TJ09

2014-09-10 - Preview: Site Redesign

This looks like it'll be very cool!

The clock would be very useful. And day/night dragons? Interesting.

Sunrise/Sunset and Day /Night Drakes are the Dragons the note refers to--

not that there won't be others in the future tongue.gif

Oooooh a clock! That egg painting is sooooo pretty too!

I'm so excited!

I think the clock is going to really help people figure out if dragons with a day/night alt are going to hatch a certain way. I, personally, don't know when the "cut off" times are for DC day and DC night so having the clock with the sun/moon icon (if there actually is one) will be very helpful when egg hunting x3

OHHHHH MY GOSH IT'S A CLOCK IT'S A CLOCK I CAN'T EVEN OH MY GOSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH

Ahem. All joking aside, this looks awesome. Looking forward to seeing more previews!

TJ - please could you come in and reassure about the bandwidth thing ? So many talented people who design admittedly wonderful sites and who have fabulous fibreoptic or cable internet and no limits tend to forget about the rest us. You wouldn't believe what I have to go through when in Canada to log out from my bank, because the "you have signed out" page is so heavy - and I can't disable things or I lose the bank's functionality ! I have to use a dodge I have set up, or my whole machine freezes.

And even that doesn't take account of the fact that some of us are capped - 5Gb a month there, for me.

Browsers have caches for exactly this reason. They're quite good at determining that a file hasn't changed and avoiding re-downloads, so even if the new layout required downloading a 2 MB background (it won't), it would only be downloaded once, and subsequent page loads would be much faster. In fact, the cache is often too good, and saves things even when they've been changed (which, for example, caused some sorting issues when multi-sort came out).

A lot of people tend to do things that bypass the browser's cache. For example, this is exactly what a "hard refresh" does--it tells your browser to redownload everything, even if it hasn't changed. If you're using Ctrl+F5 to cave hunt, you're going to have a bad time no matter what layout you use (on the current layout, a Ctrl+F5 causes you to download over 250 KB of data, while a normal page load is only around 10-15 KB).

tl;dr: If you let your browser's cache do its job, bandwidth shouldn't be a concern for using the site.

OK - so how big will the new page be ? And have you - hand on heart - ever had to live with a 5 Gb limit while playing ? I do need to go to other sites too. smile.gif Could you please offer us a "lite" version ?

Having a clock thing is really convenient and fascinating for people like me(different time zone, maybe the old version is more neat, but hey, a CLOCK!

Looking forward to it, but will there be any changes in the mobile version?

OK - so how big will the new page be ? And have you - hand on heart - ever had to live with a 5 Gb limit while playing ? I do need to go to other sites too. smile.gif Could you please offer us a "lite" version ?

I have indeed spent my share of time on a lossy 3G connection with a 5 GB (shared with others) data limit. I also have tools that let me simulate such conditions.

I don't know exactly how much the new page will be yet. As a high estimate, the images may be on the order of 500-600 KB total, but the reality will almost definitely be smaller than that, and the amount of non-cacheable data is unlikely to increase. So, the cached data will amortize out to a negligible amount over many pages.

OMG! Thank you so much, TJ!

Thank you so much everyone who has contributed to the fresh air!

^3^ So excited to see what will happen!

I have indeed spent my share of time on a lossy 3G connection with a 5 GB (shared with others) data limit. I also have tools that let me simulate such conditions.

I don't know exactly how much the new page will be yet. As a high estimate, the images probably be on the order of 500-600 KB total, but the reality will almost definitely be smaller than that, and the amount of non-cacheable data is unlikely to increase. So, the cached data will amortize out to a negligible amount over many pages.

That is a relief. I had another game I play do a major re-vamp... And old players have been leaving left and right because of the absurdly bandwidth heavy new user interface.

Cheers!

C4.

I just want to say Thank You to TJ for helping us understand that the bandwidth is ok for us with limits and so forth.

I am excited over the new things coming and Thank you TJ and Spriters who have helped

Wheee! Looking forward to new stuff!

I agree - thanks TJ for answering questions here :)

Edited by diaveborn

TJ, while you're re-designing, are you also taking into account accessibility standards? High-contrast, which you have, is good for all eyes, so I'm thinking you are aware. We seem to have a lot of players with low- or no vision, and there are some with mobility issues such as Cerebral Palsy. I know from personal experience how hard it can be to add accessibility to an existing site; it's much easier to build the site with accessibility in the first place. So, I said something about it, just in case. All done!

The painting is lovely. I'll have to re-train my eyes for a new design, but old designs don't last forever. Go you!

user posted image

That's right. A clock. Try not to get too excited.

OMG A CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AKDFSKM KLmsdajjd ewqriper0qw eork43ot 3

2t23

t5 yt2 5

6t23 52

3y652 972 254252

user posted image

Edited by Ashywolf

Gorgeous, especially the egg painting. wub.gif

Does that mean we get to see the actual eggs instead of the mystery eggs in the future? I don't know yet how I'd feel about it, but my first instinct tells me this is a good thing.

Oh yes, about the clock...I am sure that I am not the only one thinking it could help with making Neglecteds, hmm?

Although I recall a comment that seconds don't show up...still, if you have the minute down it makes things a bit easier. I don't know for sure if you need the second counter, so it could still work.

TJ, while you're re-designing, are you also taking into account accessibility standards? High-contrast, which you have, is good for all eyes, so I'm thinking you are aware. We seem to have a lot of players with low- or no vision, and there are some with mobility issues such as Cerebral Palsy. I know from personal experience how hard it can be to add accessibility to an existing site; it's much easier to build the site with accessibility in the first place. So, I said something about it, just in case. All done!

Thank you!

As a visually impaired user myself this is a major concern for me.

Edited by Mew_1

Does that mean we get to see the actual eggs instead of the mystery eggs in the future? I don't know yet how I'd feel about it, but my first instinct tells me this is a good thing.

That picture is what the cave looked like in 2006 (minus the new breeds appearing there).

It was on the tenth day of the ninth moon, that the great lord of Dragon Cave would first let us see our great master, The Clock. Since that day we have learned the great art of Time Telling. We shall forever worship our Great Clock for all it's very deeds. The horrible monster of Being Late shall not ever trouble us again. Praise be The Clock. Amen.

So, how excited is "too excited"?

That is a relief. I had another game I play do a major re-vamp... And old players have been leaving left and right because of the absurdly bandwidth heavy new user interface.

Cheers!

C4.

^this^

Please make it so, TJ. But a lite version would be nice, just the same smile.gif

Oh, man. I am excited~

I do like the visible clock, I am in DC's native timezone, but I bet others will appreciate it a lot.