Descripforce

Description Force!

See, I don't do poems so I didn't know they can come without! 

I did manage to knock the number of descriptions below 1,000, mostly by knocking out Awdz 😛

9 hours ago, Kaini said:

See, I don't do poems so I didn't know they can come without! 

I did manage to knock the number of descriptions below 1,000, mostly by knocking out Awdz 😛

Thanks! :D

They're down to 800! Woo!

Random, but I wish I could describe my leetle tree...

Thank you to whichever mod approved the descriptions I had pending. Also would it be ok if I mention that a Howler Drake has markings on its wings that are a little more orange then usual? It needs to be the case for a description I have in mind to work but I don't want to write the whole thing out if it won't be workable

Edited by Chaos Rider

56 minutes ago, Lagie said:

That should be fine, @Chaos Rider, but it's 'than usual' not 'then'. XD

I'm trying to get all the grammer mistakes out of the way before i write the description

And here it is:

The markings on Cegeth’s wings are more orange than is usual for Howler Drakes. She is also obsessed with the colour orange and will eat any orange foods she can find. One day she dug up a long, pointy orange tuber that got stuck in her throat as she tried to swallow it. She reared up on her hind legs, outstretched her wings, bobbed her head up and down and made horrendous noises while trying to get it unstuck. Unbeknownst to her a Pygmy Dragon was wandering through the jungle. The Pygmy Dragon looked up and saw a dark dragon, with horns and orange wing markings making dreadful noises while shaking its head in an aggressive manner. It was an Avatar of Destruction! Thought the Pygmy as he ran off hoping it hadn’t seen him.

Edited by Chaos Rider

7 hours ago, Chaos Rider said:

It was an Avatar of Destruction! Thought the Pygmy as he ran off hoping it hadn’t seen him.

It's cute! But that last line is a little unwieldy. Maybe something like this would work? - 

'Eek! An Avatar of Destruction!' thought the mistaken pygmy as he ran off hoping the terrifying dragon hadn't seen him.

Howdy! I decided to throw together a description for a dragon of mine a while back, and just got around to checking the status (mostly because I forgot). On his page, it says the description was rejected, but I don't see any reasoning/comments as to why. As far as I'm aware it follows all the rules, but if it breaks one I don't know which. It's a creative writing piece that I scraped together because the dragon's code is MuDur (terribly fitting for a vine, no?).

Halp? x) 

Rejected User Description

There was a time that the grasslands might have known peace; it was a quiet place, disrupted only occasionally by a squabble or songs of rejoice. Never was there reason to fear the earth and the flora that grew from it.

And then, He was born.

It is not unusual for a dragon of His kind to be aggressive and prone to outbursts of extreme nature. But He was silent. He was unmoving. He made no such outbursts, behaved with no more animosity than any of the others who dwelled amiably in the grasslands. His siblings, forever young, thought to leave him alone for the strangeness of his stoic nature.

And then, He grew.

The grasslands have not known love or life since the moment of his blossoming. His siblings were the first sacrificed to the grave of His grasslands, and many others were soon to follow. He bore no name of human origin, but the whispers of His ancestors that claimed Him for the darkest seed they had yet to plant:

Murder.

I'm no expert but POSSIBLY the capitals for He.. - "disrespectful to religion" or something ?If I were a mod I'd have given it an A* I think it's fantastic.

On 6/17/2018 at 3:22 AM, FuggleBuggle said:

Oh, what I meant was that it’s kind of awkward to switch from ‘you’ and ‘your’ to ‘he, she, they, etc’. I managed though!

I would like some help on smoothing a specific description. The pronouns make it a bit confusing •~•;

“Eloctri can get very upset if his owner goes to bed before he wakes up. He drags his body around his owner's window (inchworm style) stubbornly refusing to stop until somebody wakes up from the noise. Eloctri will not be satisfied until someone (peferably someone he is close to) spends a good hour stargazing with him.”

Preferably is spelt wrong.

50 minutes ago, hazeh said:

Halp? x) 

Maybe what Fuzz said, but mod rejections always (in my experience) come with a comment. No comment (again in my experience) means either the comment didn't stick for whatever reason or the click on the "Reject" was a mistake. I don't see anything wrong with the capital-H "He". You have this terrifying dark beast who not only kills everything around him but says nothing at all - that's worthy of fear and respect.

47 minutes ago, Dirtytabs said:

Maybe what Fuzz said, but mod rejections always (in my experience) come with a comment. No comment (again in my experience) means either the comment didn't stick for whatever reason or the click on the "Reject" was a mistake. I don't see anything wrong with the capital-H "He". You have this terrifying dark beast who not only kills everything around him but says nothing at all - that's worthy of fear and respect.

Hm. Should I resubmit it then, and see if it comes with a comment this time around? x) 

And yeah, that's exactly what I was going for with the capitalization. It's not something exclusively religious, or to any particular religion anyway, so I find grounds of it being disrespectful to religion a little...well, biased, I guess? Especially since it references nothing about religion. 

