons to affect their playing style.

To everyone in general, if you win a raffle prize, your prize is still special in that you won it during the actual raffle. You get a cool code (if you want) and yet, many of your dragons are going to be the same as other users. There are CB Christmases already in the cave (hollies, even). There is a non-HM CB alt black.  There are many other winners with CB prizes (hundreds now). There will be many more. Your prize is going to be special to your scroll, you. It can only cease to be special if you no longer feel that it is special anymore.

There are CB Christmases already in the cave because they were released in the cave in the past and people were there to get them. The one non-HM CB Alt Black you are mentioning is the bossman's Thuwed, I assume?

Jazeki, you (and probably others) say that people are free to take part in the raffle only to get the "special" dragons without using any of the new elements, so please let me ask you a question:

Considering that certain dragons should be made available through new elements although these dragons were only obtainable by winning in the raffle or by being around when the sprites were released, why is it necessary to implement that caveborns of these dragons are obtained in a new way?

Hybrids and Alts are breed-able only at present, everybody can have the sprite as 2G. You can get bred holidays during holiday breeding season in the AP. We already have masses of Tinsels/Shimmers flying around - there are people complaining about seeing so many trade offers with them, even in this thread. Now with 600 new prizes one could argue that there'll be no end of sight with this "issue", considering there might be people who would like to collect all the lines.

Then, you write "It can only cease to be special if you no longer feel that it is special anymore" in your last sentence => if they feel the prize is not special anymore because it can be obtained in a shop, it is not special anymore to them. You telling them how their prize stays to be special by winning in the actual raffle or getting a code loses meaning.

Edited because I made it sound like CB Thuweds are available xd.png I should not browse the forum in the morning!

Edited by Mondat

There are CB Christmases already in the cave because they were released in the cave in the past and people were there to get them. The one non-HM CB Alt Black you are mentioning is the bossman's Thuwed, I assume? As with all his other CB dragons, these can be only obtained by getting a place on the Thuwed list.

Jazeki, you (and probably others) say that people are free to take part in the raffle only to get the "special" dragons without using any of the new elements, so please let me ask you a question:

Considering that certain dragons should be made available through new elements although these dragons were only obtainable by winning in the raffle, by getting on the Thuwed list or by being around when the sprites were released, why is it necessary to implement that caveborns of these dragons are obtained in a new way?

Hybrids and Alts are breed-able only at present, everybody can have the sprite as 2G. You can get bred holidays during holiday breeding season in the AP. We already have masses of Tinsels/Shimmers flying around - there are people complaining about seeing so many trade offers with them, even in this thread. Now with 600 new prizes one could argue that there'll be no end of sight with this "issue", considering there might be people who would like to collect all the lines.

Then, you write "It can only cease to be special if you no longer feel that it is special anymore" in your last sentence => if they feel the prize is not special anymore because it can be obtained in a shop, it is not special anymore to them. You telling them how their prize stays to be special by winning in the actual raffle or getting a code loses meaning.

I admit that I had to go back and read through the thread to find what I was replying to in addition to Fuzz's comment. It was in reference to Mo7's post where HMs and prizes would suddenly lose value because they would be available by other means than the raffle.

There is a non-HM alt black that is not TJ's. It was obtained by a glitch.

To answer your question of "why is it necessary to have these other options available?", I'm going to say that it's not necessary. TJ doesn't have to do any of this. The site is not going to grind to a halt because HMs and past holidays are no longer available and the raffle is over. But, I'm going to say that it's a nice option to allow users a chance at getting previously available HM dragons/prize dragons without having to wait a year between raffles to get prizes (or miss out on any other chance ever [as of right now] with HMs and past holidays).

The winner's prize (or HM) is special because it's a prize in the truest sense of the word. The user won it as opposed to working for it [in the store]. Prizes mostly have a unique code. The users know that they won the prize. The date on their dragons will show that they're raffle prizes. Really, the only people who decide to devalue the raffle prize dragons because of the ones that are bought (or won in later raffles) are the people who feel that the raffle prizes are suddenly worth less. That is what I mean by my comment. There is no guarantee that the prizes (and their resulting offspring) will suddenly plummet in value (or skyrocket) because they can be obtained by some other means.

Edited by Jazeki

I admit that I had to go back and read through the thread to find what I was replying to in addition to Fuzz's comment. It was in reference to Mo7's post where HMs  and prizes would suddenly lose value because they would be available by other means than the raffle.

There is a non-HM alt black that is not TJ's. It was obtained by a glitch.

To answer your question of  "why is it necessary to have these other options available?", I'm going to say that it's not necessary. TJ doesn't have to do any of this. The site is not going to grind to a halt because HMs and past holidays are no longer available and the raffle is over.  But, I'm going to say that it's a nice option to allow users a chance at getting previously available HM dragons/prize dragons without having to wait a year between raffles to get prizes (or miss out on any other chance ever [as of right now] with HMs and past holidays). 

