GhostMouse

Unboxed Lineage View

Pretty. It'd be interesting to see an example of boxed/unboxed full sprites with text wrapping. I know the mobile site wraps the text for the names (on the scroll at least).

I would also like to speak up in favor of unboxed, or at least full-view boxed sprites as an option. And I definitely wished names would wrap around sometimes!

I would absolutely love an option for Boxed/Unboxed.

In general, I really want Unboxed lineage view.

When viewing lineages on Allure of Neglected Dragons, the sprite view is Unboxed and I am often struck by the beauty of the pairing, or how some small details pick up a color in the partner, etc. But in a boxed view this is often cut off and I'm left to deal with a small slice of a dragon.

To please some people who have made a very specific boxed lineage, I think the option to turn this on and off would be really useful.

Considering that the ONLY longterm play value of this site is to make lineages*, more control over the lineage view would be really helpful.

*some people may disagree, but I'm speaking in a generality xd.png

I still prefer the entirely unboxed view, but I would be happy to have the whole-sprites-in-boxes view as a compromise, if we can make the most people happy that way. Thanks for making that example, Fuzz!

I find the current view neater, but that's just my two cents.

What I wanted to say is, I think this should probably be an option that can be selected in the account settings, then everyone can set the option prefer. (if that isn't two hard to code, but I don't think it would be)

i like the idea of having a current/unboxed (or boxed with full sprite) choice in the options; I recently bred a Carmine with a Spring because the full sprites complemented each other, but the boxed view cut off a lot of what I bred for. And I know other people breed while taking into account the boxes, so their lineages might look "off" if it changed. So... Yeah.

(Ideally this would choose how your view is displayed for dragons on your scroll for others as well, but that might be too fiddly.)

I support a user being able to select how people view their own dragon's lineage. smile.gif

Otherwise, I fully support full sprites, boxed or un-boxed.

Cheers!

C4

I remember taking part in this discussion in the previous thread (in the help section when lineage view changed) but I can support the idea here as well.

I strongly prefer full-sprite view myself, maybe because I usually check new ideas using AoND lineage viewer. Also, some sprites are in my opinion simply difficult to be put into a current box and have to be cut off more than the others. See spotted greenwings or new cassares - won't you prefer to see the whole dragon? wink.gif

On the other hand, people saying that such a change can ruin some lineages do have a point. I like Confused Cat's solution:

Additionally, when I want to show a lineage I have created (as in "everybody look at this thing I have made and tell me it's beautiful!"), I would like an option to use something like "/lineage/Pbz16/full" and "/lineage/Pbz16/boxed" to determine the way other users see the lineage. They could still change the link (by removing the "/full" or "/boxed" part) to see it according to their scroll setting. Or there could even be a button or link on the lineage page to switch between the display options.

However, I have to say I prefer "/full" and "/boxed" in the link or among other account settings, not on the lineage page itself. I'd like that page as clear as possible, without additional elements and changing one word in the link is not (from my perspective) a problem. We all do it when showing a lineage of cb dragon, don't we?

As for boxed or unboxed my vote goes for unboxed. I think boxes are unnecessary if the sprite is not cut off. Each dragon is already in a box after all. Unboxed tikigurl91's example in the first post is very neat smile.gif

I'd love to see the unboxed view with the full sprites, too. However, since some people actually breed with the current lineage view in mind, I'd rather support the option to choose how you view any kinds of lineages - yours and other's.

Bumping this because I really would like to see this changed. Full sprites in boxes would be fine with me and I would even be okay with it being an account setting option. I just want to be able to see lineages like this in a way that shows why those two go so well together. They do in full sprite view, but imo the boxed view cuts off enough of each sprite that they no longer match well. Sort of spoils the lineage for me. sad.gif

Support. So many times after a new release I'll see people coming up with combos that would be absolutely gorgeous--only to realize they don't look half as pretty in lineage view due to weird cropping. There are several pretty dragons out there (like nhiostrifes, gemshards and red nebulas) that I barely use because their lineage view is wonky. >___<

However, I think it'd be nice if we had the option to switch between the current view and the new one. I value lineages extremely highly and get right agitated when they're changed in most cases. This is one of very few changes that I think I'd actually ENJOY, but I do not want to see anyone else who has worked for years on a project hate it and feel all their effort has been invalidated.

