MessengerDragon

Solstice Sprites

I feel like I am in the minority here and I am surprised about that.

Maybe if I had never seen the original Solstices with the beautiful blush on their wings then I would love these, but I can't shake the feeling of disappointment. That sprite was definitely my favorite of all the Christmas dragons -- even favored over the Holly -- but now they are just okay.

I paired mine with Sunsongs because of that coloring and now it just all looks so wrong. sad.gif I am no longer even interested in continuing that lineage that I was so excited about and put a great deal of effort into trading for. I have some hatchies with Silver fathers and those will look okay, I guess, because that match doesn't need the pinkish color. I just wish I had known this was going to happen. I would certainly have done things differently.

If this is a "present" then I want to return it!!!

All of THIS.

I try my best to not cause any drama here when there's something I don't like, especially when it's the holidays, but it's hard to hold back when it's Number 1 Favorite Dragon Ever that it's about. sad.gif Sorry to say.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not asking that we throw out the bluewings. A lot of people really love them, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them. I just really want to still be able to get sunset wings and I want new players to be able to have them, too.

Honestly, though, wouldn't it be cool if they alternated every year? So they'd all be bluewings this year, but next year, they'd all be sunset wings again, and then back to bluewings the year after that. We could get our proper checkers next year from our CBs, and be able to work on some really lovely alternating lines from this year's dragons. THAT I could get excited about. It would certainly add some strategy work to the already strategic holiday breeding. laugh.gif

Oh I'm liking that. It will definitely make solstices even more popular too.

I'm on the fence about this. Depending on what the ultimate reason for this is, I may be happy and I may not. If its a generational thing, then I'm fine with it, I have the ability to get a redwing next year thanks to a lucky AP pickup. If not, I can live with it too. I like the design of the Solstice regardless so I was just happy to get one.

I actually really like the blue wings... I seem to be one of the only ones though xd.png

I do agree it's a bad thing if it makes the original sprites unobtainable for new players or those who missed the original release, though. I know I'd be very unhappy if I didn't already have a pair of CBs.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not asking that we throw out the bluewings. A lot of people really love them, and I wouldn't want to take that away from them. I just really want to still be able to get sunset wings and I want new players to be able to have them, too.

Honestly, though, wouldn't it be cool if they alternated every year? So they'd all be bluewings this year, but next year, they'd all be sunset wings again, and then back to bluewings the year after that. We could get our proper checkers next year from our CBs, and be able to work on some really lovely alternating lines from this year's dragons. THAT I could get excited about. It would certainly add some strategy work to the already strategic holiday breeding. laugh.gif

Hmmm... If that were the case, I have decided I could live with that. I'd have to get some more next year so I had both.

That was always my gripe with Snow Angels. It wasn't POSSIBLE to get the other variants.

I didn't get the color of wings I wanted... I have learned to live with the fact and accept the White wing I have for what it is... very tasteful and elegant. I just wish that I could gather some tri-colors as well. sad.gif

I guess only TJ knows for sure... and he isn't telling yet.

Edited by Silverswift

Just found out about this... I like it. I'd like both versions of the dragon to stay. I don't think all the offspring should be blue wings though...I think people should be able to get offspring with both versions by chance.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Just found out about this...  I like it.  I'd like both versions of the dragon to stay.  I don't think all the offspring should be blue wings though...I think people should be able to get offspring with both versions by chance.

You mean that one version or the other is an alt?

Edited by Silverswift

Both the sprites look nice, but I'm disappointed in this change because I planned some of the 2nd-gen solstices I've been breeding/acquiring based on the existing color scheme. If they're going to grow up and just be blue, they're really not going to complement some of the mates I selected anymore.

I think that was me? |D; I double checked the news thread and didn't see any other mentions.

Eggs laid on the 21st won't grow up until at least the 26th, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Personally I think it would make things a bit messy. At least this year. Imagine someone catching two 2nd gens for their checkered lineage and these dragons having different sprites just because they weren't bred on the same day... On the other hand at least they'd be able to rebreed next year and get the sprite they want.

Well, that's a fascinating idea but imo it's a bit too tricky considering that solstices breed only once a year. Either way we'll see smile.gif

Though this might actually benefit me, as I'm doing a checker with Reds for RP reasons, I'd still like both kinds to be available to everyone. Hopefully not left up to chance (I have bad luck with Nebulas), but I'd still want blue AND colored winged Solstices.

I do like the blue wings, but I'd also like for the sunset wings to stay. Like, maybe with a 50/50 chance. I would agree with an alt like with the Blacks and Vines, but we can only get Solstices for one week in the year.

Well, moving on from my opinion... maybe this is linked with the event? The Solstice chapter might shed some light. An eternal winter sweeping the light off of a dragon's wings; something like that. Though I haven't been keeping up with the story.

Just found out about this... I like it. I'd like both versions of the dragon to stay. I don't think all the offspring should be blue wings though...I think people should be able to get offspring with both versions by chance.