The winner's prize (or HM) is special because it's a prize in the truest sense of the word. The user  won it as opposed to working for it [in the store]. Prizes mostly have a unique code. The users know that they won the prize. The date on their dragons will show that they're raffle prizes.  Really, the only people who decide to devalue the raffle prize dragons because of the ones that are bought (or won in later raffles)  are the people who feel that the raffle prizes are suddenly worth less. That is what I mean by my comment.  There is no guarantee that the prizes (and their resulting offspring)  will suddenly plummet in value (or skyrocket) because they can be obtained by some other means.

And I had to edit my post because of what I wrote regarding the Thuweds - I know that everyone can get a 2G from a CB Alt/Hybrid Thuwed when you are on the list. I was clearly lacking in concentration when I posted my previous reply. Ehemehem.

Thanks for replying to my question.

Regarding "prizes still being special or not": I think that (for any of us, who aren't winners) deciding whether a prize continues to be "special" or not is rather problematic. It's a personal feeling and differs from person to person.

Yes, the users know they won it at the raffle. Yes, the date probably shows they're raffle dragons (what if people later buy the prizes on the day raffle prizes are being sent out, though? Haha). Yes, the prizes may have a unique code.

However I can also perfectly understand prize winners who say "they won't be special anymore once they can be bought". It is not only about trading value the whole time.

My HM dragon will always be special to me, no matter how many others will be out there one day. And I do hope there will be others to make pretty lineages with - and my dragon might be part in many of those new lineages because it's still so special.

That's just my 2 cents, being somebody who hasn't won a Prize dragon, but a prize nonetheless. smile.gif

I would love this idea!

The possibility to get a cb prize or a HH or maybe even better a new "prize" created for this purpose, that can only be obtained by playing mana alchemy.

You may need to get a VERY HIGH score at mana alchemy, or maybe to collect some special mana that only appear VERY RARELY when you play. In both cases it would be something related to your dedication and not only to pure luck.

However I can also perfectly understand prize winners who say "they won't be special anymore once they can be bought". It is not only about trading value the whole time.

Yes, I know it's not about trade value the whole time. I was referring to the general sentiment of "It's not special because now everyone else has one/ That person has one too, so now I don't want it anymore." I can understand why winners and other users would feel that way, but I was also pointing out that they do not own the only prize or HM dragon in existence, so the sentiment is lost on me.

To me the dragons are more than just status symbols (the status being winner) and I feel like everyone should have a chance to get a prize or an HM without having to wait forever and a day to do so.

Bump. Because I really, really want to bring back Mana Alchemy.

Do we need to get the game back via this, though? I'd much rather have the store and some other way to play Mana Alchemy.

Do we need to get the game back via this, though? I'd much rather have the store and some other way to play Mana Alchemy.

We do not need to do anything. This suggestion preceded the store, focused on games, in particular Mana Alchemy, as a way to earn dragons and TJ posted enough on it to make me guess he was interested on the concept.

And someone proposed already "some other way to play Mana Alchemy"...

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=165674&st=0

Edited by SullenCat

We do not need to do anything. This suggestion preceded the store, focused  on games, in particular Mana Alchemy, as a way to earn dragons and TJ posted enough on it to make me guess he was interested on the concept.

Okay, I wasn't personally putting emphasis on the need.... Again, if we are looking for ways to earn exclusive dragons, just putting out there that I, personally, would prefer the store. IIRC they mentioned in that thread that games could be used, as well.

If you're more inclined to trying to find a way to get the game back, though, there was this thread that suggested to bring back this particular game as well as the 2014 stories. Could probably be added that other games/stories could be brought back, too.

Edit: Because I see you found that yourself, as well.

Edited by Areous

Mana Alchemy was fun - but PLEASE let's not have grinding by games to get eggs sad.gif

We could use the store. The game would be pleasing - but as a stand-alone, not as an earning mechanism.

Okay, I wasn't personally putting emphasis on the need.... Again, if we are looking for ways to earn exclusive dragons, just putting out there that I, personally, would prefer the store. IIRC they mentioned in that thread that games could be used, as well.

I understand that you prefer the store. Your opinion, everybody got one. Allow me to have and express mine. I see no reason why I should not bring this thread back since I like this option as well.

Mana Alchemy was fun - but PLEASE let's not have grinding by games to get eggs sad.gif

We could use the store. The game would be pleasing - but as a stand-alone, not as an earning mechanism.

The way the store thread is evolving, it is sounding quite a lot like grinding. You will not mind if I prefer earning while playing a game I like over the store grinding mechanisms.

Edited by SullenCat

I understand that you prefer the store. Your opinion, everybody got one. Allow me to have and express mine. I see no reason why I should not bring this thread back since I like this option as well.

Lol I wasn't at all saying you couldn't have an opinion. You literally bumped the thread because you wanted the game back... So, I linked a thread that had a suggestion for bringing the game back.