kitsune93

New Holiday Dragons?

Out of curiosity I looked up medieval fairs. Though originally there was a strong religious connection in medieval Europe and England they were principally commercial affairs. They could be held at any time of the year. So if we wanted to do a medieval fair type event, themed however the organizers came up with but unique to DC's lore, that seems fitting to me. It could include a themed release rather than holiday dragons, and some kind of "fair" event. It could move from town to town in our world as we develop the world background and could be fun. So, if we like late July, who says there's not an annual fair somewhere in DC land in late July?

I actually find this very interesting.

Like some others have pointed out, I'd rather not have another limited edition egg. Too much stress. But I'm all for a sort of event like the one Fiona suggested.

As for holidays being culturally restrictive, that's not much of an issue for me. In my country, we do not celebrate easter with an egg hunt, and Halloween to us is a solemn day where we remember and honor our dead relatives, so most of what you see are visits to the cementery to place flowers and candles on the tombs. Nothing to do with the sort of festivities celebrated here in DC, but I don't mind. It's a game, not real life.

I wouldn't be against substituting real life holidays with DC universe holidays. I'd rather see more variety in Valentines dragons, and not the typical pink, love themed dragon we've been seen released up till now. I'm thinking, perhaps, Valentines could be sort of a spring celebration, a tree nymph sort of dragon, in brown and mossy green would look amazing, for example.

I wouldn't be against substituting real life holidays with DC universe holidays. I'd rather see more variety in Valentines dragons, and not the typical pink, love themed dragon we've been seen released up till now. I'm thinking, perhaps, Valentines could be sort of a spring celebration, a tree nymph sort of dragon, in brown and mossy green would look amazing, for example.

I wouldn't mind this, either. I'd like to think up new DC holidays that, while they might be somewhat-related to real-world holidays, are new holidays of their own.

Valentine's can still be love-related, but spring IS often the time of new beginnings and growth and the mating time for many animals, so it could be a bit more like that.

Not sure what to do for Easter. :\ I like the festival of eggs, but it doesn't need to be so...Easter-y.

I'm actually glad that it seems like the Halloween dragons are just creepy and not specifically Halloween themed (like they look like candy or like to eat candy or something). I think, so far, Halloween is the only holiday that isn't directly like its real-world counterpart, save for being on the same day and having a trick-or-treat event.

Christmas. I want to see it more based around winter, or even have a New Year's celebration instead of Christmas. Many countries have some sort of new year celebration, even if it's not at the same time. I do like that last year's Christmas dragon wasn't really a Christmas dragon, but instead a winter solstice one.

All of that said, please don't reject dragons that might still look inspired by those holidays (pink dragons for Valentine's, red and green ones for Christmas, or whatever). c:

Christmas. I want to see it more based around winter, or even have a New Year's celebration instead of Christmas. Many countries have some sort of new year celebration, even if it's not at the same time. I do like that last year's Christmas dragon wasn't really a Christmas dragon, but instead a winter solstice one.
Wasn't the holly stuff based on some Celtic ritual? It's just one of the many little things that survived the spread of the Christian religion. xd.png Like the yulebuck, too. Originally, the yulebuck didn't have anything to do with Christmas. And winter magi aren't exactly Christmas-y, apart from their colors. However, this color scheme has been used way back when people celebrated the winter solstice instead of Christmas. tongue.gif

All of that said, please don't reject dragons that might still look inspired by those holidays (pink dragons for Valentine's, red and green ones for Christmas, or whatever). c:
But please don't choose another pink one for Valentine. We could do with something differeint again. I loved the Heartseekers and Radiant Angels for that reason alone. smile.gif

Wasn't the holly stuff based on some Celtic ritual? It's just one of the many little things that survived the spread of the Christian religion. XD Like the yulebuck, too. Originally, the yulebuck didn't have anything to do with Christmas. And winter magi aren't exactly Christmas-y, apart from their colors. However, this color scheme has been used way back when people celebrated the winter solstice instead of Christmas. :P

Maybe, but I know holly is still very Christmas-related here. Red and green together are also very stereotypical "Christmas" colors, and I think part of that has to do with holly.

The Yulebuck straight-up looks like a classic red-and-white candy cane, which are generally considered Christmasy. While there are regular peppermint discs that are in the same colors, I'm reminded of candy canes. It also sports holly leaves and looks like a reindeer, two more things that scream Christmas to me.

