Descripforce

Description Force!

2 minutes ago, AislinnSi said:

I wonder, would it be "weird" to give a dragon a "job" so to speak? They're "highly-intelligent" and capable of using magic, so I'd imagine they'd be capable of at least helping humans with a lot of mundane tasks and occupations; like a plumber with a sea serpent who helped clean aqueducts, or pygmies being messengers, or even a script dragon becoming a scribe and learning the words of humans? I think it would be interesting.

It's not strange at all. In fact I wouldn't even assume the jobs had to be human-centric ... who says the dragons don't have their own society and jobs among themselves? I've seen many, many descriptions go both ways.

2 minutes ago, Kaini said:

It's not strange at all. In fact I wouldn't even assume the jobs had to be human-centric ... who says the dragons don't have their own society and jobs among themselves? I've seen many, many descriptions go both ways.

That's an interesting take, I hadn't even considered that the dragons might possibly have their own society and duties. x)

Coincidentally, one of my dragons' descriptions just got a reject for describing his job. So not everyone's on board with dragons holding human-like jobs. :P

On Fri Feb 22 2019 at 12:57 PM, Dirtytabs said:

Coincidentally, one of my dragons' descriptions just got a reject for describing his job. So not everyone's on board with dragons holding human-like jobs. :P

Really?!? How bizarre.

Ooh, was that the heartseeker? Just had him in my queue.

Edited by Lagie

On 2/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, Dirtytabs said:

>:V Rude person!

I got a reject on one of my descriptions and the person didn't even say why... with three accepts as well.

Edited by AislinnSi

Welcome to the club - meeting the 'commentless rejecter' is a kinf of initiation rite around her ;)

Just to be clear, some of those might just be misclicks. Otherwise just ignore the comment-less rejects, otherwise you'd just go crazy.

1 minute ago, Herk said:

Welcome to the club - meeting the 'commentless rejecter' is a kinf of initiation rite around her ;)

Just to be clear, some of those might just be misclicks. Otherwise just ignore the comment-less rejects, otherwise you'd just go crazy.

Is it really that easy as a misclick? I can't wait to would hate to misclick when reviewing a description. So far I only have 9 dragons so I can't review yet, though in 5 hours I will be able to!

1 hour ago, AislinnSi said:

Is it really that easy as a misclick? I can't wait to would hate to misclick when reviewing a description. So far I only have 9 dragons so I can't review yet, though in 5 hours I will be able to!

The approval button and reject button are next to each other, so indeed a possibility. Seeing a lot of Rejects, though, make me assume someone's just bored and hitting that reject button on everything.

There IS a dialogue box that pops up asking if you're sure you want to approve/reject/null vote, but it's easy to hit the enter key without paying attention. >.>

BTW, the Reject did have a comment explaining why, so it wasn't one of those careless clicker/bored commentless rejecters: "Reject: Dragon description please, not job description." There's also "Abstain: Be more descriptive of the dragon's character. This should not be a job description. Capitalize "He"."... so someone just doesn't like "job descriptions". :rolleyes:

Edited by Dirtytabs

9 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

The approval button and reject button are next to each other, so indeed a possibility. Seeing a lot of Rejects, though, make me assume someone's just bored and hitting that reject button on everything.

There IS a dialogue box that pops up asking if you're sure you want to approve/reject/null vote, but it's easy to hit the enter key without paying attention. >.>

BTW, the Reject did have a comment explaining why, so it wasn't one of those careless clicker/bored commentless rejecters: "Reject: Dragon description please, not job description." There's also "Abstain: Be more descriptive of the dragon's character. This should not be a job description. Capitalize "He"."... so someone just doesn't like "job descriptions".

I feel like they've updated the description system since I last got to use it. (I lost my old scroll's log in information about 4-5 years ago) I got a comment similar to that "dragon description only" please on the subject of my Heartseeker. His description was mostly about his overly endearing affection towards Madame Damask but apparently it wasn't describing him enough.  :rolleyes:

And on the subject of descriptions:

zAnX3w1.png

I don't know, I think the only ones who manage to sneak past her ever-watchful eyes are bugs, birds, and the smallest of pygmies! I wouldn't stop you if you wanted to climb over the garden wall, though. I just wouldn't be able to guarantee your safety should she see you... ;)

The description system has been updated a few times since 4-5 years ago. Wait 'til you see the description queue. :) 

Outta curiosity, what would you guys consider your favorite/best of your descriptions? Since I got access to the description review, I've been having fun reading and critiquing all the different stories and I've come across quite a few good ones.

Conversely, you ever written a description you don't particularly like a lot? I've been OCD about my descriptions and writing one for every dragon even if I don't think it's the best I could do. 😅

I managed to release a dragon I had written a description for, so generic (the description) I clearly forgot I'd written it! XD

There's a thread in Site Discussion for Approved Descriptions if you want to read some that many people have written over the years.

