chicbecause

Middle Earth

((I agree, let’s have a little fun with an enemy encounter. Ryujin, were you thinking both Goblins and Wargs, or just one or the other? I’m game for either way. However, when/if we fight Goblins, would anyone mind if I had Shala reclaim Thorin’s Dwarvish sword (as seen in the movie) from whatever vile Goblin currently has it? Since I can’t have it on my wall until they make a somewhat more affordable version, I’d love for my character to wield it. wink.gif

As for Lothlorien…I’m not sure. Gimli was the first Dwarf to enter Lothlorien since the “Dark Days”, so Shala really can’t be allowed to cross their border. This could make it difficult to RP, but it could also be interesting. I don’t really have an opinion one way or the other on this, so I defer to the Elves in our company since they’re the ones who would have to deal with the Lothlorien Elves…And Shala wouldn’t make that task any easier. xd.png ))

(Sorry to be a nitpicker, but you can't wield Thorins sword. This is one thing I do remember. When he dies in the battle of five armies he is placed in a tomb in the middle of the mountain. His sword was placed on top of his tomb along with the arkenstone and if I remember correctly the book said that the sword served as a warning because of its blue glow when goblins were around. Sorry again. Anyway I meant that the Wargs had goblin riders which seems to be the usual mode of operation.)

((Larien would gladly try and make Shala welcome. She offered to anyway... and now I have to go.))

((True, Thorin’s Elvish sword, Orcrist, was placed on his tomb. However, he started the quest wielding a Dwarvish sword, Deathless, and in the movie, it was lost while escaping Goblintown. Deathless is the sword that I’m hoping to get.

Also, Larien promised a welcome in Rivendell where they were friendly toward Dwarves. In Lothlorien, on the other hand, they weren’t so friendly toward Dwarves, so things could be…tricky. wink.gif Still, I’m game for either way.

So, Goblins riding Wargs? … Shala says, “Bring it on!” Anyone have any thoughts on introducing the attack?))

((Mmm, I meant to have her offer for both places... but I do think I wrote somewhere that she would try her best to make anyone welcome anywhere. If I didn't, I did now xd.png I don't remember...

and.... maybe the "old fashion" way of introducing an attack? We're on our way and 'BAM' Attack scene!!

Or shall we make it more complicated? Perhaps have the Goblins know about someone in the group and be after them (which, if no one thinks that will work for their character, Larien's up for blame since she's been out on her own for 5 some years) ...thus somewhat tracking us all once they realize where we are....))

(Well the second plan would work with Adrrar if we want to go that route. After all, he has been hunting the borders of Rohan killing anything that isn't one of the free people's. if we want to go that route I'm willing to be the scapegoat.)

(I think I like the second idea best and Adrrar shoulder be the one they want to kill. So glad I didn't miss anything! :-)

((I like the second idea as well. It adds some depth to the story. As for who is being hunted… Frankly, I think it would work equally well with either character, so if you both want to be the hunted, we could have something like this encounter be Group A after one person, and a later encounter be Group B after the other. Heck, maybe even later, the survivors of the two groups band together for an attack? Just a thought tossed out to see where it lands, I leave it to our two volunteers to decide. wink.gif ))

((I like starphyre's idea as well, though I'm up for anything really. So Ryujin, you can have the deciding vote. I'm voting it for either 'second' idea.))

Edited by Dragonhatchling

((*shoos away the chirping crickets* Does this seem a reasonable time skip? If not, let me know and I’ll gladly edit. smile.gif ))

The first couple days of their journey passed uneventfully, but that changed around mid-morning on the third day. Far off on the north-eastern horizon Shala could just make out some of the outlying trees of Lothlorien, and to their west stood the Misty Mountains. Her gaze was absently sweeping the mountains, when a nearer movement caught her eye. The creature was still too far away for her to be positive, but it certainly looked Warglike. She didn’t want it to know it had been seen, so she turned her head away just enough to be able to watch out of the corner of her eye.

“Is that a Warg, closing in?” she asked as she tilted of her head in direction of the creature, but at that moment, it slipped from her sight. Hoping that the Elves’ eyesight was truly as keen as she’d heard, she tensed in preparation to draw her sword. She knew that if it was a Warg, it wouldn’t be alone…

((I’m not entirely knowledgeable about mountainous regions…would they be in the foothills yet, or still on the fields?))

Edited by starphyre77

( I like the time skip! )

Vaughn looked at the strange animal and saw it trying to his in the brush." Yes...." she loked down at the dwarf before saying: " ...goblins too. Over there. They are hiding not far from the wargs...." she contnued walking.

( sorry. Short post is short....)

(Um, lets go with what the group wants and go with starphyres idea.)

Adrrar looked in the direction that Shala indicated and saw the movement that they were talking about. He could see the four legs, but couldn't make out the details that an elf could at this range.