Playing an alt gamble with a dragon that doesn't show alt status until adulthood and only breeds one week each year doesn't sound fun. At all. Better than them being completely unavailable, sure, but still a pretty bad fix.

I'm in the Sunsong x Solstice group with a handful of other people here and unless things show signs of changing it looks like the reason for doing the pairing--complimenting the pink blush--is gone. IMO solstices were the prettiest of the Christmas dragons (a feeling I think others share--they get nabbed almost as fast as Hollies), but if the new version is now the only bred version...

Bleh, just annoyed in general. If this was meant to be a gift, some type of announcement should've been made. Right now it's just leaving a big group of people uncomfortable and confused.

I just discovered this, and personally - I think this is awesome!! I feel very pleasantly surprised and I hope this is NOT a glitch, and that it stays as is!

Little surprises like this are fun, and add a little zest to the game - never quite knowing what TJ is going to come up with next. Someone made a comparison about the different colors of Snow Angel wings and honestly, I think it is very clever! Perhaps somebody can't get exactly to the mark what they want - but for me - that is part of the fun and the challenge!

I personally am planning a lineage with these dragons, and I think this contrast will improve my plan - not take away from it! And - I don't think there is anything at all wrong with the concept of a slightly different CB color variant - it may be a bummer for those who didn't get them originally, but that is not anyone's fault!

Regardless, I am thrilled with all my dragons, and very - very happy this Christmas so far - my DC Christmas wish came true, and the rest is just icing on the cake!

Just my two cents! smile.gif

Well, moving on from my opinion... maybe this is linked with the event? The Solstice chapter might shed some light. An eternal winter sweeping the light off of a dragon's wings; something like that. Though I haven't been keeping up with the story.
........ ^^^ This Would Be Totally EPIC!!! ^^^ Edited by LadyAmlaruil2

I'm in the Sunsong x Solstice group with a handful of other people here and unless things show signs of changing it looks like the reason for doing the pairing--complimenting the pink blush--is gone. IMO solstices were the prettiest of the Christmas dragons (a feeling I think others share--they get nabbed almost as fast as Hollies), but if the new version is now the only bred version...

Bleh, just annoyed in general. If this was meant to be a gift, some type of announcement should've been made. Right now it's just leaving a big group of people uncomfortable and confused.

Yeah, this carmine-solstice didn't really come out the way I'd planned it either. http://dragcave.net/lineage/VRK1L

I kinda feel like an idiot for wasting all that time lining up 2nd-gen solstices now that true checker lineages are going to be impossible and combinations with anything pinkish do not look very nice anymore. Oh well, I'll know to get less amped up for Valentines.

I am starting to think that TJ likes to see drama. I was here when the Snow Angels were released, wasn't that enough?

Luckily, I own two CB Solstices... I like the original sprites way better than the blue ones. I bred them both, though. Will have to wait until next year to get them. And I feel bad for the people who won't be able to get the sunset wings, they are gorgeous.

Just found out about this...  I like it.  I'd like both versions of the dragon to stay.  I don't think all the offspring should be blue wings though...I think people should be able to get offspring with both versions by chance.
To me that would just make things worse.

Playing an alt gamble with a dragon that doesn't show alt status until adulthood and only breeds one week each year doesn't sound fun. At all.
Yes, this. So much this.

I really don't like the idea of alternating years, either. To me that will just cause a lot of confusion and won't really help with lineages at all.

From now on I will never be secure in planning lineages with the previous year's releases. sad.gif

Edited by purplehaze

Well this is unexpected. I agree they look much better with GoNs now than they did. And I'm glad I hadn't planned anything with them this year. I just kept a second gen from gold that will still work nicely with another lineage I have.

While I think surprises are nice this type of thing is more like a practical joke due to the people that just spent hours hunting or trading for something that doesn't exist.

You mean that one version or the other is an alt?

Some offspring will be blue wings and others 'blush' wings, totally by chance, you could get either one. If they stay all blue, I'm good with that, too. It's still a gorgeous dragon.

but still a pretty bad fix.

That depends on your perspective.

Some offspring will be blue wings and others 'blush' wings, totally by chance, you could get either one. If they stay all blue, I'm good with that, too. It's still a gorgeous dragon.

That depends on your perspective.

The thing is, MM, a whole lot of people were expecting something other than what they got... many feel ripped off.

I am starting to think that TJ likes to see drama. I was here when the Snow Angels were released, wasn't that enough?

From now on I will never be secure in planning lineages with the previous year's releases. sad.gif

While I think surprises are nice this type of thing is more like a practical joke due to the people that just spent hours hunting or trading for something that doesn't exist.

