TJ09

2014-04-01 - Feature Announcement

Aside from the new dragons, I consider the amazing holiday events that have been done (most recently the valentine's garden and the snow forts, both totally awesome!) to have been major enhancements to the gameplay. Yes, they were temporary, but I was on DC for that temporary period much more as a result of those, plus I have neat new icons/memorabilia from the event. I do not think "no new features" is a fair statement.

Hear, hear!

Also, this is a sprite collecting game, ergo: new dragons = new features. Everything else is just Extra Bonus smile.gif

Let this thread be a testimony how little features tj actually does add each year sad.gif

I'd be interested in knowing if this is was made as an honest comment or a means to lure/bait out whether the features described were a prank or not ...

Edited by DarkEternity

So what we do is hang out in here for a couple of days and see what happens. Personally, if it happens then so be it, if not then again, so be it...

You did a good one this year, TJ IMO

You have gotten everyone confused as to whether it is going to happen or not.

And that is an April Fools joke in itself...

Thanks for the confusion, TJ

how little features are added every year? Heck, new dragons every month. It's enough to keep me happy lol.

Though I will admit, I'd love to see the gender sprite project roll out, and would also love to be able to 'blow' my eggs (eg so can keep a pretty egg sprite in each collection of dragons)

I'd be interested in knowing if this is was made as an honest comment or a means to lure/bait out whether the features described were a prank or not ...

A Little bit of both.

Yes, holidays have features - but they are very temporary. I genuinely do not see new breeds as new feature - thats like changing brick colors in tetris, it does not change the gameplay AT ALL.

@TJ: Yes, the community is great. And the lineages hold a great deal of long-term-motivation for many. But that's not "Features of DC". Or to get back to my basic example:

A Tetris tournament is not a Feature of the game Tetris.

Edited by whitebaron

While I agree more features etc would be nice, I think we need to remember this is a free game and TJ does this for no actual payment from the game users , there are plenty of other so called free games out there for people to play that have lots more features but always come at a cost. so thanks TJ for your continued work on DC. biggrin.gif

While I agree more features etc would be nice, I think we need to remember this is a free game and TJ does this for no actual payment from the game users , there are plenty of other so called free games out there for people to play that have lots more features but always come at a cost. so thanks TJ for your continued work on DC. biggrin.gif

Very much this.

Truely free games are a dying breed nowadays, with most sites having ridiculous paid perks anymore, which I loath and refuse to participate in. I love the fact that DC is completely free and hope it stays like that.

So before we start ganging up on the admin, it would be nice for everyone to take a step back and remember that. Sure, there are lots of features I would love to see added, and hope that some day they become a reality. But one step at a time. smile.gif

A Little bit of both.

Yes, holidays have features - but they are very temporary. I genuinely do not see new breeds as new feature - thats like changing brick colors in tetris, it does not change the gameplay AT ALL.

@TJ: Yes, the community is great. And the lineages hold a great deal of long-term-motivation for many. But that's not "Features of DC". Or to get back to my basic example:

Which kind of big features would you like to see implemented?

If we omit the addition of new biomes (I would like a Lake Biome, or Lowland Biome) and the addition of little games that don't concern raising eggs, a Messanger system in game, I don't see so many things that should be add. This is a simple game, and it's more easy to improve what we already have instead of add tons of new strange features.

Don't misunderstand me, I would like to see new options in this game, too. However I think that there should be some adjustments before that smile.gif

Some adjustments like a better scroll-pages view, the removal of dragons unobtainable by any user with commitment (excluded Frlled and Old Pink that are retired breed), just to mention two among many other that have been proposed.

Which kind of big features would you like to see implemented?

I never said that the features need to be big and game-changing.

Also, being a free game does not change how many or if features were implemented. It just makes it more understandable when the admins have less time to do so.

But, there are a lot of feature suggestions out there, that would genuinely add features to the game without changing the gameplay much.

Examples:

• Tabs / Tags / Sort by Multiple Filters
  • The Dragon Encyclopedia (Yes, it was no aprils fools!)
  • New BSAs
  • Other Methods of Raising Dragons
  • New achievement based Badges
  • Higher Trophy Limits, even if they add nothing but another badge/sprite
  • API extensions for better usage from fansites
  • The "new improved lineage view"

I did not even touch Biomes or Spell Scrolls or whatever game extensions people dream up - Only the above improvements are likely to occupy a free game admin for months on end.

