Lila

School/University/College

... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

As a third-generation Art alumnus myself, I have heard several stories from my mom about junk like this. I do sympathize. And hang on... doesn't the kiln destroy the computers in the graphics lab?

At my school the ceramics were in the basement, and the big kilns were outside under a sort of overhang. When the ceramics kids were doing Raku you could see the plumes of smoke all the way across campus. It smelled nice too. smile.gif

Probably is! The kilns are all vented outside, and they themselves aren't quite directly under the lab. But it definitely gets hot and I can't imagine it's good for the computers.

I love Raku firing. They always do it during fall so the whole campus smells really wonderful and fall-y.

Apparently they used to just build the kilns for each firing back in the day. They had to stop because people kept calling the fire department when they saw columns of fire going out the chimney.

My main concerne for college is how on earth I'm going to manage living on my own wacko.gif I'm a terrible cook, and then there's money, cleaning and all that jazz.

Won't be attending college do to financial reasons... I don't qualify for most scholarships since I never was involved much in high school and I didn't graduate with an outstanding GPA (it was below average at best). I also never took the ACT/SAT since I was absolutely scared stone death to when it was offered. I'm also not very smart so college would be too hard for me to deal with. I barely dealt with high school and it ate me alive. College will eat me alive and spit me out! I'm not sure what I'd be good at anyway if I ever did get to go.

My main concerne for college is how on earth I'm going to manage living on my own wacko.gif I'm a terrible cook, and then there's money, cleaning and all that jazz.

You learn quickly. For one, start getting your family to show you how to cook, and start making dinners for them - simple ones. It's not hard to learn when pasta or rice is ready to eat, when meat is done, or when vegetables are cooked to how you like them. After that, you experiment with mixing them together.

As for bills, start budgeting. Start making sure you know how much goes in and out, and how much you can then spend on things you don't need.

For cooking, find out what you want to eat and then look up simple recipes online. If you know what you want it to taste like, it's easy to figure out with some trial and error.

Don't try to do the cleaning all at once, you'll wear yourself out. I used to go on 3 hour cleaning sprees until I realized I could accomplish just as much cleaning as I go around the house.

If you're cooking, sweep the floor while you're waiting. If you're putting on makeup or fixing your hair, put the toilet bowl cleaner in the toilet and wipe some bleach around the bathtub (it needs to sit for 10 minutes to kill the mold before being rinsed off) while you're there.

Just little things, and you'll find that it doesn't drain you AND you get it done.

Finances are relatively simple. I work on a irregular budget (meaning I don't have a set income per month).

However, just make a list of expenses and revenue, put the most important expenses at the top. Pay those expenses first, working your way down.

Don't spend money until you know you have extra, or better yet, give yourself an allowance in your budget.

Look up sample budgets online. They're really quite fascinating and fun.

:3

Edited by Pink

I start my first year of college at the end of September. I'm a bit apprehensive because I couldn't sign up for all the classes I wanted--they filled up fast. On the bright side, I still have three classes for 13 credits, all which count towards an AA degree. And one of the classes is a 6-hour oil painting class on Saturdays. I'm hoping it will be fun.

I love Raku firing. They always do it during fall so the whole campus smells really wonderful and fall-y.

Apparently they used to just build the kilns for each firing back in the day. They had to stop because people kept calling the fire department when they saw columns of fire going out the chimney.

My high school art teacher built his own Raku kiln for us to use. Apparently he used to cook hotdogs over one when he was younger xd.png

I love the spontaneity of Raku firing. c:

So, one of the books that we're supposed to have for English was "A Thousand Splendid Suns". Actually, that was the only book listed under our required textbooks, so I'm a little suspicious. Anyways, I read it all yesterday. I love that author D:

I've also have a book called "In the Shadow of Man" by Jane Goodall for my Animal Behavior's class. I'm a little frightened of that class, now that I think of it. I feel like I'm going to be overwhelmed by my fellow students and my professor, since I feel I don't know as much about animals as I probably should going into this class.

v _v Well, classes start next monday. Math and English...

Google is your best friend.

Animal behavior is actually extremely interesting to research. I'm jealous.

I'm taking the business route (it's honestly what I'm most interested in) so I'm sadly not going to have much time to take any animal courses.

However, I will get to take a very, very sexy course on accounting and bookkeeping. <3

I love Jane Goodall. I did a big report on her in 4th grade.

I start classes Monday. I have an organic chem lab that day. Not sure if we are actually doing anything. Because even though this is a sophomore/junior-level class, I'm sure no one will remember to bring their safety goggles.

I really enjoy going to club meetings. I've never really been that into clubs, but in a college setting it feels very different. Sure, it's eating up my time, but otherwise I'll just waste that time here, on the internets.

Lady, I forgot my chem goggles Friday, but after I biked home to get them I realized I didn't have a lab yet - they start next week. /derp

Still, you are probably in a freshman level chem class right?

This is a class were people had to have taken and passed two previous chemistry classes (and labs). People should know better.

(Key word being should)

We are lucky in that our new labs have little lockers built into the tables. I keep my lab goggles there all semester. We can keep chemicals we are working with in them too since it's in the lab and it's under locks.

I like clubs too. It's a good way to meet people in your same area. I'm in a biochemistry club (which I finally figured out that's how I've been getting these biochemistry magazines in the mail) and a pre-professional club.

