chicbecause

Middle Earth

((Out of curiosity, I looked into 0023567467’s post history, and her final posts on Sept. 5 stated that she was leaving the forum… T'would seem the reserved spot is open? smile.gif ))

Edited by starphyre77

wouldn't that make the spot opened for me?

((Hmm, missed that. I checked post history too, to see, and that didn't load *blames faulty internet*

but, yes, now that makes the spot open Soleas smile.gif

So if no one else has problems with your sheet, you're accepted.

So, DS, Shala, anything need pointing out?))

((oh, and due to a time constraint, I'll post my actual post later tonight.))

Edited by Dragonhatchling

yay but do you mind a recap?

Edited by Soleas

((Hmm, a recap… At the risk of info overload, here goes. This is set 30 years after the events in The Hobbit. The basic goal of the group is to strike at the evil that plagues the lands. They were heading north, more or less along the Misty Mountains somewhere between Fangorn Forest and Lothlorien. However, they’re currently fighting some Goblins and Wargs, and after the fight, they’ll be heading east to a village of Men where they’ll be picking up Fier (a Dwarf) and Dio (a young human girl).

I think that about covers it, but if you have any questions, I’d be more than happy to answer them. smile.gif ))

((Thats as good a recap as I could give Star wink.gif ))

Larien had righted herself, injured slightly but not caring about it at the moment. A Warg already in the pile squealed, probably kicked to the head by Larien's horse. It was anyone's guess with this mess.

The Goblin was doing rather well from the looks. He had succeeded in chopping one of the other Warg's head off by accident with a sword he held, though the elf's horse had managed to right himself too. This lead to a standoff, one for the worlds to see. Elven horse and Goblin circled each other as two Wargs were caught in the middle, snapping and growling as they attempted to try and catch the horse's side.

Larien jumped at this chance, landing on one of the Warg's back and surprising everything but her horse and the Goblin. The Goblin, however, charged at her and in line with her horse, to which Larien pulled the Warg around to meet him. With her controlling it, she succeeded in causing it to rear and slash at the other creature.

"Well this is fun." Larien commented lightly, having to work a bit harder to control the unruly Warg. The other such beast was confused slightly, having lost its companion, though it set the target to the elf's horse, which the horse accepted, and tried its best to snap at the neck.

"Eh? Ah! Me? I had a name once, but they took it away when I was exiled. You kin call me Dirt, now. Oh, him? That's Dart. Don't worry, he might look a bit scary, but he's a real softie at heart. That's right, innit Dart? Wahaha!"

User- Cervance

Name- Dirt

Age- 31

Gender- Male

Race- Dwarf

Appearance- A young Dwarf, with bright eyes and a cheerful smile. He wears his jet black hair in a pony tail. He has a short braided beard, the colour of coal, and adorned with elegant ivory bone jewelry. He carries a suspiciously large pack on his back, and numerous other smaller packs on his belt. Of note is a bracelet of rat skulls he wears on his wrist - upon close inspection, one might discover their expressions change from whimsical to grave to ferocious...

Skill set- Bone-crafting, fungal poisons, and a bit of necromancy on the side...

Other- Born to a family of wicked Dwarves who sought to aid evil. They were given a book of power which taught the method of raising the dead, and binding them to eternal service. His family was discovered and summarily executed - as an innocent infant, Dirt's life was spared, and he was adopted. His curiosity of his past got the better of him, however, and he ventured into forbidden passageways. He was exiled, but not before he found the book of power. Dirt learned the art of animating skeletal bones before the book was destroyed in a messy accident involving pumpkins, troll guts, and a ghoulish thrall (better not to ask more). Nevertheless, he mastered his arte with the stubborn single-mindedness only a Dwarf could have, and, seeking to rid his home of Trolls once and for all, writes to join into the adventuring party...

Dirt's Companion

Name: Dart

Race: Man(?)

