edwardelricfreak

Steven Universe!

i'm sure it'll get worked out eventually, it's probably just gonna be a while before her arc gets started. peridot's arc took a while from her initial appearance, too. also i have a feeling we might see the cluster again? i could be wrong but considering what a huge plot point she is i feel like she might come up

... and maybe centipeetle..........

also i've heard people say bismuth's voice actress might be difficult to get as a frequently occuring character which could play some part in it, but you never know

Edited by Switch

I think Bismuth will get another shot if Jasper gets a redemption arc (she's getting a lot of screen time now). If they can show even gems like her that there is another way, then convincing Bismuth not to give up on Homeworld gems will be easier.

Think about it. Bismuth admitted it wasn't until she met Rose that she started to see things could be done differently. Who knows how many Homeworld gems just need to be given the same chance?

That episode.

Just....wow.

It's certainly interesting to finally see that it's not just Homeworld gems who have the zealous nature needed to go a step too far. But then, as I saw someone else point out, the Crystal Gems we know have had thousands of years of semi-peace to basically adapt. Bismuth was bubbled that whole time, so for her to change out of that "us or them" mentality would take quite some time.

I really hope she comes back and stays a good guy, even though her belief in Rose has been shaken. Though, we've got former villains going good, so we're kinda overdue a good guy going bad.

I do know one thing, though; I don't trust Rose. I was already sceptical of her, since most of the time when a leader figure is portrayed as so nice and friendly, they turn out to have some very dark secrets. And now that we know Rose was willing to lie about something as huge as Bismuth (pun thoroughly intended), makes me wonder what else she lied about.

And I know, she could've lied to stop others going after the weapon. But in that case, why not destroy it, like Steven did?

This episode caused a lot of questions....

Edited by CharonDusk

I don't know why Rose didn't destory the Breaking Point, though maybe she hoped one day she could talk to Bismuth and get her to do it herself, though given she kept Bismuth bubbled for over 5000 years after the war that theory kinda falls apart.

I think Rose didn't tell the others because she didn't want them to think badly of Bismuth. Bismuth was obviously very popular and admired, so hearing she was prepared to go to such lengths (and may even have attacked Rose when her plan was denied), would have hurt the Crystal Gems deeply. It wasn't the best course of action to take, but I don't think it was done maliciously.

I don't believe that Rose was secretly evil as some people have suggested. I think she was just as prone to making huge mistakes as everyone else, but she was so well loved that many people, like Pearl, put her on this huge pedestal and glossed over her flaws until they inevitably came back to smack them in the face.

Something else I noticed. Bismuth said that she and Pearl stopped a ship, with Pearl taking on the Nephrite. Nephrite is green and sometimes has black markings. We have seen a crashed ship and a corrupted gem crew...with green gems with black markings.

I don't think Rose is evil, either. It's just that, right now, I can't help but wonder what else she hid away. Maybe she hid Bismuth because she wanted people to remember her as a good person, maybe she did it because she was afraid Bismuth's mentality could spread. We don't know. We may never know. But it makes you wonder.

I know Bismuth talked about that with the Nephrite, and it makes sense when you look at the gem and then at Centi, but what I kinda got from Monster Reunion was that Centi was a soldier rather than a pilot, since she was apparently down on Earth in the thick of battle when the Corruption Weapon was fired. Then again, I could be completely wrong on that. I still hope she and her crew will be the first to be fully cured.

And the Bismuth episode hasn't even been out 24 hours and there's already people calling Bismuth a mary-sue, just because of how Garnet and Pearl reacted to her. "Facepalm"

Centi admitted to being a Captain of a ship, so even if she wasn't the pilot, she may still have been on that vessel.

I think Pearl and Garnet being over the top happy at seeing someone they believed dead for over 5000 years is perfectly reasonable.

Good point. And I thought it was a reasonable reaction, too. :| But apparently not for some people.

Something else just occurred to me...why did Rose not unbubble Bismuth when the war was over? After all, there was apparently no immediate threat from Homeworld, and help against the Corrupted would've probably been highly appreciated, so why leave her bubbled?

Whatever the reason, I'm sure we'll (hopefully) find out in a future episode.

Edited by CharonDusk

If I had to make a guess, maybe Rose was worried that Bismuth would want to use the Breaking Point against the Corrupted Gems too? We know that Rose couldn't heal them and was just bubbling them out of hope that things would be different one day, but Bismuth seems to have a 'better off shattered' mentality going on.

Or maybe she felt that Bismuth would hold her responsible for the Flash? Bismuth might have turned around and said "You didn't let me use this weapon, now all of our friends are gone"?

