Lila

School/University/College

I love that feeling of relief when I get a perfect score on a vocab quiz I barely studied for...

I've started to consider colleges now... I really don't know what to do. There's a very VERY small college I'm considering in Virginia because it seems like a good school education wise, they have a good mock trial team which I love, and their degree program is perfect for what I want to do. They have a government major with a track in strategic intelligence, which would be basically ideal for what I want to do. The problem is, it's a small private college that wants to stay totally privately funded, so they don't accept any government scholarships or grants, just private scholarships. So it's a little bit trickier in the financial aid area. Plus, I've been told I could get really good scholarships at other colleges with my ACT score... so I'm a little conflicted. On the one hand, I could go study at a small college that has a great degree that I would love to study for, a challenging academic program, etc, or I could find another, more local college that wouldn't have exactly what I'm looking for but would be easier academic wise and financial aid wise. *sigh* life is so complicated. At least I have another year of school to think about it xd.png

You could always transfer later, as long as credits you earn are transferable.

You get the degree from the place you graduate from. So if you start out at a cheap school, but finish at a ladeda school, you get your actual degree from the ladeda school.

Your first year or so will be mostly general education type classes, so there is no harm in doing that year at a cheaper college.

And nothing prevents you from getting your bachelor's at a small name college and then if you want to go further to get a further degree from a bigger name college.

We had to mass murder our flies today.

After counting them and deciding what phenotypes they exhibited.

I had 113 flies from 6 fly parents. That's the adult flies. I still had about another 100 larvae and pupa in my jar.

Apparently Red eyes and Wings are dominant but they're not in relationship to each other.

Sepia eyes and No Wings are recessive traits.

My flies did like a perfect 9:3:3:1 ratio looking at both of those traits.

My hands still reek of FlyNap (the anesthetic) though. It's intoxicating. In a bad way.

I hate memorizing stuff too.

I'm one of the students with the highest grades in my classes (except Algebra, quite obviously) but when you ask me to memorize something my brain says "Oy, NO!" and then proceeds to space out.

I did find that if I do a bunch of application (or practice) that that helps me remember best, but I can't just sit down and straight out memorize something.

Although... I did last night. You guys would be surprised at some of the stories I used to compare the ratios I had to memorize to. xd.png

A couple of my friends had to mass-murder fruit flies today too, although apparently some of them got away and are now roaming the bio-sci building aimlessly. One of my friends had an albino fly in her population and it really made me wish i was there to poke around under the microscope and see all of them. -genetics nerd-

The best class I have right now is still Latin, although critical theory is really fun too. Maybe I'm a masochist or something but I really, really enjoy reading theoretical essays. Specifically psychoanalytic criticism ones.

D8 WAH. Big Animal Behavior test tomorrow. I'm a little intimidated, because our class time is a little...scattered, it seems. Everything he writes on the chalkboard (except for the neuron stuffs) all seemed more like common sense and common knowledge than anything else, but I had a weird feeling like I missed something and I'm totally going to bomb this test Dx

/furiously going through notes, text book, and videos

I'm doing quite well I think. I just got back essays in two of my classes, a big math exam (15% of grade) and did my first graded speech for my public speaking exam and I got As on all.

No, but I took AP Psych last year.

Nicee, I'm going to take that next semester too. Shouldn't be too hard because yesterday I had a test in regular psych, and I had no clue there was gonna be one, but I still pulled off a 95%. tongue.gif

But, are you trying to go into a psych careerpath too?

I'm in Uni right now. I'm a biology major and right now I'm taking organic chemistry and genetics, along with some other classes not related to my major.

Organic chemistry. It is as awful as you would think. I'm doing pretty well in it, all things considered. I got an A on my first test (woot!), a hundred on the quiz I took Wednesday, and I've currently got a B+ in the course (not bad, not bad).

A couple of my friends had to mass-murder fruit flies today too, although apparently some of them got away and are now roaming the bio-sci building aimlessly. One of my friends had an albino fly in her population and it really made me wish i was there to poke around under the microscope and see all of them. -genetics nerd-

We're messing around with fruit flies in genetics, too! I think they're a lot of fun. I like sorting them out by eye color/gender under the dissecting scope. My lab partner doesn't get to do any of it really, I enjoy it so much (though she does get to prepare the gels for our electrophoresis labs, so she does her fair share of work, too).

Anyone here taking a psychology class?

I am! It counts towards my core humanities credits and my education minor smile.gif

I'm in my first year of college(Bio major). Right now my favorite class is Biology 122(an intro course, 'natch), my least favorite is English(I hate essays), and my hardest is probably Chem 111. I have to take Chem 112 and calculus next semester, which is going to be...interesting.