Appearance: Half a foot taller than a normal man, Dart wears a dark green cloak and leather armor over most of his body. A sinister bone mask, with only horizontal slits for vision, sits upon his face. His hands and feet are armoured in elegantly crafted bone gauntlets and greaves. Equipped on his back is a bone spear as tall as he is, alongside a quiver of a dozen shorter javelins, also crafted from bone. On his belt, a short flail. His left arm carries a unique heavy shield, protecting the entire arm up to the shoulder in multiple plates of bone. The shield is plain compared to his other equipment, and bears the marks of combat.

Skill set: Born for battle.

Other: The strong silent type. Fiercely loyal to Dirt. Never eats. Never drinks. Never sleeps. Hmm...

(I realize I might be asking for a bit much here, but I can assure you of Dirt's good intentions. He himself doesn't hold much power, as he can only animate skeletons - and he is too vain to animate something as ugly as a naked skeleton anyway.)

((hmmm well can i interfere in this fight and strike an arrow to the head of a warg knock him down and then join the fight?))

((Sounds like a plan Soleas. smile.gif

Cervance, I must admit to having some reservations about your characters. The only Middle Earth character I know of who had power over the dead was the Necromancer (aka Sauron). This suggests that only incredibly powerful evil can summon the dead, and as Saruman said in The Hobbit movie, “No such power exists in this world.” …At least as far as they knew.

Another thing, their very natures sound somewhat sinister, especially Dart covered as he is with bone, so it could be difficult for them to convince the group to accept them…

Also, not meaning to be nit-picky, but 31 seems a bit young for a Dwarf to have gained such skills. From this Wiki on Middle Earth Dwarves: “Dwarves on average live to be 250 years of age. A 30 year old Dwarf is very much considered a young stripling, having not yet reached full adulthood.” Of course, your form does say he is young, and Dain was only 32 when he fought in Azanulbizar (though it was considered remarkable), so is it within the realm of possibility? …Perhaps.

Please understand that I’m not flat out against your characters, but rather I am…uncertain. Any thoughts, counterpoints, or comments anyone? ))

In her rage, Shala was so focused on the enemy that she lost sight of anything else. As such, she was momentarily confused when a Warg she had noticed just as it launched at her suddenly fell with an arrow in its neck. Realizing that she had actually managed to forget about the others, she nodded a quick thanks to Dae'Cuar, but couldn’t quite hide her chagrinned look as she surveyed the fight. Her look changed to bemused when she saw Larien land on the Warg. “Well…,” she said as the Elf brought the Warg against the Goblin, “that works.” Taking care to be more aware of the entire fight, she gave another shout as she charged at a Goblin that had already lost its Warg.

Once the chaos surrounding Larien sorted itself out, Cuthraed watched in surprise, and a little awe, as the Elf actually managed to not only jump on a Warg, but also bring it under some control. He gave a half chuckle, but then noticed the Warg closing in on the Elf’s already wounded horse. Being of the Rohirrim, there was no way he was going to allow the horse to be harmed more, so he quickly fired several arrows at the Warg. If that didn’t stop the beast, he was prepared to have Garulf run it down.

((CRAP I FORGOT TO INCLUDE I HAD DAGGERS xd.png and raising undead is unfair too much power dry.gif ))

Nendir heard goblins,elves, and dwarves. And these three never meet in peace. Nendir hid behind a rock watching the battle,He shot an arrow to the head of the warg killing it, "Strike",Said Nendir to himself as he jumped on a goblin with his dagger."I see you guys need some help,don't you?"Gazed Nendir at the dwarves as he saw a goblin charge an attack at one of them."Watch out"Said Nendir as he threw a dagger at the goblin."3 kills in a minute or less" Said Nendir with a slight feeling of ego.

Edited by Soleas

((Mmm, I agree with Star (and Star, if I start calling you Shala again, I'm sorry... my brain associates you with her) on the necromancy point. It's a highly rare skill and is widely considered the only one alive now to know how to proceed with such power. Not to mention, they're appearence in general is likely to get them shot by Larien without question.... but that's beside the point...

addedly to the Dart's age point, I'm one of thinking that 31 is too young for a Dwarf.... Dain excluded. Why? They're really young that age and Dain's feat was one of remarkably (and highly unlikely) circumstances that he couldn't have done without the help that he had. That being said, I'm standing by the 'too young' argument... maybe around 47-50+ is a better choice. Not old, or adultish yet, but older enough to be of good use.