No harm in resubmitting :) 

@hazeh It's code is MuDur asdfkjdf.

I think I remember reading that one actually? And I thought it was hilarious... so it must have been my misclick, I'm sorry! I always comment on rejects now unless they're obviously trolling (like... 'lolz this is a description' trolling).

If you resubmit it I'll go find it! Sorry I'm about as efficient as a pig on stilts guys but I'm getting through them slowly! ;u;

I have a question for the mods who do this stuff.

I was reviewing this morning. I very often point out spelling or grammar bloops. If I had a description up and waiting, I would probably make any suggested changes if a reviewer had pointed something out. But it seems to me that you then lose all your “accepts” and have to start again. Is that true and if so is there any way make it NOT true ? OR – when a mod gets to that, do they make the changes ? If not, rather than reject outright any that NEED a change, maybe they could even contact the user and ask them to do so – and THEN approve. It seems counterproductive (and a way to make the queues even longer) to have to start over with even a small change suggested by a reviewer…

Yes, the little approve/reject rating system starts over if you made edits and resubmit. @Fuzzbucket

It's not a huge deal though - I don't take the approve/reject ratings at face value and I'll approve descriptions that are just new and have 0 if they come up random for me and read fine.

I can make small grammar/punctuation edits, but I prefer not to unless it's... very minor. I'd rather let the user do it, but if it's very small and doesn't change any of the wording/intent I will to get it through.

I don't think contacting the reviewer would work... I'm going through hundreds of these, it would just slow things down even more if I had to track people down via their scroll name, see if they have a forum account, and PM them about editing their description. I'll just reject if it has a lot of issues, with notes on how it can be improved and let them know they should resubmit. If they don't have a forum account, that's the only way to reach them anyway, with a reject.

Rejects aren't like, hard and set in stone! Usually it just means some change needs to be made, then resubmit. Don't be afraid to submit the same thing as long as it wasn't rejected for being inappropriate (like, outright racist or sexual) or spammy.

Sure but imagine if you've been waiting a few months (you guys are overworked; that is NOT a criticism) and it's rejected (and don't you then lose comments ?) - having to start from scratch could be very annoying. It would perhaps at least be good to have a standard response pointing to this thread where they could post and see what needs doing ? Yes this would rule out non-forum players, but still...

Yea, you lose the comments, too, but you lose them if it's accepted as well? Like I said, having a lower score isn't going to set you back hugely in my mind, a description can go from nothing to a high score in just a day, if users go through them! And while I certainly take the accept/reject rating into account, it doesn't have a huge bearing on my decisions because I just... read the descriptions myself if they have nothing said by users.

The user ratings help a great deal, but they're not necessary. I have put plenty of descriptions through that had none and I just proofread myself.

I'm also trying really hard to make sure it doesn't take months from now on ;u; I've gotten really far!

You don't need them if it's accepted. But if one comment has made a really good suggestion, and the player doesn't see it before the rejection, that advice is gone for ever. I  realise that loads are perfectly perfect the minute they are written - I realise that player votes often - probably even usually - aren't that important, and certainly counting votes to decide is silly -  but in the case of a rejection, being able to see what suggestions were made could be useful.

I am NOT trying to give you more work, just thinking noisily ! Because if one could SEE after a rejection what would make the difference, an approval in the end should be quicker for you. I know you are doing brilliantly, and great kudos to you. THANK you ! :wub:

OK I'll go away now 413471624.jpg

You're fine! I want to do better and the feedback is good!

When a description is rejected, you should still see the user comments that came before the mod reject BEFORE you resubmit, I think? That way you can take both into account before you resubmit.

Edited by Kaini
typo lol

OK - that's how it should be. The only one I ever had rejected, it hadn't been rejected before I saw a rather worrying reject comment, and I appealed to Sock for clarification; Sock agreed with me and accepted it on the spot - so I wasn't sure...

Edited by Fuzzbucket

5 minutes ago, Kaini said:

You're fine! I want to do better and the feedback is good!

When a description is rejected, you should still see the user comments that came the mod reject BEFORE you resubmit, I think? That way you can take both into account before you resubmit.

Yes, you do. When one of mine was mod rejected, I could also still see the user comments on it (and had to do a major revamp to get it to work!)

If it's a really simple fix, like a comma or an obvious typo, I will accept a description, figuring it's mod-fixable. Anything more than that, I abstain and put the corrections needed.

1 minute ago, Lagie said:

Yes, you do. When one of mine was mod rejected, I could also still see the user comments on it (and had to do a major revamp to get it to work!)

If it's a really simple fix, like a comma or an obvious typo, I will accept a description, figuring it's mod-fixable. Anything more than that, I abstain and put the corrections needed.

Oh thank goodness, I was PRETTY sure but not 100% sure and if they didn't still show, writing 'see user comments' in a reject would be REALLY useless, lol! Because that's what I'll put if the user comments cover everything that needs changed (and I'm not comfortable making the change myself - like I said I'll only do small punctuation errors and spelling if it doesn't change anything otherwise).