Lila

School/University/College

We'll have to wait, hope, and see.

Aaah, fruit flies, yeah... what kind of media are you using? Blue or brown? Using ether or CO2?

Also, did I mention the explosions in chemistry?

I think it's potato starch. We just put some in the bottom of a bottle, put some mold resistant water in it, and a little plastic gauze thing to keep them from dying all over.

Used an ether product to put them out (professor tells us when they used pure ether he had some students pass out themselves)

We don't know what strands they are. We get to figure it out ourselves.

(We got them from different stocks, so the ones we have are pure-bred but a mystery to us)

o_o Sounds hard. Do you have a list of possible stocks or something? I mean, aren't there like a gajillion different strains/stocks/etc.?

Yes, there are five different things it could be.

Also, curse of the bad lab partners. The lab partner I got stuck with is a 'scope hog.

Oh good, that narrows it down a bit.

It's weird to get emails from professors that are in text-speak.

Also, I should bed. Lab tomorrow. But stay uppp, catch up on notessss. Auuugh.

I'm REALLY hating my evolution prof (I've mentioned this before). He won't stop taking potshots at religion and acting "holier than thou" because he's an atheist. I normally wouldn't care, I've met censorkip.gif*** atheists, theists, and (somehow) agnostics before, but the fact that he inserts his ideology into the lectures is making my skin crawl. This is basically what happened Wednesday:

I get to class late because I talked to my history prof and he rambled for 40 minutes, the prof is lecturing about arguments against evolution, and I sit in the back of the room.

"Animals are fairly rare on islands not accessible from the mainland. It takes a freak accident for them to make it, and most are reptiles, insects, and birds. And as you can see, there are little to no mammals on islands because it's very hard for mammals to get to islands by freak accident. Most mammals that we do see on islands were introduced by humans and haven't had enough time to specialize. The mammals that are on the islands by freak accident are usually mice. Now if "God" (said with a sarcastic tone of voice) were to populate the planet, wouldn't he just sprinkle animals randomly and we'd see big mammals like lions on islands and mainland?"

Someone raises their hand and asks why when we DO see animals on islands, why do we see an immense number of species yet on the mainland, where there is more space and varied terrain, we see only a couple.

"Well, that's a cute question. You see, the ones that do make it have free reign over the niches and can differentiate. How do we know it happens? Well, I could give you the complicated answer, but frankly, doesn't it just make sense that a small environment results in more evolution? These animals, that, by the grace of god, pun intended (this IS a direct quote), made it to the island against all Oodles and had a paradise to evolve into new species."

The specific lecture notes end and he begins to discuss things he's been e-mailed.

"Someone sent me an article that I found amazing. A site dedicated to evolution posted a story about how people, regardless of how they feel about evolution need to be open to other people's world views. I personally think religion is crap, but I respect anyone else's world view that differs from mine, because I have common courtesy. But, if you get the chance, go look at a creationist website and see if they have the same sentiments for scientists and science. It's really amusing to see what crap gets posted on there as being "real". I'm about to start the next lecture, but if anyone wants to look up those sites right now, go right ahead and leave early."

I get out of there as fast as I can.

I just... how can someone be such a damn hypocrite and then look at themselves and say "You know, unlike THOSE people, I value everyone's personal thoughts and feelings on matters and respect them."

I'm really looking into reporting him, but the bureaucracy is tangled up and I'm going to probably need other people to back me up, so I need to discuss the matter with other students and see if we can get anything to happen. I'm collecting incidents of this happening and hopefully when/if I'm asked to provide evidence it'll be sufficient to have them do SOMETHING. I'm not aiming for the guy to be fired, but frankly, I can't learn in this stifling environment and he needs to fix his attitude.

-K-

Edited by Kamak

Jeez. My animal behavior prof is like, totally opposite of that guy D: He's really meek and gentle and funny. The only religious segment we've gotten so far was in a video we watched last friday, and some old scientist dude read out the passage of Creationsm from the Bible. I think that was it xd.png

Lady, what class are you breeding the flies for?

Genetics (of course!) We're also growing some plants right now as well for a later lab.

Later on we get to sequence our own DNA.

Ah yes, I had one teacher like that and I absolutely loathed him. I don't ask for people to be like "Ok, we'll teach creationism along with evolution" but just be respectful of religion even if you don't cover it or believe in it. Just don't cover it, don't talk about it.