There's my large two cents.... consider them well, though you're perfectly welcome to argue your point Cervance smile.gif

*can't actually post* I'll post tomorrow. Promise. I've got homework to finish and only planned to be on for a minute to check up on everything.))

(As for Dirt's tender age, I will not change for my life! An age 30 dwarf is comparable to an age 14 human in that, if growth hits early, they can easily disguise themselves as several years older. To any non-dwarf, the result is even more drastic. If Dirt lies about his age, no one in the party would be the wiser. The main point of the age is to be young enough to still be considered naive and innocent, but just old enough to actually be capable of fighting - mostly indirectly in Dirt's case, through the means of fungal poison and witty taunts.

As for the greater issue of Necromancy, the sole purpose of it is to give life to Dart, Dirt's thrall, as a character. I imagined it would be quite comical for a skeleton to join the party. If you have any reservations about accepting him - don't worry - he's disguised well. There will be ample time while the party fights enraged trolls for Dart to save the lives of his comrades, at which point it would be difficult to argue against Dirt's good intentions, despite his being a necromancer.

I digress, mainly what I'm saying is thus: Dirt's age will remain the tender 31, and the only necromancy involved shall be Dart, Dirt's companion. Just accept him as is, or say necromancy is a no-go, and I'll remove Dart, though it would be a crime to force such a young dwarf to live alone so long!)

((~Soleas, there’s currently only one Dwarf in the group that’s fighting wink.gif. If it helps, the people that Nendir is meeting up with are: Elves – Larien (DH), Dae'Cuar (DS), and possibly Vaughn (if Elpdraws is still with us); Men – Cuthraed (me), and possibly Adrrar (if Ryujin13 is still with us); Dwarves – Shala (me).

~Cervance, okay, I can actually come to terms with the age issue. Yes, it would be incredibly uncommon for such a young Dwarf to be off adventuring, but then again it would also be incredibly uncommon for a Dwarf-woman to be a fighter, let alone adventuring more or less on her own (as far as Dwarf-men would see it) , so…yeah. smile.gif

However, as for the Necromancy… I’m sorry, but I can’t help but feel that it is too over-powered for an average Middle Earth character. I also can’t come up with any scenario which would have the group accepting Dirt and Dart. Even if Dart’s true from is hidden, it’s hidden under a lot of bones, and Dirt also wears a fair bit of bones. Now, I can’t speak for anyone else’s characters, but Shala will wonder where all those bones came from, and whether or not he’s using the bones of slain enemies she will feel that it seems too much like what Orcs and Goblins would do.

If I haven’t managed to chase you away, and if you’re at all interested, feel free to PM me if you want to bounce ideas back and forth.

~On a side note, I know that Tolkein meant for the names ‘Orc’ and ‘Goblin’ to refer the same creature, but the movies have them as two separate creatures, and unless anyone prefers otherwise, that’s kind of what I’m going with.))

Hearing a voice she didn’t recognize, Shala spun around to see an unknown Elf standing over a dead Goblin. She briefly raised an eyebrow at both his sudden appearance and his pretentious offer of help. However, when he then threw a dagger to slay a charging Goblin, she was about to give a nod of thanks… Well, that was until he spoke again, and she couldn’t help but roll her eyes as she thought, Wonderful… another arrogant Elf. Then, half muttering to herself, she added, “Easy to be confident while fighting from hiding.” Though she wasn’t speaking loudly, her voice may not have been as quiet as it possibly should have been when dealing with Elves.

Still, Elvin arrogance aside, if this newcomer wanted to fight, she wasn’t going to stop him. Of course, she wasn’t going to outright trust him either, so vowing to keep a close watch on him as well as the enemy, she called out to the stranger, “If you wish to join this fray…” with her empty left hand, she motioned toward the fighting, “have at.”

