Lila

School/University/College

I'm really happy I am taking American Sign Language in school right now. It's a way to communicate without having to actually speak to people which is nice. Plus I have a couple of regular customers at work who are Deaf and I was able to actually communicate a little better with one of them a couple of nights ago!

why won't america follow finland and scandinavia with their amazing school system like why

Yay, Finland mentioned! It's so weird to hear about how different school systems are away from here. Yk, at the moment I'm a university student and the government PAYS me ~400 euros (440$) to study?! That just seems so mind blowing sometimes. And my university studies are basically free of charge, the pay per semester for the student union is 100 euros so it's practically nothing. I could also get a small loan that the government backs up for me. There is limitation on my other income, though, I cannot make more than 600 € (I don't remember the correct amount) per month or I lose the money government gives me. I also have to get 5,5 ECTS (or credits) per month to qualify as a full-time student.

Man, sometimes I really love Finland.

Yay, Finland mentioned! It's so weird to hear about how different school systems are away from here. Yk, at the moment I'm a university student and the government PAYS me ~400 euros (440$) to study?! That just seems so mind blowing sometimes. And my university studies are basically free of charge, the pay per semester for the student union is 100 euros so it's practically nothing. I could also get a small loan that the government backs up for me. There is limitation on my other income, though, I cannot make more than 600 € (I don't remember the correct amount) per month or I lose the money government gives me. I also have to get 5,5 ECTS (or credits) per month to qualify as a full-time student.

Man, sometimes I really love Finland.

That would be phenomenal right about now.

I'm free in two days. As terrible as all of my marks may turn out to be.. I'm just gonna deal with it.

Oh lord I want to scream. My first finals week. From the sounds of things, I have an incredibly unstressful finals week involving only two final exams, a 6-8 page final paper, and an 8 hour final project, but I am still incredibly stressed and almost dying inside a little.

I've got the Bio, English, and Art down, but Chemistry is a bit of a nightmare. The teacher we were supposed to have retired. The man who replaced her is probably a very good teacher when it comes to things he's taught before and is used to teaching, but he's said he hasn't messed with this course in years so it's a bit of a struggle for all of us. It most certainly is not his fault he got thrown into this, but man, over half of the class is spent correcting his slides and him going back and forth to make sure he's teaching us correctly. Thankfully, next semester, I'll have a professor who is actually used to the course he's teaching. Still, I think I've come out of this semester knowing less about chemistry than when I started, and that is concerning since my final is in less than a week >.<

Edited by Aquenee

so, a few days ago my school term ended, meaning now no more school for me until i can go to uni, college or tafe...... im scared because i have to either get a job or go to school in order to keep my current type of disability pension, and that scares me because my mother is my nominee for my pension so it scary that if i lose it that we could be under the poverty line, agian xd.png. sorry for that sad bit (i do feel sad because i dont think ill ever see the friends i made at school)but i do look forward to coing to uni when i can decide on a course, maybe philophy or writing (book writing), im thinking something to do with litereture.

Next semester will be my last semester if there are no more accident. I had to graduate last year but double major was harder than I thought...

1 hour ago, sh20000sh said:

Next semester will be my last semester if there are no more accident. I had to graduate last year but double major was harder than I thought...

I'm also closing in on graduating! I have some courses and my master's thesis left to write, but I hope I'll be done by the start of next summer. I've also been thinking about aiming for doctorate after it, since I enjoy academic writing and research. We'll see how my thesis project goes and decide when it's time to apply in the spring!

I have a message for Veterans...  I know that things have changed a lot since I attended college under the GI Bill, but I still have this to say:::  

If you have educational benefits coming to you, then by all means... USE THEM!!!   

When I applied to go to college, I found out that I had lost 8-1/2 years of paid education that I had earned...  AND HADN"T KNOWN ABOUT IT!!!  In my ignorance, I had overlooked it.

I did go to college and started towards a degree in Criminology as I was thinking of Law Enforcemwnt as a career.  I finished my degree on my own dime and graduated with a two-year degree....  hahaha, of course I had to ask one of my friends as to why my diploma letters were in gold and his were  in black...  He pointed out that it meant that as I had finished with a 3.5 average and been on the Dean's list three times, it meant that I had graduated with Honors!!!  I was totally surprised..  