I wasn't saying ALL of the dragons were strictly Christmas. I agree that the Winter Magi is definitely less Christmas-related than most of them. c:

I wouldn't want to see more limited edition holiday dragons that are only available once in the cave and never again. I do think that a dragon that can only be caught or bred at certain times of the year could be fun. That way, if you missed the cave drops for the breed or joined after the event finished you can still get it CB next time the event happens. For example, a summer solstice dragon can only be bred or caught from the cave during the summer solstice but the same sprites are available every time the summer solstice happens. A spring equinox dragon would also be pretty neat because it would be a nice way to celebrate spring without involving easter or any other religious holidays.

I also really like the idea of having some sort of fun summer event. Maybe there could be something like a summer firefly/insect catching contest (similar to the current Easter egg contest) where you have to collect all the different fireflies/insects? Or it could be something like a summer sandcastle decorating contest (like wreath or tree decorating) where you find things to decorate your sandcastle with.

I wouldn't want to see more limited edition holiday dragons that are only available once in the cave and never again. I do think that a dragon that can only be caught or bred at certain times of the year could be fun. That way, if you missed the cave drops for the breed or joined after the event finished you can still get it CB next time the event happens. For example, a summer solstice dragon can only be bred or caught from the cave during the summer solstice but the same sprites are available every time the summer solstice happens. A spring equinox dragon would also be pretty neat because it would be a nice way to celebrate spring without involving easter or any other religious holidays.

I also really like the idea of having some sort of fun summer event. Maybe there could be something like a summer firefly/insect catching contest (similar to the current Easter egg contest) where you have to collect all the different fireflies/insects? Or it could be something like a summer sandcastle decorating contest (like wreath or tree decorating) where you find things to decorate your sandcastle with.

I'm more on board with an event - but a dragon that turns up THE SAME, CB every year just for the - say - solstice is a very fine idea !

Another holiday with one-year only ones would be a PIA, to be blunt. Three of those is enough.

Just to add in there, Christmas and Halloween, if not as well as Easter and MOST western holidays for that matter...were/are derived/stole from Pagan "holidays"/celebrations. Paganism did -not- originate in the western end of the world.

If people get offended by what I just stated, I'd suggest you do research on the topics. I just wanted to point that out.

Why not some kind of multi-cultural dragons? Like, idk...It'd be kind of cool maybe if for like a whole year, or part of a year, perhaps not consecutively, the monthly releases actually represented a country/continent or some countries? I know not everybody would be represented, as there are SO MANY x.x

But...a decent amount. That way, it's not focusing on holidays, and they'd be fun to collect.

Very true. Just to prove my point about the original yulebuck stuff:

Yule or Yuletide ("Yule time") is a pagan religious festival observed by the historical Germanic peoples, later being absorbed into and equated with the Christian festival of Christmas. The earliest references to Yule are by way of indigenous Germanic month names Ærra Jéola (Before Yule) or Jiuli and Æftera Jéola (After Yule). Scholars have connected the celebration to the Wild Hunt, the god Odin and the pagan Anglo-Saxon Modranicht.

Also:

user posted image

Julbock, a giant Christmas goat at the Gävle town market, Sweden

Now, consider that Jul is the German/Swedish/"other Germanic language but English" equivalent of the English Yule. And a Bock means the male of various species, in most cases deer, but also goats or sheep. Interestingly enough, if the animal species isn't mentioned, the German word "Bock" usually implies a male deer - a buck. (Maybe unless you're a breeder of either sheep or goat, dunno about that.)

That being said - although I would love shiny new dragons, I don't think we should have another limited release dragon, I'd prefer them to be permanent additions to the cave - especially in light of the problem that many people will be on vacation and out of internet.

A compromise I would find acceptable is to have these event eggs be limited, but flood the cave every time the event returns. (To "transfer" this system on the upcoming holiday: It would be the equivalent of putting vampires, pumpkins, marrows, shadow walkers, cavern lurkers and graves back in the cave on October 31st. Maybe these dragons should even be breedable year-round, unlike current holidays which only produce their mate's kind of egg. This is just an example to illustrate my suggestion. I'm not asking for Halloween to be changed accordingly.)