Would a (separate, applying only to this type) standardized size of all sprites displayed in the full lineage View be possible?

Because I don't know how difficult coding that would be, but otherwise there might be issues, as with, in example, the disparity in size between Magelights and smaller Pygmies.

Also, I should think it ideal that the owners could choose the way their lineages appeared, since they;d be designed to be viewed that way, rather than a scroll setting choice... dunno nuffin' at the moment, barely started on my coffee, lol...

Would a (separate, applying only to this type) standardized size of all sprites displayed in the full lineage View be possible?

Because I don't know how difficult coding that would be, but otherwise there might be issues, as with, in example, the disparity in size between Magelights and smaller Pygmies.

Also, I should think it ideal that the owners could choose the way their lineages appeared, since they;d be designed to be viewed that way, rather than a scroll setting choice... dunno nuffin' at the moment, barely started on my coffee, lol...

I imagine that, just like with current lineage view, everything would be set at a certain size. The examples on the front page show this, too--those aren't the actual full sprites, but smaller versions of them. So I'm sure it'd work out just fine. biggrin.gif

I'd like this to be optional if Implemented and not the new thing like the new DC Layout. I agree some dragons lose important parts in the lineage (male falconiforms for example), but some breeds look better cutoff like female golds. I'm only against this if TJ did it so that we couldn't do boxed lineages. dry.gif If optional, again, I don't really care and I'll support this if so.

I haven't even thought about that, but now you got my attention I really like the one without boxes. It's really pretty.

Edited by kammo

Just saw a Gaia Xeno and a Silver in lineage view, and realized how much I would prefer the unboxed, full sprite view. I hope we see this feature available sooner rather than later.

I really, really like the look of the unboxed version with the full sprites. It looks heaps better! I'd love to see this feature added. smile.gif Definite support from me.

Full sprite, unboxed please! Have you SEEN the chop-job the current lineage boxes do to the Xenos? Sheeee!

Support! I would love to be able to see the full sprite without boxes as well. They look so much nicer.

Edited by Nicola

I would love it! Lineage love and Sprite love all the way across! I understand why people might want smaller graphics for load times and whatnot, but if they are on a normal computer, once they are cached, that ceases to be an issue.

But I think it looks bootiful and would love to see lineages that can really appreciate the full sprite. Snipping them really sometimes makes them look oddly matched with some dragons they would otherwise be perfectly wonderful with.

If optional I can't see why not. I prefer the boxes though so if its one or the other I would keep it as is.

I'm not sure if this would get implemented if it had to be an optional choice. TJ recently posted something somewhere about not wanting to implement too many optional features to the site since it means too many people with different settings bogging down the server or something? I can't remember the exact details, but it was something about being wary of too many different options.

Personally, I don't think this needs to be optional. I support a full change to the unboxed version. I think more people than not would be happy with that change. I can't imagine there being too many people that would get really up in arms about it? I think, on the whole, it would be a positive change.

I'm not sure if this would get implemented if it had to be an optional choice. TJ recently posted something somewhere about not wanting to implement too many optional features to the site since it means too many people with different settings bogging down the server or something? I can't remember the exact details, but it was something about being wary of too many different options.

Personally, I don't think this needs to be optional. I support a full change to the unboxed version. I think more people than not would be happy with that change. I can't imagine there being too many people that would get really up in arms about it? I think, on the whole, it would be a positive change.

Lineages have additional problems (beyond what I posted a while back) when it comes to making things optional.

People very carefully curate their lineages to look a certain way. Changing the presentation for just yourself would mean that you might not be viewing a lineage as the owner intended it to look. Making it a setting that affects how others view your lineages means the viewer has no way of knowing what presentation they'll see from a given lineage, and viewing different parts of the same lineage could have different presentations. This makes for inconsistent (and likely confusing) viewing experience.