Lila

School/University/College

Okay, so, I'm trying to get my schedule changed (due to a hold on my account because my advisor accidentally removed my math class and a bunch of other stuff).

One of the classes I plan on being dropped is an art studio class that starts at 9 am, is quite a way away from my other classes and dorm, AND the building looks like a building straight out of a horror movie (in the ghetto, no less), AND I don't know where the entrance is, let alone the room. My schedule still hasn't been changed but I seriously do NOT plan on taking that class. Oh, and the class starts tomorrow.

Should I still try and go to the class if my schedule isn't changed by then, or should I just not go to it (and if for whatever reason I can't drop it, explain to the professor later)?

...man, my grammar is terribad. But whatever.

Usually a lot of people go to classes on the first day who proceed to never show up again after that, so I'd say that going wouldn't hurt, especially if you're not sure if you'll be able to drop it. Worst-case scenario, you take one bad class in your college career and live to tell the tale xd.png

I mean, the class sounds like fun, but.. the neighborhood is scary, the building is scary, I can't find the entrance, and there is graffiti everywhere with stuff like "we're all going to die" and "turn back" and crap.

I KNOW, I KNOW, it's just the art students trying to freak people out (the only university buildings around there are for art students and they are allowed to graffiti anything they want), BUT STILL. D: I mean, they don't even have proper sidewalks around the building. It's all gravel. I thought I was gonna get jumped the whole time I was down there, and it was in the middle of the day.

I know it sounds like I'm whining, but I think it's justified. ;w; I mean, the first person I saw down there was this creepy guy in this sleezy suit and slicked back hair, and right after that an unmarked white van passed by. COME ON. IT WAS A HORROR MOVIE WAITING TO HAPPEN. *brick'd*

Luckily I just got a message from my advisor saying that my schedule should be changed by tomorrow morning. Maybe once I get to know the campus better I'll take a studio class, but for now.. nopenopenope.

I think the only creepy thing we have on campus is wild coyotes.

No seriously, we have a small forest on the outskirts campus (and thus one of the few conservation degrees offered in the state) and it's got all kinds of critters like deer, fox, raccoon, and such. But we have a couple of big coyotes out there, but I'd be more afraid of the skunk, raccoon and anything else that carries rabies.

Sadly enough they've been cutting down portions of it to build new things.

It's disappointing to see so much of it go because it's really pretty...

(Especially when there is empty land around other sides of campus - I guess they just don't own that land like they do with the forest)

My campus has some creepy basements and random secret hallways. The secret hallways are only creepy because you take a wrong turn out of a crowded hallway into one of the secret ones and there is NOBODY THERE AT ALL. It feels so weird, like you've stepped into the Twilight Zone or something o__o;

MellaBella, I'm really sorry, but your post made me laugh. Sounds like the art department is having some fun with the fact that they've been banished to the worst part of the campus.

MellaBella, I'm really sorry, but your post made me laugh. Sounds like the art department is having some fun with the fact that they've been banished to the worst part of the campus.

Hey, if I were them, I'd do the same. :P "What? We have to be over here? FINE. WE'LL HAVE OUR OWN FUN. AND YOU'RE NOT INVITED."

Unfortunately, I'm a big baby. If I had a friend to walk with up there, I would totally go. Heck, I might do a class next semester when I get to know the campus better. Who knooowwws?

It really is the worst part of campus. The art building is actually inside an old tobacco warehouse. I mean.. seriously.

Heeeee...yeah, that sounds about right for where universities usually end up putting the art departments. Where I went, at first the art department was in a dinky building that was originally built for the maintenance department, then it moved to another campus that looked like a giant storage facility, whereas the business department got a nice fancy, photogenic building with, y'know, windows.

I think the only creepy thing we have on campus is wild coyotes.

No seriously, we have a small forest on the outskirts campus (and thus one of the few conservation degrees offered in the state) and it's got all kinds of critters like deer, fox, raccoon, and such. But we have a couple of big coyotes out there, but I'd be more afraid of the skunk, raccoon and anything else that carries rabies.

Our campus is, quite seriously, famous for it's rabbit population. I suggest therefore we don't set up any exchange programs.

I was generally considered the creepiest thing on campus however.

