Vhale

Remote Biomes

Well, I did read the whole thing, Slaskia. I just can't get past the "random" thing. Did I mention that RNG hates me? Cuz, it totally does.

My husband swears I'm the worst dice roller he ever saw. And if I put something in an RNG, the number I get out will be the worst possible outcome for me.

So - if 500 dragons is the requirement (say) I have to add to my already bloated scroll (I hate to release or kill) 500 dragons I don't want, just for this ?

But a reminder then - Fi suggested:

Isn't that what you are now objecting to ?

Other than the fact that I was typing at the same time that Fiona was so I was not referencing that post, the first sentence still seems like a fair compromise. There is a stratospheric difference between 50 and 500 eggs.

Privately, I don't care all that much which unlocking mechanism is used - as long as it's not random, and once you got in, you'll always get in.

Other than the fact that I was typing at the same time that Fiona was so I was not referencing that post, the first sentence still seems like a fair compromise. There is a stratospheric difference between 50 and 500 eggs.

It would still be 50 eggs I didn't want or need. What would be the point ?

And what is the problem with trophy related ? Is it unfair that some of us have trophies in the first place, too ?

This may sound elitist coming from a gold trophy player, but it is not intended to be.

What does it matter if a long time player has immediate access to something a new person does not have for a bit? There are around 100 different breeds of dragons for the new person to collect. This does not count holidays and seasonal variations that take a whole year to get. If a bronze trophy gets you access to a remote biome, that is still only one dragon of half of all the possibles.

It would be different if there were to be new rares in these remote biomes...that I would oppose as being elitist But my impression is they are supposed to have common dragons. So, what is wrong with waiting a bit to get the common green eyed orange pillow dragon (I made that up, it does not exist) when you don't have the common yellow pillow dragon yet? Most people will get to the remote biomes long before they have CB metals or low gen prize dragons.

To be honest, I think it would be more stressful than necessary for a new person to have to think about all those biomes at once. There are people spazzing out over the idea of a 7 dragon release as it is.

Frankly, I don't feel any need to fulfill some challenge to have access. I've been challenging myself here for going on 5 years already.

The simple fact that those "common" eggs could not be caught by everybody would make them "rare". And that would reflect on the Trading threads...

The simple fact that those "common" eggs could not be caught by everybody would make them "rare". And that would reflect on the Trading threads...

Everyone can catch them. They just have to wait a bit.

It would still be 50 eggs I didn't want or need. What would be the point ?

And what is the problem with trophy related ? Is it unfair that some of us have trophies in the first place, too ?

Following that concept, you already have the 50 eggs that were required since your trophy is highr than bronze. The difference would be for the newbies, between catching 50 eggs to get access to all biomes or 500.

Anyway, if you think that people should get full access to the 6 biomes only when get have a gold trophy, put up a poll. Let's see what the community thinks. Even if I would like to know which percentage of the players are members of the forum.

Everyone can catch them. They just have to wait a bit.

LOL a bit??? You don't want to wait 100 days with the random option but they need to wait all the time that is needed to catch 500 eggs??? LOL!

And BTW, 100 days is the worst case scenario, only if you are so very unlucky!

Edited by _Sin_

You know, I would feel very sorry for anyone who paid rare prices for an egg they could very possibly get 5 of a day just by waiting a few weeks. As in pity, not sympathy. Or as someone once said, TASBEM. Personally I would never pay rare price for an unknown.

Now I don't know if gold trophy should be necessary for all the biomes. However, if it was, and given the state of the AP these days, even gold trophy is not that hard anymore.

There are a LOT of people with gold trophies, and if the current state of the AP is any indication they'll be dumping CBs as well as breds, and since they're commons it would be very easy to get them (ratios, remember?). You wouldn't need a gold trophy to get the dragons.

You know, I would feel very sorry for anyone who paid rare prices for an egg they could very possibly get 5 of a day just by waiting a few weeks.  As in pity, not sympathy.  Or as someone once said, TASBEM.  Personally I would never pay rare price for an unknown.

Now I don't know if gold trophy should be necessary for all the biomes.  However, if it was, and given the  state of the AP these days,  even gold trophy is not that hard anymore.

"Few weeks?" How many weeks do you think that are needed to raise 500 dragons??? *

Furthermore, if they were to use the AP, they would need to adapt to whatever eggs are there. Talk about impacting play-style.

* in particular if you do not have 21 slots.

Edited by _Sin_

"Few weeks?" How many weeks do you think that are needed to raise 500 dragons???

Furthermore, if they were to use the AP,  they would need to adapt to whatever eggs are there. Talk about impacting play-style.

And how is that worse than randomizing everything so that NOBODY has the dragons in the highest levels for weeks on end? Trophy based with a bit of AP fishing as a result is infinitely better than dealing with an RNG.

Edited by Guillotine

....and I said "random access so that bronze and silver trophy holders aren't locked out of 'gold-trophy only' biomes" and you said "no fair!!!"

Wut?

And how is that worse than randomizing everything so that NOBODY has the dragons in the highest levels for weeks on end? Trophy based with a bit of AP fishing as a result is infinitely better than dealing with an RNG.

I prefer the RNG to the AP hunting, but I prefer the hatchy unlock temporary access to all the ideas suggested insofar. The BiSA and the pick up cave caught eggs and randomly access a biome are my second favourite.

(And if DC could unlock based on the weather I am currently experiencing - doable based on browser geolocation, combined with hatchies or one of the above criteria, I think it would be magical, and we'd have a different range of biomes accessible as we live in different places).

Edited by DarkEternity

Actually I'm not advocating Random, I commented on the fairness of it and used it as an example of people not wanting to do what they want others to do multiplied by 5.

What I'm advocating, as a compromise, are requirements that would allow everybody to gain access to all biomes really within few weeks.

BTW questions for the posters that want to keep others out for as long as possible: what is your real motivation? how is it good for the community?

"Few weeks?" How many weeks do you think that are needed to raise 500 dragons??? *

Furthermore, if they were to use the AP, they would need to adapt to whatever eggs are there. Talk about impacting play-style.

I did not say you could get to gold trophy in a few weeks. I said "given the state of the AP these days, even gold trophy is not that hard anymore. " Not the same thing.

I also said that you could get some of those common eggs in a few weeks without paying rare prices. And as someone else sad, it is not unlikely that some of those eggs will be dropped to the AP where they can be gotten for free. (Provided you have been around long enough to recognize it as an egg not seen in regular biomes.)

I prefer the RNG to the AP hunting, but I prefer the hatchy unlock temporary access to all the ideas suggested insofar. The BiSA and the pick up cave caught eggs and randomly access a biome are my second favourite.

(And if DC could unlock based on the weather I am currently experiencing - doable based on browser geolocation, combined with hatchies or one of the above criteria, I think it would be magical, and we'd have a different range of biomes accessible as we live in different places).

Hatchy temporary unlocking is still my favorite but didn't seem possible to reach consensu so I'm trying "compromise."

The weather-related suggestion sounds fantastic, not sure how feasible.

This is probably way late and you're talking about something else by now, but I LOVE the BiSA idea. In reality all someone needs is ONE dragon from a biome to be able to eventually unlock that biome. Sure, it'll take 100 uses of the BiSA [100 days minimum], but they'd still be able to do it.

I did not say you could get to gold trophy in a few weeks. I said "given the state of the AP these days, even gold trophy is not that hard anymore. " Not the same thing.

I also said that you could get some of those common eggs in a few weeks without paying rare prices. And as someone else sad, it is not unlikely that some of those eggs will be dropped to the AP where they can be gotten for free. (Provided you have been around long enough to recognize it as an egg not seen in regular biomes.)

Again, tell me why players should be kept of those Remote biomes more than few weeks. And how that is good for Dragon Cave....

I find the veteran vs newbie arguement exceptionally silly. Every veteran here used to be a newbie too. But we've been here longer and we have EARNED our veteran status. Using the newbie arguement makes newbies look greedy; it's the gimme gimme syndrome all over again.

It is NOT unfair that veterans should get instant access to new biomes. Veterans have EARNED their place already and shouldn't have to repeat something already done.

BUT..........

There is no need to make access to the new biomes difficult either. The only players who don't deserve access are those who join, grab 4 eggs, then disappear for ages then come back in the middle of something special because someone or something reminded them about this site. That's why I believe that a bronze trohpy is MORE THAN ENOUGH for anyone to have full access to as many of the new biomes as get added.. and that access should be PERMANENT.