BTW @tiki: I think TJ perfectly well understood that this was not meant as an attack, but feedback. And I have to agree, that non-permanent features were present 3 times a year. But its minigames, nothing to do with the actual game.

A Little bit of both.

Thought so. :3

It's probably a 4 way tug of war between people being opposed to the suggestions, to people who want the suggestions, to TJ being able to code the suggestions and TJ having the time to code for the suggestions. Much as I'd like to see those other suggested features, I can understand the fact that it takes time and effort.

I would also like to see new features added:

- More BSAs (like heal, luck, harmonize)

- Ability to sort multiple dragons at once

- A breeding timer that shows hours

- Tabs / tags for better organization

- Being able to use multiple BSAs at once

- More lineage view options (ex. no tombstones)

- In game trade market

Yes it's a free game and we're all thankful for that, but that doesn't mean people should get all ruffled and defensive when others ask for more updates. Some of the things above have been promised for years... I love new dragon releases (no duh!) but I'd happily trade a new dragon release for a new feature release every year or two.

Oh TJ don't you play with my emotions, mister! ohmy.gif

I need dis. Oh lawd I need dis!

It sounds so lovely and entertaining.

BTW @tiki: I think TJ perfectly well understood that this was not meant as an attack, but feedback. And I have to agree, that non-permanent features were present 3 times a year. But its minigames, nothing to do with the actual game.

Oh, I'm sure. I wasn't saying you were attacking him (it was more of a general comment, as there have been quite a few not so happy posts about what was supposed to be fun), and I wasn't trying to defend him. I know he is perfectly capable of doing that himself. I was really just echoing assassinuk and saying that I appreciate the game we have and anything extra is just gravy. smile.gif

A lot of the behavior on DC is emergent (read: comes out of no where thanks to people who use the site), so adding more breeds does create more possibilities for such behavior to develop.

I'm tired, and confused about the relationship of emergent behavior to new breeds, but your post made me wonder about this and if, after having people reply that they use that feature in a way that wasn't originally intended, would that be an example of emergent behavior and something you'd want to support on the site if you had the resources to?

New dragons CAN be new features, though, mainly the Neglecteds, Zombies, Vamps, and sort of GoNs. Those dragons changed gameplay completely.

This would make tracking which dragons I already have really easy. Would also be nice to have so I could learn more.

And, you know, the feature I just announced, right here in this thread?

You're right in that there haven't been many big announcements (until now), but I think it'd be difficult to claim that the site is the same as it was three years ago (plus a few new dragons).

no, it is not the same as it was 3 years ago

and I thank you for that

*loves 7 eggs and shudders as she remembers only having 4 egg spots back then*

Edited by Merenwen

A Little bit of both.

well, I was here in 2008-2009, went away because it was too hard.

Came back Dec 2012 - and found these (that I can remember):

1. can breed rares together (i.e. gold & silver)

2. many dragons gained dimorphism that hadn't had it

3. teleports - HUGE change - who remembers losing dragon after dragon while trying to transfer?

4. fertility influence

5. gender influence - HUGE change!!!! Even if not 100%, it's close enough to make me happy.

6. being able to SEE lineages the way we do - HUGE change for those of us who like to breed great ones - and I didn't before, because you couldn't see them and couldn't influence the gender, and it would be too frustrating.

7. incubate - HUGE change

8. eggs hatchable right at 4 days left (instead of 3.5 or so)

9. stuff I didn't care about but that were still changes - and so I can't really list them, because they didn't affect me

The Cave is a much more fun place now. Much.

Now, if we could get more slots - like at 1500 dragons? - I'd be happier. And if we could reduce the number of refusals.

But, overall, there have been lots of changes - for the better.

Thanks, TJ biggrin.gif

EDIT: forgot about the biomes smile.gif certainly makes the copper breeding require more planning...and splits up the breeds so that if you only want certain ones, you can go to a biome and you know what it is (i.e. horses always being the strange markings egg in Jungle)

But with still enough uncertainty to make it interesting. I mean, who in heck wants it all so easy it's boring?

Edited by daba555

(◡‿◡✿)

(◡‿◡✿)

(◡‿◡✿)

(◡‿◡✿)

(◡‿◡✿)

(ʘ‿ʘ✿)

THIS LOOKS AWESOME. I AM SUPER EXCITED.

~Feathers

So... this is for real?

I don't think anyone except TJ and possibly the small subset of testers (if they exist), know for sure yet. smile.gif But TJ's recent post makes me wonder....

Personally, I'm irked I didn't notice the posting time. Well played, TJ! laugh.gif