Millennium07

Kage no Kagami ~The Shadows in the Mirror~

The recognition in Runa's face almost made Kazuto flinch, but he was capable of a more relaxed smile than before. Strange things had been trying to kill him, of course, but those were fish, not people. Of course, he'd been filled in about these Wraith... Knight...y... things, badly, from Manticore.

His exact phrasing was along the lines of "The Wraith Knights, don't you know an~y~thing? Welp, they're like these people, but... they're not. And, four of them are ladies~" -- not particularly helpful.

Having once again slipped into a world of his own, Kazuto was surprised to hear Runa still addressing him, telling him to call her. She was a bit obsessed with that, huh? He almost felt like asking 'what if I didn't have a phone?!' but that was a moot point given that he was a hardware designer's son.

The subject veering wildly into the territory of his father actually did make him tense, though, and sighed.

"I haven't actually seen my father since then," Kazuto said, accidentally making it sound like some kind of abandonment story. "I mean, my first time there was only a few hours ago," he added. "My father is dead to the world when he's at work, as well. If I were to die, he'd probably not actually hear of it until he clocked out."

---

"So." Gula's friendly smile stretched into a more slasher-y variation. "How should we split the hu~mans~~ I mean, there are only like, five, right?"

"Yeah, pretty much" David said, laughing wearily. He thought for a while about how to write down his address one-habded. Until finally, it hit him. "Well hey, would you like to see the place now? I mean, you wanted something to eat, and although I'm not a great chef, my mom was, and she taught me, so I should be able to make a toasted sandwich at least." He said, turning to look at Lucine. "It's only about a five-minute walk from here." He elaborated.

------------------------------------------------------

Dragon sighed, resting his hand on his hand. It sucked being clairvoyant sometimes. He can see the future, sure, but the boring part is waiting for it. That being said... Kitsune. He wondered just what this Phantasm was like, and whether an alliance could be formed, of sorts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Superbia pouted. "I was trying to be hip, and cool..." She said mock-dejectedly.

"Six." Avaritia confirmed. It seems there is one for each of us. Gula and Acedia. Can I trust you to kill your...'favourites' quickly?" He said sternly.

"Sure! I would love to see your place." Lucine smiled and gently poked him in his side. "Then I know where you live." She yawned. She was tired from the whole ordeal. Slowly she reasted her head against his shoulder.

- - - - - - - - -

Kitsune smiled. She knew that their closeness could lead to something she could use to her advantage. If something were to happen to David and Lucine had strong feelings she could take over. 'Time to plot.'

"Ah, sure!" David smiled. He blushed slightly, but it certainly wasn't an unpleasant feeling. Slowly, he rested his head on hers.

Pleasant as it was, it didn't get to last long, as a large, pretentious block of flats loomed into view. "Well, this is it." he said, digging his keys out of his pocket and unlocking the door, holding it open for the sleepy brunette.

After scaling the stairs to the top floor, David unlocked his own door and led her inside.

It was...bare. Very little suggested someone actually lived there. Oh, it was certainly a nice apartment. Lovely balcony, beautiful view from the window, a full skylight etc. It seemed very expensive. It's just that it looked...lonely. The few things that did suggest it's occupant's identity were a violin case leaning against the bed, a photograph of David with a group of people who looked to be his family, and, alarmingly enough, a pile of bloody bandages overflowing from the bin.

"It's...barren. I know." He said awkwardly. "Ah...make yourself at home, I guess? There are drinks in the fridge, and you can take a nap if you're tired..." He didn't really know what to do, or say. He'd never had anyone here except Hisao.

Edited by Millennium07

"It might be barren, but it gives it breathing room. It doesn't feel so stuffy." Lucine smiled and stretched. "And no, sleeping as a guest in sombodies home is disrespectful. I'll sleep at the therapists." She said, rubbing her eye sleepily. "Don't worry. I'll be fine. Need any help."

David shook his head "Allowing a guest to help cook is disrespectful too!" He said throwing off his coat and gloves, and rolling up his sleeves. "What type of sandwich would you like?" He asked, about to start cooking, but realising he didn't know what it was specifically he was to cook.

"Umm..." Acedia looked at the ground, fidgeting, "Yes?" She asked sneaking a look up before looking back down. It wouldn't take that long... Depending on how stressful she was... "Yes." Acedia responded again, mostly for herself this time.

Well, this was sure awkward. Runa didn't exactly know how to respond to Kazuto. For a minute there, she'd almost thought his father abandoned him or something! Talk to him about his Phantasm or something. Ask him which one is his!

What? Why? Why are you so interested about that?

Oh, you know...you're a girl, he's a gu--

Don't dare finish that.

"So," Runa said again. "Do you know what your Phantasm is? Mine's the most annoying Alicorn ever."

I am not annoying!

Yes you are. Now go away. Begone. Shoo.

Edited by Techno_Elf

"I want to help." Lucine stuck her tongue out. "Don't make me get into a sissy fight with you." She giggled and playfully punched his shoulder. "Cheese and tomato is fine by me."

