Lila

School/University/College

My friend's chem prof set things on fire in her first lecture last week. Lucky, mine never did ;_;

Though in high school we did shoot a cork out of a test tube by igniting hydrogen gas. Not college, but still awesome.

I just read 23 pages of extremely dry material which I'm supposed to be quizzed on tomorrow. I hope to god I absorbed at least something.

Got my first grade report today. 4 As and a B. Not sure how that happened, but I'm not displeased. Of course... there are quite a few tests and stuff the teachers simply have not gotten around to grading yet. A few of those As will probably go down, but overall laugh.gif

I get my grades online... can monitor them over time. Problem is, I can't tell if they're simply not up-to-date, or whether I'm getting zeros on some things x_X It's rather nervewracking.

*note to self: email math dude about that

So I have a wheel throwing class that is really just a general pottery class...and some woman couldn't find a baby sitter, so she brought her baby to class. She brought an infant to a possibly dangerous area filled with dust, mold and other things that could be toxic for even an adult. So 10 minutes into class the thing starts shrieking. There's random shrieks for the next 30 minutes. Needless to say I took that day to sand a lot of my stuff and make more dust. The teacher asked the woman to leave because she couldn't stand it anymore and neither could the class. What I want to know is what made this woman think bringing the baby there was a good idea. The teacher is lenient and she made that clear at the beginning of the semester, so she could have just called or came up to the lab and told the teacher she couldn't make it. For some reason I almost feel as if she had to show off her meat bag like it was something to be proud of...

Sorry, but I just can't stand it when people feel the need to inconvenience people with their offspring.

Unrelated to college, but the roommate told that a woman with full shopping cart tried to cut in front of them in a walmart, using the "but I'm pregnant" excuse.

I also have to make an at least 12 inch wide or tall "something" out of clay and it's due by Monday. Ideas?

Yes, children are very much meatbags.

I have A's in everything at the moment (except for one paper which was kind of an awkward assignment) but that may change. I don't THINK so because I'm a perfectionist, but you never know.

I have yet to take my philosophy exam, which I'm worried that I'll do terribly in. :x

I'm just not a philosophical type of person.

I never get grade cards, not until midterms D: I have to piece together my grade from assignments I get back.

We had our first Organic Chemistry test today. You could feel the fear in the air.

Hopefully it will be curved, because it sounded like no one really had any idea of what they were doing.

I have no idea how to memorize hybrid orbitals so...there was just a whole page on that. We spent about five minutes talking about it and it was expected that we remembered it from general chemistry D:

I also can't read Newman Projections. I can't physically make them three-dimensional in my mind. So I had a hard time with figuring out which was lowest in energy and which was highest

(Which I do understand how to figure that out if you plopped the model of it down in front of me. I can figure it out from line drawings too... just newman projections...)

Everything I really studied for wasn't on the test... Or a very small value point.

*sigh* At least I annihilated my genetics test. I figure 1 out of 3 (of my first tests of the year) is good..

Hybrid orbitals x_x We went over them in chem lecture today. Also, he did the thing with the diamagnetic tube and the paramagnetic metal bit. It was neat.

Yah.

See, this is why I'm extremely happy my current course of study has next-to-no science in it. I like science, but I would probably slightly worse than I do in math. That means I'd only be a 90-91% average student. Kinda low for me. :\

I just don't have the head for memorizing things I know will be of little relevance to me, and that I'll forget anyways in several years.

Edited by Pink

First exam for my algebra class is today D:

Posted this on the last page, just want to update and say I don't think I passed =/

Panic attacks during tests are bad news.

Posted this on the last page, just want to update and say I don't think I passed =/

Aww, mando. *Hugs*

Edited by RheaZen

I've always hated the idea of memorizing things. That's why I really hate exams.

I know the material, I just can't memorize it. If you set it in front of me in a real example (meaning, not on paper) I can do it. (Which is why my lab scores are significantly higher than my lecture scores).

When I get to exams it's like... poof.

I just think it's way better to understand the material than to memorize it. *me and my opinions*

Hopefully it will turn out ok Mando. Always hope for a curve?

I'm worried my flies will be dead tomorrow (tomorrow being my genetics lab) and won't have bred at all. I found out I have to kill all of them anyway but I need a next generation before I murder them.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Awww yeaaaah, I bugged my TA in one class so much about the necessary volunteering hours that they're letting me do something I actually want to do for the hours.

