MessengerDragon

Solstice Sprites

I prefer the sunset wings, personally, and my lineages were all based on the mates complimenting that coloration. Not that I dislike the blue or anything, I'm just disappointed that my lines won't come out as nicely as I originally planned.

No one hacked anything. Someone figured out that your scroll number could tell you what type of Snow Angel color you would get, and were telling other people so they could figure it out in advance. TJ got angry that the surprise had been ruined, made all the sprites the gold wing version, and then finally made them varied again. IIRC the poor suckers who found out the trick behind it had their scrolls burned. It was not my favorite DC Christmas.

Came here to post this, but I see you've beaten me to it (with more detail than I could have added, my memory is spotty -- did not remember the 'every Snow Angel is gold-winged' variant in-between, for example!). Thanks for the history. smile.gif

The quotation marks and use of 'once again' make it hard to believe you're truly sympathetic. I don't begrudge people who are happy with getting blue ones, but since 95% of things on DC are what you see is what you get, getting a wrench thrown into the works during a limited breeding season (especially a wrench that suggests DC might be taking yet ANOTHER step into the loathsome 'more exclusives' territory that drove me away from many other adoptables sites) isn't my idea of a great time. I mean, exclusives in the past have generally been met with the same reaction... I can't fathom why another exclusive would be added accordingly, especially without explanation. Which is why I am still hopeful that there's a twist to things.

Me, too. I just wish that TJ would see fit to explain what is going on.

When they first came out I thought there was so much going on on them that I felt was unneeded. I prefer the blue ones over the sunset as I feel it strikes that perfect balance between simplicity and detail. I haven't been active lately and I pretty much forgot these guys existed, but after seeing the solid blue wings I feel they have a bigger impact. I'm pretty sad that I don't have any bred solstices. I skipped out to get some hatchlings for freezing. I have one solstice I can breed though so it's okay. Just got to find a mate for it that will look good.

Since this is my first DC Christmas, I was really hoping to get Sosltices (they're my favorites, and I love the way they look) and while I'm okay with the blue wings, it just seems a little monochromatic. The red had a little bit of 'pop' to it that I adored, and I really hope this isn't some exclusive change like other people are talking about. Maybe it will alternate each year, like someone else mentioned. I really hope so, because I loved the original sprite and I don't want to be shafted just because I got here a year late sad.gif

But, when all's said and done, I got the Solstices, and even without the red they still look gorgeous. So I'm aggressively neutral about it, I guess.

Edited by Lumikkja

The quotation marks and use of 'once again' make it hard to believe you're truly sympathetic.

It's not that I lack a certain amount of sympathy for people here, it's that I just can't take being miserable over a game seriously. Not anymore.

Last Christmas my family sat in this house from October through the end of February with no electricity, no lights, no running water, and no food in temps below freezing. You could see your breath in this house. We went to the neighbors house to get buckets of water to flush the toilets and we existed off of the little food the neighbors and my ex husband gave us. We showered at the neighbors once a week, if that. We were freezing and starving. I lost 60 lbs in those months. It changed me for all eternity....for the better. I really value the little things in life like I never did before. Now I know what real misery is. Nothing much bothers me anymore. I can flip on the lights now and they come on. Life is good. Go through something like what we endured and sweating pixels seems pretty damn silly. Just thought I'd explain my lack of real sympathy so you'd understand it.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Personally I like the blue winged ones. I can see why people are upset, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

I feel better with my rant now. Yay~

So hey, what if this pink and blue coloration is actually a representation of the fact that we have two solstices, the summer and the winter solstice? At this point, I think they'll alternate somehow, if this concept is correct.

At least we have hope for the pinkish ones. :3

I feel better with my rant now. Yay~

So hey, what if this pink and blue coloration is actually a representation of the fact that we have two solstices, the summer and the winter solstice? At this point, I think they'll alternate somehow, if this concept is correct.

At least we have hope for the pinkish ones. :3

I wonder that, too. I think everyone would feel better if TJ confirmed that that was the case.

The drama here seems to be related to the fact that no announcement was made and no one KNOWS.

if they alternate every year, that's be cool. if it's random, that's be cool. if i'm not able to get one of the sprites because i missed last christmas? that's not cool.

Edited by Lady Artemis

We need more people to go click on mana crystals. It's probable something in the story relates to it :3

The news post for the event did say 'presents' might be forthcoming after the event. At first I thought it meant the raffle, then I thought maybe we'd see some new BSAs or site features, but maybe this is part of it? Gah, such confusion X___x

When they first came out I thought there was so much going on on them that I felt was unneeded. I prefer the blue ones over the sunset as I feel it strikes that perfect balance between simplicity and detail. I haven't been active lately and I pretty much forgot these guys existed, but after seeing the solid blue wings I feel they have a bigger impact. I'm pretty sad that I don't have any bred solstices. I skipped out to get some hatchlings for freezing. I have one solstice I can breed though so it's okay. Just got to find a mate for it that will look good.

I prefer the pink ones because it really does bring to mind auroras and dawn, and because it's a departure from the "winter dargon equal BLUE" theme we see in so many other dragons like the frostbites, winters, ices, etc. I can concur with valuing simplicity--Christmas dragons are the one Holiday type I never really have lineage plans with, because so many of them are SO complex color wise--but I thought that little pink blush gave it just the right balance without being too crazy.