"c'mere sis" BOY i died......

i loved the music that played during smoky quartz' scene i hope it gets posted online

I think Rose didn't tell the others because she didn't want them to think badly of Bismuth. Bismuth was obviously very popular and admired, so hearing she was prepared to go to such lengths (and may even have attacked Rose when her plan was denied), would have hurt the Crystal Gems deeply. It wasn't the best course of action to take, but I don't think it was done maliciously.

I think this is way too fair to Rose and way too unfair to Bismuth. Nobody even tried talking to Bismuth.

Rose knew she was going to re-form into Steven, knew she would be gone, and yet did not tell anybody about Bismuth. There was tons of downtime where she could have un-bubbled Bismuth and talked to her.

Bismuth doesn't really even get time to get used to Earth after Steven un-bubbles her. She missed the whole end of the war, never got to say good-bye to long-dead friends, just discovered Rose never even told her friends what happened to her, is probably severely behind on corrupted gems and forced gem fusions, doesn't quite grasp who/what Steven is, and really was not given the time to come to terms with any of it before she's re-bubbled... and again not given a chance to talk things through.

And I'm not calling Rose pure evil or a bad gem here. I think SU has been pretty clear about even good people making mistakes and not only making mistakes but doing bad things and giving them a chance for redemption. SU has been pretty clear about giving people second chances and being patient with their ignorance and educating them. It's never done this at the cost of anyone's safety, but Steven in particular has pushed for acceptance and second chances. So I'm not calling Rose evil. But I am wondering why Bismuth wasn't afforded a second chance like everybody else, particularly considering she is a Crystal Gem.

I've seen a few people talk about how emotional and hard the ep was on Steven, and that's true. But it was also emotional and hard on Bismuth, and I don't particularly find it fair that Steven, Garnet, and Pearl in particular will get the time to come to grips with how they feel while Bismuth stays, once again, bubbled away, unaware.

/just binged on SU having missed half of s2 and all of s3

Total agreement with Sockpuppet. One of the biggest themes with SU is idea of second chances and using non-violent methods to get through problems. But with Bismuth, she wasn't really given a second chance; she obviously has a lot to take in (the end of the war, the loss of her friends, Rose apparently betraying her, Steven himself) and while the others had thousands of years to adapt, she gets a day. A single day, then she gets sent straight back to gem time-out.

Neither Bismuth nor Rose are evil (that we know of), both just made bad choices. And hopefully, when Bismuth returns, she'll get that second chance and won't turn bad.

Now...that new episode. Holy smoke, that was epic.

· Good to see Lapis and Peridot seem to be relatively comfortable with each other now.

· Smoky Quartz is best fusion and you can't convince me otherwise.

· Knew Jasper would probably be the one to confirm Pink Diamond existed. Was not expecting the idea that she was still part of Homeworld during the war or for confirmation of Corrupted Gem fusion, though...Wait...does this mean Jasper got an FTD?

· Oh hey. It's those dorks again. Time for more baseball.

Now, I know there's gonna be a lot of disagreement with me, but I felt a little bad for Jasper at the end.

She's the "ultimate quartz", but actually that's not necessarily a good thing; being considered "perfect" might mean you stand above the rest, but it also means higher standards to uphold, greater pressure - both internal and external - to BE perfect. And when you fall from a pedestal as high as "perfection", you fall hard.

That comment about fusion suggests, to me at least, quite a few insecurities there. And as cruel and wicked as she's been, nobody deserves to be corrupted.

Edited by CharonDusk

i've always been pretty neutral about jasper, but the "MY DIAMOND" speech ... hoo boy i caught feelings. her voice actress did an excellent job on those lines. that really caught me off guard.

Edited by Switch

Now, I know there's gonna be a lot of disagreement with me, but I felt a little bad for Jasper at the end.

She's the "ultimate quartz", but actually that's not necessarily a good thing; being considered "perfect" might mean you stand above the rest, but it also means higher standards to uphold, greater pressure - both internal and external - to BE perfect. And when you fall from a pedestal as high as "perfection", you fall hard.

That comment about fusion suggests, to me at least, quite a few insecurities there. And as cruel and wicked as she's been, nobody deserves to be corrupted.

Once Pink Diamond was gone, the diamond insignia was vandalized, and soon the pink diamond was removed entirely. Has anyone shown that they know/care who that Diamond was? That the person Jasper blames for eliminating her leader genuinely doesn't know who she was must've been final insult to a fanatically loyal Gem looking for revenge against Rose all this time.

The fusion comment suggests Jasper has no idea what a good relationship looks like, and as someone who was born to fight, she believes failures make her weak. Steven's offer of help is seen as manipulation. That's been her thought process for millennia, and she's been stewing over Rose for that long.