Edited by olympe

I *know* that most holidays come from lots of Pagan things and I do know about Yuletide, thank you. But as it stands, since they *are* a part of *modern Christmas*, at least here, they are still *strongly Christmas-themed dragons*, even if their original origins for the ideas AREN'T. :|

What I'm saying is, I want the dragons to not be tied to ANY holiday as strongly, except for a DC original holiday that may base some of its origin in real-world holidays, but ISN'T the holiday in question. I want more winter/winter solstice dragons, for example, or just whatever. BUT I also don't want very Christmasy dragons passed over; I'm ok with them being released but I'd like to see the holidays referred to as special DC holiday names and more of the dragons not super-strongly-based on real world holidays.

Does that make sense? :\

(I know, it's weird, I'm just saying I really support DC making its own holidays and dragons released that are maybe a bit more for that rather than strictly Christmas, etc.)

Edited by edwardelricfreak

I wouldn't want to see a big change in our existing celebrations. A shift to DC-lore themes, rather than real world themes? Yes, please. Greater immersion in the game and less issues for people who don't celebrate the real world holidays. I'd like the way the events progress to be mostly the same.

I don't especially want a new limited release holiday dragon for the summer DC-lore event though. I think 3 dragons each year that only breed true at their holiday time is enough. I suggested earlier a themed release for the event. That is, permanent additions to the cave, regular dragons, but the choice(s) for the release follows the theme of the event. That would be my preference.

I don't especially want a new limited release holiday dragon for the summer DC-lore event though. I think 3 dragons each year that only breed true at their holiday time is enough. I suggested earlier a themed release for the event. That is, permanent additions to the cave, regular dragons, but the choice(s) for the release follows the theme of the event. That would be my preference.

IF there were a dragon for that, I would only want the *one* (that is, another strictly holiday dragon), not a bunch more for every single holiday we can come up with. c: Three is already a lot, so four would really be pushing it.

I do like the idea of having dragons that are available every year but only during that certain time, though.

You mean like a "DC Summer Carnival" dragon that turns up in the first week of July every year? (Both the name and the date are chosen arbitrarily.)

I'm not against something like this - as long as that beast is breedable out of season.

You mean like a "DC Summer Carnival" dragon that turns up in the first week of July every year? (Both the name and the date are chosen arbitrarily.)

I'm not against something like this - as long as that beast is breedable out of season.

I'd be for something like this as well so long as they both reappeared in the Cave during the time period and could breed true throughout the year. It sounds like a good compromise between a true holiday and an ordinary themed release.

I'd be for something like this as well so long as they both reappeared in the Cave during the time period and could breed true throughout the year. It sounds like a good compromise between a true holiday and an ordinary themed release.

Yeah, I liked this. Someone else suggested it and I really liked the idea. o3o I think they mentioned it being a summer solstice dragon or something.

Yeah, I liked this. Someone else suggested it and I really liked the idea. o3o I think they mentioned it being a summer solstice dragon or something.

I think I could like it! It seems weird that they could breed true throughout the year, but I would have no problem to find them in cave as CBs every year during their "holiday-time". I would be happy indeed!

The important thing is to have another new nice dragon relased with them, a new one every year.

Maybe this will also show people how much beautiful is don't have troubles in lineages even if you missed an old holiday and maybe it will help to reintroduce old CB holidays in cave during their breeding time, somehow.

(Nope, I won't stop hoping to find a Marrow CB in cave in the future. )

Edited by Naruhina_94

Hush, don't tell anybody that this might be a precedent! xd.png

I think I could like it! It seems weird that they could breed true throughout the year, but I would have no problem to find them in cave as CBs every year during their "holiday-time". I would be happy indeed!

The important thing is to have another new nice dragon relased with them, a new one every year.

Maybe this will also show people how much beautiful is don't have troubles in lineages even if you missed an old holiday and maybe it will help to reintroduce old CB holidays in cave during their breeding time, somehow.

(Nope, I won't stop hoping to find a Marrow CB in cave in the future. )

I really like this idea.

But, if you release a new one and the old ones become available in the cave again, does that mean they'll intermix?

If that's the case it might become annoying to get just new ones.

Imagine, 7 holiday dragons available and everyone is after the newest one.

Maybe higher drop rates for new eggs or put them into a different biome?

Like mountain and coast for the new dragons and forest, jungle, and volcano for the older breeds.