"How many Wargs?" He asked, already readying his bow and loosening his sword in its sheath. "And do they have riders?"

At Vaughn’s confirmation, Shala remained outwardly calm while inside her heart started racing, but then the Elf then mention Goblins as well. “Haver,” she muttered under her breath. One or the other would have been one thing but both at the same time…That was something else entirely. Since they were still too far away for her to see clearly, she could only shake her head at Adrrar’s question as she discreetly drew her throwing axe.

"I can't tell how many, but I know they are there. More than ten wargs, I can see that much." Vaughn scaned the mountian sides for any other dangers.

Adrrar looked around quickly, sizing up the area, determining the best way to either avoid the fight or win it. Already he could tell that the Wargs were heading in their direction, the howling and barks getting louder even as they continued to charge.

"We need to get off the open ground." He said, turning and jogging back towards Fangorn forest which was over 500 yards away. "If we have our backs to the trees the Wargs can't get behind us. If death is imminent we can retreat into the woods where they cannot use their numbers as easily." He yelled, already picking up speed.

Shala nodded to Adrrar’s first statement, and when he started to run back to Fangorn, she hesitated for only a very brief moment before running after him as quickly as possible. She couldn’t fault his thinking, and while she may not have particularly enjoyed Fangorn, it was better than being dead.

((True, but if they started from the southern edge of Fangorn, and if they journeyed on the outside of the forest for safety sake, then I could see how they might still be somewhat close... wink.gif ))

(Oh, ok)

Vaughn ran after her comrads. Over the least few days she had been reminded of Adrrar's ability to lead and fight. It was amazing how much fire one mortal could have.

Adrrar ran as fast as he could, but made sure to set a pace that Shala and clover could keep up with. The Wargs were already getting close, and with smooth practice, Adrrar stopped, drew his bow and released. The arrow flew straight and true, hitting one of the Wargs in the neck, causing its legs to go from underneath it and skid to a stop some distance from where it had been shot. It flopped around for a few moments before lying still, but Adrrar didn't waitto see what had happened, instead turning and running towards Fangorn again. When they reached its borders Adrrar stopped and turned, waiting for the Wargs and their goblin friends to appear again.

Shala easily kept pace with Adrrar, and she still ran while he paused to shoot a Warg. Thus, she reached the forest edge mere steps ahead of him, and she took a brief moment to look into Clover’s eyes as she told her to take cover in the trees. She knew that Clover was a clever pony, but as she gave her a gentle pat on the rump to send her in, she could only hope that the pony would be clever enough…

With a slight shake of her head, she turned to face the incoming enemy with her throwing axe held at the ready. She figured to use it on the first to come within range, and then immediately draw her sword.

Adrrar had a second arrow already prepared, and when the next Warg appeared he fired without though. He was a good shot, one of the best in the rangers, but he was no elf. The arrow hit the Wargs left thigh. The beast didn't even slow down, instead ripping the arrow out with its jaws and spitting it to the side.

"The goblins aren't far behind, they're going to hit us in a second wave." Adrrar yelled over the howls and barks of the pack. "We have to kill the Wargs as fast as possible!" He quickly drew and shot again, this time toppling another Warg. Quickly he took his quiver off and put it and the bow to the side where they wouldn't be damaged. He loosened his dagger, then drew his sword, the blade shining in the sunlight. "Come and get me you stinking bags of fleas! I've killed enough of you to keep an entire village warm under your pelts, and I think that the village needs some more doormats as well!" He roared at the Wargs, the hatred he had for them and all evil things obvious in his voice.

“Aye lad,” Shala said in agreement to Adrrar’s statement about killing the Wargs quickly. They were closing in now, so Shala threw her axe with all her might at the nearest one. Her aim was true, and her weapon felled the beast by sinking into its skull. Making a mental note as to about where her axe was, she quickly drew her sword and stood at the ready. She did raise an eyebrow at his taunts to the enemy, but she understood, and shared, his hatred for this vile filth, so she made no comment on the matter.

Vaughn shot at a warg, as it raced up to her, an arrow soard through Its neck. She moved aside as to not to be set off balance by the giant dog's dead body that came to a sliding stop little ways behind her. She shot at another of the foul beast but instead of it hitting the warg, it got eaten by it." Oh! I was planning on fighting at a sloth-like pace and getting myself killed!" Vaughn shouted to Adrrar. She shot againaat the arrow-eating warg this time shooting it's lower as to hit her target, thus, the beast's rib cqge was sliced in two and the warg instantly died. She then looked to her right to see a pair of powerful jaws atempting to kill and/or eat her. She dodged the best she could and avoided most of the attack exept for the part with the calws that seemed to have made a large cut, however, Vaughn did her best to ignore it. She had nothing personal agent them and would gladly have dinner with the dead ones that had bench made into softly rugs, but she did prefer them dead ( that would be sugar coating it).