Descripforce

Description Force!

🙄 In addition to the suicide thing, I specifically asked when to accept/reject/abstain...

yKv3rmL.png

The description in question was, indeed, 'painting a scene' (at least that's one thing we can agree on XD), more specifically the process of him becoming a zombie.

But yes, it was a misunderstanding, thanks for clearing that up. I'll refrain from reviewing descriptions, stick to the happy descriptions I used to write and we'll take this up further through pm to stop spamming the rest of the forum.

My sincere apologies everyone! :(

Edited by LadyLyzar
Please don't make PMs public unless all parties agree to it.

Don't stop reviewing, @Mirhana! It always helps to have extra eyes. Some people catch things other people miss.

4 hours ago, Mirhana said:

But yes, it was a misunderstanding, thanks for clearing that up. I'll refrain from reviewing descriptions, stick to the happy descriptions I used to write and we'll take this up further through pm to stop spamming the rest of the forum.

My sincere apologies everyone! :(

Please continue reviewing!  Discussions here about misunderstandings makes expectations and requirements much clearer for everyone, and I very much appreciate your working through this latest one with us.

I'd honestly rather people post here for opinions on descriptions than PM directly, honestly! It prevents misunderstandings like that and the people here are super willing to help with tweaks :) 

I did knock through about 50 descriptions this morning though, when I had some time to sit down and read. 

I got a message I haven't seen before:

You already checked that description

Got it after refreshing on a network change error page. I wonder if I can make it appear again somehow. :D 

I've had that once in a while, usually when I've changed pages and come back after forgetting I've hit refresh.

Thank you, @Kaini, for the super-quick approval of Epic! :) (At least, I am guessing it was you?)

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

Thank you, @Kaini, for the super-quick approval of Epic! :) (At least, I am guessing it was you?)

'Twas me. I do a couple each night, trying to keep the number below 500 until I can sit down and marathon it :P

How long does it usually take for descriptions to be approved? I have several which have been pending for a while.

1 hour ago, SlytherinWarrior said:

How long does it usually take for descriptions to be approved? I have several which have been pending for a while.

How long is 'a while'? Until I cracked down on them recently, some people had some pending for a year :P or longer?

At the moment, it all depends on how quickly I get to them. For a while I had it almost instantaneous then I got behind again. It makes it harder if there's a lot of descriptions that need user editing, and have a lot of user comments for edits.

Anyway yours are super short and easy so I swung through them :P

A year? Yeesh! No, mine were just up for a couple weeks. 

Thanks. 😃 

Thanks for approving my description! ^_^ Just wondering, up to how many people can review the same pending description? I might have missed the actual number somewhere on this thread but I've seen 6 so far from what people are showing.

There is no limit - in the dark times when it sits there for months/up to a year I had some with liek 20 accepts or so

16 minutes ago, Mizashi said:

Oh wow! That's crazy.... I'm glad things have gotten a lot better since then.

So are we all! :D

14 hours ago, SlytherinWarrior said:

I like posting this real-time graph:

d.png

That enormous drop to 0 in spring 2017 marks the end of the dark times.

I am super happy that this thread is so awesome, and just wanted to stop by and say you all are awesome, and I hope I will throw out some descriptions, get some dragons named, and remind people how awesome this Group is, how awesome Dragon Descriptions are to create, participate in reviewing, share and to also get involved with the events this group does, and great love for you all forever. Thanks for making Geeky Grammar Great Again!

Sorry if my descriptions are long, I just like to test my writing/grammar skills and listen to comments where part of my descriptions need to be fixed or can be improved.

It's unsettling though that I have a few blank accepts, then wait for a month for an abstain/reject with constructive criticism. I worry about my other descriptions that have not received comments yet ^_^'

Edited by BlueLatios
I'm so lazy to proofread anything if it's not description making lol

I keep hitting the end of the queue in my reviewing so I must have seen yours @BlueLatios. I have no problem with long descriptions! (Or short, even, so long as the description is well-written.)

18 minutes ago, Lagie said:

I keep hitting the end of the queue in my reviewing so I must have seen yours @BlueLatios. I have no problem with long descriptions! (Or short, even, so long as the description is well-written.)

Thanks Lagie :v

I should do reviewing too someday.

Also, are clan-like descriptions okay? At first I don't understand what a dragon's description meant, but after seeing multiple dragon descriptions from the same owner, I start to grasp what kind of "group" the dragons are in. Or kingdoms, families, and the like. I have trouble with guidelines on these.

Clans are fine so long as the description of the clan is only part of the total. A paragraph about the individual is also needed.

7 hours ago, Natayah said:

Thanks for making Geeky Grammar Great Again!