I second all of this. I mean, part of me is saying "have some faith, surely TJ wouldn't really have taken away the pink wings FOREVER, there must be some twist," but because DC HAS done things like this before (with Snow Angels and, to a lesser extent, black Sweetlings), it's hard to feel confident. Heck, even if it turns out the intentions were pure and everything is going to be made clear and resolved nicely in a few days, the time spent up until then isn't fun because, again, past experiences on DC with exclusives (discontinueds, CB Prizes, Snow Angels...) are making it very hard to believe that what things look like aren't actually what they are. sad.gif

Also don't get me wrong--I do think the blue ones are pretty, and wouldn't mind them staying around, although IMO the lack of them in CB form hurts a lot of lineage possibilities. My inability to really enjoy them at present doesn't come from their looks, it comes from the fear that they are now the ONLY bred option, and with how seemingly chaotic and unexplained their introduction is going to be (and already has been).

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I'm kinda hoping the twist might be a post Christmas breeding. It would help explain the lack of solstices in the ap. They've been more scarce than Hollies.

The thing is, MM, a whole lot of people were expecting something other than what they got... many feel ripped off.

It's a game, not Armageddon. I'm really sorry that people feel 'ripped off' and are, once again, pissed off and miserable about something around here. Others don't mind an unexpected surprise. I like the surprise element that the new version brought to the game and I think getting either version by chance would be fun. Am I supposed to feel differently or change my mind because some people are unhappy? I can't help that some people feel 'ripped off' and that fact doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the surprise one whit. I'm sorry for them and that they feel that way, but I have my own thoughts on it and I like it.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Luckily, I own two CB Solstices... I like the original sprites way better than the blue ones. I bred them both, though. Will have to wait until next year to get them. And I feel bad for the people who won't be able to get the sunset wings, they are gorgeous.

I disagree. As I recall, the major drama from the Snow Angels came mostly from after the recoding due to person or persons unknown hacking the site just to get the color wings they wanted. That's when the rest of us woke up to find our dragon's wing colors had changed as TJ had to recode the sprites. (Yes, I was one of the unhappy folks who went from the wing color I most liked to the one I least liked, and still roundly curse the hacker(s).)

That being said...I don't like the new color. I'd rather they just be the same with the reddish bits for three reasons:

1.) There is no reason to make the CBs exclusive; it just makes for a lot of hard feelings and discontent at a time of year when we should all be sharing and and wanting to make one another happy.

2.) Lineages. Most lineages I'd want to do with them would involve a sprite with some or a lot of red bits to help make it pop out.

3.) I just find the only blue ones a bit bland in comparison and make the sprite feel a bit flat as opposed to the original.

Just my 2¢ worth.

It's a game, not Armageddon. I'm really sorry that people feel 'ripped off' and are, once again, pissed off and miserable about something around here. Others don't mind an unexpected surprise. I like the surprise element that the new version brought to the game and I think getting either version by chance would be fun. Am I supposed to feel differently or change my mind because some people are unhappy? I can't help that some people feel 'ripped off'. I'm not one of them.

No, its NOT Armageddon, and NO Nobody is saying you have to change your feelings about it. Just... not everyone agrees.

And I DO think it is a bit like the snow angels.

As s was mentioned in the post above me... part of it had to do witht he fact that the color of wings were STRICTLY coded based on your scroll... aka, you get only ONE variation. That someone hacked the site to try to change it and all the drama that resulted from that were just related to it.

It's a game, not Armageddon.  I'm really sorry that people feel 'ripped off' and are, once again, pissed off and miserable about something around here.    Others don't mind an unexpected surprise. I like the surprise element that the new version brought to the game and I think getting either version by chance would be fun.  Am I supposed to feel differently or change my mind because some people are unhappy? I can't help that some people feel 'ripped off'.  I'm not one of them.

The quotation marks and use of 'once again' make it hard to believe you're truly sympathetic. I don't begrudge people who are happy with getting blue ones, but since 95% of things on DC are what you see is what you get, getting a wrench thrown into the works during a limited breeding season (especially a wrench that suggests DC might be taking yet ANOTHER step into the loathsome 'more exclusives' territory that drove me away from many other adoptables sites) isn't my idea of a great time. I mean, exclusives in the past have generally been met with the same reaction... I can't fathom why another exclusive would be added accordingly, especially without explanation. Which is why I am still hopeful that there's a twist to things.

I disagree. As I recall, the major drama from the Snow Angels came mostly from after the recoding due to person or persons unknown hacking the site just to get the color wings they wanted. That's when the rest of us woke up to find our dragon's wing colors had changed as TJ had to recode the sprites. (Yes, I was one of the unhappy folks who went from the wing color I most liked to the one I least liked, and still roundly curse the hacker(s).)

No one hacked anything. Someone figured out that your scroll number could tell you what type of Snow Angel color you would get, and were telling other people so they could figure it out in advance. TJ got angry that the surprise had been ruined, made all the sprites the gold wing version, and then finally made them varied again. IIRC the poor suckers who found out the trick behind it had their scrolls burned. It was not my favorite DC Christmas.

Edit: Actually maybe scrolls weren't burned--one of the first people to figure it out still seems to be around at least. Too long ago to remember everything 100% I guess. >___<

You can read more about it here: http://dragcave.wikia.com/wiki/Christmas_2009

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy