Vhale

Remote Biomes

I find the veteran vs newbie arguement exceptionally silly. Every veteran here used to be a newbie too. But we've been here longer and we have EARNED our veteran status. Using the newbie arguement makes newbies look greedy; it's the gimme gimme syndrome all over again.

It is NOT unfair that veterans should get instant access to new biomes. Veterans have EARNED their place already and shouldn't have to repeat something already done.

BUT..........

There is no need to make access to the new biomes difficult either. The only players who don't deserve access are those who join, grab 4 eggs, then disappear for ages then come back in the middle of something special because someone or something reminded them about this site. That's why I believe that a bronze trohpy is MORE THAN ENOUGH for anyone to have full access to as many of the new biomes as get added.. and that access should be PERMANENT.

All the other extras are just a waste and totally unneeded, not to mention they defeat the purpose of the additional biomes to start with... Getting More Dragons Into the Cave and Off the Completed List. Just follow the KISS principle.. Keep It Simple Stupid.

For sake of peace I i will not comment on the first part of your post other than saying:

- if we call them "greedy", they can call us "lazy" and entitled." The outcome would not be pretty.

- if the option chosen was something like the hatchy-unlocking, that wouldn't be something that the veterans already did. Would be new, exactly like the Remote Biomes woud.

For what concerns the part of your post after the "BUT":

- I FULLY AGREE!

I've no quarrel with bronze as an entry point. But that WILL mean that those who already have it (or silver, or gold) get straight in. Which is fine by me.

Well, I personally think that another option would be to force users to click 200 000 coastal dragons to unlock something like the coastal biome, but as I may have mentioned before, human nature inherently wants an easier path. (Plus I hate clicking).

From way up the thread:

actually, it took me 33 days starting from scratch. It was a great deal of work, and i had some great supporters... but even without that, it should NOT take longer than 2-3 months if you dedicate yourself to getting there.

look at my scroll: in 3 days, it will be 2 months old. I know, I am not a standard player. But anyone can do 850 dragons a year just by picking up dragons and hatching them regularly. so if it takes 1.2 years for everyone to reach a 1000 gold trophy or limit for biomes, I still dont see the issue. People are just afraid that whatever challenge is set, they wont be able to fulfill it - instead of accepting it as just that, another challenge.

Just saying.

ROFL. That is an exception "With great supporters", far from the rule. Do you want to put up a poll asking players how much time it took them to reach the Gold trophy???

@cinnamin: why even have restrictions when the only purpose is to get dragons into the cave?

This is what I dont get. I want something to work for, where I can show off what I did. If access is that easy, its really rather pointless having those restrictions at all.

Exactly what Guillotine said.

When I started playing, we had what, 50 regular breeds?

Reds, magis, golds, silvers, pebbles, neotropicals, vines and alt vines, frills, mints, skywings, water horses, waters, deep seas, horse dragons, purples, pinks, balloons, water walkers, greys, whites, blacks and alt blacks, stones, geodes, two kinds of dorsals, sunrises and sunsets, albinos, daydreams, regular pygmies, splits, ochredrakes, guardians, whiptails and four varieties of stripes and seasonals each. Only four sprites had dimorphism by then, namely silvers, pinks, water horses and splits. Then there're unbreedables - chickens, papers, cheeses and 5 different dinos. Plus the ultra rares, NDs (3 gender variations) and zombies. Which amounts to a total of 60 different adult sprites.

Now, a new player can collect 179 different adult sprites. ( I just did a count on the Which egg is which? page of the dragon cave wiki.) That's three times as many (minus one). Some players have been here even longer. But do you hear any of us complain that, way back when, we didn't have biomes, but just one cave? That, originally, we didn't have BSAs, and dragons were so hard to get for a while that even getting a badly inbred mint from the AP was an accomplishment? (Okay, these two things were before my time.) Do you hear us complain that we had to start our scrolls with very different and rather restricting limits for eggs and hatchlings, or that our eggs and hatchlings had a randomized time to hatch - somewhere between 3 days and 4 days left. For me, it was usually closer to 3 days left than to 4 days left. Do you hear us complain that we couldn't even trade safely, but had to make do with a rather risky method, sending our eggs/hatchlings through the AP to get them to someone else's scroll? Do you hear us complain that some dragons weren't released yet, and that you should start collecting the original breeds before you get to any others?

No, you don't, despite us having worked through a number of issues that you don't even know of (apart from hearsay). Issues that, compared to how things are now, put us at a severe disadvantage back then. (You don't want to know how often rare eggs that you were traded or gifted went lost in trade... Not to mention the 2-year drought for all that was metallic.)

Instead, you complain that people who've been there and done their homework (as well as work on suggesting improvements like teleport or increased egg limits, for example) are going to be rewarded while you are supposed to earn it first.

Again, tell me why players should be kept of those Remote biomes more than few weeks. And how that is good for Dragon Cave....

I did not say anyone should be kept out of biomes more than a few weeks. In my first post here, I said IF a bronze trophy gets you access" And IF it is necessary it would take very little time to get there. With 100 breeds to pick and choose from.

As for how is it good for dragon cave? How is it good for individuals? As I said, people are spazzing over the thought of a 7 dragon release..and some are experienced players. How is it fair to a new person to have to deal with a lot more breeds in more biomes? It might be enough to frighten them away from the game unless they are very determined. That is hardly good for Dragon Cave.

Edited by ainisarie

the DragCave B-day release is making even gold trophy players freak out over getting all the dragons, and it'd be even worse with a release bigger than that.

You realize they're freaking out because they're not thinking it through carefully, right? Getting all the B-day dragons will be easy.

The same can be said for the remote biomes. If people would think things through and make a plan there's no reason to spazz.

I did not say anyone should be kept out of biomes more than a few weeks.  In my first post here, I said IF a bronze trophy gets you access"  And IF it is necessary it would take  very little time to get there.  With 100 breeds to pick and choose from.

As for how is it good for dragon cave?  How is it good for individuals?  As I said, people are spazzing over the thought of a 7 dragon release..and some are experienced players.    How is it fair to a new person to have to deal with a lot more breeds in more biomes?  It might be enough to frighten them away from the game unless they are very determined.  That is hardly good for Dragon Cave.

For all the reasons previously expressed ad nauseam, I find acceptable to have a bronze trophy as a prerequisite to access ALL new biomes.

Are you telling me that the reason to keep new players out for more than few weeks would be "for their own good", so they do not get confused? To the best of my knowledge, they need to be at least 13yo, not exactly children. They can decide if to sit in one biome or in twelve.

Furthermore, I don't get the spazzing part. Since the breeds will be permanent, isn't collecting a few at the time an option? Disclosure: is not very easy for me to understand because of my playstyle. I collect only sprites that I like. So I will wait until I see the adults before I start hunting.

The problem with new breeds is that you can get them relatively easily the day they are released. Only half of that day if they're uncommon. Less if they're rare.

And especially for rares, they're really hard to get once the initial drop is over. That's why everyone is so apprehensive about getting the new breeds ASAP. If you were an older player, you'd probably know that by now. xd.png

Btw, from the way you argue, it's quite obvious you have a bronze trophy, but not reached silver yet. And that you want to get into any remote biome at once unless everyone is forced to wait at least as long as you are. But you know that already, don't you?

The problem with new breeds is that you can get them relatively easily the day they are released. Only half of that day if they're uncommon. Less if they're rare.

And especially for rares, they're really hard to get once the initial drop is over. That's why everyone is so apprehensive about getting the new breeds ASAP. If you were an older player, you'd probably know that by now. xd.png

Exactly.

Remember the blusangs....

I set these dc-records with bronze to silver trophy. O.o

Most adults raised in 1 month

490 (2013.03.09 - 2013.04.10)

Most adults raised in a single day

40 (2013.03.23)

Gold trophy took 33 days.

Congratulations, that was really a record. For mathematical reasons a question come to mind: how many of those dragons did you catch and how many were provided, at same stage of their growth, by your "great supporters?"

Besides that: please stop the nay-saying. Did you try and come up with a suggestion of your own? All i've seen is you shooting towards any suggestion that would not mean free guaranteed access for anyone within a few days. If anyone could have access within a few days, this whole proposal would be worthless. It would just be "add more biomes" with a lot more work for TJ.

Fortunately I didn't need to come up with suggestions of my own since there were others' that I could agree with. And I will not go personal stating that you should stop shooting at any suggestion that would not grant some players the monopoly of the biomes for long periods.

Congratulations, that was really a record. For mathematical reasons a question come to mind: how many of those dragons did you catch and how many were provided, at same stage of their growth, by your "great supporters?"

Actually with the new style AP it would take even less time - you can pick up 4 day eggs and keep doing that. Even faster than incubating. Try it - then you will be ready for whatever.

For all the reasons previously expressed ad nauseam, I find acceptable to have a bronze trophy as a prerequisite to access ALL new biomes.

Are you telling me that the reason to keep new players out for more than few weeks would be "for their own good", so they do not get confused? To the best of my knowledge, they need to be at least 13yo, not exactly children. They can decide if to sit in one biome or in twelve.

