Descripforce

Description Force!

2 hours ago, Kaini said:

There's sooo many I don't really have the time to sit and correct typoes/grammar if there's a LOT, so those get rejected.

It's much easier to point to (if there are any) user corrections/comments and say, "Follow their suggestions". :D It also saves trouble with users who don't take kindly to mods correcting their descriptions before approving.

2 hours ago, Kaini said:

Hello thread - the queue for descriptions is absolutely huge right now, and I've been trying to chip through it. User comments help a lot!

There's sooo many I don't really have the time to sit and correct typoes/grammar if there's a LOT, so those get rejected. Feel free to re-submit with corrections!

Oh, that's not huge. Back when it was at 12k, now that was huge. 

I'll try to get back into description moderating after I finish the thread cleanups. I don't want our backlog to get above 2k.

Dirtytabs, it's for that reason I don't edit descriptions for proper grammar and approve them. My choice of words may go against the spirit of what someone is trying to say, even if it is grammatically correct. I did when I first started, not anymore.

Oh yea I'll edit in a period if they missed one or something small like that but I'll reject for major grammar issues for that reason.

Also @purpledragonclaw please, you'll give me nightmares :P

I've been trying to make my way through as many as possible, too! User feedback really helps quicken the process so please keep up the good work, everyone. :)

Haven't been here for ages. I'm glad to see new mods are working on reducing the amount of piled works. :)

Here are some cups of tea. xD

Or btw, I have a question.

As I remember after one update we were able to see some pending descriptions directly on view pages (under title of something like pending description or so). Now I noticed that we can't see it anymore?

The review description page has also changed for preview. Is that the reason?

Did I miss any update?

Edited by Shelybear

Kai is half blind and has a piece of cream-ish cloth wrapped over it. As a result, she became colder and more aggressive in nature. But now, she is one of the major healers of the island. She is so aggressive, that she will not hesitate even one bit to kill someone, regardless of the others' judgemental eyes and constant ranting on how off-natured she is for a White dragon.

is this ok???

i see a blank reject

@RainbowTheAlbinoServal I believe I rejected that one because it conflicted with the White Dragon's breed description.

From the description guidelines:

While the goal of being able to describe your dragon is to personalize it and make it unique, the breed descriptions were created as they are for a reason. If a dragon is part of a breed of pacifists, it doesn’t make sense for the dragon to be a bloodthirsty murderer. You don’t have to follow the breed description to the letter, but behaviors that clearly contradict the breed’s concept will likely be rejected.

It also doesn't make sense for the dragon to be a healer but also ready to kill someone at the drop of a hat 😅

6 hours ago, Shelybear said:

As I remember after one update we were able to see some pending descriptions directly on view pages (under title of something like pending description or so). Now I noticed that we can't see it anymore?

Did I miss any update?

AFAIK, pending descriptions should still be visible, though they don't always appear with just one "accept" review. Also, make sure you have "show pending descriptions" enabled in your account settings :)

Edit: just tested, and I can still see pending descriptions, e.g. this dragon from the queue.

Edited by Alectrona

8 hours ago, Shelybear said:

Haven't been here for ages. I'm glad to see new mods are working on reducing the amount of piled works. :)

Here are some cups of tea. xD

Did I miss any update?

Have you checked the 'show pending descriptions' in your Account Settings?

And yes, the review page changed to show the entire dragon description so you could see the breed description to help with reviewing.

Rainbow, that first sentence doesn't make sense. "Kai is half blind and has a piece of cream-ish cloth wrapped over it." It? Wrapped over what?

Kai is half blind and has a piece of cream-ish cloth wrapped over her eye. As a result, she became colder and more aggressive in nature. But now, she is one of the major healers of the island, but she forcibly heals others instead. She wouldn't hesitate to severely injure whoever injured a patient, or even kill them in cases where she's in a really bad mood.

How's this?

3 minutes ago, RainbowTheAlbinoServal said:

How's this?

Personally, I still think this goes against a White dragon's breed description. They are described as "pacifists" and to me that suggests that they avoid conflict at all costs and try to mediate whenever necessary between conflicting parties. Becoming 'aggressive' in nature, as well as not hesitating to 'severely injure' 'or even kill' goes against this breed description and isn't consistent with their characterisation as pacifists. 

15 hours ago, Alectrona said:

AFAIK, pending descriptions should still be visible, though they don't always appear with just one "accept" review. Also, make sure you have "show pending descriptions" enabled in your account settings :)

Edit: just tested, and I can still see pending descriptions, e.g. this dragon from the queue.

13 hours ago, Lagie said:

Have you checked the 'show pending descriptions' in your Account Settings?

And yes, the review page changed to show the entire dragon description so you could see the breed description to help with reviewing.

Thanks. Yes I can see that one in example. I have also tested myself yesterday by trying a few of dragons in the queue, sadly none of them have this section. So maybe the reason is some of them have only a few 'accept'? From how many 'accept' will they get published under pending description?