Even Amethyst feels bad for her ("c'mere, sis"), and she was the one so determined to beat her.

I wonder that when the corrupting light/sound was deployed, did it take several minutes for everyone stuck on Earth to turn? That would suck.

Edit: As someone who likes Jasper, I am probably very biased.

Edited by dirtytabs

I think this is way too fair to Rose and way too unfair to Bismuth. Nobody even tried talking to Bismuth.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with Rose keeping Bismuth bubbled for so long, I was just trying to guess what Rose might have been thinking.

I felt so bad for Jasper. Judging by the tone of her voice, she must have really loved Pink Diamond. And we don't know anything about PD either, apart from that she was in charge of the operations on Earth. For all we know, Jasper and PD had a relationship similar to Pearl and Rose.

But yeah, while I have had some suspicions that Rose killed PD for a while, it was still sad to see it confirmed. Poor Steven.

I'm not too worried about Steven being lost in space either. The Gems have the Rubies' ship after all.

Well, to me, this only confirmed one thing; Rubies are dumb. Really dumb. But cute.

At the moment, as sceptical as I am of Rose, I'm not completely buying the "Rose shattered Pink Diamond" thing just yet. That one Ruby claims to have seen it, but we all know Rubies are easily tricked, so who's to say it actually WAS Rose she saw? The only thing swaying me is how Garnet and Pearl reacted, but the only way I'll see it as confirmed is if they SAW it happen. If they just say Rose told them she did it, I won't be completely convinced, because Rose has lied before.

At least we've got a bit of an idea on how PD looked.

Edited by CharonDusk

Actually, I'm neutral on Jasper, and I'm fairly certain I'm pretty far in the minority. I saw a ton of outpouring of sympathy and appreciation for Jasper and her voice actor, particularly after Earthlings.

People really took to Jasper ever since her first appearance ("Big Buff Cheeto Puff" was her immediate tumblr nick, lol). And I def won't be surprised when she gets a redemption arc, particularly now that she's been corrupted.

For me, she's always just been the over the top villain (she literally screams everything she says) just there to create hard-to-beat conflict.

If Jasper's "take me back" speech to Lapis hadn't been nearly a 100% match for the speech my own abuser gave the first time I tried to leave him, I might have felt some sympathy for her in Earthlings, but I remain neutral. After that speech, I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy her, even if she does get redeemed and even if she joins the Crystal Gems.

As for the newest episode, Ruby sitting in Amethyst-Jasper's lap and Ruby saying she could sit on her lap if she needed a ride back to Earth was ADORABLE. Oh my gosh.

Glad to see it confirmed that Rose shattered Pink Diamond. I wonder how we're going to delve further into the story, since Rose is now Steven. Will Ruby reveal more? Will an un-corrupted Jasper reveal more? Will we get to meet a new gem?

Also, I saw leaks/previews(?) for Know Your Fusion, airing at the end of this week, and I am SO EXCITED. It looks so cute/hilarious. I have a feeling after all this Rubies-looking-for-Jasper-nonesense, we're going to need a really cute episode.

I think that Rose actually was Pink Diamond, as per what the fandom thought, but she faked her own shattering somehow and resurfaced as Rose Quartz. Her reasoning was probably because her ideals of letting Gems make their own paths as opposed to doing what they were made to do would have a more powerful message if it was said by an equal rather than a ruler.

Think about it: If one of the Diamond Authority got up and started talking about following your heart and blah, most Gems would just suck up her words without considering them. If your average Quartz soldier said it, on the other hand, the other Gems would be surprised by it and realize that they don't care for their jobs either.

Also, her powers don't seem like they would help in battle, which is what Quartz are generally supposed to do, unless ther Rose variety is designed as cmbat medics or something. And she looks like a queen.

I think that Rose actually was Pink Diamond, as per what the fandom thought, but she faked her own shattering somehow and resurfaced as Rose Quartz. Her reasoning was probably because her ideals of letting Gems make their own paths as opposed to doing what they were made to do would have a more powerful message if it was said by an equal rather than a ruler.

Think about it: If one of the Diamond Authority got up and started talking about following your heart and blah, most Gems would just suck up her words without considering them. If your average Quartz soldier said it, on the other hand, the other Gems would be surprised by it and realize that they don't care for their jobs either.

Also, her powers don't seem like they would help in battle, which is what Quartz are generally supposed to do, unless ther Rose variety is designed as cmbat medics or something. And she looks like a queen.

I've never really bought into the Rose is Pink Diamond theory, and at this point, this seems like like a reach to prove.