And the campus squirrels... <3

...Is it bad if I search for eggs on DC during class? >__<

One university I visited had campus bunnies. Hundreds of them. It was actually a little bit unsettling, not going to lie, because everywhere you went there were a ton of them and they didn't run away from you - just sat and stared and hoped for little morsels of apples or carrots.

Depends on the class. I'm in bio right now, going over mitosis for the gajillionth time in my life.

We have bunnies here too, just not nearly as many. Did they let you pet them? <3

Right now we have a gazillion (very scientific of me) geese on campus migrating through. A lot of them just stay through winter.

We have 7 or 10 ponds on campus (can't remember which) so they absolutely love it here. That and no one messes with them and they have all the grass seed they want.

They harass people on sidewalks (the geese walk on the lawn so inevitably they cross sidewalks and honk at people).

But, it is really fun to watch them fly by the chem lab window on 3rd floor.

Yeah, we were allowed to pet them. They were actually really adorable and would hop up to you and basically beg for food xd.png Spoiled little buggers, but pretty cute anyway.

The only thing we get on our campus is the occasional rabbit or squirrel, and neither of them are really that cute.

Just got my exam back: I did pass after all :D

Just barely scraped my way into a C

We have geese and swans, and sometimes squirrels. We used to have a tame deer too, but I think someone shot it or something...

The geese are wild, but don't bother people. One of them even has a gimpy leg.

The geese like to get into high areas and just sit there for some reason. I heard one honking in a parking lot and looked for it and found it on top of a light pole. It was just standing there and honking ._.

I was watching this girl walking around and talking on her phone...watching because she was headed toward this building that had a goose standing right in front of the doors. She didn't notice it at all until she was 5 feet from it and it decided to honk at her. She just yelled on her phone about a "giant duck" and ran off.

So Imma senior in high school. Yeah. My family is pretty financially stable, so that whole ordeal is not too big a deal. I am 15th out of 495 at my school, and my GPA is 4.8 weighted, 3.9 unweighted. I am taking 6 APs right now, and took 4 last year. I am starting to look into colleges, of course. =P I would like to major in either music(preference) or biology. My SAT scores are not very good - not quite a 1900, but I shall be trying to improve that as of November and I'm getting tutored so hopefully that'll help ... but do you guys have suggestions as to where I might apply?

I am thinking maybe:

University of Washington in Seattle

Wake Forest University

or some sort of IVY League school if I can pull up my SAT scores tremendously. And if said IVY League school has a decent music program.

Are you in the Washington area (just getting that idea)? Definitely stay in-state for as long as you can to keep your tuition down.

Just start applying anywhere you can. You are not obligated to go to any school you apply for.

I can think of three other schools I applied for (and was accepted to them) and in the end I stayed in the same town because of cost. (it's cheaper here). I've had some really amazing professors and smaller class sizes. So honestly I think I'm getting an education as good as some of the big name colleges.

We also have deer and other woodland critters on campus (in addition to the geese) but they don't go near any of the buildings. They keep in the woods and the field.

I watched a hawk circling today from the 3rd floor chem lab. It's really fun to be on the same level as a lot of the (flying) birds.

Congrats Mando. Glad you passed!

I made 35% alcohol today (well, distilled it at least). Pretty exciting times in higher level lab.

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

The prof did the "paramagnetic versus diamagnetic with gases" thing today, poured a whole mess of liquid nitrogen over a magnet and a lot of liquid oxygen too. Stuff must be cheap, if they can do those sorts of things.

Didn't see the baby squirrels today, but I did see a few bugs - a mantid, two wheel bugs mating, a katydid, what I believe was a syrphid larva. And I think aphid season's coming around, there's more in the air now... bleh.

Wait, I actually distilled 41% by volume alcohol. Was going off my refractive index number.

So that's like, 80 proof alcohol. Or rum. Which that was what we were aiming for.

*Feels accomplished*

I think the teacher did a demo for us (the semester we did that) of the liquid nitrogen magnetics...

I saw a mass of bees on the clover around school today. Appropriate since I had to pollinate my plants today. (OCC that if you want)

Edited by Lady_Nightfox