David rolled his head in a playful manner until he was looking at her sideways. He sighed in mock-resignation. "Fiiiiiine" He pointed across the kitchen. "You can get the cheese. You know. If you really want to." He said, acting like an over-exaggerated tsundere, before breaking out into a smile. "I don't think I've had this much fun in a really long time. Thank you for being here"

----------------------------------------------------

Avaritia nodded. "Good. You may have your...doll-girl, then"

"I could make her into a doll for you" Superbia said malignantly.

Edited by Millennium07

"Aye sir." Lucine smiled and went to get the cheese. "And I'm happy to hear that." She answered. "I'm really glad that you're having fun. And it's a pleasure to be here. And it's really great to be your friend."

David nodded. 'Friend'. Such a foreign, alien word. But one that sounded like the nicest word in the world when coming from those lips. That smile of hers, those eyes...they put him at ease. Perhaps they could chase away the nightmares... He thought. He shoved the sandwich into the machine and held up a hand in a way of saying 'hold on'. He came back with a sleek, silver violin. "Before the bombing, I was a violinist..." He said bringing the instrument to his chin, and taking a deep breath. "It's been a while since I performed. Perhaps you tell me how bad I've gotten..." He said as he began to play Schubert's Der Erlkonig. His face serene, and calm as a deep forest lake.

Lucine watched as he went to get something. She leaned against the counter. "Wow. That's amazing. It's a difficult instrument to play. And you can't be that bad." She closed her eyes as she listned to David play. He wasn't too bad, but you could hear he was a little rusty.

His face contorted a few times during his performance, until the buzzer alerted them to the fact that the sandwiches were done. He quickly put the instrument down and opened the machine, putting the pair of sandwiches onto a plate. "H-here you go. I made you two, just in case." He said, leading Lucine over to the sofa and sitting down.

"That was really good." Lucine commented. "Thank you." She sat down next to David. "Anything you want to talk about?" The brunette asked as she picked up one of the sandwiches, biting into it. After she had swallowed she spoke up again. "Your violin skills aren't bad."

"Your welcome, anytime" David said, smiling. He then turned away, rubbing his neck. "Thanks..." He hadn't able to keep a calm mind. It seems that no matter how bright the future is looking, the past was always inescapable. "And uh... I'm not sure. Anything you'd like to ask, or say?"

Kazuto observed the silence with little care, and had, in fact, turned to once again leave. He stopped upon Runa's voice yet again sounding, and he sighed. She was asking about him?

Hey hey hey hey hey hey hey HEY. She asked after me! She's in looooooo~ooove with me!

"I..." Kazuto thought hard, brushing his hair from his eyes. He was getting slightly flustered since all he could hear was over-excited ramblings, and some slightly off-colour humour. "He's... it's... well, it's a Manticore," Kazuto sighed. "It's a real pain, too, constantly saying things in my ear. I suppose you should thank it, though," Kazuto only just noticed how light his jacket felt. That was really uncomfortable. "It's thanks to Manticore that I bothered to help you at all." Wait a moment.

That was ruuuuuuuuuuude, Kazutoo!

"No, I don't have any questions for you. Or topics I can think of. Yet." Lucine said, finishing the sandwich. A yawn escaped her lips and she smiled sleeply at him. "Sorry, but I think I'm going to have to take you up on that nap offer. Seems that today's events caught up. When you want to go, just wake me up, kay?" She shifted until she was comfortable and was soon asleep.

David nodded, smiling, and smiled serenely as he watched her drift off. Once he was certain she was asleep, he dashed to the bathroom and looked his reflection right in the eyes. "Dragon." He spoke gruffly, pulling away his eyepatch, revealing his dull gold eye. "I know you can hear me. Speak to me. Come forth, I command you!"

David's reflection began moving separate of David. "You think you have the right to command me?" It said in David's voice, menacingly. "You have no rights as far as I am concerned."

David took a step backwards. His reflection...his reflection was speaking to him. It was actually talking. It was utterly surreal. His reflection was flipping him off!

"And what is this?" It spoke again, gesturing towards the living room. "You reckon you'll be friends for a bit, fall in love and then it's happily ever after? That will never happen for someone like you."

David took another few steps backwards, backing right into the medicine cabinet. This can't be happening.

"Oh, it's happening." Dragon said threateningly, as David felt his chest compact. "But say that it does. Say that you do end up with that bishoujo" He spat, using David's knowledge against him. "What happens when that black knight kills her right in front of you, huh? What happens then?" He said, voice getting darker.

David couldn't take this. He sunk down the wall, head in his hands, pressure in his chest growing, and memories of his family's death flashing interchangeably along with premonitions of Lucine being tortured.

"What happens? Tell me, David, I want to know. What happens?!"

David couldn't move, he couldn't breathe. He just sat there sobbing.