Edited by Kestra15

Kestra15, are you at UVic? tongue.gif I was staying there on tour with my marching band a couple of summers ago and the bunnies were everywhere. I think we named most of the ones we saw, including a dead one under a tree.

Kestra15, are you at UVic? tongue.gif I was staying there on tour with my marching band a couple of summers ago and the bunnies were everywhere. I think we named most of the ones we saw, including a dead one under a tree.

Nope, I'm in the UK :~P

I do plan on going to college but my parents are also making me go but I already know what I want to be when I get to college so thank godness I am going soon! YAY!

The art building for my campus was the bunkers. My college used to be a military academy and was something else even before then. I'm not sure but I think it was the first university in the state and was there before the state actually was a state.

They also still have the old training grounds in the nature reserve which is maintained and kept in good condition. It looks dangerous too...not something I'd want anything to do with. Bad thing was is that if someone was badly injured, there was no where to take the person since there really was nothing else around. So of course, like all colleges there are rumors and stories going around....but eh. Too bad they lock up well after dark.

The art building has since been renovated so it's rather nice looking. We've only had a sports team for about 6 years, so things have not gotten shoved away yet. Bad thing is is that there are people in the art building...quiet newbies. I am assuming they're not art majors.

As for what you can do with an art major, there are tons: Graphic design is one, which has it's own branches, packaging design, fashion design, interior design, art teacher, freelance artist, pretty much anything dealing with movies anymore, etc. You'd have to be more specific if you want to go into something such as a special effects artist. You really have to have time to apply yourself and work towards it though. I've seen people succeed and get into a good position, but that wouldn't happen if they didn't apply themselves.

The Chem building at my college is the worst. It feels like you're in an old science buildings from the days where horrible experiments happened... it reminds me of a dungeon, and all of the lights hang by their wires and just rock back and forth slightly, and water drips from the ceiling...

I hate being there every time I have to go...

Anyways, managed to only get two hours of sleep last night (I was just laying in bed, close to sleep, but never got there until 7 am). I had to wake up at 8 for a bit, which netted me my Botany class that I've been stalking for 2 weeks. Yessss.

Anyways, I have my second class in half an hour (Botany) and I'm currently at the computer lab reading my e-mails and looking at my class sites for info.

Also, I just got out of Microbio and ohmygodIlovetheprof. She's adorkable, and that automatically makes her awesome.

And it's currently over 100 degrees and I forgot to bring a spare shirt. Sadness. And my ankle is slightly bothering me from the stairs... have to make it through 3 more classes though...

I will persevere~

-K-

I'm currently in college and I must say I'm so effing lucky that I got the GI Bill to pay for it. Holy cow its expensive and so far I've managed to avoid getting a loan. I think that what makes it suck the most is the cost of books. I've already spent close to $400 just getting all that I need in order before this new semester starts.

Aside from all the payments I have to make and funds I need to worry about, I'm excited and glad to be able to go period. I've made so many friends and got to experience a lot of things I couldn't really experience back home.

Thankfully the buildings in my school are all getting a face lift both inside and out. Part of this epic plan they have called UB 2020. In fact I just checked out the updated printing center and love how nice it is in there now. Its less depressing than before and its brighter thanks to the additional color on the walls. I'm kinda psyched to see what other changes had been made over the summer...

All our buildings were built in the 60s, a few are older than that, probably from the '40s.

Luckily the buildings were actually built for a college (since the college was at another location) and we don't have any weirdly built buildings.

However, being built in the '60s means a lot of them aren't up to any kind of safety code (I'm not sure how anyone in a wheelchair can get around. Most of our elevators are so small it's a wonder anyone can use them).

In the arts building (notice a trend with poorly designed art buildings?) the graphics lab is right above the ceramics lab. This means anytime the kiln is going in the ceramics lab, the graphics lab becomes an unbearable 100 F + and the floor tiles get soft.

Luckily, our science building just got a brand new addition with state of the art labs, and the old building got renovated for nice lecture halls.

Before this, well, I'm not sure there was any kind of safety system.

I took a lab in the old building before renovations and it was like "Ok, the safety shower is through the hall, through a classroom, through another hall, through a closet and it's off past the specimen freezer and to the right. And there's no drain."

One of the professors mentioned he ended up just picking a girl up and putting her in the sink to get something she spilled on her leg off rather than bothering with the safety showers.