All the other extras are just a waste and totally unneeded, not to mention they defeat the purpose of the additional biomes to start with... Getting More Dragons Into the Cave and Off the Completed List. Just follow the KISS principle.. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

LOL a bit??? You don't want to wait 100 days with the random option but they need to wait all the time that is needed to catch 500 eggs??? LOL!

And BTW, 100 days is the worst case scenario, only if you are so very unlucky!

From way up the thread:

Right now the only goal is getting a gold trophy, and that does take more than a month of two even starting from a silver trophy.

I fail to see how this is a strawman? It took me several months to get from silver to gold, and that's with constantly grabbing low time eggs whenever I could, as well as throwing in some freezing. Some people are suggesting that the "veteran's biomes" be unlocked with trophy levels, be they current or additional. Additional ones are absolutely absurd in my opinion, as gold is a high enough goal as it is, and adding biome access to the current ones is still out there in my opinion because of how long it takes to get to gold to begin with. I'm not fabricating an argument out of thin-air, and it's just as valid an opinion as anyone else's. I frankly find it insulting that you're attempting to throw of my concerns by claiming that my stance is ' just a stupid strawman'.

actually, it took me 33 days starting from scratch. It was a great deal of work, and i had some great supporters... but even without that, it should NOT take longer than 2-3 months if you dedicate yourself to getting there.

look at my scroll: in 3 days, it will be 2 months old. I know, I am not a standard player. But anyone can do 850 dragons a year just by picking up dragons and hatching them regularly. so if it takes 1.2 years for everyone to reach a 1000 gold trophy or limit for biomes, I still dont see the issue. People are just afraid that whatever challenge is set, they wont be able to fulfill it - instead of accepting it as just that, another challenge.

Just saying.

Actually I'm not advocating Random, I commented on the fairness of it and used it as an example of people not wanting to do what they want others to do multiplied by 5.

What I'm advocating, as a compromise, are requirements that would allow everybody to gain access to all biomes really within few weeks.

BTW questions for the posters that want to keep others out for as long as possible: what is your real motivation? how is it good for the community?

To keep players from being overwhelmed by 10-20+ new dragons released at once, as I'm pretty sure I've said in the thread (or at least agreed with someone saying it). When I was new the current number of dragons was completely overwhelming, the DragCave B-day release is making even gold trophy players freak out over getting all the dragons, and it'd be even worse with a release bigger than that. Staggering it by linking the biomes to trophy level allows players to access the dragons at a pace that's manageable.

Hatchy temporary unlocking is still my favorite but didn't seem possible to reach consensu so I'm trying "compromise."

The weather-related suggestion sounds fantastic, not sure how feasible.

A weather related suggestion I believe is feasible if the site can send a request to something like Yahoo with our geolocation. GPX plus has a feature to calculate and award EXP based on the distance between two points, so it gets geolocation twice. To curb server usage, the feature can be activated only a limited number of times in a period.

The difference with weather is that the server fetches geolocation and then contacts an API like Yahoo which then replies and the server uses the reply to determine what is unlocked.

Just trying to get more suggestions out there. We're going around in circles with the more obvious/easier ones like trophy limits.

Edited by DarkEternity

I set these dc-records with bronze to silver trophy. O.o

Most adults raised in 1 month

490 (2013.03.09 - 2013.04.10)

Most adults raised in a single day

40 (2013.03.23)

Gold trophy took 33 days.

Besides that: please stop the nay-saying. Did you try and come up with a suggestion of your own? All i've seen is you shooting towards any suggestion that would not mean free guaranteed access for anyone within a few days. If anyone could have access within a few days, this whole proposal would be worthless. It would just be "add more biomes" with a lot more work for TJ.

A weather related suggestion I believe is feasible if the site can send a request to something like Yahoo with our geolocation. GPX plus has a feature to calculate and award EXP based on the distance between two points, so it gets geolocation twice. To curb server usage, the feature can be activated only a limited number of times in a period.

The difference with weather is that the server fetches geolocation and then contacts an API like Yahoo which then replies and the server uses the reply to determine what is unlocked.

Just trying to get more suggestions out there. We're going arpund in circles with the more obvious/easier ones like trophy limits.

This boggles the mind. As a matter of interest - I log in regularly from two locations - one in the UK and one in Canada, so....

I agree with Cinnamin.