The problem was he was a very intelligent and nice person when he wasn't ranting. So I learned to just completely tune him out during rants.

The level that teacher is at though, I'd certainly have some rage-filled outbursts. I can respect that he has an atheistic view (I respect anyone who gives me respect) but to basically belittle people because of their opposing views, I don't like that.

on the opposite end of the spectrum:

I have to say, I love the genetics teacher. He always talks about male and female as "genetic male and female". I take this as he accepts that people aren't born male and female in personality, which is really cool for someone who's probably 50s - 60s to acknowledge in that little way.

edit: I ended up getting a 71 on that calculus test. Which is good considering I expected to completely fail it. I did get points for attempting to work on problems and at least label them all right.

He wrote "Who's your friend?" next to my mudkip laugh.gif

Edited by Lady_Nightfox

Oright, other generation. Does he know what pokemon are?

Blaaah lab reports >__> Do not want.

Probably not.

He claims he has 8 kids, so maybe he just can't keep up with what kind of things are around.

My dad was watching my brother play Battle Revolution and didn't know about any of the Ruby/Sapphire pokemon so... it's possible.

I have to do lab reports for every chem lab. We do formal reports for a few of them (haven't gotten to one yet, but I had to do a formal report for a biology lab last year).

They're a real pain.

Everyone on my floor parties and gets drunk/smokes weed/both.

God help me.

Ouch. I had that in my coop (cooperative housing) last year... my roommate smoked pot it in the room when I wasn't there, and even once while I was in bed when she thought I was asleep, despite how often I asked her to keep it outside. She ended up getting evicted for not being able to pay her rent, and I moved into a different coop. It's still full of drunks, but a much quieter one. I'm still the goody-two-shoes of the building, though. xd.png

In any case, if you get really uncomfortable or worried that people on your floor could get you in trouble, talk to your RA about switching to a different floor. Plus, you could always try and figure out housing for next year early, especially if you know people who would make great apartment roommates. You're supposed to have enough fun in college to make drugs pointless, I think. :3

As for the discussion about science classes... it makes me very, very happy that my majors (humanities and creative writing) didn't require too many. I finished with math and science sophomore year. Sadly, this year I'll be delving into the wonderful world of grad school applications. I already took the GRE and got a range of 1430 to 1590 (the revised one doesn't give an exact score right away), though, so at least I don't have to worry about that...

Also, Kamak? That prof sounds like proof against evolution. I'm an agnostic Jew myself (as for the 'somehow', it involves being raised by a highly unobservant catholic father and jewish mother, as well being surrounded by a highly eclectic collection of relatives), but people like that seriously tick me off. You can always complain to the higher-ups if he really crosses the line, or rate him badly if you guys have to do the same sort of surveys we do at the end of the semester, but you shouldn't have to. dry.gif

Lady_Nightfox, good job with the test, and I think that mudkip inclusion should merit you a hundred points of extra credit. If my opinion is actually worth anything in that aspect... xd.png

Edited by Kitsuru

Aw, sorry to hear that. Maybe you'll get points for the mudkip?

Something like that happened to me in high school government. We had an essay question, but I just drew a unicorn and some bananas, and got an extra 10 points for it biggrin.gif

But anyways, The schools by me don't have the major I want. I want a major in theatre, with a minor in education to be a drama teacher in high school, but if I went to school in my area, I'd have to get it backwards with a major in education. I plan to go to college in Arizona since they have some good thatre schools, but No money is keeping me back right now. If I can't get enough by the start of next year to move, then I'm just going to have to suck it up.

What is a good college for Animal Science/Zoology?

That really depends--what do you aim to do with it? Do you want to go out-of-state or stay wherever you live? Big school or smaller?

I know that my own school, Michigan State University, has a fantastic zoology program. The veterinary science program is also one of the best in the country, and is rooted in MSU's founding as an agricultural college. I have a friend who's in the vet program for undergrad, and she's applying for the post-grad program here as well. It's a great school, and all bias aside I really can't recommend it enough. And if you were hoping to study abroad, we also have one of (if not) the best study abroad programs.

Here are some other lists, though:

Best Colleges for Zoology.

A thread on top zoology programs.

Largest Zoology Programs (Gives you an idea on which ones are most likely to retain funding, since animal science programs have that same unfortunate tendency as the arts and humanities do of being the first on the list to cut back on).