I've learned a lot on what classes I should be taking, what activities I should be doing, ect.

Also it looks really good if a professor sees you participating in things outside of class. Clubs or seminars or whatever. If you ever need any kind of recommendation letter, or if you are swinging on an in-between grade, any kind of above-and-beyond effort can help drastically.

Yes, I am a FROSHMON. Haha, yeah, but it's hard to combat forgetfulness.

Lockers, nice. Right now, with all the books I'm having to carry around... I miss high school lockers.

I've mostly joined "green" clubs - too many to count/list - as well as a rock climbing club, paintball club, insomniac skaters (I'll probably drop that one, already missed the first meeting because the next day would have my morning class)... and I accidentally joined a primarily Crop Sci club, but it seemed interesting so I'm going to stick with it, at least for a few more meetings.

I'm mostly in clubs to meet people/do things outside my main field, though. So it prolly won't help with the whole professor thing.

My chem labs had lockers built into the lab benches too, and it was so useful because you never had to go searching for equipment, it was all right there.

Have any of you ever used magnetic stir bars in labs? THEY ARE SO FUN.

My main concerne for college is how on earth I'm going to manage living on my own wacko.gif  I'm a terrible cook, and then there's money, cleaning and all that jazz.

You learn quickly what does and doesn't work for you. Know how to operate a clothes washing machine and an ATM and you'll do fine.

I'm a senior triple majoring in Pre-Veterinary, Biology (Life Science emphasis), and Animal Science, plus a minor in Chemistry. It sounds like a lot until you realize that the chem minor comes built in to the pre-vet, and with a Pre-Vet and Biology double major I needed only two extra classes to get an Animal Science degree. I would have been applying to vet schools this year, but my last semester went terribly-- had some major emotional issues going on and my GPA fell to 3.54-- unacceptable by vet school standards. So I'll be applying next year instead. I'm not sure yet whether I'll be graduating this spring and staying an extra year as a post-grad, or if I'll continue as a 5th-year senior-- depends a lot on how close I am to finishing my degrees and whether or not I can get legal emancipation from my parents some way other than graduating.

I work in the tutoring center and have an application in to TA for bio labs (haven't heard back from that yet), and in my "free time" I do cancer research in our undergrad labs. I'm interning in a mixed practice vet clinic on Thursdays and looking into another clinic to observe on Saturdays.

Edited by TPishek

Gah, I have finals for summer quarter coming up in a a little more than a week. xS

I'm currently majoring in the graphic design program at my community college. And most of the classes are centered around marketing and working with art programs (mainly the adobe suite package). I'm hoping to graduate by Summer 2012 because my school is suppose to be switching from quarters to semesters and it's going to make the credits all wonky when they transfer over.

After that, I want to go to a local 4 year art college for illustration and/or animation. My aim is to get into the publishing business eventually.

Some of you get lockers? D:

Lucky, lucky people. *grumbles about heavy math and chemistry books*

Not gunna say how long I've been in college as I don't really want to give away my age too much, but I have a bad feeling that this semester is gunna be a tough one...

What courses are you guys taking this year, out of curiosity?

Also I rented a small locker for this year, and by small I mean its dimensions are 2 feet by 1 foot xd.png I don't think it even fits my school bag. But it'll do for storing some of my books, at least.

I should be specific in it's not really a locker. It's a drawer.

You can only fit a pair of safety goggles and a test tube rack in there. Definitely not a textbook.

Each drawer has a corresponding locker in the hallway but those lockers are only allowed to be used during lab to keep stuff off the floor like coats and bags. We have to take the locks from our drawer and use it for those. And when we are done we put the locks back on our drawers so people in other labs can use the hall lockers.

I still have to carry books around (though I primarily don't because very rarely have I actually used a textbook during class)

I'm taking Organic Chemistry, Genetics, and Calculus this semester. Organic chemistry has two 3-hour labs a week, and Genetics has one 3-hour lab a week.

Chemistry, Calc 1, Intro to Biology, Greek/Roman Mythology, Leadership in Society. Chem has one 2-hr lab a week.

Wah, college for me starts tomorrow. @_@ I'm more than a little freaked. None of my friends are going to my college and I do terrible in new environments when I don't know anyone. GAAAH. I don't know if I'm even prepared for college level classes. My one AP class (English) I took was easier than our Junior year English honors class D:

Me too Shiny.

I'm pretty confident that I'll be fine though. In fact, I think it'll be easier than I think it will.

Also, if the professors have classes that are anywhere near as interesting as the books... I'm going to have a great year. :3

I'm going to be a little freaked my the lack of people I know there too, so I feel for you there.

Edited by Pink

I've been college better academically than high school. I used to hate doing homework, but all of the sudden I find I don't mind so much, and the classes are much shorter and easier to pay attention to.

Anatomy and Physiology

Microbiology II + lab

American Sign Language

Interpersonal Communication (barf)

Introduction to Small Animal Medicine

Dairy Production and Management

Veterinary Internship

19 credit hours

Accounting (<3)

Remedial Algebra (I always did terribly with teaching myself algebra. I'm hoping this course will be good for me and I'll actually learn it.)

Philosophy (:\)

Composition (<3)

I was going to take ASL, but it didn't work out.

I'm starting out slow because it's my first semester.

I don't want to overstress myself just yet.

I think I have... 13 credit hours?

Edited by Pink