1 hour ago, Shelybear said:

Thanks. Yes I can see that one in example. I have also tested myself yesterday by trying a few of dragons in the queue, sadly none of them have this section. So maybe the reason is some of them have only a few 'accept'? From how many 'accept' will they get published under pending description?

It seems to depend on which users do the reviewing, not on the number. I have had some show with one accept, while others can have five or six or more and still not be visible. I call it 'description magic'. XD

On 6/4/2018 at 3:25 AM, Shelybear said:

What Lagie said. There's an invisible stat (whatever that is) that counts how many times your judgment agreed with a moderator's. If review a lot and you Accept/Reject the same descriptions that mods do, your "trusted reviewer" score goes up, meaning your later Accepts/Rejects are more likely to affect whether the description appears as a pending user description.

So if you see your description has 3 Rejects and 1 Accept and it appears as pending on the creature's page, it means that that one Accept reviewer has a great deal of influence. If you're curious some time and see the opportunity, you may test your reviewer stat: find an unacceptable description in the queue, open in another tab to see if it appears as pending, and hit that Reject button. If after a refresh the description disappears, you have a lot of reviewer power. :) 

While I'm here, I'd like to thank these two reviewers XD:

Paul and Carl are complete opposites and never agree on anything. Carl is a self-destructive, remorseless psychopath who kills indiscriminately and has creative uses for the corpses he leaves. Hence the dragon made entirely out of meat hanging around outside their cave. Whenever Carl is chided, he refuses to take blame for anything he does and sometimes makes a halfhearted attempt to explain his behavior away. He also keeps forgetting Paul's name, despite them being two heads on the same being. Paul, unable to prevent Carl from doing as he pleases, is forced to go along for the ride. Though it seems Paul has barely any control of their body, if they were separate individuals and Paul fled, Carl would be much worse off.

Accept:

Accept: "CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRLL?LL that kills people!" +1
Accept:
Accept: Good ~A

Edited by Dirtytabs
I cannot count...

Kai was blinded by another dragon in a quarrel for territory some times ago. After the event, she became lost in thoughts, and no longer believes in peace. She became colder, more distant and much less likely to help others, and her treatments are often forceful and less than uncomfortable. Although, she had become a master at the arts of healing, she still prefers to not waste her magic, or so in her opinion. She won't hesitate to badly injure someone when in a really bad mood.

Ok, how's this?

Edited by RainbowTheAlbinoServal

Remove the last sentence and I'd approve it. Also 'thoughts' should be 'thought', and 'less than uncomfortable' should be 'less than comfortable'.

Although, she had become a master at the arts of healing, she still prefers to not waste her magic, or so in her opinion.

This sentence is also really... awkward. Maybe just 'Although she had become a master of healing, she still prefers not to waste her magic.'

On 6/4/2018 at 7:05 PM, Dirtytabs said:

What Lagie said. There's an invisible stat (whatever that is) that counts how many times your judgment agreed with a moderator's. If review a lot and you Accept/Reject the same descriptions that mods do, your "trusted reviewer" score goes up, meaning your later Accepts/Rejects are more likely to affect whether the description appears as a pending user description.

So if you see your description has 3 Rejects and 1 Accept and it appears as pending on the creature's page, it means that that one Accept reviewer has a great deal of influence. If you're curious some time and see the opportunity, you may test your reviewer stat: find an unacceptable description in the queue, open in another tab to see if it appears as pending, and hit that Reject button. If after a refresh the description disappears, you have a lot of reviewer power. :) 

While I'm here, I'd like to thank this one reviewer XD:

Awww that explains! Thanks s lot!

Btw the last reviewer looks like me. lol. I remember seeing this description yesterday (or the day before yesterday) and that ~A is most likely me. I used to use 'Autumn' as id on IRC in describdoom (couldn't remember the exactly name now, it's been a long while). I have a similar described two-headed dragon (the 'never agree on anything' setting), therefore I do like this description. xD

P.S. Please do not list me yet. I haven't really decided whether I would like to continue using Autumn or actually switch back to my original id. <3

Nadelle has a fiery personality, and she is friendly but difficult to please. Occasionally, when she's angered, frightened, or excited, her head and wingtips burst into flame. That's enough to keep anyone from snooping around her hoard. Though it doesn't seem to hurt Nadelle, she has to manually put the fire out (i.e. roll around) to be rid of it. Because she isn't native to this side of Delta-Tango D, people wonder if she brought a curse with her. Those who view her with suspicion also perpetuate the rumor that she hunts and eats other dragons, but that's really hard to believe given her small size.

Moderator Reject: I'm going to reject this as going against the breed description, bursting into flame...

I wish to contest. Magic exists in this setting, making nearly anything possible. It's not explicitly stated in the breed description that freckled dragons aren't capable of magic use, and it'd be unfair to assume "doesn't mention a skill" = "incapable of that skill". I also specifically brought up the possibility that the dragon is cursed.