1. Can gems re-form as a completely different gem? We haven't seen this yet, and I'm doubting it. If it was possible, they might try healing shattered/broken/contaminated gems that way, but it hasn't come up at all.

2. I actually do think Rose is the type of gem who, if she had been Pink Diamond, would make change from already being in a position of power. I don't think she would have faked her own death. It also could have saved a lot of lives if she had tried to make waves as a diamond rather than a quartz.

3. The Earth colony was Pink Diamond's, so why wouldn't Rose have disbanded all notions of that before reforming?

As for her powers, well, Steven has done pretty well in combat with her powers. Someone on tumblr also pointed out that Amethyst is the only quartz we've seen so far who makes an offensive weapon. Rose makes a shield and Jasper makes a helmet. They can use those in offensive ways, but they're typically defensive weapons. So I think Rose's powers fit in fine with other quartz soldiers, it's just that we've mostly seen Steven using them, so it may not seem like it.

All that being said, I have been completely wrong regarding fan theory before, so who knows? =p

~

And oh my gosh, did I forget to specifically mention that I'm absolutely in love with Smoky Quartz!?!? How could I? D|

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

While I would love to learn more about Pink Diamond (well, all of the Diamonds really), I really don't think Rose is/was secretly her. Faking her death so that she could go to war and fight against those who had sworn loyalty to her would be going too far. Could you imagine how those that once followed PD would react to this? The Rubies? Jasper? No. Just no.

I'm really starting to feel sorry for Steven. For the past threeish seasons he has been struggling to live up to his mother's legacy, but these last few episodes have shown her in a whole new light for him. Will he now want to follow in Rose's footsteps? There are so many things he doesn't know and hasnt been told. I just hope we're not going to have a breaking of trust between him and the Gems at some point.

Also, am I the only one who misses Peridot's limb enhancers? I love the little Dorito, but I kinda miss how expressive her robo fingers were.

*cuddles for Sockie*

Also, am I the only one who misses Peridot's limb enhancers? I love the little Dorito, but I kinda miss how expressive her robo fingers were.

*cuddles for Sockie*

No, I miss them, too! Although I do enjoy her being short. xP

Thankies. <3

Yeah, the whole "Rose was Pink Diamond" never really held much water with me. Way too many things contradicting it, the biggest of which Sock has pointed out; her gem. It's in the right place, but as Amethyst has showed us quite a few times, when a gem shapeshifts, they can project other gems, but always retain their own. The only way I see this theory working is if the body-swapping thing was involved, but even then....

I also don't buy the "We've seen Pink Diamond in the bubble room" thing, namely because the gem everyone claims is PD is the completely wrong shape. :|

It will most likely be one of these scenarios;

1) Rose really did shatter Pink Diamond.

2) Rose was framed by someone else (extremely unlikely).

3) Rose and Pink Diamond staged it to make it look like PD was shattered.

And what is with all the Rose hate from this revelation? :| Not only do we not have 100% undeniable confirmation it happened, it was a war. Yes, Rose hated shattering others, but she might not have had a choice in the matter.

Though, I did notice something confusing; the gem symbol on Rose's Shield, Scabbard and the flag aren't the same shape as Rose's gem, if that's what it's meant to represent. It looks more like Sapphire's, but not quite identical. And why does the flag have diamonds on it? This could all mean something, or it could all mean nothing. Only the crewniverse know the truth right now....

Also, yes, give Peridot her limb enhancers back. She's an adorable little gremlin, but tall-peri is missed.

I don't hate Rose, probably never will do, but I do think she had a lot of flaws. We don't know the circumstances of the time, so maybe Rose did do the right thing after all.

I'm just trying to see it from Steven's point of view. He's been told his whole life that his mother was this wonder space goddess who loved and cared about everyone, but now he's finally learning she wasn't as perfect as he was led to believe. Considering she literally makes up half of him, that's quite an identity crisis he might go through.

Edit: I just came across a theory that has PD sleep possess a Rose Quartz, destroy her own Diamond 'body' and then reform into the storage container known as Lion.

Edited by Fortune86

I don't hate Rose, probably never will do, but I do think she had a lot of flaws. We don't know the circumstances of the time, so maybe Rose did do the right thing after all.

Nor do I. I just didn't trust her because she was always portrayed as this "benevolent and perfect" individual, which always felt out-of-place to me. But now that we're seeing that actually, she wasn't perfect, I'm going more to the curious side instead of distrustful. I really hope the next season will show us more about Rose.

But in other places, there seems to have been this huge outpouring of hatred for Rose after the last few episodes, which I really don't see the point of. :|

I'm really looking forward to 'Know Your Fusion'. We don't see enough of Squeeing Garnet.