(They were big sinks).

But now we have nice safety showers in every single lab. And we have a lot more labs. Also our building has an eatery place so I never have to leave the science building ever.

Some of our buildings were built back in the 1800s.. a bunch of the buildings still don't even have AC. :c Luckily my dorm got ACs this year, along with a huge renovation. I mean, the building is now home to the techies of the university, so it might as well look the part. xP

Anyways, I just had my Spanish and remedial math classes. My Spanish class is gonna be hard, because we're supposed to speak in Spanish pretty much the whole time. D: And my professor has a really thick accent as is so it's difficult to understand what he's saying in both English AND Spanish.

My next class in.. two hours, is my art history class. c: Which I'm really excited about.

My next class in.. two hours, is my art history class. c: Which I'm really excited about.

Art History is a good class. I love history in general, but the way society shaped art through the past 4K+ years is amazing...

Though... I didn't much care for the section covering modern art...

Anyways, had Botany, I'm loving the course material, but I'm leery about the prof. I had him before for Genetics, and he cancelled 14 classes, making us depend on ourselves for the info, and we ended up covering less than 2/3rds of the material we needed... but good thing it was all remedial. Technically, the reason he cancelled classes was because he was sick, but the thing that irritated us was the fact that he cancelled our class, but still spent 8 hours doing research, so he wasn't resting and getting better quicker, which meant the illness prolonged itself (and it was contagious, and he was working with student lab assistants).

I just hope he doesn't get sick this semester...

Had lunch at Taco bell... because I have $10 in my account... 4 of which is going to 2 1-liter bottles of water. I hate the heat.

Anyways, in the library now... growing tired from my lack of sleep... I'll need to pick up a soda on the way to class. It starts at 3:30 (just 40-ish minutes from now) and it's History.

I'm hoping it's a good class, I always hear horror stories about History and the giant load of crap essays you have to do, so I'm hoping it's better than I've heard (It is a Freshman level class, so it should be easy).

Then right after, I have Evolution, my first Junior level class so far.

-K-

Goshdarnit teacher. If you didn't want the assignment emailed to you, why did you say to do that in your syllabus? sad.gif

Goshdarnit teacher. If you didn't want the assignment emailed to you, why did you say to do that in your syllabus? sad.gif

That's on them then. Ask them to update their syllabus. If they cause a big stink about it (like giving you a 0 for not doing as you were asked or something) take it up with the department. The syllabus is basically their classroom rules, and if they're not enforcing it or are punishing you for following the syllabus, that's something that needs to be brought up to the department.

Anyways, discovered that Evolution is a SENIOR level class (why did I not see the 4 in front?), so I'm a bit nervous... But I'm confident that I'll do well in the class.

-K-

Oooh, good luck, Kamak!

Last year I took a 400/500 level (depending on department) level class and it was the easiest A I've gotten so far. Was really surprised by that. x3

I'm with Kamak on that. If it's in the syllabus, they pretty much have to accept it. If the professor isn't keeping the syllabus up to date, it's their fault, not yours.

Found out today one of my classes got dropped (and they are starting in only a few days) so I had to rush up there to sign up for another course quickly.

Turns out I'll be studying something significantly different than what I had been thinking for the past month,

Not sure if bad thing or good.

*peers suspiciously at huge pile of complex sounding books*

dry.gif

In the arts building (notice a trend with poorly designed art buildings?) the graphics lab is right above the ceramics lab. This means anytime the kiln is going in the ceramics lab, the graphics lab becomes an unbearable 100 F + and the floor tiles get soft.

... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

As a third-generation Art alumnus myself, I have heard several stories from my mom about junk like this. I do sympathize. And hang on... doesn't the kiln destroy the computers in the graphics lab?

At my school the ceramics were in the basement, and the big kilns were outside under a sort of overhang. When the ceramics kids were doing Raku you could see the plumes of smoke all the way across campus. It smelled nice too. smile.gif

When the ceramics kids were doing Raku you could see the plumes of smoke all the way across campus. It smelled nice too. smile.gif

Mmmmm...raku. Love the smell of raku.

Probably the most dangerous thing about my art department was the fact that the foundery wasn't set in the ground and there was no overhead winch to lift the crucible out.