Really, though, it's all going to depend on you. You're going to have to research your options, visit whichever ones you can, and apply, apply, apply. Good luck!

But anyways, The schools by me don't have the major I want. I want a major in theatre, with a minor in education to be a drama teacher in high school, but if I went to school in my area, I'd have to get it backwards with a major in education. I plan to go to college in Arizona since they have some good thatre schools, but No money is keeping me back right now. If I can't get enough by the start of next year to move, then I'm just going to have to suck it up.

Did you look into scholarships? Or maybe financial aid? Student loans can be a pain, but there are a lot of options. Ask your advisors and theatre teachers at school; the former are paid to know this sort of thing, and the latter went through it themselves. You can also try and find a job to help save up money beforehand, although in senior year you're already going to have a lot to juggle. Good luck, and I'm sure everything will work out amazingly!

Edited by Kitsuru

Something like that happened to me in high school government. We had an essay question, but I just drew a unicorn and some bananas, and got an extra 10 points for it biggrin.gif

Nice!

I'm pretty sure 1 of my 71 points was from the mudkip. I'm going to have to continue that on next tests.

I've got a genetics test tomorrow, but it's going to be super easy. Just stuff on basic genetics. The only thing I really think I need to study is some of the history (important people) as a just in case it's on the test (since he did cover some of it in lecture).

Did I ever mention that particular professor looks like Mr. Rogers? Except with '70s hair and glasses. He wears cardigans and everything.

Crap. I'm great at this college thing. I accidentally missed a mandatory meeting on the 16th.

Great. Why was that class meeting on friday anyways? We're not supposed to meet on fridays.

EDIT: At this point, I actually think I've screwed up so many times I hardly even care anymore. *grumbles*

Edited by Walker

*Pats Walker on the head*

I wish ctrl+z worked on all computer things ;_; misclicked on an online quiz, I totally would've gotten the question but argh.

And I'm wondering whether I did something wrong or if I did something very right. That last lab went unexpectedly well it seems (for the experiment at least. I dropped a beaker >_>) It almost seems too accurate.

I'm trying to cram my brain full of Latin vocabulary and I really hope I can manage to do it all by Friday when I have a test on it @_@

And hooray for readings which I have yet to finish. Thank goodness for being a speed-reader...

Barely passed my AP American Gov't/politics test with 3/5. 3 and up is recommended for college credit, therefore getting out of a little bit of classes. Turns out the college I'm going to only accepts 4s and 5s. Doh. Oh well...

Crap. I'm great at this college thing. I accidentally missed a mandatory meeting on the 16th.

Great. Why was that class meeting on friday anyways? We're not supposed to meet on fridays.

EDIT: At this point, I actually think I've screwed up so many times I hardly even care anymore. *grumbles*

Use scheduling software (I just got Mozilla Sunbird) and set alerts for very important dates. I use it for all the due dates on my homework.

Suck it up and try not to screw it up further?

I mean, I screw up, but I just take it to mean that I should work faster next time.

Most of my problems come from procrastination and lack of sleep.

I'm going to start trying to get to sleep at 10pm regardless of whether or not I finished all my homework.

Sleep trumps homework when it comes right down to it.

Homework I can make up, sleep is nearly impossible to make up while doing make up homework.

:3

Edited by Pink

Nice!

I'm pretty sure 1 of my 71 points was from the mudkip. I'm going to have to continue that on next tests.

You definitely (with an I, not an A) should lol tongue.gif

I learned that the Organic Chemistry professor is 6' 4". He in fact towers over everyone. But he only looks like he's in his 20s (he's older than that obviously, I would guess early 30s), so sometimes it's hard to remember I'm talking to a professor.

But on the other hand, it's nice to be able to talk to a professor who is closer to my generation. A little bit easier to connect with.

Another explosion in chemistry lecture today <3 Hydrogen gas, and he poured the resulting water into my hand. Front row seats ftw!

I wonder whether he'll manage an explosion every lecture.

Ah, I had to miss that particular reaction when our chemistry professor did it.

Anything with quick and intense flames are things I have to avoid with being seizure prone. I've actually had to sit out parts of labs due to certain flame tests (particularly alkali metal reactions).

Hydrogen combustions produce pretty intense flame from what I understand.

*misses getting to stare at pretty fire*