Vhale

Remote Biomes

That is NOT how it feels when summoning, believe you me.

The difference would be that after 100 days, we would have access anyway smile.gif That is better than 3 years smile.gif

And since I read people here stating that a few months were not a long time for newbies to wait, this ends sounding fair.

I think the most random I'd like to see is unlocking two random biomes per trophy level. That would allow a good cross-section of the site access to six different biomes - and they can have fun seeing what their friends unlocked and swapping breeds if they want.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

I think the most random I'd like to see is unlocking two random biomes per trophy level.  That would allow a good cross-section of the site access to six different biomes - and they can have fun seeing what their friends unlocked and swapping breeds if they want.

And that brings us back to the usual "Gold trophies get immediate access to all biomes, the others can wait."

Edited by _Sin_

And that brings us back to the usual "Gold trophies get immediate access to all biomes, the others can wait."

...except that people with bronze trophies will have two random biomes instantly, and people with silver trophies will have four random biomes. And they will not be "locked out" from gold-level biomes because there won't be any such thing.

Edited by Amazon_warrior

...except that people with bronze trophies will have two random biomes instantly, and people with silver trophies will have four random biomes. And they will not be "locked out" from gold-level trophies because there won't be any such thing.

The substance does not change a bit. And the unfairness does not either.

The substance does not change a bit. And the unfairness does not either.

Please elucidate the unfairness. I am genuinely curious.

And what exactly IS so awful about that ?

We had to work to get our golds. And as someone pointed out WAY up the thread, it can be done sooner even than I would have thought possible !

This game is cumulative in MANY ways. The fact that I have an army of reds means I can incubate WAY more than someone who started last week. Should I have to WAIT to do that because someone else hasn't got any ? I can have 21 growing things. But I caught and bred a lot of dragons to earn that status. Is that unfair ?

And my daughter took extra math classes and graduated high school early. Should she have had to wait till everyone in her year caught up ? She earned the right to graduate, by doing what it took. Was that unfair ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

I think it's more unfair to use something random than to use something that's somehow based on achievements.

I think it's more unfair to use something random than to use something that's somehow based on achievements.

Absolutely. I know a new player who was gifted all three legendaries (two by me, rot her mad.gifxd.png) and got a GoN on her first summon. Believe me - that felt unfair to me....

Let's please have something here we can aim at rather than just hope for.

NO RANDOM!!!!1111!!!! *makes the sign against ebil*

RNG HATES me. I was two weeks short of three years before I summoned my first GoN. The second continues to elude me, in spite of the increased chances. And having 25+ sets of trios. (yes, if you're counting, I just got my first GoN this March, despite having full sets of Trios when the action first went live.)

I see no particular advantages of Olympe's BiSA over simply unlocking with x number of dragons from the biome.

Probably the very simplest approach would be bronze trophy unlocks all. Or each trophy unlocks 2 biomes. Or something similar. Then there's no need to discuss how old a scroll is. If they have enough dragons to have a bronze trophy they're in.

NO RANDOM!!!!1111!!!! *makes the sign against ebil*

RNG HATES me. I was two weeks short of three years before I summoned my first GoN. The second continues to elude me, in spite of the increased chances. And having 25+ sets of trios. (yes, if you're counting, I just got my first GoN this March, despite having full sets of Trios when the action first went live.)

I see no particular advantages of Olympe's BiSA over simply unlocking with x number of dragons from the biome.

Probably the very simplest approach would be bronze trophy unlocks all. Or each trophy unlocks 2 biomes. Or something similar. Then there's no need to discuss how old a scroll is. If they have enough dragons to have a bronze trophy they're in.

Sounds OK to me. The latter, I think - each trophy unlocks more... or maybe even carry on - more dragons above gold gets even more and so on ? (how many biomes are we looking at here????)

Though that COULD affect the playstyle of people who simply don't want that many dragons.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Even though I wholeheartedly agree with Fi, there are others who'll start arguing that it's unfair to their play style as they only collect 1 or 2 of each breed and won't be able to reach 500 for the next two years. (Although, even with silver, they'd have 4 extra biomes. If each of them had between 10 and 20 dragons in them, they'd have a good chance to get to the 5th and 6th biome in a reasonable time.)

Edit (due to crossposting): Fuzz, I think we can start with 6 remote biomes. Or maybe 2. And add more as time goes by.

Edited by olympe

....but that's pretty much what I just suggested! xd.png

But I'm told that it's hideously unfair that I discovered DC and played it avidly for four years and thus have more dragons than someone who started playing last week and is probably still not sure how to use fansites...

I only suggested that biomes should be unlocked randomly because then bronze and silver users don't feel "shut out" from some miraculous super-awsum gold-level biome(s).

Edited by Amazon_warrior

We have pages and pages in this thread about "elitism", "favoritism", "unfair" etc. I've no intention to repeat concepts that were already expressed with the exception of one:

"The past achievements already earned us the trophies with the consequent advantages on slots, almost doubling what is available for newbies. How many times do you want to be rewarded for the same achievements?"

The new biomes are new, start like everybody else, the slots and the existing dragons will still give an advantage if some of the more reasonable suggestions are chosen.