Also, if you're not someone who's set on getting Holidays on the actual Holiday, you could use Christmas evening for breeding / catching Solstices and then grab your new Christmases on the third day of drops, after the breeding season ends. smile.gif

Last Christmas my family sat in this house from October through the end of February with no electricity, no lights, no running water, and no food in temps below freezing. You could see your breath in this house. We went to the neighbors house to get buckets of water to flush the toilets and we existed off of the little food the neighbors and my ex husband gave us. We showered at the neighbors once a week, if that. We were freezing and starving. I lost 60 lbs in those months. It changed me for all eternity....for the better. I really value the little things in life like I never did before. Now I know what real misery is. Nothing much bothers me anymore. I can flip on the lights now and they come on. Life is good. Go through something like what we endured and sweating pixels seems pretty damn silly. Just thought I'd explain my lack of real sympathy so you'd understand it.

Oh wow, that's awful, and I can definitely see why you view things as you do then. I hope you and your family have a much, much better Christmas this year. ;;

I'll agree that what happens on one small adoptables game isn't a huge deal in the grand scheme of things--as you well know, it sounds like--but I also don't feel it's a huge deal to take a few minutes to explain my reasons for being annoyed with such changes and hoping the powers that be take notice. I was diagnosed with mild OCD and anxiety when I was a kid, and while it doesn't have a huge impact on my life, it does mean I choose relatively "close world" games like Zelda, Pokemon, etc over some of the sprawling open world games that are offered nowadays. I chose DC originally for the same reasons--it didn't have penalties for joining late, and exclusives were really limited in scope (I think past CB Holidays were the only 'unobtainable' thing when I joined), so it satisfied my need to feel I could collect everything and not stress over "will I miss something forever if I don't log in RIGHT NOW??"

Obviously I've been able to weather some things going exclusive--otherwise I wouldn't still be here--but for the reasons above (and some others) I hate such changes enough to protest them, even if a few weeks from now I'll just sigh and stop thinking about it.

We need more people to go click on mana crystals. It's probable something in the story relates to it :3

Maybe a certain Avatar of Change has created a change-related curse in return for a certain SOMEONE beating him about the head with her wings... lD;;

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I think everyone would feel better if TJ confirmed that that was the case.

It would be nice if TJ explained the situation instead of leaving everyone hanging, wondering what happened and why.

Oh wow, that's awful, and I can definitely see why you view things as you do then. I hope you and your family have a much, much better Christmas this year. ;;

It's fine, ADP, thank you. I didn't tell you that for sympathy. I just wanted to explain the reason behind my attitude. Things happen in life and you get through it. That situation made me a better, stronger person all around and I'm glad I went through that believe it or not. Life is good now. Ahhhh, hot tea and coffee...who'd have thought something so small, so taken for granted, was so wonderful? lol smile.gif

I understand everyone's frustration with this and the impact on lineages upsetting people...but I really don't want this little surprise from TJ to make people angry or truly unhappy. It's not worth it. It pains me to think that people would allow something unexpected like this on a game to ruin even one minute of one day. I get the frustration and there's nothing wrong with feeling that way, but don't let it make you miserable.

Edited by MedievalMystic

No one hacked anything. Someone figured out that your scroll IIRC the poor suckers who found out the trick behind it had their scrolls burned. It was not my favorite DC Christmas.

Edit: Actually maybe scrolls weren't burned--one of the first people to figure it out still seems to be around at least. Too long ago to remember everything 100% I guess. >___<

No, they weren't burned. I'll clear that up before rumours spread. It - however is why reverse engineering site mechanics is banned.

I sort of like the blue ones better. I have both sprites and I think the blue ones go better with a lot of the blue dragons that we have. I can understand people's frustration, but I don't think they should be completely taken away because they don't meet people's breeding/collection expectations. If TJ does adjust things (which I doubt he will), I think we should be given a choice if we want to keep the sprites.

This isn't going to look how I pictured it now. I'm a little sad about that. Plus I find the more varied coloration more visually appealing. Oh well.

I have both sprites and I think the blue ones go better with a lot of the blue dragons that we have.

I bred the two CB Solstices that I have with Gold dragons...it looks alright, but really, the blue one goes much better with the Golds, imo.

I bred the two CB Solstices that I have with Gold dragons...it looks alright, but really, the blue one goes much better with the Golds, imo.

I'm waiting to breed my second for another user, but my first one I bred with a GoN and I really think the full-blue winged one matches that sprite better.

Edited by Jazeki

Maybe a certain Avatar of Change has created a change-related curse in return for a certain SOMEONE beating him about the head with her wings... lD;;

OMW... that would be SUCH an amusing explaination! xd.png I would LOL so hard.

Edited by Silverswift

OMW... that would be SUCH an amusing explaination! xd.png I would LOL so hard.

Browbeating powerful magical creatures, especially after one finds oneself mistaken, is usually a bad idea. Or due to the cold they will all turn blue. But I'm guessing since Christmas is tomorrow we don't have that much story left to uncover. Of course, that means if it is related to the story even we find out today or tomorrow.

Maybe they Will change back to their original colors after the Holidays?

I had wondered about this, myself as well. MAYBE a Solstice dragon ONLY gets pink wings after her first Holiday season?

I thought Odie had already commented on the matter, which wouldn't really leave much for me to add.

But yes, this is on purpose (and has always been the intention since they were made).

I'm waiting to breed my second for another user, but my first one I bred with a GoN and I really think the full-blue winged one matches that sprite better.

The full-winged blue sprite matches a lot of mates better, actually. I just wish I hadn't planned my holiday week around matching the rose-tinged sprite instead. Lot of wasted effort right there. :/