`"You would have been a dead body if it wasn't for me so respect that"Said Nendir as he saw a warg jumping on him, after 2 seconds Nendir was flat on the ground with a warg on top of him."ugh he surely has a stinky breath"Said Nendir as he stabbed the warg with dagger to the neck.The warg moved a bit allowing Nendir to escape from under the warg and jumping on top of it"I can handle a warg,can't i i?"Said Nendir as he caught the warg from the neck,Riding it as if it was easy."now let's do a cliff jump"Said Nendir as he ran with the warg to the edge of a cliff and jumped off him."Nice trip to the bottom of the cliff"Said Nendir as 3 goblins stared at him,the three goblins jumped at him and pushed him off the cliff,Nendir caught the edge but he couldn't get up,"HELP ME"Shouted Nendir as his grasp was getting loose.

((I wasn't completely completely shooting down the age, just offering a suggestion and my point. But, I'm fine with the age after thinking it through some more.

The necromancy I'm still not fine with. As I said before, Sauron is the only one known to be capable of necromancy. It's an extrememely rare feat to begin with, not to mention that it took Sauron years to be able to do this.

I also said that Larien wouldn't hesitate to shoot Dirt down before he even got close. His appearance, as well as Dart's appearance and him being Dirt's odd traveling partner, would not be a friendly sight for Larien.))

Larien turned her Warg on the Warg trying to attack her horse. Arrows shot that one down, arrows that belonged to Cuthraed. She looked back to him, nodding a thank you as the Goblin behind her still growled from the Warg's previous scratch she had given to the creature.

Her horse welcomed the dead Warg and kicked it once to the head, very hard, to be sure it actually was dead.

With the distractions defeated, Larien also noticed another Elf fighting from the sidelines as Shala seemed to argue with him. Something seemed off about his antics as he, himself, mounted a Warg and rode it off a cliff before jumping. Riding Wargs was no easy feat, and judging by his screaming at the end, he probably found that out. Her Warg still fought her continually to gain control back, which Larien fought just as hard to keep control of it. She steered it toward where the other Elf ran to the cliff. "I will get him!" She announced, taking a slight pathway down toward where the other Elf had jumped. Three Goblins were there surrounding the other.

Larien drew her bow that managed to keep through the fight. She'd lost some of her arrows with the jostling, but had enough of the number to do damage still. An arrow flew to one Goblin's head, furthest from her, as Larien charged her Warg at another Goblin not facing her. She flipped off it, refusing to simply jump off and possibly screw up the Warg's momentum. She shot off another arrow to distract the Warg from possibly attacking the unknown Elf, and succeeded in steering it to the Goblin who jabbed a spear into its side as they fell right off.

"So much for my barrowed ride." The Elf muttered as she drew another arrow.

Larien's horse stayed put as she ran off with the Warg. He was wounded on his, the gash bleeding rather badly, and was going to make the best of it from where he stood. He gave a specific neigh to let her know why he hadn't followed, to which he knew Larien would be back shortly and ready to heal it. For now he would wait, only fighting if absolutely needed.

Edited by Dragonhatchling

((DH, I meant to mention, don’t worry about calling me Shala…I found it rather amusing. xd.png ))

Again Shala quirked an eyebrow, but this time at the Elf’s comment about respect, and she was going to reply to that, but the Elf was suddenly under a Warg, and her retort died unsaid. She moved to help him, but before she got there, the Elf had somehow managed to get on top of the Warg, and wondering about the newcomer’s sanity, she could only gape as he almost rode off a cliff. She gave Dae'Cuar a look clearly asked if the other Elf was mad, and as such didn’t see when he was pushed over the edge as well. Hearing the call for help, she once again started to charge in, but when Larien said she was going to go for him, Shala still moved toward them both in order to fight off anything that might try to attack Larien while she was getting to the newcomer, and to be nearby should her help be needed as well.

School sleep.gif ill post later today or tomorrow i have lots of homework and 2 quizzes ohmy.gif. *eats books* xd.png

((oooooo i am so sorry sad.gif ))

Nendir saw the an Elf and the dwarf run to him."Thanks for the hel-,wait what?!,You are Larien from Rivendell i know you,Your quite famous in Mirkwood,I am Nendir son of Losdir"Said Nendir with a voice full of pride.'A pleasure to meet you,Oh and you are...?"Said Nendir giving the dwarf a sign of disgust.