I am! It counts towards my core humanities credits and my education minor smile.gif

I'm in my first year of college(Bio major). Right now my favorite class is Biology 122(an intro course, 'natch), my least favorite is English(I hate essays), and my hardest is probably Chem 111. I have to take Chem 112 and calculus next semester, which is going to be...interesting.

CHM 112 is a lot more math than CHM 111 (if your sequences are the same as ours; ours is the same numbering for the majors chemistry classes, so I wonder if that's the case). I guess the deciding factor there is going to be whether or not you're good at math.

I took CHM 111, an introductory English, and calculus together, and I didn't think it was too bad. I took an intro to psych, too, and man, that class was a joke, it was so easy. xd.png

Wait until organic. tongue.gif You'll probably be busy all the time. sad.gif It's the toughest course that I've had so far in the biology major (and I've taken up through some 300 level bio courses). But if you can get through that, it'll be easy from there on out.

I'm so ready to be done with chemistry. I've just got to hold out until the end of spring semester, then I never have to take another chemistry again. biggrin.gif

I'm taking Organic Chem. I'm finding that it's not as hard as Gen Chem II, but the teacher assigns a ton of work.

I wouldn't say it's hard, but it's easy to get material confused.

I had another seizure yesterday in that particular class. Ended up missing a review for the quiz monday. And I missed an entire Calculus lecture, which can be fatal (or at least because we have a test coming up next week and I'm sure I just missed something important).

I think I let one or two of my flies get away, but I killed them pretty fast. I managed to kill a couple of jewel wasp escapees too. (Which we had to redo that experiment because none of them lived).

I think one or two people had the "albino" flies. My bunch only had eye color and wing differences. (The ones with no wings were kind of sad).

Also, totally thrilled that I correctly pollinated my plants (Feel free to OCC that). They're growing bean pods now.

Am feeling this very badly right now.

Or, it's also bad when you are like I CAN WRITE THE BEST PAPER EVER.

And you write this AMAZING piece of art.

But, you wrote it half asleep at night, so when you wake up the next morning to type it up on the computer you realize it's the worst thing you've ever seen.

Or just, rambles about the structure of cyclohexane for two pages.

Or, it's also bad when you are like I CAN WRITE THE BEST PAPER EVER.

And you write this AMAZING piece of art.

But, you wrote it half asleep at night, so when you wake up the next morning to type it up on the computer you realize it's the worst thing you've ever seen.

Or just, rambles about the structure of cyclohexane for two pages.

Oddly, my BS-papers tend to actually be pretty good.

Oddly, my BS-papers tend to actually be pretty good.

Can't say I've ever written a BS paper intentionally, although I think I've done it on accident at least twice now.

Ironically mine were pretty good too.

:\

Can't say I've ever written a BS paper intentionally, although I think I've done it on accident at least twice now.

Ironically mine were pretty good too.

:\

Reminds me of this, except with sleep deprivation.

user posted image

Buhhhh I hate the midterm weeks. So many things to do.

So naturally I goof off on DC. What do you think I am, a responsible adult?

It's my first year in college this year and it is so much better than high school!! xd.png

...of course my english 1A class is nothing but essays and more essays and more essays, no tests, worksheets, or terms, just essays. -bleah-

Hahaha yes. In my junior and senior years of high school I was constantly stressed and sleep deprived, studied for hours when I had a test, and had so much homework. And here. . .I hardly have any work and tests are so freaking easy.

For example in my AP bio class, we had to learn photosynthesis and cellular respiration - every stage, reaction, intermediate, and final products. In my bio class here (for science majors) we have maybe four bullets from each part to learn, and only the overall reactions plus one more from photosynthesis. Plus my high school bio tests were primarily essay based and my bio tests here are multiple choice.

And this is supposed to be a pretty good college. :/

Hahaha yes. In my junior and senior years of high school I was constantly stressed and sleep deprived, studied for hours when I had a test, and had so much homework. And here. . .I hardly have any work and tests are so freaking easy.

For example in my AP bio class, we had to learn photosynthesis and cellular respiration - every stage, reaction, intermediate, and final products. In my bio class here (for science majors) we have maybe four bullets from each part to learn, and only the overall reactions plus one more from photosynthesis. Plus my high school bio tests were primarily essay based and my bio tests here are multiple choice.

And this is supposed to be a pretty good college. :/

What year are you in college?

I felt that way my freshman year and most of my sophomore year, but now hitting junior level classes things suddenly picked up. Like dang. Music theory is suddenly killing me.