"I'll tell you what happens!" He growled menachingly. "I'll emerge from your twice-shattered heart." David felt a whisper in his ear.

He just sat there, sobbing for the better part of an hour, before heading out onto the balcony for some air. He looked up at the sky, hand gripping the railing so tightly, his knuckles were white. I won't let that happen... He thought softly, turning to look at her through the window, placing his hand on the glass. I'll...I'll have to get stronger.

He returned to the living room, sinking down into the sofa next to Lucine. He was actually really comfortable right now. Perhaps some sleep might...might organize his thoughts.

Sleep offered something else.

It offered the now-familiar sight of the long sand-haired man wearing dragon-themed over in a blood-stained throne room. Eyes closed, he addressed his reincarnation.

"Do not let Dragon frighten you. He tried scare tactics on me, but I didn't cry out in fear, I roared in rage!" He spoke melancholicly. "As you are now, you will not be able to protect the ones you care about as you are now. You are right, young one. You must become stronger." He opened his glowing, golden eyes. "You must master the Eyes of Babylon, and the powers of Dragon, if you are to be strong enough to make it out of this nightmare alive. If you do not, you will lose everything, just as I did..."

Lucine was restless in her sleep, having nightmares of what happened to her so long ago. She stirred every few seconds in her sleep. Her fingers twitched and she tried to pull her legs up closer to her chest, a futile attempt of comfort.

When David was next to her again she instantly moved alittle closer. His presence was soothing and helped calm her down.

But soon every element of her dream fell away and she was left in a large black room, not being able to see the walls. The place had an eerie atmosphere to it. Soon enough a replica of herself stepped out, but many things were different; she had animal like eyes, long black claws and her hair was different. But there was one thing that told Lucine that this was a nightmare; her replica had blood all over her body.

"Look at you... The poor kidnapped and broken soul, finaly have someone to talk to." Lucine slowly backed away. "Good to see you're afraid. Some of you are just so... Disrespectful these days. Too bad I can't teach you a lesson, but don't worry. Soon I'll have your body as my own." In a flash the replica was holding Lucine by the arm and her claws sunk through her skull.

Lucine's whole body shook as her eyes snapped open.

David's eyes slowly opened as well, glowing gold, like Gilgamesh's for a moment, before settling back down to brown, and dull-gold. He blinked a few times before turning to the girl beside him. "Lu-Lucine? Are you alright?" Snapping back to reality, he quickly turned to face her, placing his hands on her shoulders to try and steady her. "What's wrong?" In his haste to forget Dragon's mindrape, he has forgotten to put on his eyepatch. His dull-gold eye would look lifeless at this close range. "Nightmares?"

((Kitsune... seems like a pretty chilling character! It's gonna be fun to see how she grows))

((All hell will break lose if she get's even just a chance to control Lucine's body.

Mainly right now she's trying to drain Lucine of her sanity but she's going to cause more harm than that later on))

Lucine took a few deep breaths, hoping to eliminate hyperventilating. "I don't think that word comes close to describing it." She said, moving away a little. "There was another me there... But, she was different. Pitch black claws and covered in blood... It looked like somebody had morphed me with an animal. She said she wanted to teach me a lesson, that she couldn't and that my body would soon be hers... She forced those claws through my skull... It didn't feel like a dream." She had stuttered a few times during the explination. Slowly her gaze met his. "I don't want that to happen again." Her voiced cracked as she was close to crying.

Runa was about to let Kazuto's last comment slide, but her Alicorn-Conscience was hissing at her punch his lights out for being a cold, heartless jerk. "The voices are telling me to kill you," she stated simply. "Should I?"

YESSSSSSSS! DO ITTTTTT!

"Mm, maybe I'll be nice and ignore him. You're kinda nice." And good-looking. "Compared to everyone else I've met."

Before thinking about it, David pulled in her into his arms in an attempt to comfort her. "I know what you mean. I kinda yelled at my Phantasm in the bathroom earlier. He took control of my reflection and started... He was eroding the little self-worth I feel I still had. I felt sick." He stroked her hair tentatively. "I... If I haden't met you in that other world, I'd probably have jumped off the balcony." He swallowed, trying to remain strong. "If it ever happens, call me and I'll be come get you straight away." He said slowly. "I really don't know what to say to try and help you feel better." He said, almost cracking himself. "Other than that whatever happens, no matter what, I will always, always be here if you need me. No dragons or fox-people will prevent that."

((Dragon's kinda different. He's a really complex character, I'll post another info dump relating to that, actually, Kitsune gave me an epiphany))

Kazuto raised his eyebrows.

Saved it! You're good! I like it, you're not as bad with the ladies as I thought~

Pointed ignoring, go. "You must know some pretty sh!tty people, then," after all, Kazuto did not add, to call me nice is to call the sky green. It's an outright contradiction. "I'll thank you for what I assume is a compliment, though," if it weren't for the fact that nice guys finish last, you know, "and I will also ask you to tell Alicorn, or whatever that word is, to kindly shut up."