Something like that would have to be implemented, yes. Or we could get the same holiday dragon over and over again - if there are enough alts/morphs/varieties.

To take stripes as an example (if they were this holiday dragon): We'd get white stripes in year 1, white and red stripes in year 2, white, red and green stripes in year 3...

All with the same egg and egg description, of course. And, yes, the new version would have to be more common than the old ones. Plus, they'd have to drop for a while. Maybe solid for a week (?) and mixed in for a couple of weeks? Of course, they'd have to be unlimited from the start, just like Halloweens.

Edited by olympe

I really like this idea.

But, if you release a new one and the old ones become available in the cave again, does that mean they'll intermix?

If that's the case it might become annoying to get just new ones.

Imagine, 7 holiday dragons available and everyone is after the newest one.

Maybe higher drop rates for new eggs or put them into a different biome?

Like mountain and coast for the new dragons and forest, jungle, and volcano for the older breeds.

Usually we would have a breeding-week for holiday times.

This Halloween the old breeds will be PROBABLY be true breedabled from 23-24th October.

If we want old dragons in cave every year for this "DC Summer Carnival" we could have old CB breeds spawning in cave during the week before the new relase. The relase would be dedicated only to new dragons.

So let's say that we would have holiday-summer-dragon A in cave for an entire week before that holiday-summer-dragon B will be relased and we would have events and mini-games in this week, exactly as we have during normal holidays.

Edited by Naruhina_94

I'm sorry, but I don't see the point of having new breed of holidays every year if the old ones are going to be there as CBs. Imho a breed of holiday is exclusive because it was only available as CBs during that year and so, represents the year that they were found in. What's the point? And what is the point of having one holiday that works totally differently from other holidays for no reason? (The halloweens for example I would argue does have a good reason)

Also I would like to hunt during the week before the holiday, thanks, it's practically the only time when I have at least a sliver of a chance at catching CB gold/silvers.

I dislike the thought of people clamoring that other holidays be available in CB form in cave during their respective times as well. That subject has been beaten to death and imho never will be implemented because the spriters are against it. Why cause unnecessary drama?

Edited by ylangylang

I agree with ylangylang. NO past (Christmas/Val/Hallowe'en) CB holidays should ever return as CB.

But there was a suggestion further up that seems to have mutated. Why not an event as the primary focus (replaying old games or a new game...) and a dragon that is CB for this new event, but which is available CB every year, but just during the event.

That way those of us who go on vacation away from the web (there ARE some of us) can hope to catch them at least ONE year - and I would be OK with them not breeding true at any other time, too.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I agree with ylangylang. NO past (Christmas/Val/Hallowe'en) CB holidays should ever return as CB.

But there was a suggestion further up that seems to have mutated. Why not an event as the primary focus (replaying old games or a new game...) and a dragon that is CB for this new event, but which is available CB every year, but just during the event.

That way those of us who go on vacation away from the web (there ARE some of us) can hope to catch them at least ONE year - and I would be OK with them not breeding true at any other time, too.

Oh do you mean like, say, a "Summer vacation" dragon that appears every year and just the events are the ones changing with no new dragons? I would be okay with that.

Oh do you mean like, say, a "Summer vacation" dragon that appears every year and just the events are the ones changing with no new dragons? I would be okay with that.

Exactly ! And it's always the same one, so people who have to be away won't miss out for ever.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the point of having new breed of holidays every year if the old ones are going to be there as CBs. Imho a breed of holiday is exclusive because it was only available as CBs during that year and so, represents the year that they were found in. What's the point? And what is the point of having one holiday that works totally differently from other holidays for no reason? (The halloweens for example I would argue does have a good reason)

Also I would like to hunt during the week before the holiday, thanks, it's practically the only time when I have at least a sliver of a chance at catching CB gold/silvers.

I dislike the thought of people clamoring that other holidays be available in CB form in cave during their respective times as well. That subject has been beaten to death and imho never will be implemented because the spriters are against it. Why cause unnecessary drama?

...How is the thing we were suggesting remotely like asking to have more CBs of the rest of the holidays? No, really, we were strictly discussing the summer event idea for this, not any existing ones.

...How is the thing we were suggesting remotely like asking to have more CBs of the rest of the holidays? No, really, we were strictly discussing the summer event idea for this, not any existing ones.

I was referring to Naruhina, who said

So yeah. Context.