Mine are here: https://dragcave.net/group/9433

And I'm particularly fond of this one - https://dragcave.net/view/QCBG - which was the result of a DraDeWriMo prompt (a pig).

We need to schedule a DraDeWriMo again! 

(Dragon Description Writing Month)

15 hours ago, Lagie said:

We need to schedule a DraDeWriMo again! 

(Dragon Description Writing Month)

SHH, wait until I get the queue lower! X'D

How about a celebration for when it gets knocked out again?

5 hours ago, Kaini said:

SHH, wait until I get the queue lower! X'D

How about a celebration for when it gets knocked out again?

Sounds like a plan!

I keep hitting the end of my review queue.

Checked in on a few of my descriptions today out of curiosity. Been awhile since I had any feedback on them--positive or otherwise.

Found someone commenting on my "grammer" on the one and I still can't take it seriously. 

Was told "Don't story tell" in the same breath as well. If descriptions are limited to only personality traits as they say that is.... Rather boring. Our stories make our character, so I used that space to tell a story.

Suppose I'll have to see what the mods think.

Edited by BrazenChase

2 hours ago, BrazenChase said:

Checked in on a few of my descriptions today out of curiosity. Been awhile since I had any feedback on them--positive or otherwise.

Found someone commenting on my "grammer" on the one and I still can't take it seriously. 

Was told "Don't story tell" in the same breath as well. If descriptions are limited to only personality traits as they say that is.... Rather boring. Our stories make our character, so I used that space to tell a story.

Suppose I'll have to see what the mods think.

lol, imagine if we could only used personality traits to describe the dragon. No physical traits, no information about their life, etc. etc.

That would be ridiculously boring; the stories makes the dragon! (Plus it's fun to see all the different DC headcanons and "clans" people come up with and all the cool stories they write!) 

4 hours ago, BrazenChase said:

I've seen that on a few of mine, and... I guess at least they didn't comment that my "speling" needs work.

I've recently come back to DragCave again, and the 'description comments' thread that used to be parallel to this one seems to be dead. Is that the case, and if so, should I put replies/comments to description comments here? I mean, since I got a few I was amused by on one  of my pipos...

Also: is the IRC chatroom still in use? ...Or, I recall there was a discord (I think) that was mentioned somewhere in the vast middle of this thread and was never added to the first post. Is that still being used?

...I'm also not seeing any signed comments. Since it looks like the same crew is still reviewing, was there an announcement/warning/something about not doing that which I've missed? Or...?

7 hours ago, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

I've recently come back to DragCave again, and the 'description comments' thread that used to be parallel to this one seems to be dead. Is that the case, and if so, should I put replies/comments to description comments here? I mean, since I got a few I was amused by on one  of my pipos...

I'm sure you could post your comments here, I remember the old thread as well. (Though I haven't seen it around since coming back)

7 hours ago, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

Also: is the IRC chatroom still in use? ...Or, I recall there was a discord (I think) that was mentioned somewhere in the vast middle of this thread and was never added to the first post. Is that still being used? 

IRC doesn't really seem to be used anymore; the discord is pretty darn active (every time I check there's 50+ new messages in multiple channels)

Here's an invite link to the Discord: https://discord.gg/raFSFqf

That's the general discord though isn't it?

We do have a descripdoom channel here but that's been pretty dead too :(

Thanks for the link.
Herk (who according to the first post has access to the Descripdoom account), would you mind putting that link on the first page of this thread so that it's accessible to those who weren't paying attention when it appeared the first time?

On an entirely different note, for this dragon:

Abstain: Um. You know you can't 'grow' prunes, right?

I know someone who insists the european varieties of plum/prune are 'prunes' even when fresh, and I was trying to distinguish between them and the asian sorts so my duotone's heads could have similar-but-different ideas of what to grow. Since the aforementioned continents are not Valkemarian, that was the only way I could think of to make that distinction. Do I need to add that into the description somehow, or just make sure the official reviewers know their obscure/regional botany by the time it filters through the que?

27 minutes ago, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

On an entirely different note, for this dragon:

I know someone who insists the european varieties of plum/prune are 'prunes' even when fresh, and I was trying to distinguish between them and the asian sorts so my duotone's heads could have similar-but-different ideas of what to grow. Since the aforementioned continents are not Valkemarian, that was the only way I could think of to make that distinction. Do I need to add that into the description somehow, or just make sure the official reviewers know their obscure/regional botany by the time it filters through the que?

Since that was me... thank you for the botany lesson! :D

Wow, i didn't know I could review other users descriptions! How fun! :)

29 minutes ago, nordana said:

Wow, i didn't know I could review other users descriptions! How fun! :)

It is, isn't it? XD