TJ09

2014-09-10 - Preview: Site Redesign

Shiny!

The new art makes for a very pretty page.

Though I think the clock would be a lot more useful if it includes SECONDS, not just hours and minutes xd.png

TJ - please could you come in and reassure about the bandwidth thing ? So many talented people who design admittedly wonderful sites and who have fabulous fibreoptic or cable internet and no limits tend to forget about the rest us. You wouldn't believe what I have to go through when in Canada to log out from my bank, because the "you have signed out" page is so heavy - and I can't disable things or I lose the bank's functionality ! I have to use a dodge I have set up, or my whole machine freezes.

And even that doesn't take account of the fact that some of us are capped - 5Gb a month there, for me.

*Stares at the pictures* Soo...pretty...and shiny..... *Jumps on the pictures and wraps self in them* I WANT THEM!!! NOW!!! ninja.gif

Cool new looks. Can't wait for more. And yea, I do remember the time before the biomes...new releases SUCKED! Only three eggs on one screen. And HUNDREDS of people wanting them.

I wonder whether the map of the biomes will be changed, too - the current one is nice for its simplicity, but seeing these awesome paintings, I'd really like to see an updated, pretty map smile.gif

Woo Hoo! Love the new (potential) design, artwork and clock!

I can't wait! Thanks TJ! smile.gif

I really would like that clock. Even though I'm in EST aka Cave Time, I know others aren't. And that Night/Day notification would be cool. biggrin.gif

but in september there are no new eggs ? sad.gif

Remember the announcement from last month, eggs will be released randomly not on the first week of every month any more. There are still 3 more weekends in September for eggs to be released. A later release would be fine, since we know we won't get any in October until Halloween.

Is the clock going to be a graphic?

How much can we expect our pages to slow down?

How much of a layout change is there going to be, in the end?

Will there be the possibility of keeping the old layout as another option, if some users don't like the new version?

My thoughts exactly. We're really limited for both speed and data here so I always opt for the "light" site versions everywhere I can. The current layout isn't usually too bad for me - and if it gets laggy, I turn my images off. But I know some users don't have that option/knowledge or are on even slower connections than mine.

That said, I will be interested to see the final design and if/how the site skins change to accommodate it. smile.gif

I'm really hoping the new background as a skin in of itself because I'm having the same concerns. If it's not a skin, will the image be blockable?

As long as the new design is not very graphics intensive... I know some people lag with the current site... so something fancy with lots of little lag causing bits will make egg hunting suck even worse for people with older computers / slow internet connections

This so much.

Every time there's a change in a site I frequent, I fear it'll make it unusable in my (very old) PC.

If either that won't the case here or the old version will still be available, I'll be glad. But for now I just can't look forward to it because of that not matter how pretty it seems sad.gif