Hey. Geeky Grammar has always been great! Sometimes we just get quiet.

4 hours ago, BlueLatios said:

Also, are clan-like descriptions okay? At first I don't understand what a dragon's description meant, but after seeing multiple dragon descriptions from the same owner, I start to grasp what kind of "group" the dragons are in. Or kingdoms, families, and the like. I have trouble with guidelines on these.

There needs no description of the group itself unless not describing it would confuse the reader. I very often make up settings and place names on the spot and go on to talk about the subject because it really doesn't matter what the setting is about in that particular description. If a description's main point (?) cannot be understood without referring to another, then there's a problem and I would reject it.

Also, there are no guidelines for what clans should/could be other than the dragon's breed description and a general assumption (I think?) that dragons can reside in a big group under one entity (usually the user). A description in the queue says So-and-So is part of [username]'s Scroll/Cave/Clan/etc. (and then doesn't elaborate what the Scroll/Cave/Clan is) is common in user descriptions and has been for as long as I can remember.

Lol I panicked when I saw my Accepts for a dragon description were gone and almost resubmitted a description, I didn't realise it happens when a description is (finally took long enough) approved!

Whoever approved, you got me back to the writing mood again for a while :D thanks!

16 hours ago, BlueLatios said:

Lol I panicked when I saw my Accepts for a dragon description were gone and almost resubmitted a description, I didn't realise it happens when a description is (finally took long enough) approved!

Whoever approved, you got me back to the writing mood again for a while :D thanks!

Hey, Latios, if it helps, sometimes if it seems like its taken awhile for your description to get approved (although you need to at least give it two weeks - I'm sure you do, but just saying for anyone else who is reading this), sometimes its helpful to actually post the description here for some feedback to help spruce it up (because if enough people who have enough "points" due to their good review history, or your description finally reaches a certain number of "points" by people who have accepted it and think it is good, it will automatically start showing to a lot of the player base as long as they have that turned on (and they really should, I will let someone else post a reminder of how to do that, and then go copy it and put it as a thing to do in the Player Activity thread), it is just as good as having a MOD approve it because now a lot of active players can see it anyway, and it is probably on its way to being "MOD APPROVED" very soon. Also, you may notice, it is not a secret that Mods hang out in this Thread. Post your description here, get some feedback, make some tweaks, and you **might** find the process not taking nearly as long.

This group, even though they don't carry anything other than a dime store sheriff badge, really are like Mini Mods when it comes to the Description Process. The Mods know them, trust their judgement, and *ALL* reviewers who review and leave comments help make the Mods job much faster to accept and reject. So getting it fancied up here, or people telling you it is just fine as it is, is really a good stamp of approval to have. And anytime you aren't sure, this is the BEST place to come. I want to see you go crazy with those descriptions. But to help move the process along, remember the only reason yours is taking a bit is because there are others in the queue too. So if you consider doing like - Ok, I'll set a goal to review.... 20 dragon reviews a week (something small, something easy, you can certainly do more, but when it comes to goal setting, start with simple easy goals you can meet and work up from there), it means that more reviewed descriptions get approved/rejected by mods faster which means *ALL* dragons waiting get approved faster. So just something to consider. And if you ever have questions about asking help about about reviewing, ask here, and if you really just don't know, sometimes it is ok to just click the "Neutral" option and let someone else who is better at picking finer things apart tackle it. That is not cheating. It *IS CHEATING* If you do that all the time though. That is just a waste of everyone's time, so don't do that. I do not review nearly as much as I should and since I am trying to push the Description Activity a bit more as we swing into fall (I just get inspired to encourage that right before NoMo or whatnot Month in November); but even I have to limit myself cuz I can get a bit anxious after too much grammar especially if it is a lot of the same repeating bad behavior in language that is gone OVER and OVER again. (I'm a lot less patient with people being silly, and I put a lot of effort into making sure I am seen as a shiny happy person holding hands and dancing with the Community so we all Play Together and have more Fun together), that I don't want to be mean and cranky just because I pushed myself a bit past my niceness patience. So it is ok to take it in small doses. But... it does really help. And I have being a hypocrite saying "Oh everyone go do this, but I don't actually do it cuz lazy." I mean my life is busy, I have things to balance - but I also gotta practice what I preach. So lets do small doses and raise our totally not filled with any substance not PG-13 safe or legal glasses and toast to the small dose! Multiple doses causes osmosis... or something like that. Look this is about Grammar, but a TON of people are science here and are gonna pelt me with moldy cheese and make me listen to that whiny SockToes Dragon. That is far worse than anything else they could do!