Larien kept her arrow still ready, but lowered her bow slightly and helped pull the other elf up. As she did so, he mentioned something about knowing her. He mentioned her being famous too? She let him go as he was pulled up from the edge of the cliff, looking back to see if any goblins were about when she realized Shala was closer than originally noticed.

"A pleasure to meet you as well Nendir, son of Losdir." She bowed only slightly, though it still was a sign of respect from the Noldor. Ironically, Larien nearly answered in Quenya but realized that the language was rarely ever spoken any more. It seemed that only a few in Rivendell ever spoke it, and word had gotten around long ago that Sindarien had taken over. Either by itself, or just by simple knowledge. Larien answered instead so Shala could understand too as the other elf had. She imagined now that the dwarf might be miffed that she was the only dwarf here in a group of elves and men.

"I am not entirely sure why I would be considered well-known anywhere though." She added, realizing she didn't respond to that. Famous still bothered her. Larien had left Rivendell for adventure, and had left her family before that at Lothlorien. Her kind specifically had dwindled enough there that Rivendell seemed their only hope, yet her parents had refused to leave. There was nothing special about her past, though the thoughts of her adventures were probably what Nendir was getting at. Some word of those probably got around.

"Your Horse is wounded"Said Nendir, he whistled and a pure black Horse raced towards him "This is salfron,my horse,I can get your Horse some medicene if you shall wait here,My horse is fast and i shouldn't take much time"Said Nendir

((Larien's horse isn't near them.... he stayed put back a ways wink.gif ))

Larien nodded slightly, knowing full well her horse was hurt. "Aklen will be fine." She stated, pausing a moment to whistle for a split second before letting that be. He'd know she would come back soon that way. "Thank you for your offer, however, I am quite adept in the art of healing and he shall fair well." She nodded to Shala for a second before doing the same to the new elf. "I will be back momentarily."

With that, the elf ran off in the direction she had come. Her horse waited patiently as told, though he welcomed her sight. The white-grey horse lowered his head slightly as she approached and allowed her to heal his wounds. The actions didn't take too long to complete, though it did drain Lairen a bit more. Aklen felt much better however, and seemed more energized than before. The elf climbed on after he insisted, and together they rode back to where the others were.

Shala was still standing to cover for Larien, but it soon became apparent that the fight had once again gone out of the beasts. Watching as they retreated, she scowled when the newcomer mentioned Mirkwood, and turning to face him, her scowl only deepened at the way he spoke to her, and the look he gave her. Looking at this Nendir, a muscle in her cheek twitched, but she said nothing as she listened as Larien answered him. However, when Larien left to tend to her horse, Shala gave Nendir a long, considering look. “Shala daughter of Baergor,” she said at last as her expression changed to indicate that she wasn’t overly impressed by this Elf.

Hanging back from where the others were, Cuthraed remained alert as the enemy looked to be breaking off their attack. There had been one Warg that seemed to think Larien’s horse would be an easy target, but a couple of arrows from Cuthraed changed its mind rather permanently. He was just about to dismount to try to tend to the injured horse, but before he could, Larien returned. He watched in fascination as the Elf magically healed her horse, but as they started to head back to the others, he shook head as he followed after her.

((Little unsure how to go onward… I know the plan was to have them veer to a village where they’d pick up Fier and Dio, but Dragonsword hasn’t been on since the 19th. Do we still go to the village, or do we go back to the original plan of going north to the High Pass?))

"I see you handeld your horse"Smiled Nendir,"Oh And you didn't tell me your name thus,I shall call you little short dwarfy stuff"Said Nendir smiling towards the dwarf.He mounted his horse"Do you have a pony with you"Asked Nendir

((Soleas, gotta ask for a bit of clarification please… Did you miss that Shala gave her name, or did Nendir overlook the fact that she did? smile.gif ))