Lila

School/University/College

...o___O Wow, that sounds really awkward. I respect all sorts of beliefs but i feel like it's kind of inappropriate to go into that much depth about your beliefs in the classroom setting, you know? Especially since this was a prof, and they're supposed to have some degree of professionalism in the workplace >.>

Some people.

...o___O Wow, that sounds really awkward. I respect all sorts of beliefs but i feel like it's kind of inappropriate to go into that much depth about your beliefs in the classroom setting, you know? Especially since this was a prof, and they're supposed to have some degree of professionalism in the workplace >.>

Some people.

Yeah, exactly. I'm halfway between being a non-denominational Christian and an agnostic and/or atheist (I really just don't contemplate religious beliefs very often) but my major point of view is that no matter what I believe is true, in regards to religion, my beliefs are no more important than anyone else's (and vice versa, but I'm not generally one to get into an argument with someone trying to shove their beliefs down my throat (do it to one of my friends though...)).

He even giggled at the notion that "Christians are so arrogant to think that their religion, out of the millions of explanations (scientific philosophic and religious) is the correct one. Statistically, how would they even know?"

Because you don't believe in something that you feel is wrong? "Well, I think a giant Koi fish created the universe by blowing a bubble, but you know, I'm going to believe in Christianity instead."

And you know, there's only one right explanation for how the universe came to be. Regardless of the statistics of any one explanation being right, ultimately, one HAS to be right (assuming we have a complete list of explanations for how the universe may have come to be).

-K-

Or maybe they're all right simultaneously?

I just have these weird thoughts.

Then wouldn't that itself be another explanation? The "E" on the list for "all of the above"?

This is a multiple choice test. You can't just circle more than one answer.

GOSH!

-K-

Edited by Kamak

Then wouldn't that itself be another explanation? The "E" on the list for "all of the above"?

This is a multiple choice test. You can't just circle more than one answer.

GOSH!

-K-

Ack, do I fail? D:

Ack, do I fail? D:

Yes, and this course is only offered in the fall so you'll have to take it then.

And there will be a mandatory lab and 3 term papers. I suggest you start studying now for it.

Also, the other day I noticed that Taco Bell raised their prices over the summer.

Taco Bell, why you do this to me? I don't have money to spend more than $5 for a meal 2 or more times a week.

I may need to start heading to Subway, but it's an even further walk downhill to get there (meaning a further walk back uphill later).

-K-

Yes, and this course is only offered in the fall so you'll have to take it then.

And there will be a mandatory lab and 3 term papers. I suggest you start studying now for it.

Also, the other day I noticed that Taco Bell raised their prices over the summer.

Taco Bell, why you do this to me? I don't have money to spend more than $5 for a meal 2 or more times a week.

I may need to start heading to Subway, but it's an even further walk downhill to get there (meaning a further walk back uphill later).

-K-

;____; wwwwhhhhyyyyyy

Hey, at least you'll get some exercise.

See, this is why I didn't major in science.

Some science professors are just WEIRD. Of course, it may be fun to study herpetology, but I doubt they have a course exclusively for that anywhere nearby me.

If a herpetology professor can someone go off on religion in the context of reptiles, my mind will be blown. Period.

I've been sick for the past few weeks, and it got considerably worse once school started. It was rather fun, having to sit through math class while hacking away like some kind of sputtering steam engine.

Joy.

*sigh*

Edited by Pink

Not in this heat, with these steep hills, on bad sidewalks with a still recovering sprained ankle though...

And I walk about 7 miles a day at college up and down hills... I think I'm a bit good on exercise... tongue.gif

-K-

Not in this heat, with these steep hills, on bad sidewalks with a still recovering sprained ankle though...

And I walk about 7 miles a day at college up and down hills... I think I'm a bit good on exercise... tongue.gif

-K-

o_o

WELL THEN. I don't know.

/shuffles away from the SICK

Don't you get me sick through the intertubes!

Lab tomorrow. Yay? Too hot for long pants and closed-toe shows, blech. I hope the laboratory is decent.

See!

This is why I'm not studying science. Hot labs! Raving professors! Next thing you know it'll be dead toads!

I'll just sit in my leetle math classroom and snigger at you all.

:3

Pft, I've lived with professors all my life, I'm used to the crazy.

Math... at this point I'm glad it's easy, as a hard math class plus a hard chem class would equal dead bird.

Yeah, for some odd reason (silliness, I guess) I decided to take two hard math classes as once.

Brilliant Pink, BRILLIANT.

*thwacks self*

What are they?

Also, my sleep schedule is all screwy. I wish I had a more consistent schedule - I can't shake this idea of "oh, tomorrow I have class later, that means I can stay up!"

Blergh. Right, sleep. Night.

What are they?

Also, my sleep schedule is all screwy. I wish I had a more consistent schedule - I can't shake this idea of "oh, tomorrow I have class later, that means I can stay up!"

Blergh. Right, sleep. Night.

Good point.

I actually have class early tomorrow, but I'm terrible with procrastinating.

Good night all.

o_o

WELL THEN. I don't know.

/shuffles away from the SICK

Don't you get me sick through the intertubes!

Lab tomorrow. Yay? Too hot for long pants and closed-toe shows, blech. I hope the laboratory is decent.