That's fair. My thought was it would fit better for a dragon with a fire affinity, I think. Go ahead and resubmit it. :)

Yay thanks! Resubmitted. :D For the record, the subject's father has fire. I liked the look of the lineage so much that I wanted to incorporate the falconiform half in her description.

I have a vocabulary question:  what is wrong with using the word "fetish" in my description?

This is the description:

This dragon has a fetish for collecting utensils. Many a picnic has been disrupted by his running in to grab a fork or spoon and scurrying away again. He particularly likes barbecue tongs but has been burned on more than one occasion in trying to get them. Ladles are another rare prize for him. Knives he has collected mostly from what has been thrown at him by those disrupted by his antics - he does not appreciate their sharp edges given the injuries he has sustained from them.
Mytensils arranges his prizes according to size and design in his lair. Even though he has collected thousands of items, he only can make three perfectly matched table settings.

These are the comments I received. 

User Comments

• Accept: Utensils? Mytensils? Do you perhaps have another called Metensils?
  • Accept: *drops a spork and scurries away*
  • Moderator Reject: Can we use a word besides fetish? proclivity, maybe?
  • Accept:
  • Accept: super cute

Fetish fits perfectly. It has a stronger feel to it than proclivity for describing an obsessive interest. Is there a list of auto-reject words somewhere that I should check before submitting my descriptions?

I guess I'll use "obsessive need to collect" instead of "fetish for collecting" in order to get it approved, but I am not happy that what I see as a G-rated definition gets rejected for this.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins
revised wording

@Awdz Bodkins The issue is that a word like 'fetish' carries sexual connotations. While you aren't using it in that specific context, if there is an alternative word/phrase that works instead, then that would be preferable to avoid the use of a word like 'fetish'. I don't think it harms the definition at all to change it to 'proclivity', 'obsessive need' or 'compulsive need'. I don't want to speak for another mod, so they can correct me if they're wrong, but I imagine it was less a case of this word being inappropriate and more a case that an alternative would be more appropriate. Rejections don't necessarily mean that descriptions are inappropriate; they can just mean that there is something that could be improved before being displayed publicly on the site. 

And no, there is no list of auto-reject words, as it would be impossible to cover ever possible scenario when something might be rejected. I'd just consider looking for alternatives in future if you're thinking of using a word that is often used in another context that is not quite so G-rated, just to be on the safe side. :)

Edited by StormWizard212

What StormWizard said - 'fetish' does have a definitively sexual definition. While there's also a non-sexual definition, there are better words that could be used that don't have the sexual connotation at all that are probably a better choice on a kid's website.

There's no set list of 'bad' words aside from... well, obvious curse words, so it's kinda up to us to decide what is and isn't appropriate and I think in this case I agree there are better words you could use that wouldn't change the meaning significantly. It's just on a case-by-case basis, not much else we can do. And another mod may not agree, I dunno.

And yea rejections aren't set in stone! You can always edit and resubmit, or seek the opinion of another mod.

Thank you for the clarifications. I guess I did not really think of fetish in sexual terms, just excited obsession - must be the context in which I picked it up way back when.  TIL the more current definition.

Edited by Awdz Bodkins

I was going to do this as an edit to my post above, but it has been hours since I put that there and I want this flagged as a new question.

I have another description that was rejected but this time it without any reason. Was it a slip or can someone tell me why this description for a female avatar of creation (named Furrymom) was rejected?

This dragon was raised by her mother to appreciate small furry creatures. She has made it her life's work to help them grow with a very healthy coat.
One researcher seeking to study this dragon heard that she liked furry creatures, so he dressed up as one. Upon encountering Furrymom, his disguise melded to his skin and he grew two inches. He is now stuck in furry form and has produced very hairy children.

And one more:

I also have a description that I want to have the examples laid out on separate lines, but I am being told I may not have so may lines???  I do not want a wall of text. I tried using a list format, and that was rejected. Taking out the punctuation lead in to the sentence does not look as good, but I tried it and that got rejected too.

How can I have the examples within the description for my male cassare Negater stand out separately and still get approved? I have never had a description disapproved for too many individual lines before - and even poems have been approved. I get that straight lists of individual words and such do not fit the scroll format, but these are full sentences. Since a description may be as short as a full sentence, why cannot each paragraph be?

This strong dragon has angered many people by innocently negating beneficial magic.

Magical repairs to a dam were undone when he napped by the lake, causing flooding.

A happy couple became a warring pair, when the love potion slipped into their wedding drinks was dissipated by his looking in their window and sighing at how content they looked.

Dancing lights at a town's celebration went out when he flew by.

Crops blessed to grow well despite a drought withered when he stopped for a snack.

Negater does not mean to undo the magic. He just does not know how to suppress his aura.