I did end up with the California Highway Patrol, but because of my mechanical skills, I worked in commercial vehicle enforcement and Big-Rig accident investigation...  It was an interesting career.

Don't let your earned educational benefits go to waste.

I probably graduate next year.

My univ life is **** .

*sigh*  Just I hope myself do not choose worst way after this finished.

Edited by Kyath The Dream Worker

I’m just going into my second year at university and I couldn’t be happier!! My course is super interesting and isn’t too hard - I don’t even have any sit-down examinations this year (or last year) O.o They’re all online and open-book! Annoyingly being in the UK means I have a lot of loans to pay off, but thankfully a week’s food shop for me and my boyfriend costs between £15 and £20 so we’re doing good!! Life’s gotten so much better since I’ve been here ^_^ 

I've studied game programming for two years now in a university of applied sciences. From what I've gathered, my school is well known and respected in the game industry of Finland due to how we mostly learn game development in practice and not just in theory. More or less half of our studies are project studies. In these project studies we form teams and develop games for different platforms with various coding languages and engines. It's pretty fun and also teaches you a lot about the whole process of making games, not even mentioning the teamwork and communication required to make a game.

It's going well.  I feel like I need to study more though because procrastination is rampant as is the lack of wifi in my dorm.  I feel like I need to become more social and outgoing and it's something that I've personally always wanted to do, but I don't understand group dynamics or conversation flow.  It's not helping that I have an aversion to house parties, especially those involving alcohol.  Really, any event with a bunch of strangers drinking and talking is something I'm not comfortable with at all, especially ones who are mostly more than a foot taller than I am.  But as a class rep, I feel like I'm expected to be someone who isn't just spending hours drawing dragons and catching insects as pets.  It's also something that I personally want for myself, but my paranoia about getting drunk and doing something that will destroy me refuses to budge at all, especially since I'm sure I have the lowest alcohol tolerance in my class.

You can get involved in stuff in college without drinking.  Look into student clubs and associations that match your interests, or start your own.

For example, for homecoming parade, both student housing and the fraternities/sororities would make floats.  I had no interest in pledging, but I still help build the floats, make banners, etc.  We also started an unofficial "melee club" that consisted of building foam covered PVC weapons and swordfighting with them.  Yep, we were dorks and it was glorious.

Yeah, in college the only parties I went to were with my girlfriend, who was a big partier. The parties are really not that fun, especially if you don't like alcohol (like me) or aren't comfortable being drunk around strangers. I can assure you that there are plenty of people who feel the same way in college. Branching out to clubs or associations like Lyz said will help you find people with similar interests. Alcohol is definitely not necessary to have fun in college. Perhaps consider befriending some of your classmates and forming study groups-- that's how I ended up making most of my friends in college. Then once you've established study groups and get to know each other better, you can do other things out side of class and studying together. 

The only little problem with not drinking is that I'm doing university in Ireland and here, drinking is a cultural thing and everyone does it to some extent.  Im supposed to organize trips, parties, and other fun things.   I did join one society, but nobody else from my class joined it.  I tried going to the bar once and I waited thirty minutes in front of the bar because I was being overshadowed by 'treeple' and I don't know how bars work, so I ended up standing there and trying not to crash into people.

I'm going to College to be a Sub-Atomic Particle Physicist! I'm gonna be taking out some student loans, but I'm working on getting grants and scholarships like crazy so I can just erase the debts.

I just started my first semester of college a few weeks ago. Even as I was approaching the end of senior year of high school, I was absolutely dreading having to go to college, but I'm taking online classes and it's working out well so far. I also had no idea what I would go to college for, since I don't have many interests that translate into reasonable careers. I got a grant from the state that pays for certificates in certain high demand jobs, though, and after looking through the programs the grant covered I decided to go for software development. I don't have any programming classes yet, but for this semester I do have two tech-related classes and I find them really interesting. ^_^ Pursuing this kind of career feels right to me, since tech workers will be in high demand, the jobs will pay well, and there are work from home options.