I know you were probably talking to Pink, but I currently have a sinus infection caused by allergies... and people treat me like I have the plague. Since the swine flu epidemic actually hit my college fairly bad, we've had an enforced quarantine policy, which basically means "If you have anything that could possibly be considered contagious, don't come to class or else there will be consequences". Unfortunately though, profs are not on the same page, and many think college students are abusing the rule to get out of tests, which means they're against make up tests, labs, or even HELPING students (in some extreme cases) because of "illness". Some profs accept no doctor's notes except for something that would make it impossible to come to school (like a car accident). So many sick students, because of attendance policies in classes and labs force themselves to go to class because they can't afford to miss it because the prof doesn't want other people abusing the system, and if the student is caught (usually by other students) as being sick they can get into trouble for being on the campus (or outside their dorm) because of the quarantine rule.

So basically, rather than "kids forcing themselves to go to class and spreading disease because professors are hard asses over illnesses", the university has now changed to situation to be "kids forcing themselves to go to class, hoping they won't get in trouble, and spreading disease because professors are hard asses over illnesses"

We need more dialogue about this issue. I usually get sinus infections, which means it's tough for me to even DRIVE to my college let alone focus, but oftentimes I have to force myself to go, and even though I'm not contagious, if anyone reports me and if they seem to believe I'm contagious, I can get in trouble just for having allergies. I'd rather just stay home for a day or two to get better, not risk my life or someone else's behind the wheel, and not have to have people freak out that I have the sniffles and a cough, all to go to a class or lab that I could easily make up if the prof just gave that as an option. Hell, I go everyday I can even to the crap classes where I could pass all of the tests with flying colors by NOT EVEN SHOWING UP TO CLASS (yes there are classes like those. Usually crap classes that the university forces you to take, and they're especially easy if you took Pre-AP or AP classes).

[/rant]

Also, how hot it is there? It was 110 here today... My shirt was soaked and I didn't stop sweating (in a 74 degree room) until 50 minutes into my lab.

Also, I hate wearing boots on hot days, I walk too slow.

-K-

And finally, the biggest wallbanger (and what really makes all of these "figures" the best part of the lecture) he put up a figure showing that there are more self-confessed religious people in jail than atheists, and that religion was the reason for this correlation.

Because as all good scientists know, correlation is not causation >_O If it was, as I recently saw an amusing graph show, recorded global temperatures on Earth would be causing supernovae.

Well...materialism is just one of many ways of understanding the world, it's not the only one, and science by definition cannot go outside the material. If there is an immaterial, science would never have word one to say about it. It's still knowledge and fascinating to learn, just have to put up with the personalities you learn from.

ETA: That's a really backwards quarantine-stuff-professor situation :/

Edited by Princess Artemis

A question: what is the best/most polite/least awkward way to ask the roomie for the room for part of the night? Mine tends to go to bed pretty early and stays in at night, and the other place I could go is full of frat guys who tend to show up drunk at odd hours, apparently? Is there any sort of protocol that goes along with this, or is it just whatever the two of you are cool with? I feel like I'm being a jerk and trying to kick her out. :/ No people skills at all.

A question: what is the best/most polite/least awkward way to ask the roomie for the room for part of the night?  Mine tends to go to bed pretty early and stays in at night, and the other place I could go is full of frat guys who tend to show up drunk at odd hours, apparently?  Is there any sort of protocol that goes along with this, or is it just whatever the two of you are cool with?  I feel like I'm being a jerk and trying to kick her out. :/  No people skills at all.

Merp. I'm one of those people that tends to go to bed at a reasonable time and doesn't go out much. From this side of the fence, they're probably just trying to be responsible instead of ruining their grades by partying all night or staying up so long they can't function... Before you ask them, I'd make sure that they have a place to go that night. I mean, if the only place they could really go is the loud frat place too then... I figure as long as they have a quiet, pleasant place to hang until they can come back then it wouldn't be so bad to ask.

Hot labs?

Ah I'd take that. Our labs (and the entire science building) are freezing. It's been close to 100 F outside everyday and most of us are wearing coats in the building because they have the A/C up WAY too high.

Half of why I choose to wear a lab coat is because it keeps me warm.

I had one science professor who tried to do the whole "all religion is WRONG" thing, I just learned to tune him out when he was ranting because it was his opinion and I wasn't going to let it get to me.

When he didn't rant, he is a very intelligent and nice person. I thought he did a very good job of teaching the class.

Welp, it was hot and I broke something. Not as hot as where you are, Kamak. I'd hug you but I'm all sticky.

/feeling dumb

What did you break? *curious*

I broke a beaker once trying to clean it out because my hands were shaking. Last semester I broke a test tube because I wasn't paying attention and I tend to not see the hood part of the fume hood and I turned around too fast and my test tube hit the hood and shattered.

Wednesday everyone was breaking their reaction tubes. We were all trying to do three our four tests at a time and people didn't understand you could put reaction tubes in a beaker to move them around. People were trying to carry three or four tubes at a time in one hand while measuring things out.

Broken glass everywhere.

(and those are worse to break because they've got calibrated markings on them - thus more expensive)

In other news, we are going to be working with the emerald cockroach wasp in genetics, which is like the most awesome predator ever.

It was just a funnel - I was drying it and it slipped.

Mind control ftw. Though, is it a predator, or a parasitoid?

In other news, we are going to be working with the emerald cockroach wasp in genetics, which is like the most awesome predator ever.

That thing is crazy cool. I hope we at least touch on it in Animal Behavior. <3

Well, yes, parasitoid.

Regardless, pretty awesome. It's apparently the first year the genetics class at our school is working with them.

Of course we are still working with the classical genetic model organism, Drosophila melanogaster, the fruit fly.