Edited by _Sin_

....but that's pretty much what I just suggested! xd.png

But I'm told that it's hideously unfair that I discovered DC and played it avidly for four years and thus have more dragons than someone who started playing last week and is probably still not sure how to use fansites...

I KNOW. You are so EVIL - right ? Just like me. xd.png I've only even been here for three years (I think...), so heaven forbid I should get in there yet !

We have pages and pages in this thread about "elitism", "favoritism", "unfair" etc. I've no intention to repeat concepts that were already expressed with the exception of one:

"The past achievements already earned us the trophies with the consequent advantages on slots, almost doubling what is available for newbies. How many times do you want to be rewarded for the same achievements?"

The new biomes are new, start like everybody else, the slots and the existing dragons will still give an advantage if some of the more reasonable suggestions (i.e. Fiona's) are chosen.

So - if 500 dragons is the requirement (say) I have to add to my already bloated scroll (I hate to release or kill) 500 dragons I don't want, just for this ?

But a reminder then - Fi suggested:

Isn't that what you are now objecting to ?

I KNOW. You are so EVIL - right ? Just like me. xd.png I've only even been here for three years (I think...), so heaven forbid I should get in there yet !

....if I'd suggested a biome that only opens for owners of CB Prizes, I don't think I would have got a stronger reaction. tongue.gif *waves a broom at fuzz* Keep out! All your biomes are belong to me!

...except that people with bronze trophies will have two random biomes instantly, and people with silver trophies will have four random biomes. And they will not be "locked out" from gold-level trophies because there won't be any such thing.

This may sound elitist coming from a gold trophy player, but it is not intended to be.

What does it matter if a long time player has immediate access to something a new person does not have for a bit? There are around 100 different breeds of dragons for the new person to collect. This does not count holidays and seasonal variations that take a whole year to get. If a bronze trophy gets you access to a remote biome, that is still only one dragon of half of all the possibles.

It would be different if there were to be new rares in these remote biomes...that I would oppose as being elitist But my impression is they are supposed to have common dragons. So, what is wrong with waiting a bit to get the common green eyed orange pillow dragon (I made that up, it does not exist) when you don't have the common yellow pillow dragon yet? Most people will get to the remote biomes long before they have CB metals or low gen prize dragons.

To be honest, I think it would be more stressful than necessary for a new person to have to think about all those biomes at once. There are people spazzing out over the idea of a 7 dragon release as it is.

Frankly, I don't feel any need to fulfill some challenge to have access. I've been challenging myself here for going on 5 years already.

Edited by ainisarie

....if I'd suggested a biome that only opens for owners of CB Prizes, I don't think I would have got a stronger reaction. tongue.gif *waves a broom at fuzz* Keep out! All your biomes are belong to me!

And Luckiest Catch belongs to me. HAND OVER !

Honestly, I like the trophy-unlocked biomes best. I joined on Feburary 1st, and I'm very close to getting a Silver (just gotta wait for my dragons to grow up :catstare:); that's, what, three-ish months? It really wouldn't take very long to get access to at least four* biomes, and with the more new dragons being introduced it'd grow easier and easier for people who only want 1-2 of each dragon on their scroll to get access to all of the biomes.

*Assuming two per trophy level, ofc

Edited by Guillotine

There are people spazzing out over the idea of a 7 dragon release as it is.

Honestly, I'm one of them - I've just gone into manic spreadsheet production instead of shouting about it on the forums. tongue.gif

@Fuzz: Eeeeeep! *jumps on Catch and flies off in a hurry*

Edited by Amazon_warrior

Honestly, I'm one of them - I've just gone into manic spreadsheet production instead of shouting about it on the forums. tongue.gif

Me too - frantically wondering how to plan for the fact that I HOPE some of them are hybrids... smile.gif and what ORDER will they show up, and and and

Amazon, yes, I know! You'd just suggested that and it was an option I'd suggested earlier too. It doesn't have quite as much RP value as "collect x dragons from a biome to unlock its remote equivalent" but it's far simpler. Probably easier for TJ to code too.

Esh, did some of you even read my whole post? Feels like the moment you (general) saw 'random' you flipped tables.

Key word in my post was 'attempts', not days. Now it could take 100 days if you only have one of the dragons that would have the BiSA, but if you had more than that, it would take less time.

For instance, I have 8 water dragons (random dragon and not counting hatchlings). I use the BiSA on each of them each day. It would (if I have very bad luck) take me 12 1/2 days at most to get into the remote biome. Someone with more water dragons would get it in less time (a water dragon hoarder would get it on day one most likely).

Just to (hopefully) clarify. I'm still more of a supporter of unlocking via trophy level (and against having to redo the work I've already done).

Amazon, yes, I know! You'd just suggested that and it was an option I'd suggested earlier too. It doesn't have quite as much RP value as "collect x dragons from a biome to unlock its remote equivalent" but it's far simpler. Probably easier for TJ to code too.

*hugs Fi* Sorry hun - I'd mentioned it in passing earlier in the thread too, but it sort of got buried...

Edited by Amazon_warrior