Furthermore, I don't get the spazzing part. Since the breeds will be permanent, isn't collecting a few at the time an option? Disclosure: is not very easy for me to understand because of my playstyle. I collect only sprites that I like. So I will wait until I see the adults before I start hunting.

I begin to think you are not reading what I say. I never once said anyone needed bronze silver or gold to access any remote biomes. I said IF. I even capitalized it.

As far as the overwhelming part...maybe you don't understand tongue in cheek.

You do realize there are players younger than 13?

Have you ever read the posts that come with every new release? Are they rare??? Is it permanent??? Do they have a BSA??? Before a single egg has hatched. That's with 2 new dragons. Do not underestimate the ability of people to become hysterical. xd.png

OK Understood your point.

Btw, from the way you argue, it's quite obvious you have a bronze trophy, but not reached silver yet. And that you want to get into any remote biome at once unless everyone is forced to wait at least as long as you are.

Actually, you're wrong in more ways than one. But my experience-based allergy to having eggs and hatchlings bomb-viewed is quite stronger than any wish I could have of proving anybody wrong smile.gif

But you know that already, don't you?

And now, after recognizing my own comment to you, I feel so flattered smile.gif

Edited by _Sin_

True, there are younger players. A couple of years ago, children under 13 years of age merely needed parental consent to join - which my daughter had and still has. She's 10 now, and has been playing DC for 3.5 years now.

True, there are younger players. A couple of years ago, children under 13 years of age merely needed parental consent to join - which my daughter had and still has. She's 10 now, and has been playing DC for 3.5 years now.

Yes indeed. My grandson got a scroll at 11.

Actually with the new style AP it would take even less time - you can pick up 4 day eggs and keep doing that. Even faster than incubating. Try it - then you will be ready for whatever.

Yeah, it is WAY easier now to get to higher trophies than it used to be. Part of the reason it's taken me as long as it did to get to silver was a combination of getting here before the AP was changed and raising a lot of full-time eggs after that. When I actually stick to grabbing things from the AP instead of breeding, I go through growing things extremely quickly.

(and yeah, several players haven't even hit the double digits in age (which i mostly know because their parents mention them), and there are a lot of young players even besides that.)

Btw, from the way you argue, it's quite obvious you have a bronze trophy, but not reached silver yet. And that you want to get into any remote biome at once unless everyone is forced to wait at least as long as you are. But you know that already, don't you?

Why do you assume that someone who is in support of access being easy only has a bronze trophy? I have been in here a number of times making similar points.

Frankly, I'm starting to dislike the idea of new biomes altogether. For one thing, even now there doesn't seem to be enough people spread out between the biomes we have to keep them all moving at a reasonable pace (Most people tend to cluster around Desert, Volcano, and Alpine. Coast gets a middle ground, while Forest and Jungle are more often than not almost devoid of players and hardly ever move). Adding more biomes is likely to compound this, especially since those who have the access are going to flock there to get the new dragons while all the players who don't have access sit around in the unmoving old biomes for awhile until people get bored of the new dragons and start rare hunting again.

As you said "a couple of years ago", that should not be a problem for new players, right?

Why do you assume that someone who is in support of access being easy only has a bronze trophy? I have been in here a number of times making similar points.

And me three...

Frankly, I'm starting to dislike the idea of new biomes altogether. For one thing, even now there doesn't seem to be enough people spread out between the biomes we have to keep them all moving at a reasonable pace (Most people tend to cluster around Desert, Volcano, and Alpine. Coast gets a middle ground, while Forest and Jungle are more often than not almost devoid of players and hardly ever move). Adding more biomes is likely to compound this, especially since those who have the access are going to flock there to get the new dragons while all the players who don't have access sit around in the unmoving old biomes for awhile until people get bored of the new dragons and start rare hunting again.

I can easily agree: few posts earlier, I stated that I now didn't see the need to have additional biomes.

That was after spending hours catching eggs that I could gift just to move the biome.

As you said "a couple of years ago", that should not be a problem for new players, right?

I wouldn't be so certain of that; again, I've heard of players as young as eight playing the game right now.

I wouldn't be so certain of that; again, I've heard of players as young as eight playing the game right now.

Yes. There are several playing who are well under the age of 13, I can assure you.

Not that I understand what that has to do with anything (other than the law and so on) - a lot of adults are far less suss about this kind of thing; my 8 y/o granddaughter has sorted out other on line games for me... xd.png

I don't understand how player youth relates to the concept of unlockable biomes/biomes taking a long time to unlock.